Post by AndyinPA » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:17 pm
Where was I? :think:

The Journey Back to the North Fork, Part 1

:snippity:

Just what is Mainecentric food?

Note the proper New England style roll. :thumbs:
The photo of the lobster roll has made me hungry for one since I saw it several days ago. Today we went to a place here that's famous for its New England-style lobster rolls. It looked exactly like the photo, including the bread, and having had them in New England, I know it tastes just as good. We started the meal off with New England clam chowder. :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: "We haven't disappeared; We're just traveling."

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am

Foggy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:55 am
I'll be off-planet all day today, at a gathering of the Progressive Caucus of the NC Democratic Party in Greensboro.

"Trump Worried About Pecker Leaking" :rotflmao:

Ol' Wifehorn: "I had a terrible nightmare. Trump resigned and Pence became president."

Me: "It wasn't a dream. If Trump resigns, that's the reality." :eek2:
And.....?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 am

And...?

The Democrats gain control of the House, get subpoena power, hold hearings, and go after Pence.

Mmmm. Am I dreaming?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:11 pm

And.....?
... you had to ask. :madguy:

We didn't have a quorum. Second meeting in a row, we didn't have quorum in Charlotte in June, and we didn't have quorum in August in Greensboro, and we can't change the quorum requirement until we get a quorum.

We needed 64 peeps, we got as high as 51. Some nice lady suggested we call those who weren't there and get proxies for the last 13, and the meeting descended into a half-baked chaotic discussion of what would constitute a valid proxy? Does it need to be signed or is an email or text sufficient?

So I sat and schmoozed with my homies, but the group was just spinning its wheels, so I wrote a proxy of my own (in case they found 13 others that qualified), gave it to a friend, and drove back to Rawly.

Five hours and 160 miles of wastedness, with nothing accomplished except I got to hang out with my friends for a spell.

Plan B (or maybe we're up to Plan K or L) is to take Active Measures and try again next month at the NCDP State Executive Committee. The president concluded that Progressives are action people but not meeting people.

Bummer, dude. :madguy:

Mr. William L. Bryan is the root of a great deal of criminal mischief. And yet, Mr. Bryan remains at large.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm

Just got back from a quick trip to Wisconsin. No political signs were seen. Wisconsin roads are worse than ever. I-90 through Minnesota was better than ever. Massive flooding and flood damage in and around my old stomping grounds. No internet for four days. It was great. MN-Skeptic: Park was closed. Flood water up to the pavilion, but it didn't appear to have encroached into the building. Nothing else seemed to have changed. Little activity at White Clocks. Dvořak Memorial Highway is still crooked.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:52 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm
White Clocks.
:lol: I like that.

Thanks for the update.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Just heading off for a few days to the only national park in Ohio, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, south of Cleveland. It's only about two hours from here, so not a big deal as far as travel is concerned. Hubby has wanted to go there for a while. It's going to be very different, I think, from our usual national park trips. It's something of an unusual national park and one of the newest, only since 2000.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 pm

My twin and I visited George Washington Carver National Monument today with our three great nieces and my four year old granddaughter (who was quite sad to learn “George” was dead). It is a wonderful, interactive place for kids of all ages.

I had to explain to a sensitive 8 year old that George’s mother and her son were bought by Mr. and Mrs. Carver and she then had baby George. The look on her face when she realized what slavery meant should be implanted in everyone’s brains.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 am

We are up visiting Verbie, Listeme, the dogs, the sheep, the bunnies, the chickens, and the hundreds of tomatoes all over the Rehabbin’ Cabin.
B2A57D40-5BD6-4B9E-9FA4-5AE397C48834.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:05 am

Pet some doggies and bunnies for me! No catz?

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:05 am
The basenji dogs would eat 'em.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:13 am

listeme wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 am
:eek2:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 am

listeme wrote:
The smalles basenji got loose as we arrived and got a a chicken within seconds. Another chicken escaped. Guardian dog went nut. Much fun to watch. Unless you were a chicken.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 am
listeme wrote:
The smalles basenji got loose as we arrived and got a a chicken within seconds. Another chicken escaped. Guardian dog went nut. Much fun to watch. Unless you were a chicken.
I'm sure the humans were also entertaining to watch. We are still not elite at catching loose chickens.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:24 pm

listeme wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am
Whatever4 wrote:
listeme wrote:

I'm sure the humans were also entertaining to watch. We are still not elite at catching loose chickens.
Well in that case, you would have been totally useless in evacuating 2 million chickens from Florence, wouldn't you?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 am

listeme wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am
Whatever4 wrote:
listeme wrote:

Oh, I hope you captured that on your game camera.

Our cabin is on the side of a steep mountain on a reasonably busy highway connecting poultry farms on the Luray side with the processors on the New Market side. Trucks go by on the highway with thousands of caged live chickens for processing. Saturday I was on a hairpin curve and I saw that a chicken had managed to escape and was pecking along the side of the road. On the side of the road the chicken was on was a mountain; on the other side was a cliff (thanks, Arlo). I thought about jumping out to get the chicken to safety. I pictured myself trying to chase this poor chicken down, while some speed demon comes barreling around the hairpin taking out me and the chicken both. I came back by a couple hours later and the chicken was still there, pecking away. Well, he was destined for slaughter anyway.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 am

The remains of Michael have blown thru.

We are headed into Manhattan today to see a man about a flute.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm

So many flutes! :o

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm

They flaunt their flutes?

-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 pm
They flaunt their flutes?
Flagrantly.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:57 pm

So much traffic on the LI Expressway. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Friday night. The Jitney is full of people going from Manhattan to the North Fork.

They have sent out another Jitney to pick up all the people that couldn't get on this one.

Friday night. The North Fork beckons. People respond. Go east New Yorkers! Go east!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Now in the HOV Lane. It is not moving much faster than the other lanes.

On we crawl.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Moving better now. Some traffic exited onto the parkway for points south.

Be about 30 minutes late.

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 am

Soo . . . hello TFB friends! I've been mostly absent (but lurking) for 5 or 6 weeks. My dad was in the hospital about 6 weeks ago and was told his health had deteriorated to the point that he could not go home and live alone. They sent him to "rehab" for 7 days to give him (and us) time to figure out what to do. This is not unexpected, but I don't suppose you're ever ready for it.

Long story short, I was in Idaho for about 3 weeks. We emptied his house, moved him from Idaho to the PNW, and he's living with me, at least temporarily until we get everything in place after the move to a new state. He will eventually go into assisted living and/or hospice (which I've learned is a VA benefit, as well as a care plan), but he's not sick enough for that yet.

I've spent several weeks getting things situated, from moving furniture to allow him space to navigate his electric wheelchair to arranging home health care to taking him to doctor visits, and everything else that goes along with all of that. On top of that, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I went to a CLE training out of town that I had planned (and paid for) months ago, so had to arrange respite care. All in all, though, Dad is actually doing better now that he isn't schlepping himself around to doctor visits, grocery stores, doing his laundry, etc. We are getting along fine, and have settled into a routine.

I'm writing now to say "yay!" I gave Dad my bedroom with the good bed, and just finished getting my second bedroom organized as my office with a daybed for me to sleep on. It was already loosely set up as my office but had become a catchall since I moved in February. It's small, so work-wise, the clutter was overwhelming. I still have some sorting through to do, but now everything is put away in the bookcases that I had intended for that purpose.

And :shootin: I have a big girl bed to sleep in tonight! For about 3 weeks, I've been sleeping on my (very, very crappy) sofa bed alternating with an air mattress (trying to discover the lesser of the two evils), which led to an extreme sciatica-ish flare-up for the last ten days. (I say "ish" because I've never had sciatica, and this is along the outside of my hip, thigh, and calf, rather than the back of my leg, which it appears would be the case if it were sciatica. On doing some research, I think it's actually an aggravated lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, i.e. meralgia paresthetica possibly caused by SI joint problems, which I have experienced before. Man, did it hurt!! I almost never take OTC pain killers, and at its worst, I was gobbling Aleve and Ibprofen about every 2 hours. Now I'm down to two Aleve a day.)

But now, I can sleep :happydance: and I can work :happydance:. And I have a space with a door that I can get away to, if I need a break. I'm going to celebrate with a margarita. :flirty:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Return to “The Lounge”