Hijack this thread

DejaMoo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:26 pm

I've heard this bull before.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am

This will go over like a turd in a punch bowl with many Fogbowers, but I successfully got myself PC'd from a murder trial jury selection yesterday with increasingly polarized true answers. They had us answer written questions Monday. Tuesday, the attorneys conducted their verbal assessment elicting reactions to statements, and then teased out individual responses to reactions they observed:

I winced when they asked if anyone or a family member been a victim of violence - yes, and then briefly stated my wife witnessing a murder (no specifics or dates)

I raised my hand when they asked who worked with, or had family members in law enforcement - yes, and then explained how closely my work is to public safety.

Their questions about substance abuse seem to open the flood gates, and got a lot of reactions for the pool. I simply said "we are from a long line of Jack Mormons with a lot of alcoholics in it - I take a jaundiced view of it". That got a scrunched face thin eyed stare from the defense, and cat eyes from the prosecution.

I was pretty much goners by then. My number was not called after they moved us back to the waiting room.

Pooper scoopers.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Why was I following Ed Whelan on Twitter? I need a cleansing.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:08 am

Bill_G wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am
I was pretty much goners by then. My number was not called after they moved us back to the waiting room.

Pooper scoopers.
... and it was only a a three day trial.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 pm

:mememe: Obviously it was from Orly. She wants you to eat the candy, develop cavities, and call her office for an appointment. Shipping from Vegas was merely a ploy so you wouldn’t suspect her.

She may still be planning revenge because you made a fool out of her, or, she may simply want to get you in her famous dental chair of love.

:nooo:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:23 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 pm
Hidden Content
It means there is a poor Walmart customer care rep being badgered by someone tracking their precious shipment that it, in fact, has not arrived.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 am

Policy over Pride flags causes flap in Chelmsford
But with some selectmen citing concerns the town could face lawsuits if it denied requests by other groups to display their flags, the board voted 4-1 on Sept. 9 for a new policy that bars any flag to be flown on town property except the American, Massachusetts, and Chelmsford flags, the POW/MIA flag, or a town department flag.
I guess I don't understand how the POW-MIA flag gets to slide in here.

Not that i have an issue with the POW-MIA flag, but one of these things is not like the others..
There's no way back
from there to here

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:04 am

cuz verterans. They can be a vocal lot.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:53 am

https://www.law.com/dailyreportonline/2 ... hrown-out/
Former Doctor Sues Attorneys After His Murder Conviction Is Thrown Out

Noel Chua—the first physician in Georgia to face murder charges for improperly prescribing medications that led to someone’s death—claims in a federal lawsuit filed Sept. 18 that Atlanta attorneys Michael Lambros and Andrew Ekonomou, and Florida lawyer Steve Berry worked in tandem with county prosecutors and a former judge to violate Chua’s civil rights and secure his wrongful conviction for murder.

Chua was a popular and widely liked physician in Camden County in coastal Georgia when he was charged in 2006 with felony murder and multiple counts of illegally providing prescription drugs “outside the scope of a legitimate medical practice.” The charges stemmed from the death of Jamie Carter—Chua’s 20-year-old housemate, intern and sometime patient—who was found dead in Chua’s home after overdosing on a cocktail of prescription narcotics.

Chua’s lawsuit alleges that, while he was awaiting trial and serving time in prison, Lambros converted most of the physician’s assets to legal fees and paid himself out of Chua’s estate. Lambros was appointed as receiver for Chua’s estate after Brunswick Circuit District Attorney Stephen Kelley, now a Brunswick Superior Court judge, filed a civil racketeering forfeiture action against Chua following his indictment. Ekonomou, then Lambros’ law partner, was counsel to the receiver, the suit alleges.

During the first year after Chua was indicted, the firm then known as Lambros, Atkinson & Ekonomou siphoned nearly $100,000 in fees from Chua’s estate, the suit alleges. When Chua was released from prison in 2017, only $14,274 remained of his assets.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:32 pm

For any folks in the Miami area:
Netizens One Night Only Miami Screening

An interesting film about internet bullying and reputation destruction.
I know it pretty well.. the director/producer grew up three doors down and used to babysit our daughter.

The Miami showing hasn't hit its guarantee threshold yet, the other five showings across the country have. If you're interested, get your tickets before the deadline tonight.

more on the film:
Changing the Conversation: ‘Netizens’ Director Cynthia Lowen on Standing Up to Online Harassment
Tribeca Film Festival: Netizens
There's no way back
from there to here

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 pm
:mememe: Obviously it was from Orly. She wants you to eat the candy, develop cavities, and call her office for an appointment. Shipping from Vegas was merely a ploy so you wouldn’t suspect her.

She may still be planning revenge because you made a fool out of her, or, she may simply want to get you in her famous dental chair of love.

:swoon:

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm
Sunrise wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:47 pm

:swoon:
Pastrami.
There's no way back
from there to here

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 pm

:geezertowel:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:58 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:12 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Hidden Content

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 am

I have proof God is on my side: he sent me help last night.

In the last year, Mrs and I have started a neighborhood Sunday Dinner. The hardest thing about cooking for two is making small batches. It's just not the same. OTOH, cooking in large batches means days and days of reruns. We could freeze some of it. But, we decided we'd share instead, and began delivering our Sunday Dinners to four shut-in elderly neighbors we have. Kind of a personal Meals-On-Heels program. We'd kibitz for a bit, and then move on to the next house all within a block of our place.

Mrs hasn't been feeling well lately. So, I was on my own for the last few weeks. It wasn't bad when the weather cooperated. But, yesterday was dreary rain meaning I had to be extra careful to keep the food warm and dry. As I contemplated the logistics, there was a knock on the door. Missionaries! Perfect. These two young men had no idea what was in store for them.

I invited them in, told them the mission, they accepted, and we were off. Loaded up the large fruit box I usually carry, covered it with a towel, and we hit the street. The neighbors got a visit and a meal. The missionaries got their quota of visits (if they have a quota), and then they got a free meal out of the deal when we returned to my house. Bonus.

So, there you go. My aim is true and strong.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 am

:like:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am

That is so cool.
Image Image Image Image Image

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

tek wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:32 pm
For any folks in the Miami area:
Netizens One Night Only Miami Screening

An interesting film about internet bullying and reputation destruction.
This is a topic that deserves more attention. The average person doesn't have a clue how easily they could end up becoming the target of individual or coordinated outrage and attacks. Many also don't realize the potential consequences of their online activities in terms of retaliation, harassment, loss of job, threats to family members and friends. They may be vaguely aware of the risk in the abstract sense, but don't think it'll ever happen to them.

Until it does.

Happened to a friend of mine. The details are nightmarish, because his "offense" was so laughably minor, but he was targeted by a social justice group he supports who was looking to continue their presence in the local media and local politics, and he just unwittingly provided them with an opportunity. They destroyed his career, rendered him permanently unemployable, and ruined his family's life. All because of a few pieces of his practice fiction writing on his personal blog online that he'd put up under his real name and never made private because no one else ever read it. It was just his practice writing space.
I've heard this bull before.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am

Yesterday, The Boys in Blue, our Dodgers, won Game #100 ... Again! The last regular season game at home.

Dodgers Win 100

It was about 100° at Dodger Stadium, with super high humidity. But it felt like the best game of the year. (Which it certainly wasn't.) Awesome fun however, despite the miserable heat. Go Doyers!!!!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:36 am

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 am
I have proof God is on my side: he sent me help last night.

In the last year, Mrs and I have started a neighborhood Sunday Dinner. The hardest thing about cooking for two is making small batches. It's just not the same. OTOH, cooking in large batches means days and days of reruns. We could freeze some of it. But, we decided we'd share instead, and began delivering our Sunday Dinners to four shut-in elderly neighbors we have. Kind of a personal Meals-On-Heels program. We'd kibitz for a bit, and then move on to the next house all within a block of our place.

Mrs hasn't been feeling well lately. So, I was on my own for the last few weeks. It wasn't bad when the weather cooperated. But, yesterday was dreary rain meaning I had to be extra careful to keep the food warm and dry. As I contemplated the logistics, there was a knock on the door. Missionaries! Perfect. These two young men had no idea what was in store for them.

I invited them in, told them the mission, they accepted, and we were off. Loaded up the large fruit box I usually carry, covered it with a towel, and we hit the street. The neighbors got a visit and a meal. The missionaries got their quota of visits (if they have a quota), and then they got a free meal out of the deal when we returned to my house. Bonus.

So, there you go. My aim is true and strong.
I love you, man.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:46 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

Happened to a friend of mine. The details are nightmarish, because his "offense" was so laughably minor, but he was targeted by a social justice group he supports who was looking to continue their presence in the local media and local politics, and he just unwittingly provided them with an opportunity. They destroyed his career, rendered him permanently unemployable, and ruined his family's life. All because of a few pieces of his practice fiction writing on his personal blog online that he'd put up under his real name and never made private because no one else ever read it. It was just his practice writing space.
This upsets me. Can you provide more details, in PM if you like? I'm assuming something about the content of the fiction pieces was deemed to be unacceptable. But, social justice group? As in, a progressive group? Did the writing have anything to do with the group? It is the most common thing in the world now to put works in progress on line to either showcase your work, or invite critiques, or as part of a writers feedback group. I personally don't, but I have dozens of friends and colleagues who do. Wha happen?

:o

edited for me being blind
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm

I was curious as well.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Return to “The Lounge”