Recipes!

tek

Re: Recipes!

Post by tek » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm

"Tom Brady made me eat 'coconut bacon' - I tried the TB12 Performance Meals so you don't have to"

http://www.masslive.com/food/2017/11/to ... rt_m-rpt-2
Spaghetti carbonara is pretty simple dish based around flour pasta, eggs, Parmesan cheese and cured Italian meats. This version does not include a single one of those ingredients.
Was it worth $78 for three meals? That's up to you and your wallet. (Mine is glaring at me angrily.)

That right-wing hooey sure stunk up the joint

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 am

Google Doodle Pays a Tasty Tribute to Thailand's Signature Dish: Pad Thai
Google celebrates Pad Thai with a Nov. 7, 2017 doodle.

By TIME Staff Updated: November 7, 2017 7:10 AM ET

Hungry? You will be after Google’s homage to Pad Thai, one of the national dishes of Thailand. Tuesday’s Google Doodle, inspired by a team member’s research into cooking up the perfect bowl of Pad Thai, presents an illustrated slide show taking users through all the steps of creating the classic.

Now ubiquitous on streets throughout the Kingdom, this noodley delicacy has humble origins. According to Google, Thais turned to rice noodles for a cheap and filling alternative amid shortages of rice during the Second World War. A salty-sweet recipe mixing in vegetables and inexpensive protein like prawns quickly caught on, and before long all the hawkers were making it.

Overnight, Google said, a national favorite was born.

http://time.com/5012887/google-doodle-p ... -thailand/ and of course
https://www.google.com on 11/07/2017

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 am

It is that time of year when we sit around a table and demolish dishes in minutes that took hours to make. I can't make it to Dad's for Turkey Day, nor do I spend the time with my brother (which is fine...), not to mention he's in Dallas and I'm not.

The homeowner/housemate is going to the parentals on Thanksgiving so won't be here for the main meal, but fully expects lots of leftovers, which I'm sure I can accommodate that request. But I will be cooking a majority of the meal myself, mainly because the other room mate cannot cook anything that doesn't involve opening a can and dumping it into a microwave safe dish. She claims she makes a good gumbo, but if you can't make your own roux, how can you make good gumbo?

Anyway... This years dinner will consist of a fresh turkey (about 15lb) which I'm picking up tomorrow from a butcher shop near downtown (along with close to 2 lbs of giblets. Won't need all of them, but that is what a freezer is for). The turkey will be brined for most of the day and overnight. Probably going to be putting out in the garage in the bag (in another container of course), mostly because there is not room in the fridge and it's cold enough to be fine. But.. might throw some ice in the bucket anyway. The brine consists of sea salt, apples, juniper berries, lemon peel, star anise, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, onion, and bay leaf. (Williams-Sonoma Autumn Fruit and Spice brine.) The kit comes with a dry rub that I am considering.

The dressing/stuffing consists of some bread crumbs (both white bread and Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing Bread), egg, water from cooking the giblets, the giblets themselves cut up very fine, sautéed onion and celery, herbs and spices. I'll know it's mixed right by the smell (weird, I know, but it's how I was taught). This will go into the turkey and also into a pan that will get more of the giblet water and butter on top to be cooked alongside of the turkey. It will also be basted on occasion with the juice from teh turkey.

The turkey will be covered with butter, both under the skin and on the skin. starting on the breast side down then flipped half way through to help with the cooking evenly thing. No little pop out thing, so gotta check for done the old fashioned way.

To go with turkey and stuffing, I'm considering a sweet potato casserole dish a friend of mine made which is delish, mashed potatoes, gravy (made after the turkey is done) and some kind of veggie for me (which the two roomies that will be here won't eat, because they don't "do" veggies).

I don't want to make too much, since there will only be the three of us. Ais will get her leftovers, that is for sure. If Auntie Fester and the Spawn can eat an entire 15 lb turkey, something is very wrong in the world.

Any suggestions on other sides? Desserts?

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am

Brussels sprouts

Fry several strips of bacon
Remove bacon and caramelize onions in bacon grease
Add Brussels sprouts, cut in half, to onions and bacon grease
Put the crumbled bacon in it
Add (honey, jelly, preserves, sweet vinaigrette) something sweet to the mix *
Saute' until it's cooked to the tenderness you like...if you're using a cast iron skillet, you can also finish it off in the over

* I usually use a raspberry vinaigrette or cranberry pecan horseradish sauce...something like that

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am
Brussels sprouts

Saute' until it's cooked to the tenderness you like...if you're using a cast iron skillet, you can also finish it off in the over

* I usually use a raspberry vinaigrette or cranberry pecan horseradish sauce...something like that
I LOVE sprouts. I am so going to try this. I have some apple jelly from when I made apple jelly glazed game hens the other night.

Thanks Sugar!

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Jez wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am
Brussels sprouts

I LOVE sprouts. I am so going to try this. I have some apple jelly from when I made apple jelly glazed game hens the other night.

Thanks Sugar!
They are so good and so easy. You might want to add a little drop of vinegar or other acid (even pickle juice) if you are using straight jelly. Or not. That's the beauty of this recipe.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:27 pm

My 30qt All American Pressure Canner came in the mail today. :lovestruck:

I can't use it yet, though. :crying: It's made of aluminum, and it won't work on induction (I have induction stoves here and at the cabin). And they say not to use it on propane because too many BTUs. I read on a bunch of blogs that some people do it anyway without any problems, but I'm a rule-follower. And mine would be the one that the pressure-canning gods decided to make an example out of.

So...I went looking for a counter-top cook-top, but the portable ones don't put out enough watts (you need around 1800, and most top out around 1500). So I ordered a two-burner drop-in cooktop, and my husband is going to make me a portable cooktop that I can keep up in the barn when we're not using it. He also needs to wire a 220 outlet for it.

The new stove will be delivered to Lowe's some time in early December. :bored: In the mean time, I can still do water-bath canning. :pickle: I made some tomato sauce last weekend, but I reduced it down too much and ended up with 3.5 pints instead of six. :think: But it was yummy. :thankyou:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:40 pm

Jez,
My mom (the best cook ever) made basically the same stuffing you described. BUT she was too "frugal" to buy stuffing mix, so she'd dry bread out and use that. The point I really wanted to make was that she would grate an apple or two into the mixture. You couldn't actually taste it in the finished product, but it did give some balance and moisture.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:51 pm

My brother's hosting T-day this year. He bought a heritage turkey, which means very little white meat. We have two dark meat lovers in the family, but everyone else prefers white meat. He's also decided to make sauce-not-gravy based on an online recipe, with white wine 'n stuff. The reactions to this from the rest of the family range from cringes to complaints. You don't mess with tradition on T-day.

I knew about it in advance, so I went to the turkey farm, bought a mess of turkey parts, and roasted them to get stock and drippings. I'll be bringing a gallon of traditional gravy. I expect most people will take a courtesy spoonful of his sauce, then seize the gravy jug and dowse everything on their plate with the Real Thing. I'll also be roasting a turkey breast to keep the white meat fans happy.

I'm also the stuffing maker. I've simmered the giblets in stock and will be dicing them soon as they cool. I've chopped the celery and onion and garlic and green pepper. Those get sauteed in butter; when about half-way cooked, I add several healthy shakes of poultry seasoning and herbs du provence (poultry seasoning is too sage-heavy, I like a more balanced herby flavor), plus a generous spoonful of chicken base. The idea is to have those flavors absorbed by the vegetables. I've got the wild rice cooking in more stock. Tomorrow I'll mix all that with cubed cornbread, white bread, and black onion rye bread, and add in a big handful of dried cranberries. Moisten it with the roasted turkey stock and some of the giblet stock and a couple of eggs. I like to bake it in a wide shallow pan to get lots of crispy bits. And I always make a couple pans of stuffin' muffins, to munch on while I'm cooking.

Since I've got over a hundred pounds of spuds from the farm, I'll be making the mashed potatoes, too. One of my sisters gifted me a monster Hubbard squash, which can easily feed a dozen or more. I've been holding that for T-day, and it's in the oven now.

For dessert, I'm bringing a Nantucket (cranberry) pie and a lemon tart. Another sister is bringing pumpkin and apple pies.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:40 pm
Jez,
My mom (the best cook ever) made basically the same stuffing you described. BUT she was too "frugal" to buy stuffing mix, so she'd dry bread out and use that. The point I really wanted to make was that she would grate an apple or two into the mixture. You couldn't actually taste it in the finished product, but it did give some balance and moisture.
Apple! I knew I was missing something from the list! *hurriedly scribbles in on the paper*

I lost the original list of "stuffing stuff" that I had made one time when my mom and I were making Thanksgiving dinner. I've been trying to recreate it in my head the last few times I've made it and it was never quite right. Apple is what I've been missing.

Bless you!

~Khalil Gibran

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 am

I'm not much of a cook, but I am on a committee of three people who have to make and serve three meals from Friday to Sunday in about two weeks. We have to make one meal for 30 to be served at another person's home; one set of meals for twenty, to be individually delivered to the individual homes (about 7 houses) and a brunch for unknown number (probably 20 or so). Unfortunately, one committee member was diagnosed with cancer, and has dropped out. The other is abroad, visiting family, and will not return until the day before. This leaves....me. (That distant sound of sobbing and hyperventilating you heard? That was me.)

Anyway, I have pre-made and frozen as much of the first meal as I could, and have arranged to take some time off right before, but I want to freeze some individual casseroles for the delivery meals. It was agreed by the committee that it would be chicken tetrazzini. I have other responsibilities, plus a full-time job, and I'm running low on time (and honestly, commitment. I'm kinda PO'd at the woman who is gone, because she knew she was going to be out of the country, but volunteered the committee to make an additional meal, and then stuck me with the work.) I'm thinking of secretly using canned chicken, rather than cooking the chicken, as a time saver. Has anyone done this? Do you think it will still taste okay? Thanks for your input.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:37 am

stoppingby wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 am
I'm thinking of secretly using canned chicken, rather than cooking the chicken, as a time saver.
You can get pre-roasted or -grilled refrigerated (or frozen) chicken strips, probably taste a lot better then canned. I use these fairly often to add some chicken to a salad or to fried rice.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 am

Rotisserie chickens from the supermarket also work great if you don' t have time to cook chicken and you need it for filling, like chicken salad, etc. I've also just dumped chicken breasts in 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth and some herbs then boiled/poached them until they were done. Makes a decent piece of chicken that you just need to cut up. They can also be cut and frozen, then just defrost when needed.

ETA: Another option I've used for chicken breasts is to use the Ziplock Steamer Bags. Frozen, the breasts take about 5 minutes to cook through. I've put a frozen breast in one, dumped some kind of seasoning then popped it in the microwave. A few minutes later I have a chicken breast without a ton of hassle. And the plus side: Just toss the steamer bag. Less clean up.

But, for the amount it sounds like you need to cook, probably just poach them first, cut it up to the size you need, then freeze or store as you want.

~Khalil Gibran

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:51 pm
My brother's hosting T-day this year. He bought a heritage turkey, which means very little white meat. We have two dark meat lovers in the family, but everyone else prefers white meat. He's also decided to make sauce-not-gravy based on an online recipe, with white wine 'n stuff. The reactions to this from the rest of the family range from cringes to complaints. You don't mess with tradition on T-day.

I knew about it in advance, so I went to the turkey farm, bought a mess of turkey parts, and roasted them to get stock and drippings. I'll be bringing a gallon of traditional gravy. I expect most people will take a courtesy spoonful of his sauce, then seize the gravy jug and dowse everything on their plate with the Real Thing. I'll also be roasting a turkey breast to keep the white meat fans happy.

I'm also the stuffing maker. I've simmered the giblets in stock and will be dicing them soon as they cool. I've chopped the celery and onion and garlic and green pepper. Those get sauteed in butter; when about half-way cooked, I add several healthy shakes of poultry seasoning and herbs du provence (poultry seasoning is too sage-heavy, I like a more balanced herby flavor), plus a generous spoonful of chicken base. The idea is to have those flavors absorbed by the vegetables. I've got the wild rice cooking in more stock. Tomorrow I'll mix all that with cubed cornbread, white bread, and black onion rye bread, and add in a big handful of dried cranberries. Moisten it with the roasted turkey stock and some of the giblet stock and a couple of eggs. I like to bake it in a wide shallow pan to get lots of crispy bits. And I always make a couple pans of stuffin' muffins, to munch on while I'm cooking.

Since I've got over a hundred pounds of spuds from the farm, I'll be making the mashed potatoes, too. One of my sisters gifted me a monster Hubbard squash, which can easily feed a dozen or more. I've been holding that for T-day, and it's in the oven now.

For dessert, I'm bringing a Nantucket (cranberry) pie and a lemon tart. Another sister is bringing pumpkin and apple pies.
It all sounds so good!. Although I only use white bread for stuffing and no eggs (my grandmother did), my recipe is not much different from yours.

Last year I bought two smaller turkeys and roasted one the day ahead. That way I had the gravy ready and didn't have to make it last minute. That worked well and, since we both love turkey, we were good with all the leftovers. We certainly can't send any home with the vegan and vegetarians.

This year we're eating at my daughter's so our meal will be vegan. We will probably be having a field roast, which is actually pretty good, just not turkey. I am probably going to roast a turkey and make a little stuffing next Sunday.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:10 pm

glued together some ideas from other recipes tonight, came out pretty well.. so here's my work-in-process brussels sprouts recipe:
3 slices thick-cut bacon
1 small shallot, diced
1lb brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved
1c low-sodium chicken broth

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
slice the bacon into 1/4" pieces, discarding pieces that are all fat
cook the bacon over medium-high then medium heat, tossing every few minutes, until crisp
add the diced shallot, stir vigorously to ensure all the shallot is coated
cook for one minute
add the brussels sprouts, tossing to make sure all the sprouts are coated
cook for 10 minutes, tossing every 3 minutes or so. The sprouts should get some browning action; if not at the first toss, turn up the heat to medium-high.
add the chicken broth and cover the pan.
cook over medium heat covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
uncover, cook for 1 minute to steam off what liquid is left.
Serve immediately, or whenever the rest of the meal is ready
depending on how aggressively you discard the bacon fat, this is about 3 weight-watchers points per 1-cup serving. I think it works better with bacon that is only lightly smoked..

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 am
Rotisserie chickens from the supermarket also work great if you don' t have time to cook chicken and you need it for filling, like chicken salad, etc. I've also just dumped chicken breasts in 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth and some herbs then boiled/poached them until they were done. Makes a decent piece of chicken that you just need to cut up. They can also be cut and frozen, then just defrost when needed.

ETA: Another option I've used for chicken breasts is to use the Ziplock Steamer Bags. Frozen, the breasts take about 5 minutes to cook through. I've put a frozen breast in one, dumped some kind of seasoning then popped it in the microwave. A few minutes later I have a chicken breast without a ton of hassle. And the plus side: Just toss the steamer bag. Less clean up.

But, for the amount it sounds like you need to cook, probably just poach them first, cut it up to the size you need, then freeze or store as you want.
Belated thanks for this suggestion Jez. I ended up poaching them, and it turned out great!

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Since I got bit by the #%<¥€!?} lone star tick, I can no longer have any mammalian meat or products such as milk or anything made with milk.

I’m not a huge fan of food that tries to be other food, so I didn’t try any vegan substitutes. I haven’t had cheese for about 8 months, and figured Since I can’t really remember what it tastes like, maybe it’s time to try a substitute.

I found a recipe for vegan mozzerella cheese made with cashews, tapioca, salt, garlic powder, water, apple cider vinegar and natural yeast.

It’s actually not bad at all. It has the consistency and the flavor of an asiago fondue. It won’t fully firm even when it cools, but that’s OK. I can have pizza!

It’s quick and easy, but I had to order the ingredients from Amazon. H/t to itdoesnttastelikechicken.com

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/me ... mozarella/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

;)

How To Make Slow-Cooked Russet Potatoes That Fall Right Off The Bone

:liar:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

:rotflmao:

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Love it or loathe it, Minnesota's lutefisk tradition lives on
:snippity:
Lutefisk was created as a way to preserve fish, prior to refrigeration. The cod was dried on outdoor racks. Then, to make it expand, it was soaked in water and then in lye, which was made out of wood ash. Lye expands the fish to an even bigger size than when it was dried, and gives lutefisk its characteristic jelly-like quality.

"It's so funny, because if we go back to the Scandinavian countries and talk to them about lutefisk, they don't revere it like here," said Ojakangas.
:snippity:
"You know, I don't know if anyone actually really, really likes it, or if they just pour on enough butter [on it], just enough to slide it down," he said. "I thought of it more as fish jello."

Nonetheless he vowed to try it again this year.

"Not as bad as I remember," he said, slowly swallowing his first bite. "It's a little less fishy than I remember. It's still definitely gelatinous."

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:54 pm
Jez wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 am

Belated thanks for this suggestion Jez. I ended up poaching them, and it turned out great!
Yay! I'm glad it worked. I'm a lazy cook, for the most part, and when it comes to staples like Chicken Salads, etc, I will precook a lot of stuff and just freeze it, then thaw it out when I want to make the salad.

Hmmm... makes me want egg salad now.

~Khalil Gibran

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm

I made the bestest mushrooms tonight. Served them with a roasted eye of round and oven roasted taters, cooked with the roast.

You can use this with any kind of mushrooms. I just used white button.

2 T each olive oil and butter
16 oz mushrooms
Garlic salt and fresh pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon

I like this for lazy cooking. Heat olive oil and butter in heavy pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sprinkle w/garlic salt and pepper, to taste, turn mushrooms and season again. When the mushrooms are nice and browned, squeeze the lemon juice over the mushrooms and cook about a minute or two longer. Serve. OMG!!

(I think the speed of this dictates against using fresh garlic. The lazy cook in me jumped at the idea of garlic salt and it made it easy peasy).

I believe Anita Hill!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:12 pm
I made the bestest mushrooms tonight. Served them with a roasted eye of round and oven roasted taters, cooked with the roast.

You can use this with any kind of mushrooms. I just used white button.

2 T each olive oil and butter
16 oz mushrooms
Garlic salt and fresh pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon

I like this for lazy cooking. Heat olive oil and butter in heavy pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sprinkle w/garlic salt and pepper, to taste, turn mushrooms and season again. When the mushrooms are nice and browned, squeeze the lemon juice over the mushrooms and cook about a minute or two longer. Serve. OMG!!

(I think the speed of this dictates against using fresh garlic. The lazy cook in me jumped at the idea of garlic salt and it made it easy peasy).
When we have a kitchen again we will try that. Sounds delicious! :)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 am

I hope that will be soon Mr. V!

I believe Anita Hill!

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:05 am

It is Christmas morning.. and still pretty dark out.. I have just deposited my 8 and 1/2 lb. Prime Rib on the counter to come up to room temp.. in 4-6 hours and I will be cooking it the Food wishes method..

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... ib-of.html

It turns out perfect every time.. it is the only way I will cook Prime Rib as it works like a charm. I bought an oven thermometer a long time ago to see if my oven is accurate and it is.
I have a pan of rolls rising on the stove top, they are sprinkled with a little pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning, when I pull them out of the oven I promptly pour melted butter over the top, the butter is infused with the herbs and spices also. when these tasks are done.. I will be taking the deliciousness over to my sons house, his girlfriend is making all the other sides.It is going to be a lovely day.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

Return to “The Lounge”