Hijack this thread

ZekeB

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by ZekeB »

Radiotelephone was EZ. Radiotelegraph was a real piece of work. I think they wrote the test I took back in the 50s and the never updated it. That's back when they weren't dumbing things down. Radiotelegraph even had about a half dozen spark gap questions.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:56 am
Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm
ETA: I could probably still copy Morse code at 20 words per minute though.
.... --- .-- / .- .-. . / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. - .... / ... . -- .- .--. .... --- .-. . ..--.. ?
Well, first of all— why the two question marks?

I never learned semaphore. Because there’s no, you know, like, radio involved.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

tek

Post by tek »

reading morse like that is amazingly hard for me.. I have to sound it out and listen to it..

as someone who never had to copy code groups, I pretty much copy by word and not letter.. can't do that with this format.. so I do maybe 4WPM..
There's no way back
from there to here

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

tek wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 am
I got my Radiotelephone First (as well as my Amateur Advanced) back when I was in college.. somewhere around 1977..
I got my Radiotelephone First back in 1982, with the marine radar endorsement. I went to a tech school whose faculty were nearly all retired Navy. We got paranoid right wing political commentary liberally sprinkled in with the lectures.

I recall one instructor telling us (this was in the Reagan era, remember) that our best career opportunity would be as a radioman in the Russian Navy. To hear him talk, we were gonna be attacked any minute.
I've heard this bull before.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I've heard this bull before.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:39 pm
:rotflmao:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Ummm.... somebody should tell John McCain

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

GreatGrey wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:28 pm

https:// twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1166763230703837187
Tal Kopan @TalKopan
Today USCIS issued guidance that DHS "no longer considers children of U.S. government employees and U.S. armed forces members residing outside the United States as 'residing in the United States' for purposes of acquiring citizenship” --https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil ... enship.pdf

19:23 - 28 Aug 2019
Hmmm - how does dotus expect the military to fight overseas when the kids of soldiers stationed abroad get denied US citizenship? How about the diplomatic corps, especially the supporting staff? How about all the employees that work for government agencies abroad, like UN attached, like narcotics agents assisting foreign governments? :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

I somewhat expect this new regulation to be shortlived :think:

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 pm
GreatGrey wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:28 pm

https:// twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1166763230703837187
Tal Kopan @TalKopan
Today USCIS issued guidance that DHS "no longer considers children of U.S. government employees and U.S. armed forces members residing outside the United States as 'residing in the United States' for purposes of acquiring citizenship” --https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/fil ... enship.pdf

19:23 - 28 Aug 2019
Hmmm - how does dotus expect the military to fight overseas when the kids of soldiers stationed abroad get denied US citizenship? How about the diplomatic corps, especially the supporting staff? How about all the employees that work for government agencies abroad?
Yeah, this is bullshit, especially since you can’t just quit the military if you get ordered overseas. You have to wait til your tour ends or your obligation expires. Then what? Is your foreign-born non-citizen, non-resident child even eligible to enter the US?
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Hmmm - how does dotus expect the military to fight overseas when the kids of soldiers stationed abroad get denied US citizenship? How about the diplomatic corps, especially the supporting staff? How about all the employees that work for government agencies abroad, like UN attached, like narcotics agents assisting foreign governments? :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

I somewhat expect this new regulation to be shortlived :think:
No, if a parent is a U.S. citizen, the children will be U.S. citizens.

The bigger problem, I would think, would be the non-U.S. citizens working for the U.S. government or serving as members of our Armed Forces. It's their children who will be denied citizenship. I guess it's just adding to the fact that non-citizens who have served in our Armed Forces and have been promised a path to citizenship are now being deported.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Isn't it a case of what they consider and what the law says two different things?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:28 pm

No, if a parent is a U.S. citizen, the children will be U.S. citizens.

The bigger problem, I would think, would be the non-U.S. citizens working for the U.S. government or serving as members of our Armed Forces. It's their children who will be denied citizenship. I guess it's just adding to the fact that non-citizens who have served in our Armed Forces and have been promised a path to citizenship are now being deported.
Ummm, not what I’m seeing here. The kids must apply for citizenship & be naturalized.

121BA7AE-B2E7-492E-B5A0-9428FFFFEDB6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Doesn’t Congress get to set the rules?
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

See, to my simple mind, if you have to fill out paperwork or take an oath, the citizenship isn’t automatic.

And to birthers, it wouldn’t qualify as ‘natural born’.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

They’ve updated the rules. That didn’t take long.

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/ ... ual-update

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

From an article clarifying the new rules at https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... rseas.html:
Here’s who the policy affects:
  • Children who live with their U.S. parents abroad but who did not acquire citizenship at birth, including infants and children adopted overseas.
  • Children born of non-U.S. citizens who are adopted by U.S. citizens.
  • Those whose parents became U.S. citizens after the child's birth.
  • U.S. citizens who do not meet the residence or physical presence rules needed to transmit birthright citizenship, such as a person born overseas with birthright citizenship who never lived in the United States.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/201 ... shows.html
Man in MAGA hat clashed with different Portland bar crowd before his alleged assault, video shows

A man who said he was attacked outside a Portland bar for wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat while on a date with his wife had menaced and threatened patrons at a different bar earlier in the evening, according to the customer who captured the scene on video.

“The second I locked eyes with him there was no doubt in my mind he was looking for a fight,” Michael Radosevich told The Oregonian/OregonLive on Tuesday.

Police later that night arrested two people on suspicion of pummeling Lenzner outside a second Southeast Portland bar, less than a mile away.

Lenzner also said he never served in the military, but some of his family members have. “In the heat of the moment it came out wrong,” he said in the statement. “I’m truly sorry for that.”
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Daily Kos update:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/8 ... =emaildkre

Lenzner told KPTV that he was out having a nice calm evening on a date night with his wife, when everybody suddenly started being mean to him, just because he was wearing a MAGA hat. Things escalated from verbal to physical when the couple went outside, according to Lenzner: "I got mobbed by everybody that was in that bar outside. People came from the inside out—just circled me and my wife."

Security footage didn’t exactly prove Mr. MAGAmacho’s account, but he does seem to have been assaulted by a couple, 22-year-old Leopold A. Hauser and 23-year-old Adebisi A. Okuneye, who Lenzner had a conflict with during his and his wife’s brief time inside of Growler’s Taproom. The report says that Mr. and Mrs. MAGAromance went into the bar, but last call was already over and the bar was closing.

Then, on Tuesday, new footage appeared showing Lenzner in a yelling match with patrons at a different bar, The Vern, just a couple of hours before he got a black eye at Growlers. In the video, Mr. MAGAdranktoomuch screams, “You live in America, right? I serve for fucking you!” Mr. MAGAuniverse is then calmly asked to leave. The bar employee even says “please.”

In the least surprising turn of events, it was soon revealed that Lenzner didn’t serve in our armed forces, any more than his revered Donald Trump did. It’s not necessarily a case of “stolen valor,” the term used for frauds pretending they are decorated military folks, but it’s the MAGA-low level equivalent. Mr. MAGAmightymilitaryman told KATU that he “regretted” saying that and blamed it on being in the heat of the moment. Let’s think about that for the briefest of moments. And … [coughs] … we’re done.
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

A brief hijack, this of a sportsball nature. Fogbow has had a "pick 'em" the whole time it's been around.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12083

It's for fun, there's no money involved, just bragging rights. It runs all 15 weeks of the college football season and all the bowl games. Everyone is invited to participate.

I think you have to "opt-in" to see the sports sections as we also do an NFL pick 'em, too.

End of the interruption to your evening.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Get an MBA Online Degree At an Affordable Price, Exactly What you Looking For

MBA Degrees | Sponsored Listings
No English classes required.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Master with Bogus Accreditation?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Trump U is open for business again?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-new ... s11#page=2
6-year-old girl fights to get female army men added to the toy military

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — It was during one of her brother's air raids, that 6-year-old Vivian Lord was struck by the fact that her army men were all just that — men. "I noticed that there was no girl army men," she said. "They don't make them."

So the little girl from Little Rock, Arkansas, wrote a letter that read in part, "Please can you make army men girls that look like women?"

She sent copies to several army men manufacturers, including Jeff Imel, owner of BMC Toys in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Shortly after receiving Vivian's letter, Jeff commissioned the first prototype. He expects them to be ready by Christmas of 2020. "That makes me super happy. I will play with them every day," Vivian said.

Hurtzi

List of Motoryachts

Post by Hurtzi »

This story

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billspring ... -time/amp/

(it's AMADEA and not Amaeda ) made me look up this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _by_length

list in Wikipedia.

Of the first 30 ships 21 were built in Germany, none in the US (of 150 in the list one - No. 121).
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

tek

Post by tek »

well, let the show begin.. The house hits the market .. open house today.. after three exhausting weeks of cleaning and tossing..

(most of our furniture is in florida already)
Hope we see some buyer action..
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Lounge”