Recipes!

Whatever4

Re: Recipes!

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:37 am

I made Fresh Peach Frozen Yogurt last night. Quite complicated. 1. Put a quart of plain yogurt in ice cream maker. 2. Run it for a while. 3. Add a fresh peach near the end.

Awesome. Just like Pinkberry, or the Eurotart flavor at 16 Handles.

:confused:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:37 pm

I've discovered the joy of bread baking. One of the easier, tastier attempts lately has been Japanese Milk bread. Really easy and impossible to mess up. Instead of a standard rise it starts with a roux. Yum! English muffins were pretty awesome also but a lot more work.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... lls-recipe

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Princess foofypants wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:37 pm
I've discovered the joy of bread baking. One of the easier, tastier attempts lately has been Japanese Milk bread. Really easy and impossible to mess up. Instead of a standard rise it starts with a roux. Yum! English muffins were pretty awesome also but a lot more work.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes ... lls-recipe

Hmmmm.... might be time for a visit! :blink:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Definitely!!!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

After I got bit by the lone star tick ( :twoup: ) and got hit with the resulting food allergies, foods for me generally fell into three categories: foods that would kill me quickly, foods that would kill me slowly, and foods that would not kill me.

The problem with foods that would not kill me (vegetables, fish, and poulty) is that I just. don’t. like. them. I went into this huge emotional melt-down, and thought, fuck it, if it’s not going to kill me quickly, I’m eating everything in sight. Mainly, that meant bread, chips and crackers. And that food that won’t kill me? Fuck that shit. Predictably, I put on a ton of weight.

I finally decided I needed to get a grip. I started seeing a registered dietician, and she has helped me find ways to enjoy food the old me wouldn’t have eated in a million years (still no fish, though — there isn’t enough money in the world that would entice me to put fish in my mouth). I’m down 15 lbs so far.

Anyhoo, one of my old favorite snacks that would kill me quickly (and slowly, if it didn’t manage to kill me quickly) is Snyder’s of Hanover Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzel Pieces. OMG. The tangy, sweet, salty, crunchy. I missed it so much.

So, how to recreate that taste in a food that won’t kill me? Roasted maple dijon chickpeas (this got my dietician’s stamp of approval).

Here’s how to make it...

1/4 c maple syrup (you could use honey)
3 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1. Roast chickpeas 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees (almost crunchy): reduce oven temp to 300.
2. Meanwhile, whisk all other ingredients together until well-combined
3. Stir hot chickpeas into sauce until all are coated
4. Return to cookie sheet, place in 300 degree oven and roast until crispy (this can take some time, and you have to cook them long enough to be crunchy, but not so long or at so high a heat that the coating will burn.)

If they get soft overnight, just return them to the oven for 20 minutes or so.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:01 am

Shrimp, olive oil, Italian seasoning, grilling pan, very hot fire. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:37 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am
After I got bit by the lone star tick ( :twoup: ) and got hit with the resulting food allergies, foods for me generally fell into three categories: foods that would kill me quickly, foods that would kill me slowly, and foods that would not kill me.

The problem with foods that would not kill me (vegetables, fish, and poulty) is that I just. don’t. like. them. I went into this huge emotional melt-down, and thought, fuck it, if it’s not going to kill me quickly, I’m eating everything in sight. Mainly, that meant bread, chips and crackers. And that food that won’t kill me? Fuck that shit. Predictably, I put on a ton of weight.

I finally decided I needed to get a grip. I started seeing a registered dietician, and she has helped me find ways to enjoy food the old me wouldn’t have eated in a million years (still no fish, though — there isn’t enough money in the world that would entice me to put fish in my mouth). I’m down 15 lbs so far.

Anyhoo, one of my old favorite snacks that would kill me quickly (and slowly, if it didn’t manage to kill me quickly) is Snyder’s of Hanover Honey Mustard and Onion Pretzel Pieces. OMG. The tangy, sweet, salty, crunchy. I missed it so much.

So, how to recreate that taste in a food that won’t kill me? Roasted maple dijon chickpeas (this got my dietician’s stamp of approval).

Here’s how to make it...

1/4 c maple syrup (you could use honey)
3 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1. Roast chickpeas 45-50 minutes at 375 degrees (almost crunchy): reduce oven temp to 300.
2. Meanwhile, whisk all other ingredients together until well-combined
3. Stir hot chickpeas into sauce until all are coated
4. Return to cookie sheet, place in 300 degree oven and roast until crispy (this can take some time, and you have to cook them long enough to be crunchy, but not so long or at so high a heat that the coating will burn.)

If they get soft overnight, just return them to the oven for 20 minutes or so.
I’ve wanted to try the roasted chickpea thing for a while. (Hint.)

-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Mrs.V. made lobster salad last night. :-D

Lobster, chopped onions, chopped celery, mayo and parsley.

To make it perfect the lobster meat was a gift. We still know people who know people who pull lobsters from the sea for a living.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am

This is it! This is the caesar salad I have been waiting for my whole life.

At a little Italian restaurant in Scituate MA.

:thumbs: Several fillets of anchovies top the salad. Not just a bit of anchovy paste used in the dressing. Lots of anchovy flavor. :thumbs:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

Yeah, most casesar salads these days totally omit the anchovies. I like them, although usually one or two are enough for me. But when we can get them on a salad, my husband is more than happy to finish off any I don't eat.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Looks like a really good salad to me, and I like anchovies. How was the dressing? That is what usually makes or breaks it for me• I've had way more bad/really disappointing than good.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm

For those of you with Instant Pots, can I make boiled peanuts in them?

And other than red wine and cinnamon, anything I can do with pears?

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Don't know about Instant Pots, but I've made them in a rice cooker.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:

I see lots of instant pot boiled peanut recipes on the web, but I've never made them.

pear crisp, pear bread pudding.. mmmmm

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

vic

Post by vic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:

Yes, you can.

For a while after I bought my IP, I was was a devoted reader of the posts on a number of Facebook groups * and some related web sites, and saw references to boiled peanuts in the IP.

I think I might have seen you or someone else post about boiled peanuts here, so I decided to try it myself. Not being in the south, I ordered a kit from Amazon (Chris & Dave's Make Your Own Boiled Peanuts Kit).

Since I'd never had boiled peanuts before, I can't say how well they worked in the IP. The kit had salt and cajun seasoning. They were interesting, but too spicy for me; perhaps as a novice, I used too much seasoning.

* the Facebook groups I joined
► Show Spoiler
Searching Instant Pot boiled peanuts on facebook gave links to external web sites, videos, posts.

Here are some of the external links

Instant Pot Southern Boiled Peanuts

How to Make Boiled Peanuts in the Instant Pot

Boiled Peanuts in the Instant Pot (youtube video; they use the same product that I bought on Amazon)

vic

Post by vic » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Disclaimer - I don't cook much, but hope to. So I've bookmarked lots of Instant Pot recipes in hopes of making some of them someday.

I've done a quick cleanup on the bookmarks; mostly to reduce it to site URLs rather than links to individual recipes. I didn't include sites where I only had a couple of recipes bookmarked unless the site seemed to be targeted to Instant Pots or pressure cookers generally. I'm not sure how this will work, so I'm putting them inside a spoiler

(Except for this one, especially for Sugar: Southern Family Lifestyle / Recipes / Instant Pot

► Show Spoiler

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 am

Thanks Vic. I was hoping for someone who had actually tried them in the IP since I got a sleeve of green peanuts yesterday and was dreading hauling out the shrimp pot and heating up the kitchen all day to cook them. I usually do mine sort of mid-spicy but pretty salty. Not being able to taste the water as they cook may mean some adjusting of the crab boil, salt and Tony Chachere's, but that won't be a huge problem since the pot is so small (relative to my 20 qt shrimp pot) and I can adjust for each batch.

I am curious about the potato salad recipe on that southern link though. Is celery in potato salad a Southern thing? I don't think I've ever had it any other way unless it was that weird kind that uses chunks of small red potatoes and vinegar, and even that I can't swear didn't have celery.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 pm

:prettyplease:
Since we're on the subject of kitchen appliances, I have a question about the fancy, new toaster ovens, such as this one:

https://www.cuisinart.com

I have one of those huge Viking 6-burner stoves (came with the house). More and more, it's bugging me that I'm wasting all those btu's for a couple of baked potatoes or reheating enough leftovers for just two people. Five nights out of seven I cook for two. So that's one reason I'm considering a toaster oven.

I would also like to know if anybody has baked anything (cookies, brownies, cake layers, biscuits, e.g.) in one of these and how it performs compared with baking in a conventional oven. When you get down to the nuts and bolts, the Cuisinart, billed as an "air fryer," is really just an efficient convection oven.

Counter space isn't a big issue in my kitchen.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

arock

Post by arock » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:27 pm

I have a 7-year old convection toaster oven, so I can only partially answer your question.

The oven compartment measures a scant 12 x 12 x 7, smaller than the model you're looking at. (It has a button for 4 pieces of toast, not 6.)

I started baking in it because using my range's large oven seemed wasteful. Brownies, quick breads, biscuits. 8 x 8 pan for the brownies.

I start with the recipe's listed temperature so the liquid and leavening agent(s) can do their magic, then once the batter has risen and isn't likely to collapse, I lower the temp 25-50 degrees (and bake longer). The unit bakes a little unevenly, hotter in the back, so I turn the pan and usually tent it with alum foil because the top tends to brown.

All in all, it's more fidgeting and tending, but it works. The larger compartment of the unit you're looking at should work better.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:28 pm

We have an ancient Krups convection toaster oven.. The only thing I've ever "baked" in it is biscuits, and they came out fine.

We use it a lot for baked potatoes, reheating bread/rolls, roasting sausage.. works well.

One thing I've noticed about a lot of the current generation of these things, when I've investigated them while wandering around department or cooking stores, is that they feel like junk. Especially the knobs, they feel like they'll break if you look at them wrong.

Just MHO.

...tom

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 am
Thanks Vic. I was hoping for someone who had actually tried them in the IP since I got a sleeve of green peanuts yesterday and was dreading hauling out the shrimp pot and heating up the kitchen all day to cook them. I usually do mine sort of mid-spicy but pretty salty. Not being able to taste the water as they cook may mean some adjusting of the crab boil, salt and Tony Chachere's, but that won't be a huge problem since the pot is so small (relative to my 20 qt shrimp pot) and I can adjust for each batch.

I am curious about the potato salad recipe on that southern link though. Is celery in potato salad a Southern thing? I don't think I've ever had it any other way unless it was that weird kind that uses chunks of small red potatoes and vinegar, and even that I can't swear didn't have celery.
If I were prone to cooking things like large pots of shrimp or peanuts or whatever in your climate I would invest in one of those turkey deep fryer thingies Sam's has periodically and cook stuff like that outside. Heat and stink outside.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:45 am
This is it! This is the caesar salad I have been waiting for my whole life.

At a little Italian restaurant in Scituate MA.

:thumbs: Several fillets of anchovies top the salad. Not just a bit of anchovy paste used in the dressing. Lots of anchovy flavor. :thumbs:
Looks great. And if "waiting for my whole life" is any indicator, finding it in MA is no surprise. I found the best Paella (seafood stew) in New Bedford on the docks at a Portuguese townie bar. English was distinctly the second language. They had a Ceasar to knock your socks off.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 pm
:prettyplease:
Since we're on the subject of kitchen appliances, I have a question about the fancy, new toaster ovens, such as this one:

https://www.cuisinart.com

I have one of those huge Viking 6-burner stoves (came with the house). More and more, it's bugging me that I'm wasting all those btu's for a couple of baked potatoes or reheating enough leftovers for just two people. Five nights out of seven I cook for two. So that's one reason I'm considering a toaster oven.

I would also like to know if anybody has baked anything (cookies, brownies, cake layers, biscuits, e.g.) in one of these and how it performs compared with baking in a conventional oven. When you get down to the nuts and bolts, the Cuisinart, billed as an "air fryer," is really just an efficient convection oven.

Counter space isn't a big issue in my kitchen.
Without looking at the power specs for the Cuisinart oven versus your existing electric oven, there is a strong possibility your big oven is more efficient because it uses 220VAC rather than 110VAC. It may also have better insulation to hold the heat on the food rather than heat the room. Our GE Adora with six burner glass top and full size convection uses less power than a large Hamilton Beach convection toaster oven Mrs bought.

That said, Mrs bought it because she has difficulty bending over. An oven on the counter is much more betterer. So, if that's a consideration, go for it.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks, everybody for the thoughts on toaster ovens. :bighug: :thumbs:

My Viking oven is gas, and it uses a lot of it. It's a huge oven (I can cook two 14-lb. turkeys in it, with room to spare) and most of that heated space is utterly wasted.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:52 pm
Thanks, everybody for the thoughts on toaster ovens. :bighug: :thumbs:

My Viking oven is gas, and it uses a lot of it. It's a huge oven (I can cook two 14-lb. turkeys in it, with room to spare) and most of that heated space is utterly wasted.
Well, in that case, yeah - a counter top electric makes a lot of sense. And I've never gone wrong with CuisinArt products. Always a good choice.

Return to “The Lounge”