Recipes!

RTH10260

Re: Recipes!

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 pm
We made jalapeno poppers for lunch. :-D

Really easy. Cut fresh jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Stuff with cream cheese. Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon. Bake at 425 F for 25 to 30 minutes. Very important- let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Sorry - I will keep a good distance even to cool jalapenos. My nose starts running for even slightly spicy meals :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:42 pm
Volkonski wrote:

Really easy. Cut fresh jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Stuff with cream cheese. Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon. Bake at 425 F for 25 to 30 minutes. Very important- let cool for 10 minutes before eating.
Sorry - I will keep a good distance even to cool jalapenos. My nose starts running for even slightly spicy meals :(
After baking the jalapenos aren't spicy at all. Mrs. V. wouldn't eat them if they were. For over 4 decades she has been passing jalapenos and pepperocinos from her plate to mine in Mexican and Italian restaurants. :)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Made Chicken Tortilla Soup tonight.

I used Pasilla, guajilla, and mulato chillies.

I'm stuffed

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:58 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:

After baking the jalapenos aren't spicy at all. Mrs. V. wouldn't eat them if they were. For over 4 decades she has been passing jalapenos and pepperocinos from her plate to mine in Mexican and Italian restaurants. :)
Learning new things on TFB every so often !

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:16 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:58 pm
RTH10260 wrote:

Learning new things on TFB every so often !
Any time you cook a jalapeno it loses the heat. My favorite stuffed recipe calls for them to be boiled before stuffing and you don't cut them in half. You get the actual flavor of the peppers without the heat. I generally only serve the stuffed peppers to company since my whole family thinks "searing heat" is a food group. 2 of my kids teethed on jalapeno slices instead of pickles.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News

Verified account

@CBSNews
3m3 minutes ago
More
Salmonella outbreak linked to turkey sickens dozens more people — bringing national total to nearly 300 https://cbsn.ws/2NdlU0R

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:23 pm
CBS News

Verified account

@CBSNews
3m3 minutes ago
More
Salmonella outbreak linked to turkey sickens dozens more people — bringing national total to nearly 300 https://cbsn.ws/2NdlU0R
Would you recommend I serve that with a mushroom gravy or a cranberry turkey gravy? ... or perhaps with universal health care??
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Jez

Post by Jez »

I have some hamburger thawed in the fridge, so trying to figure out what to do with it. Then I remembered seeing a video where they made small meatballs, put them in hollowed out buns, then topped them with cheese and marinara.

Got to thinking: We don't have any buns and it's too late in the day to begin making bread, but we do have some crescent roll dough. I could use those, put the meatball in it. then I got to thinking a bit more. Not really feeling marinara tonight, and I think we are out of mozzarella. So... how about cheddar and bacon? Make them burger balls?

So, gonna try that. smallish meatballs (cooked) with some crumbled bacon (cooked of course) topped with cheddar and wrapped in crescent roll dough. could be good.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Jez wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:11 pm
I have some hamburger thawed in the fridge, so trying to figure out what to do with it. Then I remembered seeing a video where they made small meatballs, put them in hollowed out buns, then topped them with cheese and marinara.

Got to thinking: We don't have any buns and it's too late in the day to begin making bread, but we do have some crescent roll dough. I could use those, put the meatball in it. then I got to thinking a bit more. Not really feeling marinara tonight, and I think we are out of mozzarella. So... how about cheddar and bacon? Make them burger balls?

So, gonna try that. smallish meatballs (cooked) with some crumbled bacon (cooked of course) topped with cheddar and wrapped in crescent roll dough. could be good.
Sounds awesome. My thinking usually goes... wow, there’s food in my fridge. How’d it get there?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

tek

Post by tek »

Jez wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:11 pm
Sounds like a good adventure! post pix and reviews! ;)
That might be a unique party appetizer... hmm...
There's no way back
from there to here

Jez

Post by Jez »

The burger balls turned out great! I will try to upload a pic of one of them later. It's on my phone and it's being stubborn about transferring.

So here is the (sorta recipe):

*Disclaimer: I rarely measure anything. The only thing I'm sure of is the number of eggs and the amount of hamburger.*

Meatballs:
1 lb ground beef (used 93/7)
2 eggs
~1 cup Panko breading (might need a bit more if the mixture is a bit wet. any breadcrumbs will work)
~2 tsp Pepper (to taste)
~1 cup Finely chopped onion
~1-2 cloves finely chopped garlic (to taste)
6-8 slices of bacon
1 can of Pillsbury Crescent Dough (I used the dough sheets, not the precut crescents. You could use the precut if you want) per muffin pan.
Cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray cupcake/muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Mix together the hamburger to make the meatballs.
  • Mix all together very well. The mixture should form good little meatballs and not fall apart.
  • Form meatballs about the size of ping pong balls (if using a standard size cupcake pan). Make enough for one meatball per cup in the pan.
  • Set aside.
  • In a deep skillet, fry up some bacon (enough for at least a couple of teaspoons of crumbled bacon each). (I ended up frying up about 6 slices in total)
  • Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble when cooled.
  • Use the bacon grease to cook the meatballs, browning on each side. The meatballs do not have to be totally done since they will bake in the oven also. Just enough to get a good crust on them.
  • Drain the meatballs on a paper towel and set aside to prepare the dough packets.
  • Open can of dough and put on lightly floured surface.
  • Roll dough thin.
  • Cut into 1 dozen squares (or however many cups are in your cupcake pan). The squares should be large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the cup, but it doesn't have to be perfect. You will be folding the dough over the filling.
  • In the bottom of each cup add some cheese (approx 1 Tbsp) and bacon (approx 2 tsp).
  • Place one meatball into the cup.
  • Fold the edges of the dough over the top of the meatball and press lightly to seal.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
They turned out very very yummy. I made a couple with swiss for Dawn, since that is her favorite cheese for hamburger.
I can see using this same thing for small little appetizers using a mini muffin pan and mini meatballs. You could probably also use any ground meat, such as chicken or turkey, instead of hamburger as well.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

tek

Post by tek »

So I got an electric smoker. Might have mentioned that earlier.

This past weekend I did smoked brisket, somewhat of a cheater because I started with corned beef.

Rinsed the corned beef and then soaked it in water for 12 hours (with about 2 cups of orange juice) to get rid of the excess salt.

Took it out of the water bath, dried it, applied a thin coat of yellow mustard to hold the rub, then applied a "rub" (really a sprinkle) from the master rub recipe of:

1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander

(I am not a fan of hot-spice, but if you are you could add hot paprika, cayenne powder, whatever)
(the onion/garlic/cumin/coriander were from Penzey's, of course)

Smoked at 225F, with some apple juice and a quartered onion in the drip pan, for about 9 hours (could have been longer, only made it to about 185F), with a mix of cherry and hickory smoke for the first couple hours.

OK, it was pretty good.

I brought some (cold) over to my neighbor (who grew up in new york, and has an apartment in NYC.. and has his fave delis..) .. today he emailed:
Tom, this has to be the best brisket I have ever eaten!!!!!!
So, seeing as corned beef is on sale this week for St Paddy's day, gonna do a couple more briskets this weekend.. ;)
There's no way back
from there to here

tek

Post by tek »

Briskets acquired.

Also picked up some extra-firm tofu to smoke, looking forward to that. One of my favorite quick+light suppers is a grilled chicken caesar salad, I wanna try smoked tofu instead of the chicken...

Smoker fires up at 6am Saturday.
There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Since we started on a low carb diet Mrs. V. has become very interested in food. ;)

While we were driving up to the NoFo from Texas she researched hot air fryers. As soon as the delivery date would be after our arrival she ordered one.

It is a largeish barrel shaped appliance with only 2 controls, temperature and cook time.

It is very simple to use. Just prepare the food. preheat the fryer and put the food in the fryer and set the cooking time.

So far we have made chicken-

Preheat Fryer to 400F.

Toss 6 chicken drumsticks in a mixture of 1 Tbsp baking powder, 1 Tbsp Stubbs BBQ Rub and 1 Tbsp Harissa powder.

Put chicken into fryer and cook for 13 to 15 minutes.

Use fast response cooking thermometer to make sure chicken is over 180F.

We have also made NY strip steak-

Use paper towel to rub steaks with a little olive oil and also rub the fryer pan.

Season steaks with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.

Preheat fryer to 400F.

Put steaks in fryer for 8 to 12 minutes depending on the thickness and how you like your steak done. We found that 8 minutes cooked a 1" thick strip steak to medium rare.

Remove steaks from fryer and let rest for 2 to 5 minutes before eating.

:thumbs:

Next we will try a boneless leg of lamb.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Speaking of a low carb diet it has led us to explore new foods.

This is a no carb bagel-

It is made out of wheat protein and non-wheat flowers. No one would mistake it for a genuine boiled NY bagel but with enough cream cheese and lox it makes a nice breakfast.

We also use them as burger buns-

Mrs. V. is off this weekend to an early music event with her NoFo flute and recorder pals. She made a cake to share-

The cake is made with almond flour, eggs and lemon flavor. Eating it you would never think is was low carb. The frosting is made from imitation sugar, vanilla extract and cream cheese. Mrs. V. gave me a teaspoon of it to taste. Very delicious. :)

Here is a typical low carb breakfast for me-

That's two fried eggs covered in Mexican blend shredded cheese, salsa and 10 to 12 tablespoons drops of Sriracha sauce. The avocado toast is made using HEB's in house baked low carb bread. So far we have not found anything similar on the North Fork. :( I am also allowed 8 raspberries. :)

tek

Post by tek »

Local asparagus is a couple weeks away, but I've been practicing with imported asparagus.

Current easy go-to recipe:

Parmesan Roast Asparagus

Preheat oven to 400F
Wash, dry, and trim asparagus
Spray a shallow roasting pan with olive oil
Place the asparagus in the pan in a single layer
Lightly spray the asparagus with olive oil
Grate fresh Parmesan or Grana Padano over the asparagus
Bake at 400F for 12 minutes (more if you like your asparagus softer)
There's no way back
from there to here

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

I 've wondered about the air fryers, I think it sounds like a good idea, but some of the ones I have looked at/been interested it have had lots of complaints of a continuing burnt plasticy smell, and short lives.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I’m on low carb also.

I’m on my way to Trader Joe’s to pick up some fixings to make low carb Gyros.

One gyro should be about 20 carbs.

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz »

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:52 pm
I 've wondered about the air fryers, I think it sounds like a good idea, but some of the ones I have looked at/been interested it have had lots of complaints of a continuing burnt plasticy smell, and short lives.
I've had my Philips old style Air fryer for about 3 years, still works great.I love that thing. Breaded fish and shrimp come out very nice I don't even add oil, you just have to stop it half way through and flip the fish or shake the shrimp.... turns out great. I don't eat deep fried anything anymore, the air fryer works like a champ. I am leary of doing steak in it though..I like my steaks just cooked enough so I can fork it, if it tries to crawl off my plate.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm on my own until tomorrow afternoon, as Mrs. FRP is out of town. It's something of a tradition that I make myself a gigantic steak when she goes out of town.

I found a recipe years ago for pan fried steak (because I'm frequently too lazy to fire up the grill) that was intended for strip steak. It's dead simple. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet until it's blazing hot, blast the meat for 3-4 minutes a side, then add a decent amount of butter and spoon it over the steak for 90 seconds a side, and then rest it for ten minutes. Reserve the butter in the pan to pour over the meat later if you like to gild the lily. Even a limited cook like me can make a perfect steak that way.

Tonight I tried it with a great big rib eye. And I added shallots at the same time as the butter. I confess, between the fattier steak and the shallot butter, it may have been too much of a good thing. Ultra rich. Throw in a bottle of decent malbec, I'm in something of a food/wine coma right now. :dazed:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Lunaluz wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:53 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
I've had my Philips old style Air fryer for about 3 years, still works great.I love that thing. Breaded fish and shrimp come out very nice I don't even add oil, you just have to stop it half way through and flip the fish or shake the shrimp.... turns out great. I don't eat deep fried anything anymore, the air fryer works like a champ. I am leary of doing steak in it though..I like my steaks just cooked enough so I can fork it, if it tries to crawl off my plate.
Did you ever try Reverse Sear ? We had a massive steak (nearly 4 lbs.) for easter, reverse seared with oven and grill. Best ever.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how ... steak.html
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:58 pm
I'm on my own until tomorrow afternoon, as Mrs. FRP is out of town. It's something of a tradition that I make myself a gigantic steak when she goes out of town.

I found a recipe years ago for pan fried steak (because I'm frequently too lazy to fire up the grill) that was intended for strip steak. It's dead simple. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet until it's blazing hot, blast the meat for 3-4 minutes a side, then add a decent amount of butter and spoon it over the steak for 90 seconds a side, and then rest it for ten minutes. Reserve the butter in the pan to pour over the meat later if you like to gild the lily. Even a limited cook like me can make a perfect steak that way.

Tonight I tried it with a great big rib eye. And I added shallots at the same time as the butter. I confess, between the fattier steak and the shallot butter, it may have been too much of a good thing. Ultra rich. Throw in a bottle of decent malbec, I'm in something of a food/wine coma right now. :dazed:
That's a great recipe and the only thing I add is a little bit of Penzeys' Chicago Steak as a marinade a few hours before while the steak gets to room temperature, then some wine (that Malbec would be ideal) with the butter in the pan for the dousing. :dance:

If you really want something simple, Penzey's dried shallots are just too easy - soak them for a while and you don't have to test your knife skills on those bulbs.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz »

Hurtzi wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:19 pm
Lunaluz wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:53 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Did you ever try Reverse Sear ? We had a massive steak (nearly 4 lbs.) for easter, reverse seared with oven and grill. Best ever.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how ... steak.html
I haven't done that, my go to method for making the perfect steak is to season and sous vide them to 2 hours at 133 degrees , pat them dry and then sear them on a grill or with a torch for that lovely crust.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The president of the Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School texted me yesterday.

They want me to make another giant pot of my famous chili for Teacher Appreciation Week.

But I graduated! I did that for four years already! :nope:
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Our daughters are 1700 miles away in Texas so we celebrated Mothers' Day by ourselves. We made a Sunday dinner of leg of lamb, with roasted Brussels sprouts and cubed white turnip in the air fryer.

We used a 2.5 lb boneless half leg. Wiped it with garlic infused olive oil and then rubbed it with herbs de provence, rosemary, pepper and salt.

Cooked it at 300F for 75 minutes then added the vegetables (lightly coated in olive oil) and increased the temperature to 400F for 15 minutes.

The lamb was slighted overcooked but still tender. Next time will reduce the lamb-only time to 65 minutes.

Now, off to Mrs.V's cousin's house (the cousin that lives by the bay) for wine and cheese. The first of the wines her husband bottled last fall are ready. :thumbs:

Return to “The Lounge”