Recipes!

Judge Roy Bean

Re: Recipes!

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Salmon lovers, get some Japanese Ponzu sauce (basically citrus-infused soy sauce) and try this with your toaster oven (we haven't tried it in a large oven for more than just the two of us):

Get the best salmon fillet you can - doesn't have to be sushi/sashimi grade because you're going to cook it but as with any fish, the better you get (i.e., Norwegian) the better the end product.

Line an oven roasting pan that will fit in your toaster oven with a sheet of crumpled then flattened out aluminum foil. Spray very lightly with non-stick oil.

Slice a small yellow onion as thin as you possibly can. If you have a mandolin this is the time to use it.

Wash a large lemon or two small ones and slice off the ends, then slice across into the thinnest pieces you can.

Turn on your toaster oven to broil with the rack in a position that won't damage your roasting pan.

Depending on thickness, apply a layer or two of onion slices into the lined roasting pan, followed by a layer or two of lemons. Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of the ponzu over the onions and lemons. (I don't measure much so your mileage may vary.)

If you like heat, sprinkle some red pepper flakes in there.

Slice the salmon into thin slabs (less than 1/2") by cutting at steep angles across the fillet and lay the slices over the lemon and onion in a single layer - don't overlap them. Sprinkle again with a little bit of ponzu and then fresh-ground black pepper. If you're a real fan of ponzu, baste it after a few minutes.

Broil until you start to see some browning occur on the edges. If you like it rare, take out the pan and cover with foil, turn off the oven and put the pan back in with the door open to finish and rest while you get ready to plate. If you like it done more, cover and put the pan back in the oven, set to bake at 325 and wait a few more minutes before you take it out to rest.

Serve the salmon, onions and lemons over a bed of warm sushi rice and garnish with chopped chives and toasted sesame seeds. Pour the juices from the pan over the servings.

We like edamame or spinach with with it. :thumbs:

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Raisin shortage! :shock:

Currant affairs: how to survive the hot cross bun dried-fruit shortage
Reports today suggest the price of sultanas, raisins and currants are set to rise steeply after a huge loss of Californian grapes because of wild fires and water shortages in autumn last year. This will affect many of our traditional baked goods, from chelsea buns to eccles cakes and, of course, the Easter treat awaiting us all – most especially those who have observed Lenten austerity – the hot cross bun.

Hot cross buns, an Easter staple way before chocolate, with their zing of candied citrus and warm spicing, will need new additions this year – with chocolate and salted caramel chips mooted as possible replacements. But they are not the only alternatives to raisins.

If you are making your own, keep to a regular dough (I favour the one in Elizabeth David’s English Bread and Yeast Cookery) and lower the sugar a bit if using something with extra sweetness. Add any of these alternatives when knocking back the dough so as not to retard or kill the yeast while proving.

Other dried fruit
Try goji berries or cranberries, or go for a space-age theme with something freeze-dried. To keep on a more traditional path, roughly chopped prunes, figs or dates would be just the ticket.
I blame Trump. :madguy:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm
Raisin shortage! :shock:

Currant affairs: how to survive the hot cross bun dried-fruit shortage

:snippity:

I blame Trump. :madguy:
He will sign an EO to hasten the growing of fresh grapes. In his next tweet he will praise that the shops are full of raisins again. :doh: :lol:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm

For those of you who have never tried a Mississippi pot roast (no idea why it's named that) you really need to.
Pot roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg dry au jus mix
pepperoncini peppers and some of the juice
1 stick of butter

Put it in a crock pot and cook it.

The first time I heard of it and saw the recipe, I thought it sounded nasty, then we had it at a friend's one night and we literally stopped at the Kroger on the way home to get the stuff we needed to make it. Sometimes I substitute Tony Chachere's brown gravy mix for the au jus.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I've been seeing a lot of good about the instant pot thingy. I guess one of these days I'll have to break down and get one, dangit.

On another note, I made sourdough bread yesterday. (Need to remember to feed the barm today.) It's not a "tangy" as commercial sourdoughs, but I like it just fine. As do the roomies, so I think it's a good thing.

I had made sourdough once before with a scratch starter years ago and ended up having to toss out the starter because I neglected it. Never made more. Well, gonna pay better attention to it this time.

If anyone wants any sourdough barm/starter, it can be frozen and shipped in dry ice, I'm thinking.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 am

Jez wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:31 pm

If anyone wants any sourdough barm/starter, it can be frozen and shipped in dry ice, I'm thinking.
Even easier than that, it can be dried. Drying it is also a good way to take a "break" from the care and feeding of the starter without having to start from scratch every time.
https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/0 ... rter-hold/

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 am
Jez wrote:

Even easier than that, it can be dried. Drying it is also a good way to take a "break" from the care and feeding of the starter without having to start from scratch every time.
Might try that. Just need to figure out how to keep the cats from walking on it or trying to eat it.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 am

Jez wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 am
Jez wrote:

Might try that. Just need to figure out how to keep the cats from walking on it or trying to eat it.
Put it in the oven. That's how we keep our cats off of stuff.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm
For those of you who have never tried a Mississippi pot roast (no idea why it's named that) you really need to.
Pot roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg dry au jus mix
pepperoncini peppers and some of the juice
1 stick of butter

Put it in a crock pot and cook it.

The first time I heard of it and saw the recipe, I thought it sounded nasty, then we had it at a friend's one night and we literally stopped at the Kroger on the way home to get the stuff we needed to make it. Sometimes I substitute Tony Chachere's brown gravy mix for the au jus.
Okay this is getting positively eerie. (We need a Twilight Zone emoji, stat)
A week or two ago someone I work with mentioned "funeral potatoes", which was something I'd never heard of before. I was going to ask here if anyone could describe them, and suddenly we got a post on them.

Right after hearing about funeral potatoes, I'd heard the term "Mississippi pot roast" for the first time, too also. Same thing - was gonna ask here and now look - Sugar has edumacated this here ignorant Northerner on it! (Sounds gooood, too.)

The more prosaic version we do up here (which my aunt calls "Sodium Bomb Beef") is:

Arm roast
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 packet Lipton onion soup dry mix

Roast in crock pot, sprinkle with dry onion soup mix, pour condensed soups over, cook for many hours. The meat releases mucho juices, which mix with the condensed soups to make a pretty decent gravy.
I prefer to only use a tablespoon of the onion soup mix, first rubbing the roast with a mixture of 2 tsp each worcestershire and soy, plus 1 tsp beef bouillon paste. Sprinkle over the dry soup mix and fresh ground pepper. Let it sit for a couple of hours in the fridge, brown it, then throw it in the crockpot and continue from there.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:15 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 am

The more prosaic version we do up here (which my aunt calls "Sodium Bomb Beef") is:
Oddly enough, with only the 1/2 cup or so juice from the peppers and the stick of butter, the Mississippi roast makes plenty of juice and is a great gravy base. My family would revolt if I didn't make skillet gravy so I use the juice from the crock pot.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Made this in the instantpot tonight.. chicken and lentil soup: https://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot ... icken-and/

excellent.. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs because that's what I had. Easy to make, rich taste and texture, very satisfying.. and pretty healthy..

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am

So the Instapot seems a hit. Which model? Which features? We are in the midst of moving and need to change out some appliances.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

tek

Post by tek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am

I have an "Instant Pot Duo Plus 6qt"

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 am

tek wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:18 am
I have an "Instant Pot Duo Plus 6qt"
There's an Instant Pot product recall - apparently the one sold only at Walmart:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/instant ... azard.html
The recall is for Gem 65 8-in-1 model with batchcodes of 1728, 1730, 1731, 1734 or 1746 printed on the rating label underneath the multicooker.
Apparently overheats and could cause a fire.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Janny in Texas

Post by Janny in Texas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:25 am

We have a six qt Instant Pot -- did a whole chicken (delicious); hard and soft boiled eggs, shell peels right off; split pea soup (delicious); potatoes for potato salad. We haven't used the slow cooker feature yet -- only the pressure cooker. But we just got a steamer basket so are going to try asparagus using the steamer feature. It is an amazing pot!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

I've been seeing some things about the Instant Pot lately, but I just got a large air fryer a few months ago, so I'm not ready to take on anything else. I cannot say how much I love the air fryer and I'm sorry I waited so long to get one. I've wanted to do more than one thing at a time in the air fryer a few times already, so I've thought about getting a smaller one, but I'll wait on that. I particularly like meat done in the air fryer, anything from hot dogs (add the bun the last few minutes) to filet mignon.

I'm definitely a crock pot cooker. I used one many years ago and got away from it for a while, but went back to it. A few years ago I bought one of the larger ones that allows you to brown meat, etc., before turning the setting to crock pot. I love it. I make a lot of things that I used to do on the cooktop in that crock pot, so most of my cooking these days is either in the air fryer or the crock pot. I go days without ever turning on a burner on the cooktop except to boil water for tea.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:50 am

I got a Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure in 2016..I love using it. It is great for whole chickens, roast beef and hard boiled eggs and whatever you want to make. I have a board on Pinterest that has a lot of instant pot recipes. I've made lasagna and baked potatoes in it too. It is also great for cooking chicken breasts then dicing them up and freezing for a later use to save you some time in with a recipe. When it comes to soup though, I like making soup on the stove top I enjoy the whole soup making process better on the stove.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am
I've been seeing some things about the Instant Pot lately, but I just got a large air fryer a few months ago, so I'm not ready to take on anything else. I cannot say how much I love the air fryer and I'm sorry I waited so long to get one. I've wanted to do more than one thing at a time in the air fryer a few times already, so I've thought about getting a smaller one, but I'll wait on that. I particularly like meat done in the air fryer, anything from hot dogs (add the bun the last few minutes) to filet mignon.

I'm definitely a crock pot cooker. I used one many years ago and got away from it for a while, but went back to it. A few years ago I bought one of the larger ones that allows you to brown meat, etc., before turning the setting to crock pot. I love it. I make a lot of things that I used to do on the cooktop in that crock pot, so most of my cooking these days is either in the air fryer or the crock pot. I go days without ever turning on a burner on the cooktop except to boil water for tea.
I bought an Airfryer when I moved to my new place, and I use it all the time, I really enjoy using it. I am a kitchen gadget girl..I always run out of room. I store my crockpot and airfryer in the coat closet now,lol, no room in the kitchen.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 am

Lunaluz wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

I bought an Airfryer when I moved to my new place, and I use it all the time, I really enjoy using it. I am a kitchen gadget girl..I always run out of room. I store my crockpot and airfryer in the coat closet now,lol, no room in the kitchen.
I'm also a kitchen gadget gal. My husband just rolls his eyes when I buy something new, but at the same time, he's a mechanical engineer, so he actually likes going with me into kitchen stores as he considers what they sell in there as tools. No one's going to die with more tools than he. :rotflmao:

(And I just bought a new wall-to-ceiling unit to get a lot of the "tools" off my counters. No room in the coat closet.)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm

I have a Ninja 3 in 1

Its basically a fancy slow cooker

I use it all the time.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I bought one of these for my sister. She loves it and uses it every day.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

tek

Post by tek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:00 pm

tonight corned beef in the instant pot.. in (not-instant) slow-cook 'less' mode, it holds right at 180F.. in for about 9 hours, we'll see how it comes out..

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm
I have a Ninja 3 in 1

Its basically a fancy slow cooker

I use it all the time.
That's the one I have. :thumbs:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 pm

What I like about it is using the "stove top" setting to brown meat for Chilli or lasagna or stuff, then finishing g it up in the same pot.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm

There is a new sushi restaurant in town that has happy hour sushi from 5 to 6 and 1/2 price bottles of wine on Wednesdays. Mrs. V. and I treat ourselves to this bargain fairly often.

Tonight Mrs. V. was in the mood for the dessert special which was fried Twinkies. The description on the specials board included chocolate sauce, strawberries and whipped cream. It was too much for her to resist. ;)

Here it is-

It is easy to make-

Dip 3 Twinkies in tempura batter and deep fry.

When golden brown remove and drain then halve the Twinkies and place in a circle on the plate. Add strawberry slices, chocolate sauce and whipped cream.

Serves at least two.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Lounge”