"We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

NotaPerson

Re: "We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Post by NotaPerson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Away on a road trip or a few days, visiting some places I've been interested in for a while. Finally made it to the little town of Jim Thorpe, PA. It has a lovely (if touristy) historic district, made even lovelier by the fall colors of the trees in the mountains just outside of town.

up IMG_9320 b.jpg
up IMG_9325 b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Am I being detained?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 am

Yesterday I dropped Mrs. V. off in Piermont NY for a music event. This meant driving most of the length of LI then Queens then The Bronx into Westchester and across the Cuomo Bridge to Rockland County and then back on a Friday. :eek2:

I survived. Happily Mrs. V. will be taking the Jitney on the return trip. :-D

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:59 am

Later today I will shut down my PC so it will get packed for the trip to Texas. Won't be posting much this week as we brave some bad weather on the trip home.

Next year we won't stay so late. :nope:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:52 am

Meeting of the statewide Progressive Caucus in Greensboro today. I'll be AFK most of the day.

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Made it back to Texas yesterday. Busy unloading and putting things way. Just got my PC set up. More later.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Happy winter hibernation, and thanks for the most enjoyable L.I. reportings!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:14 pm
Made it back to Texas yesterday. Busy unloading and putting things way. Just got my PC set up. More later.
I miss the North Fork already!!! :crying:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:32 pm

On our trip back to Texas we experienced some of the coldest weather we have experienced in years. It was down in the teens overnight the first two nights. :( We didn't have winter jackets but luckily never had to spend much time outside.

For the first time we used the steering wheel and seat heaters in the van. After all the work closing up and loading up my back really appreciated the warmth. :)

We left Tuesday morning and fought our way thru NYC via the northern route thru Queens and the Bronx. The weather forecast was grim but the rain stopped before we got to the city. The traffic did not. ;)

Things remained clear until near the PA-MD border when it started snowing. To the west the sky was clear so driving thru the snow we could see the sun setting.

When we reached Winchester, VA we walked from the hotel to a restaurant. The first walk in the snow that we have done for many years.

Packing the van before leaving WInchester.

Wednesday, snow on the ground south of Winchester.

A bit of fall color.

Wednesday night we stayed in Loudon, TN in the Great Smoky Mountains. Found a Mexican restaurant that served a 32 ounce draft Dos XX dark beer for $5.25. A serving for one of Parrillada Mexicana was more than we could eat but cost only $12.00. Definitely going back there on a future trip. :)

Thursday we had light rain most of the way to Hattiesburg, MS.

Friday dawned clear and we made an early start getting home at 3:31 PM. I can be exact about the time since that is the moment I disarmed our security system. ;)

While driving home we learned that our older daughter and her husband were in Galveston and Houston this past week for an education conference. They finished yesterday afternoon and came to stay the night with us. :-D

They are vegan and we are Keto so going to a restaurant together can be challenging. The local Indian restaurant worked out for us.

This morning we did an early exchange of Christmas gifts before they headed home.

Out to the Houston Symphony this afternoon. Then on Thursday Mrs. V. heads up to the Texas Toot early music event thru Sunday. Then on Tuesday we head up to Bastrop for Thanksgiving at our younger daughter's in-laws. Then Friday up to Wichita Falls to see our older daughter's new house (they have downsized) then back to Baytown to begin a round of medical checkups and prepare for Christmas.

Sure is nice to slow down after all the work of closing the cottage and driving back to Texas. ;)

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Glad you and Mrs. V made it home okay, Volki. I've been thinking of you two :bighug: .

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:35 pm

@Mr. V: Welcome back! I adore seat heaters (blown in hot air makes me nauseous) and use them all the time for my bad back.

Sorry to tell you that Megachurch Shyster Joel Olsteen has Kayne West appearing at Lakewood Church. :brickwallsmall: It seems to be all the local news cares to cover. Enjoy the Symphony!

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:52 am

In Bastrop, TX at our younger daughter's in law's for Thanksgiving.

Driving up yesterday the westbound traffic leaving our city was backed up so far on I 10 due to the San Jacinto River Bridge barge crash damage lane closures that we detoured south across the Ship Channel and took 225 west to Beltway 8 north to get to I 10.

West of the 610 Loop traffic was jammed on I 10 in both directions. Fortunately there there is a section of westbound toll road there that parallels I 10 so those willing and able to pay can avoid the traffic. This is followed by a section of HOV lanes so we sped past the jam.

Once we turned onto Hwy 71 toward Bastrop traffic was light as befits the highway serving a city of about 9000 people even at holiday times. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:04 am

Had a dark foggy rainy drive from Bastrop to Wichita Falls yesterday. Spending today with our older daughter and her husband. Saw their temporary apartment last night and will see their "new" house today. It is undergoing renovations currently.

Drive home tomorrow like so many others. :?

Return to “The Lounge”