Hijack this thread

Estiveo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 pm
Anderson Dam, Ca. vs FERC - "Drain The Lake"

our Oroville reporter Juan Browne has a story for California residents especially.
Yup, this is a big story here. Ultimately, the fed stepping in may finally get this project started. Originally this was just supposed to be a retrofit, but the 2016 study said they need to replace the whole dam. The big problem is the money. Last I heard the whole thing may end up being North of a billion $.

For anybody interested, on the map below Anderson Dam is at the red arrow and my house is at the blue arrow. I'm more concerned about the Chesboro Dam to my NW.
Screenshot_20200227_121206.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

June bug

Post by June bug »

qbawl wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Also newer Watches have a feature that can call your ICE contacts and 911 if it thinks you have fallen.
:lol: Had to read this twice to understand your ICE means In Case of Emergency and not Immigration and Customs Enforcement! :lol:

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:05 pm
Have the parents had the girl evaluated by a professional? In this country where mental health takes a back seat, I'd say they probably haven't. That should be the first step before the parents try to resolve the issue by themselves.
It is always nice to have insurance for that mental health stuff. And adequate funding for educators. And adequate training for educators and police.
according to the washington post story, the child has sleep apnea, was exhausted, had a meltdown, and kicked a staffer. so not even a mental health/behavioral problem but more a combination of things that go on—illness, exhaustion, schools operating as caretakers, etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... stigation/
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:28 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 pm
Anderson Dam, Ca. vs FERC - "Drain The Lake"

our Oroville reporter Juan Browne has a story for California residents especially.
Yup, this is a big story here. Ultimately, the fed stepping in may finally get this project started. Originally this was just supposed to be a retrofit, but the 2016 study said they need to replace the whole dam. The big problem is the money. Last I heard the whole thing may end up being North of a billion $.

For anybody interested, on the map below Anderson Dam is at the red arrow and my house is at the blue arrow. I'm more concerned about the Chesboro Dam to my NW.

Screenshot_20200227_121206.jpg
That’s a mighty big plane there.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jagermeister logo does not offend Christians, Swiss court rules
20 February 2020

The logo for Jägermeister alcohol is not religiously offensive, a Swiss court has ruled.

The Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property had blocked efforts by the German spirit brand to expand its trademark to cosmetics and entertainment services.

It argued that the logo - a stag and a cross - could offend the country's Christians.

But Swiss federal judges ruled in favour of Jägermeister.

The Federal Administrative Court ruled that the "intensive" use of the logo had "weakened its religious character" over time, making the chance of genuine offence unlikely, Swissinfo reported.

The logo refers to the legend of St Hubertus, the 'Apostle of the Ardennes', who is said to have converted to Christianity one Good Friday in the 8th century after witnessing a stag with a crucifix between its antlers.

Jägermeister can now use its logo on a wide-range of products in Switzerland including cosmetics, mobile phones, or telecommunications services.

https:// www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51567705
:bar:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Live healthy, only your purse is at risking a deflation
General Mills looks to revive cereal sales by charging $13 a box
Posted Feb 20, 2020

Morning Summit cereal contains dried cherries and cranberries, pumpkin seeds and whole grain cereal flakes to entice health-conscious consumers.

(CBS News) -- If General Mills has its way, the most important meal of the day is about to get a lot more expensive.

The food company's plan to revive cereal sales includes selling boxes of the breakfast food for 13 bucks a pop. Launched late last year, its new Morning Summit cereal contains dried cherries and cranberries, pumpkin seeds and whole grain cereal flakes to entice health-conscious consumers.

As CEO Jeff Harmening told the annual Consumer Analyst Group of New York (CAGNY) investor conference Tuesday: "We're innovating in new product forms that command premium price points, including our new Morning Summit product, which has almonds as the first ingredient and sells for $13 a box."

That said, Walmart is selling the new cereal for $26.27, while Amazon's price tag for a box: $24.70.

Conversely, Cheerios, another General Mills breakfast product, can be had for less than four dollars for a family-size box.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/g ... 11662.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Found in my Facebook feed.
Cruise Critic
Sponsored ·
Cruising is one of life’s great pleasures — book now to save during wave season.
Great savings are a click away.

The comments all reference the Covid-19 outbreak.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PS. Nice page number in this thread:
1 1 1 1

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confused:
Term ‘At-Risk Youth’ Replaced With ‘At-Promise Youth’ In California Penal Codes
by Laura Haefeli
February 13, 2020 at 7:01 am

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The term “at-risk youth” was commonly used in both penal and education codes in California – until now.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed legislation that went into effect on Jan. 1 that officially wiped the phrase from the state’s language. The phrase will now be replaced by “at-promise youth.”

Assemblymember Byron Jones-Sawyer (D-South Los Angeles), who penned the passed legislation, says the measure will change the negative connotation that comes along with the “at-risk” label.

“I learned that words matter – and once they were called ‘at-risk,’ they almost were in the school-to-prison pipeline automatically,” Jones-Sawyer said.

Jones-Sawyer says the negative narrative has the greatest effect on young people who are a part of minority populations.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02 ... nal-codes/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

only in America
VIDEO: Ohio bus drivers get punched, threatened, slapped and more

By Laura A. Bischoff, Columbus Bureau
COLUMBUS —

Public bus drivers get punched, shot at and shoved with alarming frequency across Ohio, leading lawmakers to consider making it a felony to assault a transit worker.

State Reps. Rick Perales, R-Beavercreek, and Sedrick Denson, D-Cincinnati, want the penalty to be the same as it currently is for assaults on school bus drivers — a fifth degree felony.

To make their case for House Bill 309, the lawmakers released a nearly 4-minute highlight reel of bus camera footage that shows drivers in Cleveland getting pelted with snowballs and drinks, being threatened with scissors, hit with a sock filled with rocks, and repeatedly punched or slapped.

During some violent scuffles, the driver’s foot is inadvertently taken off the brake, causing the buses to drift forward. In other instances, drivers suddenly duck when shots apparently hit the buses.“It is becoming more obvious with every attack that this is a trend that is not going away,” Perales said. “We need to act now to secure the safety of our transit workers.”

https://www.journal-news.com/news/state ... U30hBsb8M/
/

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:35 pm
only in America
VIDEO: Ohio bus drivers get punched, threatened, slapped and more
One thing I noticed in the video is the lack of a door and/or operator seat interlock that disengages the transmission and applies the brake if the front doors are open, or the seat is empty. The buses should not have kept moving as soon as the drivers were actively engaged with an assailant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock:
An orphaned boy moved into his grandparents’ home. The homeowners association wants to kick him out.

Katie Shepherd
Jan. 16, 2020 at 10:04 a.m. GMT+1

After his parents died last year, 15-year-old Collin Clabaugh moved from Riverside, Calif., to Prescott, Ariz., to live with his grandparents in a quiet senior living community.

Randy and Melodie Passmore welcomed the boy into their home, so that he could live “with two people who love him.” Then, they began receiving letters from the community’s homeowners association.

“The Board expects the Passmores to be in compliance with the Association’s age restrictions by June 30, 2020,” a Dec. 10 letter, reported by KNXV-TV, said. “In other words, they expect that the Passmores will have made alternative living arrangements for Collin by that date.”

The demand for Collin to move out shocked the family. The Gardens & Courtyards at Willow Creek, a 55-and-over housing community, bars residents younger than 19. The grandparents appealed to the HOA board, but the association said it “must balance the interest of all parties involved, not just the Passmores.”

“We let them know all the circumstances, but they still are stuck to that rule. And I don’t think that’s the right thing to do morally,” Collin told the Arizona Republic. “If I was in that position, I wouldn’t say you have to get out because it’s the rule. I’d make an exception for anyone who needed an exception.”

The association told the Passmores in letters that making an exception could open up the housing community to legal challenges from other residents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ents-home/

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 pm
An orphaned boy moved into his grandparents’ home. The homeowners association wants to kick him out.
Herein is an example of the pitfalls of HOAs. The docs, by-laws, and rules and regs of the HOA handcuffs owners and residents. The HOA, unfortunately, is right -- making an exception, even if the member owners were to vote for it in this hardship case, opens them up to potential future challenges.

Know what your signing up for if you buy in an HOA community.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

So as of right now, the presidential race is:

77 years old Joe Biden
78 years old Mike Bloomberg
78 years old Bernie Sanders

... oh yeah, and some young lady who is only 70. She's the only one younger than Twitler.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.newsweek.com/red-panda-two- ... dy-1489494
RED PANDAS ARE TWO SEPARATE SPECIES, STUDY FINDS

A team at the Chinese Academy of Sciences analyzed DNA from 65 red pandas from seven separate populations and determined two phylogenetic species that separated some time around 22 million years ago. One, Himalayan red pandas (Ailurus fulgens fulgens), can be found in southern Tibet and Nepal. Another, Chinese red pandas (Ailurus fulgens styani), can be found in southeastern Tibet and northern Myanmar.

Aside from location, the team says they differ in terms of appearance, with Chinese red pandas having a redder face and more distinct rings around their tail.
Well, FRP?
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Wait, I thought the two types were fierce and snuggly. :lol:
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Is there a term for when you search high and low for a physical object but can’t find it even though it’s in plain view, in fact right where you thought you’d left it, a place you’ve searched several times. Then you go back sometime later, having given up, and there it is, right where you thought it was but you didn’t see it before?
NLP peeps claim, in serious tones, that saying I can’t find it blinds you to it.

Yeah, no.

It’s happened three times this year. Am I losing it?

(Gaslighting is not the word I’m looking for. ;) Don’t think that didn’t occur to me. Sprout has been known to pull a prank or two. He says not this time.)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

kate520 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:59 pm
Is there a term for when you search high and low for a physical object but can’t find it even though it’s in plain view, in fact right where you thought you’d left it, a place you’ve searched several times. Then you go back sometime later, having given up, and there it is, right where you thought it was but you didn’t see it before?
NLP peeps claim, in serious tones, that saying I can’t find it blinds you to it.

Yeah, no.

(Gaslighting is not the word I’m looking for. ;) Don’t think that didn’t occur to me. Sprout has been known to pull a prank or two. He says not this time.)
It's not a bad thing... the NLP bunch actually suggest you imagine an object you want to find again explode or catch on fire and make a little rhyme... it works.
The Mercury Project

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

kate520 wrote:

Yeah, no.

I witnessed this. Personally. It was not where Kate thought it was until it was.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Did Schrödingers cat play hide and seek :?:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:34 am
kate520 wrote:

Yeah, no.

I witnessed this. Personally. It was not where Kate thought it was until it was.
Poltergeists?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:52 pm
:confused:
Term ‘At-Risk Youth’ Replaced With ‘At-Promise Youth’ In California Penal Codes
...As Burt would put it, mocking the euphemisms of educational jargon, I'm exceptional - a democratic term used to avoid the damning labels of gifted and deprived (which used to mean bright and retarded) and as soon as exceptional begins to mean anything to anyone they'll change it.
The idea seems to be: use an expression only as long as it doesn't mean anything to anybody.
-- Flowers for Algernon
I've heard this bull before.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 pm
This is indeed the problem with HOA's, nosey neighbors, silly bylaws with no appeals process. From house color palettes to clothes lines, boat trailers to street parking, fence materials to roof styles, planter styles and heights, landscaping and topiary choices, washing your car in your drive, Christmas decorations ... the list can be endless, and excruciating. And usually it's a very small group that determines the do's and don'ts.

Good luck to these people getting respite. They will probably have to move out.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

We have a friend who lives in a community with HOAs outside of Santa Fe. It's not gated, but for all intents and purposes it could be. She told us that even if they want to paint a garage door the same exact color, they have to have permission. All the homes are on at least one-acre parcels and most are set well back from the road and away from each other.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

The opposite extreme, such as the HOA not giving two damns about a neighbor having 8 cars and parking them in front of the neighbors houses and having loud music until 3 am, is also annoying.

Return to “The Lounge”