Bill_G, you make me wanna start looking for a third husband. :think:
:like:

DejaMoo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:26 pm
:bighug:

Sometimes I think that's the invisible divide. Some of us take it for granted that it is a desirable and necessary thing to care for our fellow Earthlings. Some don't have that gland and think we are just stupid when we fall for their pretensions.
Humans are tribal creatures, but it seems we have trouble conceiving of tribes larger than a few hundred or so people. I suspect for many (most?) the limit is usually being family and/or immediate community, with "community" defined by geographic, political, social or religious factors.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately, because I come from a large family and most of our relatives also have/had large families. We're related to so many people that we simply don't have much in common besides the familial relationship. There's so many of us, it is a logistical nightmare to organize a family event that includes more than a small handful of families. It's also too damned expensive, both in terms of feeding the masses and buying gifts for all.

We deal with it by acknowledging reality: after a time, kids grow up, have their own families, and announce they'll be splitting off and holding their own family gatherings in the future. Makes sense.

But we recently learned that my oldest brother and his now middle-aged offspring, who decades ago made this split, have been holding a serious grudge against the rest of us ever since they were minors: we didn't continue buying them Christmas presents.

SMDH.

At any rate, add that to your comment above: Some people feel entitled to continued support/assistance of their fellow human beings, and react badly when said support does not continue.

I've heard this bull before.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 am
Evil Husband Plan 12054: Get your wife out of her shell by getting her involved.
:snippity:
There's an educational adage that people (kids and adults) can only learn what they almost know already. You seem to have found a motivational equivalent: people can only be motivated to do what they almost want to do already. You put in place the joyous, life-affirming activity of the Sunday Food On Foot Dinner Service and its positivity attracted Mrs. to want to be involved, from that sprang motivation. Wonderful!

It is excellent in so many ways, brilliant work, well done!! :bighug: :thumbs:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:19 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:26 pm
:bighug:

Sometimes I think that's the invisible divide. Some of us take it for granted that it is a desirable and necessary thing to care for our fellow Earthlings. Some don't have that gland and think we are just stupid when we fall for their pretensions.
:snippity:

SMDH.

At any rate, add that to your comment above: Some people feel entitled to continued support/assistance of their fellow human beings, and react badly when said support does not continue.
I think the "they didn't send us a Christmas card" "buy presents for the kids' birthdays" response is a shallow excuse for whatever is going on in their cold, unfeeling hearts. The laying of blame is a big tell for a lack of humanity and compassion, and an excess of hubris.

The laying of blame is so thick in this country right now that we are all choking on it.

:bighug: (I also have a brother)

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:26 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:36 pm

I think the "they didn't send us a Christmas card" "buy presents for the kids' birthdays" response is a shallow excuse for whatever is going on in their cold, unfeeling hearts. The laying of blame is a big tell for a lack of humanity and compassion, and an excess of hubris.

The laying of blame is so thick in this country right now that we are all choking on it.

:bighug: (I also have a brother)
Thanks, Portia. Our family always ended gifts to other people's kids at age seven, again due to the sheer numbers. We all understood that. But this brother and his kids were really resentful about not continuing to get gifts from the rest of us, complaining into their teens about attending family Christmas if they weren't going to get presents. Well, kids can be brats. But I was stunned to discover that after all these decades, they're still furious over that family practice.

Then again, this brother and his kids have a history of getting handouts and abusing the systems. All of his kids had health issues as infants, and my brother would've gone bankrupt except for the gov't stepping in and the hospitals writing off a portion of his remaining debts. As adults, the kids have histories of multiple bankruptcies (they brag about maxxing out credit cards for vacations and dining/drinking, filing bankruptcy, rinse and repeat), welfare fraud, and even immigration fraud. And when a relative on their mom's side of the family died, they showed up at his home that very day, looking to loot it for stuff for themselves.

This is why I've come to the conclusion that some people feel entitled and feel rage when they don't get the goodies they believe they have coming to them.

► Show Spoiler

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

Oh my God.

I walked up to my local CVS (I was out of beer). Our CVS lets you bring your dog inside (which is awesome). A woman came in behind me with a big dog ( :lovestruck: ) and I walked to the beer aisle. As is typical for me, I had earbuds in and was listening to a podcast (My Favorite Murder). One of the employees started jumping up and down by the front door and making a “come here” gesture. I thought maybe the lady’s dog was loose, but then he pointed at me. I took my earbuds out, and he was yelling, “help me!” When I got closer I could see a guy lying on the ground having a seizure. He had fallen face first and was bleeding from the nose and mouth. I got on the phone with 911 while other customers and employees tried to help the guy, and I relayed instructions (911 operator said that while he was seizing not to restrain him or put anything in his mouth). He stopped seizing after a couple of minutes, but he was still really disoriented. He kept trying to get up and they kept gently getting him to lie back down until the paramedics arrived. Turned out he was an employee, and everyone knew him except me and the lady with the dog.

I wasn’t really frightened, but I might have been if I wasn’t on the phone with 911. She kept asking me questions and giving me instructions. We ended the call when the paramedics arrived, after they took the guy out on the gurney the poor guy who had tried to get my attention originally just burst into tears.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm
There's an educational adage that people (kids and adults) can only learn what they almost know already. You seem to have found a motivational equivalent: people can only be motivated to do what they almost want to do already. You put in place the joyous, life-affirming activity of the Sunday Food On Foot Dinner Service and its positivity attracted Mrs. to want to be involved, from that sprang motivation. Wonderful!

It is excellent in so many ways, brilliant work, well done!! :bighug: :thumbs:
I like that concept - teach them what they almost already know, and motivate them towards their inclination. I've experienced that first hand with apprentices, neighbors, and customers. I didn't realize I knew that already, or verbalized it so concisely. Thank you Sam.

In some respects I've always felt bad about doing it: tricking people into helping themselves. But, it lightened my load. They asked for less help in the future because they could do it themselves now. And they could do it for other people. That's the cool part - seeing someone graduate from needing help to lending help.

I answer their call for help, but insist they be present and willing to lend a hand. They see how it's done. They see how to use the tools. They get hands-on. They borrow the tools. Then they buy their own. Then they help someone else. It's a process, but I've seen it many times. Men and Women respond to this, and some of them have done really well.

A dispatcher that helped develope the gui (as discussed upthread) got a formal degree, and he eventually became the department head. Though the the agency is laregly self maintained now, they still throw work my way, and not to my competition. I get the Wizard's Work, and they take care of the Day-to-Day themselves.

The divorcee / single mom of three down the street just re-sided her house herself this Summer. It started with helping her fix a leaky roof, then a busted dryer, then a leaking pipe, and pretty soon she was taking on all the DIY Joys of Homeownership. In the meantime, she completed her degree, and went from being a TA to head of IT for the school district. She went from entirely unsure to entirely certain. it was fun to watch.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 am

On the drive in, I recalled a more recent "teaching" - the instrumentation tech for a moderate sized muni water treatment plant. He's twenty something, chemical engineering degree, with a specialization in fresh water supplies. He's responsible for all the daily testing of the water provided to the public. By himself. And being a public employee, that tiny phrase in his contract applies to him: "and all tasks as necessary". That means he not only has to run the tests, but he gets to maintain all the equipment as well, including the transport layer, which is where I fall in. He's progressing nicely.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Just no. Hell no.
Amazon pulls 'Daddy's Little Slut' T-shirt for children amid backlash
d-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:25 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:18 pm
Just no. Hell no.
Amazon pulls 'Daddy's Little Slut' T-shirt for children amid backlash
d-1.jpg
I am speechless.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Bleedin’ Jesus... tell me that’s a spoof, not an actual product. :pray:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

:cussing:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 am
I like that concept - teach them what they almost already know, and motivate them towards their inclination. I've experienced that first hand with apprentices, neighbors, and customers. I didn't realize I knew that already, or verbalized it so concisely. Thank you Sam.
I can't claim credit for the notion or the wording—I think it might be from Piaget, but I picked it up indirectly. I'm not knowledgeable on educational theory.

Yeah, it feels good when you see someone grow into new skills, doubly, trebly so when you can honestly feel that you have been a beneficial influence in the process. Enjoy the smugness, Bill!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Kyle Cheney wrote:???: This is wild.

As many have pointed out, the first letter in each of the top 23 tweets on @RepGosar's account spell "Epstein Didn't Kill Himself."

Check it out - https://twitter.com/RepGosar

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am

Rod Stewart’s favourite track is his New York model railway
Ben Ellery
November 13 2019, 12:01am, The Times

Rock’n’roll stars might be expected to spend much of their free time engaged in the associated pursuits of sex and drugs. Sir Rod Stewart, however, blows off steam in a more sedate manner.

The singer, 74, has revealed the painstaking results of 26 years spent building a 1,500 sq ft scale replica model railway inspired by postwar Manhattan.

The meticulously re-created set, which takes up most of the third floor of his mansion in Beverly Hills, includes skyscrapers more than 5ft high with hand-painted brickwork, rubbish-strewn streets, people going about their day — and trains.

The singer was wary of the media taking the “mickey” out of himThe singer was wary of the media taking the “mickey” out of him

“When I take on something creative like this, I have to give it 110 per cent,” he said. “For me it’s addictive. I started, so I just had to finish.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -x7f99dfmr
a couple of pics in the partial article

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:38 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am
Rod Stewart’s favourite track is his New York model railway
This is one of the reasons Rachel Hunter left him. She was young and wanted to go out and party; he was old and wanted to stay in, watch football, and work on his model train hobby.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:38 am
This is one of the reasons Rachel Hunter left him. She was young and wanted to go out and party; he was old and wanted to stay in, watch football, and work on his model train hobby.
At least he's kept a sense of humor.
Stewart seems to find his string of marriages, affairs and divorces almost as hilarious as the tabloids do. He once said: "Instead of getting married again, I'm just going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house." He laughs when I remind him. "Yes, I did say that, yet here I am, married again and happier than I've ever been. I've said a lot of stupid things in my time, of course. I once got into a lot of trouble when I said that marriage licences should be like dog licences, because then you could decide whether or not to renew them each year. People just didn't seem to see the amusing side."
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/ ... od-Stewart
:rotflmao:

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Barn owls mistaken for aliens in India's Visakhapatnam
Three barn owl chicks, with their large black eyes and featherless bodies, were mistaken for aliens in the Visakhapatnam city of India’s Andhra Pradesh state.

The three chicks were caught on film at a construction site by residents, who believed they had come across extraterrestrials, Deccan Chronicle reported.

The video of the “aliens” went viral, promoting the Nehru Zoological Park officials to clarify that that creatures were barn owls.

I'm seeing a bit of resemblance to Foggy in the features of those aliens to the right!

Too, also - the initial witness descriptions and drawing of the legendary creature Mothman correspond to a great degree to the night time appearance of a Barred Owl. Watch a YouTube video of a barred owl swooping at night with its large glowing red eyes, and you'll find it pretty convincing.
Is the Mothman of West Virginia an Owl?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:56 am

Speeding ticket anyone?
Bloodhound Car Breaks Its Own Record, Reaching 562 Mph (904.451 km/h)
Bloodhound's supersonic car has made another step towards its goal of breaking the land speed record.

Christopher McFadden
By Christopher McFadden
November 15, 2019

In their latest gamble to crush the current world speed record, Bloodhound LSR just completed another successful trial. While still short of the 763.035 mph (1,277.985 km/h) current record, they are inching ever closer to challenging it.

What is Bloodhound's supersonic car?

The Bloodhound LSR is a British designed and built a supersonic car that is powered by a Rolls-Royce EuroJet EJ200 afterburning turbofan jet engine as well as a Nammo HTP hybrid rocket. It follows in a long line of land speed record attempts from British engineers including the famous Sunbeam Blue Bird (1925) and Thrust2 in the 1980s.

The car's engine is designed to provide around nine tonnes of thrust (90 kN).

The car has been designed to be as aerodynamic as possible to reduce drag and improve performance.

https://interestingengineering.com/bloo ... 04451-km-h

video
► Show Spoiler

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm

I've always considering that kind of racing a waste of engineering. While "conventional" racing yielded improved power train, suspension, and tire designs, there is no practical application for 500mph cars.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:34 pm
I've always considering that kind of racing a waste of engineering. While "conventional" racing yielded improved power train, suspension, and tire designs, there is no practical application for 500mph cars.
How about the world speed record with an engine that is feasible for use in everyday driver automobiles? A jet engine? They tried it. It was a fuel guzzler.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Last night I and many others were passed by six revving cars trying to break interstate speed records . . .

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:09 pm

I sometimes feel like I am the only person (other than another technical writer) that knows that a process map (flow chart of a process) does NOT contain every freaking step you take to complete the process. It's high level. It is meant to give the person looking at it an overview of the process, not every bloody step.

ok... rant over.... back to banging my head against my desk.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Jez is walking along the Critical Path! :-D

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Oh no! CPM! Aaargh!

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “The Lounge”