"We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Volkonski

Re: "We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Post by Volkonski »

We are trying to be in a bit of denial about the end of the season because- Look! The leaves above Villa Volkonski are still green! :-D

However there are unmistakable signs of Autumn. This past week the brothers of Mrs. V's cousin who lives by the bay came down and closed up Mrs. V's aunt's cottage next door to us. The shutters are closed. The flags are down. The lawn furniture is put away. These days I am drinking my morning tea hot and using hot water in my bourbon and water nightcaps. The days are getting short.

But we are not going quietly. Last weekend we hosted one of Mrs. V's early music friends. Today my cousin from MA (who is more like a sister really) is coming down until Wednesday. Then Thursday Mrs. V's #2 brother and his lady friend are coming for 5 days. The following week end Mrs. V. is going to a 4 day early music event in Manhattan ( yes, I get to stay home and take care of cats :( ). Then the Monday after that another of Mrs. V's cousins and her husband will be up for a week to close up their cottage and we have arranged to see some shows with them during that time. Summer? Who needs summer. ;)

This weekend is the Riverhead Country Fair! We and my cousin are going tomorrow. The weather will be perfect. :thumbs:
http://riverheadcountryfair.com/
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

I have mentioned the dreaded pumpkin traffic that we have now on the North Fork. RiverheadLocal addresses this today.

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2015/10/1 ... orth-fork/
For some of us who live on the North Fork “tourist” is a frightening word. It conjures up a variety of inconveniences that we locals endure from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Getting to work in Cutchogue during the summer months is a slow-go.

The winery traffic is dense on a good weekend, but add the fairs and festivals that dot our area, we experience bona fide traffic jams! During the summer months, my “sacred spot” isn’t so scared. Our population doubles too! One weekend our small beach rivaled Jones Beach — complete with a cacophony of noise and large blow-up things floating in the bay.

Snip----

After Labor Day, we North Forkers enjoy a little breather — but not for long. The traffic amps up when the pumpkin pickers and corn stalkers arrive by the carload. Lordy, Lordy, it’s like no one has ever seen a pumpkin before!

If you think I am against tourism, think again. Inconvenient as it may be sometimes, it’s a necessary evil. We live in a beautiful environment and folks flock here to enjoy what some locals take for granted. Agritourism saved the North Fork from becoming an ugly twin to some “up island” towns. My personal belief is that the wineries saved the North Fork from becoming an overpopulated area, jam-packed with “file cabinet houses” and strip malls that the developers favor.
By the way, our county produces more pumpkins that any other county in New York State. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Today the traffic was beyond terrible. We drove to the Riverhead Fair via Peconic Bay Blvd and Hubbard Ave. Luckily we were driving into Riverhead. The traffic coming out was backed up on Peconic Bay Blvd from the Stop sign in our Hamlet almost all the way to Hubbard and from the stop sign on Hubbard all the way to Route 25. :o

Prize winning veggies.

The farm where we buy our eggs won some ribbons.

Best Family Farm display-

Best acorn squash.

They may have won more, I did not check every category.

Mrs. V. wanted to try the deep fried Oreos.

And here they are-

We tried one each and gave the rest away. ;)

The fair gets bigger every year.

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2015/10/1 ... air-today/

It fills the main street-

And the river front behind the main street buildings.

These photos make it look smaller than it is. There were over 400 vendors,carnival rides, a midway and live music on a large stage.

Slarti the White

Post by Slarti the White »

Very cool, V!

I'm going to get to go to the North Carolina State Fair (first time in nearly a decade) the weekend after next! Fried candy bars and turkey drumsticks, I can't wait!
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm volunteering at the Democratic Party booth at the NC State Fair on four days next week.

Of course, it's a pure coincidence that my shifts all end right about lunchtime, with all that great food surrounding me on all sides. :blackeye:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm back home after an exhausting 23 hour trip back from the new country

I got to newark and as I was waiting when they said the flight was overbooked and if they could have 3 passengers to volunteer to go the following day they would compensate them and give them a free hotel stay. Well, I said I could do with a hotel room for the night so I volunteered. No-one else did and then the guy found that there were no hotels available that night. So I said I would go on a later flight to heathrow and connect to Shannon. I forgot my wallet so I had to run back to gate A and then back to gate B, resulting on me bieng completly exausted and sweat covered getting on the plane.

Well on the flight I had cold water pored all over me twice when a stewardess slipped and pored water on me, and later my hand slipped when holding a glass and I pored water all over myself. I was in bits by the time I got to heathrow and whatever was happening to my body I was totally parched on the way, and when I tried to talk to someone my voice came out in a croak as my voicebox was totally parched. I thought I was imagining it when my mouth was totally dry on the way over. I pretty much suffered but as they say no good deed goes unpunished.

Anyway I'm back and totally jetlagged and I have a splitting headache.

On the plus side I watched 'Terminator: Genesys' on the plane on the way over and, much to my shock, thoroughly enjoyed it. Decent acting, great soundtrack, the story was alright and the action and special effects were pretty damn good. And it had a decent sense of humour and dealt with the fact that Arnie is a geriatric now (there was several comments about his age) I recommend it if you haven't seen it.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Warm enough today to sit out on the porch. Am doing so with a glass of local hard cider. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V. and my cousin have gone over to a local high end Italian market. I just know they will return with something delicious. :-D

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

And got the first local Brussels sprouts today and got apples so my cousin can make apple crisp. :thumbs:

Slarti the White

Going on a bit of a journey, both literally and figuratively. In meatspace I'll be headed to North Carolina on Friday to spend a couple of weeks at Duke working with my thesis advisor on our research. In my headspace I seem to have set for myself the biggest intellectual and professional challenge I've ever faced in the next month. Since the beginning of 2010 (when my post-doc ended) I've said that I only wanted one thing: for my ideas to be tested on their merits. That is exactly what I'm about to get.

Wish me luck.
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Good luck!
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

A very important member of the Friegen clan will be competing in a sporting event within 15 miles of Foogie's domicile this weekend. Emails have been sent. And ignored by the Dick Tater. :crying:

Hoping Foogie and his fambly can cheer on this Friegenette.

Slarti the White

Sterngard Friegen wrote:A very important member of the Friegen clan will be competing in a sporting event within 15 miles of Foogie's domicile this weekend. Emails have been sent. And ignored by the Dick Tater. :crying:

Hoping Foogie and his fambly can cheer on this Friegenette.
Unfortunately, I will be en route to that vicinity this weekend and will not arrive until Sunday evening, or I would gladly lend my vocal encouragement to your clan member.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

I do have some little experience with verbalizing my support at competitions of a sporting nature in the past.

Sterngard Friegen

Yes, thanks, but the Soup Ream Dick Tater seems to be ignoring me. :crying:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Not ignoring you, I don't check email 20x per day. I been BIZZY.

Lemme catch up, I'll go if I can.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Replied to your email. Need more info.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sterngard Friegen

Foggy wrote:Replied to your email. Need more info.
Replied back. Told Sterngardia, too, that you would definitely absolutely for certain no excuses be there. She is very excited. :cheer1: :cheer1: :cheer1:

Taverl

Post by Taverl »

In about 26 hours I'll be on a plane to London for an eight-day visit. I've never spent more than a few days in the city, so I'm very much looking forward to exploring, though I fear my friend and I are already overbooked. Tickets to "A Winter's Tale" with Dame Judi Dench and Kenneth Brannagh, "Hamlet" with Benedict Cumberbatch (the Most British Name Ever), Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London, champagne tasting on the London Eye, guided tour of Parliament followed by tea at the House of Commons, Harry Potter Experience at the movie studio where the films were made just north of London...

I just wish I felt better. Since July, I've been going through tests and doctors (and oh so much money) trying to figure out what's wrong. So far, nobody has a clue. All my blood work has been clear, except my inflammation factors are a bit above normal. The only reason I know that is because the naturapath I've been seeing suggested I request that blood test be added next time my doctor had blood work done. But that's a maddeningly unspecific test result and neither my primary nor my neurologist have any idea what it means. And it could even mean nothing.

An MRI showed no signs of tumors or MS, but did show fluid in my right inner ear. The ENT thinks it's TMJ, but I all BS on that since this all started after I flew from LA to SF with a terrible cold and my right ear became so painful I was afraid the eardrum would burst. My dentist and two endodontists all agree I don't have TMJ and after two two-hour sessions getting a root canal on my back molar didn't affect the pain on the right side of my face in any way, I'm going to defer to the dental experts. Hell, the ENT didn't even bother to examine my jaw before making his diagnosis.

Anyway, I'm tired all the time, occasionally lightheaded, the muscles in my arms and legs are shivering almost constantly - but not visibly - my right ear hurts constantly and I have random shooting pains along the right side of my head. At this rate I will have spent 20% of my gross income on medical and dental expenses. But, hey, tax write-off.

Blah, blah, blah...I'm going to London. One of the world's truly great cities. I will see awesome things and be awed by them. The excitement of being there will overcome my general malaise and I will get through customs even though I will be bringing a pharmacy's worth of medications and supplements with me.

A fine time will be had by all, dammit. :lol:

And I'll even be home in time to watch the Cubs finally win a World Series. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Photos of our hamlet's business district yesterday about 2 PM showing the heavy "pumpkin traffic.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Um... Mr. V, those are cars, not pumpkins. You might want to get your glasses fixed. :think:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Whatever4 wrote:Um... Mr. V, those are cars, not pumpkins. You might want to get your glasses fixed. :think:
:lol:

Those cars are filled with people determined to buy pumpkins. And apples, wine, fall veggies, craft beer and everything else the North Fork produces. They wander around corn mazes. They take hay rides. More and more of them will keep coming until we are finally saved by Halloween!

;)

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Looks to be a lovely little town, and the Harvest Festival or whatever it is looks like fun, I quite honestly admit I envy you the experience. The town I spent a number of years in used to be a major tourist town, real heavy on the tourist economy, so I know what you mean by crowds, used to be that way all Summer, not so much anymore. Enjoy your Fall.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm MIA as I work the State Fair booth for the NC Democratic Party. Yesterday, today, Wednesday, Friday and out.

Yesterday when I got there I noticed that my candy date for US Senator to replace Richard Burr, Deborah Ross, had no literature or handouts on the table (neither did Hillary, but Bernie stickers were a hot item).

So I called a guy who knows her, and told him.

He called her, and in 2 hours I met her on the street outside one of the gates and got a cardboard box full of handouts. 8-)

I'm a big supporter, and I got a chance to help her campaign in a slightly significant way, less than a week after she formally entered the race.

Gold star for the day. :blink:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The view from in front of the smaller shared cottage of the path between that cottage and Villa Volkonski which can be seen behind the trees on the left. Still very green here but that will soon change.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Lovely, Mr. V!
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “The Lounge”