Hijack this thread

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy »

Half Life Alyx is almost here. Here's what you need to be ready.

Half Life2 was the most awesome game I ever played, and then the Portal games were even more mind-bending.

But Half Life Alyx is going to be the beginning of a whole new level of computer gaming technology. It has taken the Valve company YEARS to put this together. My boys and I are getting ready to buy a VR headset. We're going to be on it like white on rice.
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Jez

Post by Jez »

I can't do VR, sadly. My vertigo goes nutty and I get nauseous. So, I play my MMOs and RPGs.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jeffrey wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:38 pm
AMD seems to be killing it with CPUs. That’s gotta be a dream for rendering video.

What’s all that muscle for?
Check out the videos on this Youtube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

Linus is a well established guy and his company can afford to testvthe most highend workstations, actually they put together their own test boxes. Current standard for video is 8K resolution for filming and editing.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

I built a super-duper new computer a couple of months ago. It has an ultra fast motherboard, NVMe drive, lots of fast memory, etc, etc. I can see the difference when I'm updating Windoze or making backups. Otherwise, meh, no noticeable difference. In fact I had to turn the minimum power saver settings up because it was dog slow executing many applications.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Been subscribed to Linus for a while, he’s good people. I only really mess with 1080p for video for fun. I could go to 4K but then Vegas would probably start chugging and file sizes would go into the hundreds of gigabytes. Oh and phone videos are 4K but I just do a little cropping, nothing fancy.

I get seasickness from First person shooters too Jez, I don’t think VR is for me.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

There's a link in the article in my post about how to deal with and minimize motion sickness.

I'll read it after we get set up. Luckily, my boys are now in their late teens/early twenties and they have experienced VR at their friends' houses. We just had a fambly meeting and they're going to do the shopping to find us a good headset. We'll also need an upgraded video card, and in my experience that also means a better power supply. But I have a desktop that's in pretty good shape, once I get the card (and maybe power supply) and the headset we should be good to go. :thumbs:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Tennessee....SMDH

And then...

Stupid tampon hoarders.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

When they’ve barefoot and pregnant all the time there’s little need for tampons.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Oklahoma Botched 2 Executions. It Says It’s Ready to Try Again.
After a pair of botched executions and a five-year hiatus, Oklahoma is preparing to once again carry out the death penalty with the use of lethal injections.

By Graham Lee Brewer and Manny Fernandez
Published Feb. 13, 2020 Updated Feb. 14, 2020, 8:48 a.m. ET

NORMAN, Okla. — Oklahoma plans to resume putting inmates to death using lethal injection drugs, five years after officials halted all executions in the wake of a series of botched procedures that drew national attention to the state’s death penalty protocol.

Officials in Oklahoma, one of the country’s most prolific death penalty states, said on Thursday that they now have access to the drugs necessary to carry out capital punishment, though when the next execution would be scheduled remained unclear. It would be the first execution in Oklahoma since a string of errors and problematic executions in 2014 and 2015 that President Barack Obama had described as “deeply troubling.”

“I believe capital punishment is appropriate for the most heinous of crimes, and it is our duty as state officials to obey the laws of the state of Oklahoma by carrying out this somber task,” the Republican governor, Kevin Stitt, told reporters at a news conference in Oklahoma City.

Two state agencies — the attorney general’s office and the Department of Corrections — have been working to revise Oklahoma’s execution protocol and to establish a reliable source of lethal injection drugs, and Mr. Stitt and other officials expressed confidence that the state would be able to go forward without new problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/us/o ... tions.html

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've heard this bull before.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

K
2FC196D4-2C7C-455D-8C0D-5BDE77306761.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

'I was scared to death': Patients jailed over unpaid medical debt in rural Kansas
'You wouldn’t think you’d go to jail over medical bills'

Graig Graziosi
5 days ago

At a time when healthcare policy dominates national debate, a county in Kansas is jailing individuals with medical debt.

Judge David Casement is a magistrate judge in Coffeyville, Kansas, where the poverty rate is twice the national average. He presides over cases in which individuals with medical debt are brought to court to face the medical companies they owe. During the hearings, the debtors must make a case for their own poverty during what is known as a “debtors exam.”

The practice was detailed extensively in a ProPublica report from October.

One of the debt collectors at the center of the debtors exams, an attorney named Michael Hassenplug, has essentially built a law practice around collecting medical debt.

Mr Hassenplug influenced the creation of a law under which the court can compel people with outstanding medical bills to appear in court every three months and make a defense of their poverty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 28281.html

Mentioned ProPublica report https://features.propublica.org/medical ... le-kansas/

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Since I had modifications made to my bathroom, which entailed some scraping and drywall work, I have to redo the walls. So this weekend I got to work stripping off the old wallpaper.

Boy, they make it look so easy on YouTube. :crying: :brickwallsmall: :crying:

One of my sisters finally told me to give up and rent a steamer. I did. Which made the inside of my tiny bathroom quite the sauna.

And I was stupid. Because my bathroom's so tiny and I'm so short, I propped a stepladder in the bathtub, leaning against a wall. Grabbed the stripper and climbed up two steps----

----and the stepladder slid on the wet steamy tub, falling off the wall and taking me down with it. Did I mention it was in the tub? I fell off the ladder and across the tub's rim landing halfway on the floor, with one leg twisted and trapped between the ladder runs.

Pain.

I crawled away, getting my leg untangled. It felt like it was on fire. I dragged myself into the hallway and lay panting for awhile before I pulled myself up and tested the leg. I didn't break it, but it would have served me right if I had. The calf is swollen to the size of my thigh, thanks to a couple of deep bruises. Just the weight of a blanket on it hurt like fury last night.

This morning, I climbed on top of the bathroom vanity to finish the job (with the help of my brother).

I make fun of stupid people on the internet, but hey - I can be stupid, too!
I've heard this bull before.

MRich

Post by MRich »

DejaMoo wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm

I crawled away, getting my leg untangled. It felt like it was on fire. I dragged myself into the hallway and lay panting for awhile before I pulled myself up and tested the leg. I didn't break it, but it would have served me right if I had. The calf is swollen to the size of my thigh, thanks to a couple of deep bruises. Just the weight of a blanket on it hurt like fury last night.
This hurt me to read it. How do you know you didn't crack a bone? Every time I've broken a bone I had horrible bruises too. You might want to get your leg xrayed.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Yes, get it checked. Better safe than sorry. :thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

GET IT CHECKED, POR FAVOR!

So sorry that happened, but you could have a hairline fracture or who knows?

Please, DejaMoo. Pretty please with chocolate syrup and a cherry on top! :bighug:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

DejaMoo's experience reminds me of something I realized shortly after my sweetie passed away.

Shortly after my sweetie passed away, I carried a heavy, unwieldy office chair up from the basement. When I got to the top, I realized how easily I could have fallen down the stairs and hurt myself. Constantly carrying my cellphone was not an option, so I immediately ordered an Apple watch. Even with a wi-fi only Apple watch, you can make phone calls. Since the phone call is using your iPhone for that task, it does have to be within range, but that's not a problem in my house. I set up my brother's and sister-in-law's numbers on the Apple watch so I can easily call them if necessary and I tested it to make sure it works.

Anyway, for those of us living alone, or for anyone doing a task away from other people, consider having your cell phone or some other means of communication handy in case you fall off a ladder and cannot crawl for help.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Please, DejaMoo. Pretty please with chocolate syrup and a cherry on top!
Yes. But first eat the pretty please or everything will melt and the cherry will be on the bottom. ;)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:14 pm
DejaMoo's experience reminds me of something I realized shortly after my sweetie passed away.

Shortly after my sweetie passed away, I carried a heavy, unwieldy office chair up from the basement. When I got to the top, I realized how easily I could have fallen down the stairs and hurt myself. Constantly carrying my cellphone was not an option, so I immediately ordered an Apple watch. Even with a wi-fi only Apple watch, you can make phone calls. Since the phone call is using your iPhone for that task, it does have to be within range, but that's not a problem in my house. I set up my brother's and sister-in-law's numbers on the Apple watch so I can easily call them if necessary and I tested it to make sure it works.

Anyway, for those of us living alone, or for anyone doing a task away from other people, consider having your cell phone or some other means of communication handy in case you fall off a ladder and cannot crawl for help.
Also newer Watches have a feature that can call your ICE contacts and 911 if it thinks you have fallen. I discovered this a couple of days after purchasing a 4 series Watch when I was pounding on a table to make a point and suddenly it was asking me if I was in distress and needed assistances. If I had not been able to respond the medics would have been on the way. Sort of an automated "Help I've fallen and can't get up."

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Please get the leg checked out. It's really hard to tell between a sprain and a break without X-rays. Been there, done that.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Lani

Post by Lani »

Yep. I hobbled/walked/cried on a broken ankle, not knowing that for years. (I didn't have medical insurance at the time.) Years later I injured the same ankle unloading furniture from a van and went to the emergency room. Good news, said the doc. It's not another broken ankle! He showed me the line in the bone. (I had a torn tendon, resulting in a cast for over a month and PT follow up. Don't know how I was able to quasi-function that broken ankle....)

And, just because I seem to have challenging medical karma, I was in a bad car accident, cleared by ER, but struggled with walking and pain for weeks before another doctor took a look at the x-rays and found hairline fractures in my hips. Finally, I was blessed with medical leave, bed rest and painkillers.

So, yeah, don't tough it out. Get a professional opinion.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, so how painful is it now that a day or so has passed (still, get it checked)?

FB_IMG_1581941753262.jpg

Needs more Bosch. :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

qbawl wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Also newer Watches have a feature that can call your ICE contacts and 911 if it thinks you have fallen. I discovered this a couple of days after purchasing a 4 series Watch when I was pounding on a table to make a point and suddenly it was asking me if I was in distress and needed assistances. If I had not been able to respond the medics would have been on the way. Sort of an automated "Help I've fallen and can't get up."
My Apple Watch dialed 911 by accident the other day. As soon as I realized it, I hung up the call, but Fairfax county called me right back, wanted to make sure I was OK.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

For Foogy, moar Bosch, pain level 11.
32855c04491bd5067a90f9ecdfe93716.jpg
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

You people are strange.

So am I.

Return to “The Lounge”