Hijack this thread

ZekeB

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 am

neonzx wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:39 pm
p.s. He bought it for his patio so he would have a place to set his beers so his cat would stop knocking them over. :rotflmao:
This is one of many ways a dog far outshines a cat. A dog would get you a beer whereas a cat would merely knock your beer over.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 am
neonzx wrote:
p.s. He bought it for his patio so he would have a place to set his beers so his cat would stop knocking them over. :rotflmao:
This is one of many ways a dog far outshines a cat. A dog would get you a beer whereas a cat would merely knock your beer over.
What I don’t understand is why your friend would think that putting his beers on top of the stand that a cat could easily jump on would prevent the cat from knocking them over.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:27 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am
What I don’t understand is why your friend would think that putting his beers on top of the stand that a cat could easily jump on would prevent the cat from knocking them over.
That would mean my friend would have to drink his beer while standing up and holding the beer in his hand. Cats seem to be able to climb up wherever they please.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:35 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am
ZekeB wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:03 am
neonzx wrote:
Maybe his actual intention is to put the cat in the tilt-out drawer.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:56 pm

I was going to say that neon's friend owns a cat, but thought it was possible to have a beer not get knocked over by a cat?

:P
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Here's a cat. I'm sitting on the potty with my pants and underpants around my ankles. He has decided to move in. To my underpants. Happy Father's Day, you've been graced with an underpants cat. Can you see the love? Daddy, I love you SO MUCH. So much that I'm moving into your underpants. I don't remember any of my dogs doing that, but most of them weighed near 100 lbs. and wouldn't fit.

Sigh.

pottycat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Kitty!!!!!! :heart:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Nice chonies.
Image Image Image Image Image

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:57 pm

:shock: :cantlook:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:45 pm

I will not unsee that! And whoever heard of a pussy getting into a guy's pants? :cantlook:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:57 pm

:lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:14 pm

:rotflmao:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

FB_IMG_1560728381564.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 pm

carbs.jpg
There's no way back
from there to here

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:54 am

My car currently has 3 music stands, 3 microphone stands, 2 speaker stands, and a wooden lectern. No one will take advantage of me. When necessary, I take a stand (or nine).
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:12 am

Yard bunnies have returned.
IMGP2325.jpg
Wildlife's gonna look a bit different at the Florida house, I suspect..
There's no way back
from there to here

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 am

Blech. I nearly broke my ankle last year when stepping in a rabbit hole while mowing. They're a nuisance. I thought the last blizzard wiped them out, but saw a young one I my back yard last week. I've since sighted in the scope on my air rifle.

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm

So, I am an idiot. I had a doctor's appointment today where my Gyn brought in someone to do an ultrasound. I totally forgot. I had put it on my calendar for Friday, for some reason.

Anyway, two charges I can't really afford at the moment.

*sighs*

Gonna go sit in a corner and feel sorry for myself.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Jez wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm
So, I am an idiot. I had a doctor's appointment today where my Gyn brought in someone to do an ultrasound. I totally forgot. I had put it on my calendar for Friday, for some reason.

Anyway, two charges I can't really afford at the moment.

*sighs*

Gonna go sit in a corner and feel sorry for myself.
So sorry, Jez. Feel sorry with me. I do that ALL the time!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:03 am

For people who have seen a Orly in action...

Who does a worse job, Orly or this USA arguing that keeping immigrants in cells with no amenities is Safe & Sanitary.

Start at 25:00 and let the video run for 6 minutes or so to get the flavor.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 am

Hi GG. Good to see you. I was wondering where yo went.

tek

Post by tek » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 pm

As we continue cleaning and packing to prep for the big move, we keep finding time capsules..

Some of daughter.tek's favorite toys, ca 1990:
IMGP2328sm.jpg
There's no way back
from there to here

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 pm

tek wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:24 pm
As we continue cleaning and packing to prep for the big move, we keep finding time capsules..

Some of daughter.tek's favorite toys, ca 1990:

IMGP2328sm.jpg
Memories.....
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 am

p0rtia wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:52 pm
Cool ramble, Danraft. I know just enough about genetics and biology to follow what you're saying (without ever dreaming of adding anything substantive to the discussion). Though I did find myself telling my ENT doc on Wednesday, as we discussed IF and low carb and he expressed his concern that if he didn't eat enough carbs, his muscles wouldn't get enough glucose, that he had nothing to fear because first of all, there was more than enough glycogen in the liver to carry him through a day or so, and that secondly, the bod produces plenty of glucose from amino acids, lactate, and lipids when fasted. I'm sure I screwed up the details, though :cantlook:

Your fibro talk makes me want to rush out and get a dear friend (who suffers horribly from fibro but alas is not diabetic) on metformin.

What's your take on cancer as a metabolic process, in whole or in part?
I'm sorry, you didn't "quote" me, so I wasn't notified. Yes, the "ketogenic" diet has some great attention. For those not familiar, the ketogenic diet has been used medically for ages for help with epilepsy (and that's a complex path I don't have time for ) so is well defined and invoves putting one's body into a state of burning fat and amino acids for energy instead of the traditional respitory chain that one may have studied in highschool of the Citric Acid Cycle or Kreb Cylcle. It is currently become a diet fad as a way to hack the system and induce weight loss (initally a lot of water weight) and inducing fat burning by not having ANY sugar or foods easily made into sugars--translation-- a LOT of meat. There are keto-test strips to know your body is in ketosis and in some cases you can smell it anyway... I have few comments on it as the research studies have been mostly positive. It's not congruent with what I learned was healthy-- the hardest part for me is that metabolising proteins and fats produces some horrible byproducts and carbohydrates burn pure.

One reason the keto diet has gained popularity is by questioning the traditional view of what cancer is. Is it a metabolic disease as Warburg defined in in the 30's? He noted that almost all cancers had metabolic defects in their mitochondria. And, this was recently picked up by a doctor treating brain cancer who started using the keto diet as a method of control/treatment. He documented several successes and in some cancer types it does have positive results. Unfortunately, there are also misinformed who forgoe chemo treatments thinking diet alone can cure cancer. I won't say it "can't", beause there are, to me, certainly important strong effects-- but, it lacks credible efficacy for stand alone treatment.

But, the same doctor also noted another study wherein the nucleus of a cancer cell was transferred into a healthy cell; and conversely, a healthy nucleus was transferred into a cancer cells cytoplasm. Given the mutation-centric view of cancer, one would expect that the cancerous nucleus would induce cancer in a healthy cell and its progeny and that a healthy nucleus would cause a cell to revert.

The opposite was apparantly true by this study ( which has been inconsistently reproduced) The implication is that cancer would not be a "mutation disease," but rather an "expression disease". Objectively, this is often true as the "mutation"/error/ abherrant gene is present in many cells for year,s or a lifespan, without becoming cancer. And, the adjoining cells next to a tumor may transform.

A LOT of controversy. Peoples careers destroyed. The academic world has been, since the 80's or so, not just reluctant to consider that foundational beliefs were wrong, but more than willing to punish the messenger, or cover up failures.

Don't take this as a large number of scientists, but the actions of a few are sometimes enough to set the tone that counter-orthodox is a risky position to take.

In my limited understanding, coming at afresh and more than willing to discard whatever doesn't fit the data. YES. Many of the hallmarks of cancer indicate that it is a metabolic disease, or , at the very least, often has a metabolic component.

Translation of "metabolic", in this case, most often involves the mitochondria. The little powerplants were theoretically a symbiote ( a simple bacteria) that bacame an organelle. Wiht todays gene sequencing, there isn't much room for doubt. BUT--- again, it was "assumed " that mitochondria were well behaved little organelles just doing the same thing all the time unless there was a specific mutation. NOt a chance. For one, mitochondrial "mismatch" , which occurs with populations mix, is when the very recent changes in humans for adapting to a brain that burns so much energy and cannot live without glucose easily and is subject to almost immediate hypoxia requires special adaptations. These are not identical and there are about 5 different sub-populations globally and when the nuclear genes match up with the non-match mitochondria, interesting things can happen.

This is absolutely fascinating to me and I have strong opinions as to relevance not only with cancer, but a spectrum of chronic and neurolgical ailments.On a feel-good side, all of my observations and predictions are not controversial in some circles. But, one must tread lightly as those, for whom research was frustrating because of a missing puzzle piece, have a kind of PTSD, maybe???
The Mercury Project

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am

Danraft wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 am
I'm sorry, you didn't "quote" me, so I wasn't notified. Yes, the "ketogenic" diet has some great attention. :snippity: It is currently become a diet fad as a way to hack the system and induce weight loss (initally a lot of water weight) and inducing fat burning by not having ANY sugar or foods easily made into sugars--translation-- a LOT of meat. :snippity: It's not congruent with what I learned was healthy-- the hardest part for me is that metabolising proteins and fats produces some horrible byproducts and carbohydrates burn pure.
Sorry for the non-quote. Since I am eager for your thoughts, I will not make that mistake again!

So, regarding the above: 1) Not generally a lot of meat with the weight-management crowd: generally a lot of fat (from 60 to 75% of calories). 2) The big plus about keto is that it is sustainable, because, unlike calorie restriction, it controls hunger (doesn't decrease leptin and makes good use of satiety peptides). 3) What byproducts????
Danraft wrote:
But, the same doctor also noted another study wherein the nucleus of a cancer cell was transferred into a healthy cell; :snippity: The opposite was apparantly true by this study ( which has been inconsistently reproduced) The implication is that cancer would not be a "mutation disease," but rather an "expression disease".
What study is this?
Danraft wrote:
Translation of "metabolic", in this case, most often involves the mitochondria.... :snippity:
This is a very cool statement; one which, as a non-scientist, I would not be capable of producing. I've read about what happens to mitochondria in cancer, and how it is not in the mainstream of current cancer protocols, but this says it so simply.

Which brings us back to autophagy, yes? And keto, and intermittant/short-term fasting. On a related note, I'm puzzled as to why current cancer protocols pretty much ignore (not to say, reject) the idea of a metabolic component in cancer when they also point to the statistical connection between obesity and, say, breast cancer occurrence, and recommend a low-fat diet and weight loss to patients.

Which brings us to the difference between dietary fats and body fat, and thus back to keto.
Danraft wrote:
This is absolutely fascinating to me and I have strong opinions as to relevance not only with cancer, but a spectrum of chronic and neurological ailments. On a feel-good side, all of my observations and predictions are not controversial in some circles. But, one must tread lightly as those, for whom research was frustrating because of a missing puzzle piece, have a kind of PTSD, maybe???
We all guard our own knowledge base, at least. Some more fiercely than others. I read papers and articles comparing the effectiveness of various weight-loss protocols, and I find them lacking in the human element, which annoys me. Reading explanations as to why people inevitably regain weight they have lost is frequently laughable ("Your body wants you to be fat" being one of the most annoying fad explanations). And the (unintentionally related) journal article that recommended like a 40 or 50 percent reduction in caloric intake as a potential benefit to extending life / fighting cancer. I mean, seriously? Anybody ever tried that? This is, for the majority of breathing humans, utterly unsustainable.

But I still love and respect the scientists and their research. As McCoy said to spoke, "I'd rather have your guess than anyone else's certainty." (paraphrase). You'll all get there, eventually.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”