Recipes!

Fiona

Re: Recipes!

Post by Fiona » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 am

Luna, that sounds great. When should I arrive for dinner? Merry Christmas to all here at FB!

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Fiona wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 am
Luna, that sounds great. When should I arrive for dinner? Merry Christmas to all here at FB!
Lol, there will be plenty.. Merry Christmas.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm

This was the onion and Gruyere cheese our daughter made for Christmas Brunch.
she used a store-bought pie crust. It was every bit as good as it looked. :-D
4 large eggs
1 large yellow onion
4 to 5 ounces of shredded Gruyere cheese
2 cups half and half
About 1 cup flat parsley leaves
2 tbs olive oil

Dice the onion and sauté in oil until slightly browned.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add half and half, onions, parsley and cheese. Mix well.

Pour into pie crust and bake at 375F for 40 minutes.

Let stand for 5-6 minutes before serving.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 am

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:28 pm

This was the onion and Gruyere cheese our daughter made for Christmas Brunch.
she used a store-bought pie crust. It was every bit as good as it looked. :-D
4 large eggs
1 large yellow onion
4 to 5 ounces of shredded Gruyere cheese
2 cups half and half
About 1 cup flat parsley leaves
2 tbs olive oil

Dice the onion and sauté in oil until slightly browned.

Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add half and half, onions, parsley and cheese. Mix well.

Pour into pie crust and bake at 375F for 40 minutes.

Let stand for 5-6 minutes before serving.
Quite the Swiss touch there. Such pies are a traditional Friday dish. Historical background was that the small farming communities had a common large wood oven (much the smaller sized pizza ovens). On Fridays each family would bring along their own prepared breads for baking in the early morning (on a schedule as to keep the dough fresh), the fresh bread for Sunday and the rest of the week. Towards noon they would bring the various forms of pies to cook with the remaining warmth of the oven ready for lunch.

PS. drop some small chunks of bacon or smoked ham into the mix ;)

PPS. variants are with Swiss Cheese rather than Gruyere, without the onions, add thinly slice tomatoes ontop. Or vegetarian plain spinach or minced (with bacon), or any other kind of vegetble you fancy. Thin cut potatoes mix also well with the cheese variants.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Don't view around dinner time

What Are You Really Eating?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:55 pm

That was an interesting video. Some of it I knew. I think I'll bring back a jar of honey next time I'm in Europe. I only grind my own coffee beans. I'm glad I don't drink much "orange juice," and I already knew about the Kobe beef. In general, though, it's depressing that the USA rates so low on the quality of food here, but it doesn't come as a real surprise.

We don't eat a huge amount of beef, but when we were in Argentina, the beef was so much different than here. It was just incredibly tasty.

Jez

Post by Jez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 am

I am going on an adventure.

When I moved, I ended up "forgetting" (i.e., throwing away) my sourdough starter. I'd had it for so long, I'm not even sure if I remember where I got it from. And yes, a friend "gifted" me some starter. I just had to keep it fed with some rye flour on occasion. Made some rather tasty sourdough bread.

Well, now I'm going to be making some. I just kept mine in a tupperware container. I did keep it in the fridge after awhile and would just take out and "revive" what I needed when I wanted to make sourdough bread.

I've seen sourdough crocks here and there that are made to store the starter. Might look into those as well.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 am

This was in "Good Housekeeping" about 35 years ago. The Elbow Room is still in business and the parking lot is usually full. The name "Elbow Room" probably refers to the restaurant's small size and the closeness of its tables to each other. It opened in 1958.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:21 pm

One Youtube channel I follow since a couple of years has just reached the amazing number of 1 million subscribers !

The two guys, gay couple, live in the country side, and they sometimes feature their pet owl. I did never see them mention their location, but must be in the northern part of the US with mild winters. They have never shown their home in any video, they hardly eer show their faces. They have an own herb garden and plant their own vegetable. I infer from their clips that they do much of their own harvesting and keep preserves over winter time. What they show is a couple of their outdoor cooking places with chimney fire. Mostly they prefer to make their cooking over open fire out in the woods. They live near a creek and near a river, so these give the backgrounde to their videos. One of the guys does the filming while his partner does the cooking. The outstanding feature is that they don't speak a word during their clips. Some explanations on the recipe gets cast in with video editing. One of the features of cooking "in the wild" is the slab of wood the cook uses, and his special knife. Over time and on request they have started to commercialize these two items on a small scale.

Here the Youtube channel to explore: Almazan Kitchen
with link to the videos

and some arbitrary choices of their contributions, starting with the most recent one:

1 Million Subscribers Video! - Faces Revealed! - Fried Unicorn

HANDMADE PASTA IN THE FOREST! - feat. Mr.Ramsay the Owl

HOW TO MAKE BEST BURGER EVER! - Serbian Pljeskavica - Gurmanska Pljeskavica

30 Days Old Steak (4K) - SUPERIOR STEAK IN THE FOREST

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:06 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:21 pm
One Youtube channel I follow since a couple of years has just reached the amazing number of 1 million subscribers !

The two guys, gay couple, live in the country side, and they sometimes feature their pet owl. I did never see them mention their location, but must be in the northern part of the US with mild winters. They have never shown their home in any video, they hardly eer show their faces.
Er... they are an uncle and nephew living in Serbia, I think.,

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:06 pm
RTH10260 wrote:

The two guys, gay couple, live in the country side, and they sometimes feature their pet owl. I did never see them mention their location, but must be in the northern part of the US with mild winters. They have never shown their home in any video, they hardly eer show their faces.
Er... they are an uncle and nephew living in Serbia, I think.,
:o :shock: :o

IFF true - a yuuge ouch on my side :bag: - I remember them mentioning a Serbian twist to their food as past of their clip titles. But I truely believed them living in the US. Though I now did see one of their online shops is charging items in € Euros.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AlmazanKitchenRecipes/
Welcome to AlmazanKitchen!

We share with you our passion for simple and delicious recipes, using organic homemade ingredients with a note of Serbian traditional cuisine! We cook on fire & coal, mixing different cooking techniques and styles, tho all our recipes can be prepared by you at your home.
Subscribe to our channel, don't miss the upcoming videos! We are always glad to know how did our recipes go for you, did you try them, did you like them? Feel free to comment and share you suggestions for future recipes!

Enjoy, and thank you for visiting!
Their website - http://www.almazankitchen.com/
Edit: the website is located in Serbia.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 am

RTH10260 wrote:

The two guys, gay couple, live in the country side, and they sometimes feature their pet owl. I did never see them mention their location, but must be in the northern part of the US with mild winters.
Off Topic
Had they actually been in the US, they'd have been in violation of the Migratory Bird Act with their possession of the owl. Possessing native wildlife, even an egg or a feather, is potentially a felony under the act.

A local woman was charged after she was found to be selling stuff at craft fairs that included feathers she'd collected in the wild. She got off fairly lightly, but didn't learn from it, complaining that it should be legal to pick up and use feathers.
Yeah, lady, and then people start killing the birds to collect the feathers to meet the new demand.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am

Time for my Chocolate Chipotle Chili

With Chocolate from the local Blommers Chocolate Factory.

Mmmmmmmm

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:41 am

Mmmmmmmm
Yum. I use dutched cocoa in mine.

Image Image Image Image Image

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:59 pm
Chilidog wrote:

Mmmmmmmm
Yum. I use dutched cocoa in mine.
In mine, I go easy on the cumin, but add extra Ancho powder

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:44 pm

That is good Texas chili (assuming you leave out the red tomatoes and beans), but what have you to say about okra and green tomatoes?

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Okra
:sick:

And this ain't Texas.

Tomatoes and beans are in.

Just don't put it on top of Spaghetti like they do in Cincinnati

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 pm

But the instant you put okra in it, it stops being chili and starts being gumbo. Not that that's a bad thing.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 pm
But the instant you put okra in it, it stops being chili and starts being gumbo. Not that that's a bad thing.
We're having gumbo for supper tonight. Or maybe this afternoon. The smell is making me hungry right now!

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm

I never had okra until I was in the air force and loved it. Some years later, making dinner for my family, I served okra never thinking to ask if anyone liked it. Turns out I was raised in a family of okra haters. They all like pears (which are vile) too, also. Maybe I'm adopted.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm
I never had okra until I was in the air force and loved it. Some years later, making dinner for my family, I served okra never thinking to ask if anyone liked it. Turns out I was raised in a family of okra haters. They all like pears (which are vile) too, also. Maybe I'm adopted.
Or you were deprived of a good food! Okra is a learned food, much like cracklins. It can be essential to a gumbo, although gumbo file is a better thickener. Or fried it is a wonderful vegetable. As are green tomatoes.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 pm

I have been known to put spicy pickled okra in my martini in place of olives.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

We have been having this okra discussion, on and off, since I joined PJ. Ya either likes it, or ya don't. I'm in the don't category. Give me a blue cheese stuffed olive with a martini!!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Chilidog wrote:

Mmmmmmmm
Now that's what I am going to add to my next chili pot -- dutched chocolate!!!! :lovestruck:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

I made corn chowder for dinner tonight. It's cold with some snow flurries here today, so it seemed like the perfect day for it.

And put me down as not at all liking okra. I've tried it once or twice and just can't do it. Another thing I can't eat is collard greens. We ate in a local restaurant in Charleston that made the best Southern fried chicken in the world! The meal came with collard greens, so I figured if I was ever going to have some perfectly prepared that would be the place. :sick: The waitress very nicely removed the dish and gave me something else. We ate there on another trip there, but I knew to ask for another vegetable the second time.

Return to “The Lounge”