Recipes!

TollandRCR

Re: Recipes!

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:31 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm
We have been having this okra discussion, on and off, since I joined PJ. Ya either likes it, or ya don't. I'm in the don't category. Give me a blue cheese stuffed olive with a martini!!
That turns a martooni into a form of food! Okra is more honest!

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am
Time for my Chocolate Chipotle Chili

With Chocolate from the local Blommers Chocolate Factory.

Mmmmmmmm
Now that's what I am going to add to my next chili pot -- dutched chocolate!!!! :lovestruck:
Two tbs of cocoa powder and about 2oz of unsweetened bittersweet. Two or five chipoltes and 3 tbs of Ancho powder. Other spices to taste

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am
Time for my Chocolate Chipotle Chili

With Chocolate from the local Blommers Chocolate Factory.

Mmmmmmmm
Now that's what I am going to add to my next chili pot -- dutched chocolate!!!! :lovestruck:
Two tbs of cocoa powder and about 2oz of unsweetened bittersweet. Two or five chipoltes and 3 tbs of Ancho powder. Other spices to taste
I don't eat beef but adding chipotle and chocolate to chili might just get me to eat a spoonful or two. Or three or four. Or a whole bowl.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Ground turkey.

:thumbs:

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm
:snippity:
I don't eat beef but adding chipotle and chocolate to chili might just get me to eat a spoonful or two. Or three or four. Or a whole bowl.
Try dipping bacon strips in melted dark chocolate that has been spiked with Penzey's 'Black & Red' pepper blend. :swoon:

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm
RVInit wrote:
Try dipping bacon strips in melted dark chocolate that has been spiked with Penzey's 'Black & Red' pepper blend. :swoon:
Another Penzey's fan? I like their spices and blends. 'Tuscan Sunset' is one of my favorites. The Maharajah curry powder is another one I really like. Black & Red is good, too. Oh, and their horseradish dip mix...yummy. I left a jar of it at a friend's house and she bought me a new jar because she used it all up.

The bacon sounds kind of yummy, too.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am

RVInit wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 pm
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm
RVInit wrote:
Another Penzey's fan? I like their spices and blends. 'Tuscan Sunset' is one of my favorites. The Maharajah curry powder is another one I really like. Black & Red is good, too. Oh, and their horseradish dip mix...yummy. I left a jar of it at a friend's house and she bought me a new jar because she used it all up.

Big Penzey's fan, here. You just have to learn not to use as much of their pepper as you would the grocery-store stuff. IMHO it's almost twice as intense.

And as for the bacon - the dark chocolate and cayenne pepper makes it a health food! :doh:

Walter Lippmann

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am
RVInit wrote:

Big Penzey's fan, here. You just have to learn not to use as much of their pepper as you would the grocery-store stuff. IMHO it's almost twice as intense.

And as for the bacon - the dark chocolate and cayenne pepper makes it a health food! :doh:
:lol: :thumbs:

Yeah, I think Pensey's spices are more intense, they seem much more fresh than what I get at the grocery store. I use the peppercorns, too, in a grinder. Nothing like fresh ground pepper.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:41 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:29 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am
RVInit wrote:

:lol: :thumbs:

Yeah, I think Pensey's spices are more intense, they seem much more fresh than what I get at the grocery store. I use the peppercorns, too, in a grinder. Nothing like fresh ground pepper.
:yeah:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am

:o

NBC News

@NBCNews

Florida citrus growers are having their worst harvest in 73 years after Hurricane Irma.
http://
nbcnews.to/2nY4etX

9:44 AM - Feb 10, 2018

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

Put me down for fresh pepper only! I have several pepper mills filled with different blends, and also from Pensey's. I also love their Mural of Flavor. And, given my Hungarian background, I use paprika the way other people use salt and pepper. If I'm salting and peppering something, I'm putting paprika on it. It is NOT for color. I love the flavor it adds to anything.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm

I love their spices, but I also love their social consciousness, and political stance. And the frequent free shipping deals. And their kitchen towels. And magnets. And all the other little goodies they have available. I gave a bunch of their gift boxes for Christmas this year.

ETA: https://www.penzeys.com/
You can do a lot worse than get on their mailing list.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:39 pm

:yeah:

tek

Post by tek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I gotta put in a Penzey's order soon.. time to rotate out some of the older stock..

Summertime around here: salmon fillet + a bit of olive oil + northwoods + charcoal grill is the go-to meal.. zero effort, excellent taste..

Their Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie blends are very good.. those get a lot of use in the winter..

I guess I've been a customer since about 2000.. I remember my first visit to one of their stores.. in Uptown Minneapolis when I was visiting HQ of the MN company I was working for at that time. Closest store to here is almost two hours (Arlington MA), though we do get out there at times

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 pm

Hay, they haz a store in Rawly! :dance:

"When my fist clenches, crack it open,
before I use it and lose my cool,
and when I smile, tell me some bad news,
before I laugh, and act like a fool."
- The Who

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Ultimate indoor pan-sear steak rub: Two-thirds Penzey's Chicago Steak, one third Penzey's English Prime Rib Rub.

Ultimate beef roast rub for oven or slow cooker: (Reverse the above ratio.) :lovestruck:

But outdoors on the grill it's wood fire or charcoal and nothing but salt and pepper.

Walter Lippmann

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 pm
I love their spices, but I also love their social consciousness, and political stance. And the frequent free shipping deals. And their kitchen towels. And magnets. And all the other little goodies they have available. I gave a bunch of their gift boxes for Christmas this year.

ETA: https://www.penzeys.com/
You can do a lot worse than get on their mailing list.
I'm a fan of their original family business, which was started by their Ukrainian immigrant parents and is now run by the daughters. The parents started their spice store, called The Spice House - in Milwaukee, and the kids grew up working alongside their parents. The parents emphasized to them their basic tenets: buy the best quality herbs and spices, and grind/mix the herbs and spices fresh every week. They brewed their vanilla longer to make it stronger and also dropped a vanilla bean inside every bottle they sold.

After the parents retired/passed, the kids had to split up the business. Bill decided to go his own way. He took the family name to be the name of his new company. He decided open up a chain of stores. This meant he had to deviate from what his parents taught him - instead of grinding small amounts fresh every week, he'd have to grind, mix, package and warehouse to supply his chain of stores. According to his sisters, he also took shortcuts with his vanilla.

In the meantime, his sisters have continued running their small chain of shops in the Wisconsin/Illinois area, still following their parents' teachings, still under the original business name. You can order online at http://www.thespicehouse.com

Another difference between the two business: Penzeys began developing their own line of spice mixtures, while The Spice House continues to offer spice mixes originally developed by their parents. If, for example, you want their Ukrainian seasoned salt mix, you have to get it from The Spice House, 'cause it isn't sold by Penzeys.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:53 pm

The Quorn revolution: the rise of ultra-processed fake meat

It was reported last week that Quorn is on course to become a billion-dollar business. It is part of a booming industry of meat alternatives – but many of these products are a far cry from the idea of a natural, plant-based diet

Joanna Blythman
Mon 12 Feb 2018 14.39 GMT Last modified on Mon 12 Feb 2018 15.47 GMT

What exactly is Quorn? I have been asked that question regularly for more than 30 years. This may be a reflection of the general population’s scientific illiteracy, but most people remain hazy about the composition of Quorn – even those who eat it regularly. However, many of us are prepared to accept this understanding gap because Quorn seems to be on the right side of the prevailing food paradigm, which holds that eating meat, fish, dairy and eggs is a redneck habit that has had its day, one that amounts to propagating cruelty and environmental ruin and will lead to dire consequences for human health. On the other hand, “plant food” – an appealing neologism for vegetarian and vegan that owes its intellectual heft to US food writer Michael Pollan’s maxim “Eat food, not too much, mostly plants” – is riding high on a wave of moral purity and an extravagant “feed the world and save the planet” promise.

The short explanation is that Quorn is a “mycoprotein” fermented in vats from a fungus found in soil. A fuller – but still heavily truncated – one is that it is made from a strain of the soil mould Fusarium venenatum by fermenting it, then adding glucose, fixed nitrogen, vitamins and minerals and heat-treating it to remove excess levels of ribonucleic acid. (In other words, it is a long way from what the phrase “plant food” may seem to denote.)

Quorn’s sales have steadily increased, but it was reported last week that they leapt globally by 16% last year, with growth in Europe and the US running at 27% and 35% respectively. The company’s bosses expect it to become a billion-dollar business by 2027.

The brand was launched in 1985 by Marlow Foods as a joint venture between the bakery giant Rank Hovis McDougall (since acquired by Premier Foods) and the chemical corporation ICI (now part of AkzoNobel). The search for artificial protein sources in the 1960s was prompted by fears that food supplies for humans would be rapidly exceeded by global population growth. Petroleum and chemical companies, including BP and ICI, funded projects to coax edible yeasts, moulds and bacterium to grow. A team from ICI eventually found F venenatum, but it was not until 1985 that the government approved the sale of Quorn.

The company is now owned by the Philippine food conglomerate Monde Nissin, which includes other popular ultra-processed food brands in its portfolio. Quorn has built up a range of more than 100 products, from mince and sausages to goat’s cheese and cranberry escalopes and toad in the hole, and it is beefing up – excuse the pun – its vegan range; most Quorn products contain egg (free-range egg in the UK), but its vegan equivalents use potato protein instead. With artful use of additives and hi-tech ingredients in the food manufacturer’s cabinet – factory flavourings and colourings, milk proteins, tapioca starch, palm oil, pea fibre, firming and gelling agents and so on – it seems that many of us will take chameleonic Quorn at face value as a dead ringer for everything from steak and bacon to gammon, chicken supreme and hot dogs.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -fake-meat

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Cause it's food too
EAT ME! Brit cake designer creates $1million life-sized edible bride

A million-dollar wedding cake depicting an Arab bride was unveiled by British fashion designer Debbie Wingham at the BRIDE show in Dubai on Sunday.

The life-size cake weighing 120 kg (264 lbs) is edible from head to toe.

It was adorned with five flawless three-carat white diamonds, each valued at USD 200,000 (EUR 163,326), along with a 1000 pearls, earning it the moniker "The Million Dollar Bride".

Wingham used 50 kg (110 lbs) of fondant and about 20 kg (44 lbs) of chocolate to make the cake, and sculpted the face with modelling chocolate to give it a realistic, contoured look, the 36 year-old designer said.

"Today we are actually going to cut into her. And I think that is shameful, because I've been working on her for five days and I slept literally twelve hours in five days. She is a high-maintenance, this one, but I'm really happy with her," Wingham said before cutting into her sweet magnum opus.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Wow, that was a lot of work!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 am

Last night's dinner

http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/chipo ... ed-shrimp/

Hot, spicy and delicious.

Although the garlic made me thirsty

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:36 am

Sam Adams' Lager is one of my favorite beers to drink with pretty much all spicy foods, a really great combination.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Speaking of Penzeys spices-

Yesterday Mrs. V. went to the Penzeys store in Houston. She selected about $39 worth of spices and went to pay. While at the register she happened to mention to the clerk that she had lost a lot of her spices due to Hurricane Harvey. The clerk said that Penzeys was giving Harvey victims $50 gift cards. So Mrs. V. got those spices for free and an $11 gift card toward future purchases.

Thank you Penzeys! :thumbs:

tek

Post by tek » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:11 pm

A few weeks back we got an "instant pot" .. figuring we'd pass on our crock pot and pressure cooker to deserving folks..

Anyway, tonight made pork shoulder (butt, actually) in pressure-cooker mode..

Oh my.

I've never had fall-apart pork like this even after 8 hours.. Total cook time with heat-up and cool-down is about 1:20..

And the inner pot just goes in the dishwasher.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:16 pm

tek wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:11 pm
A few weeks back we got an "instant pot" .. figuring we'd pass on our crock pot and pressure cooker to deserving folks..

Anyway, tonight made pork shoulder (butt, actually) in pressure-cooker mode..

Oh my.

I've never had fall-apart pork like this even after 8 hours.. Total cook time with heat-up and cool-down is about 1:20..

And the inner pot just goes in the dishwasher.
We love our Instant Pot. :thumbs: We are rediscovering the joys of pressure cooking. :)

Return to “The Lounge”