Hijack this thread

DejaMoo

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm
:bored: Waited around all day for a repairman...
I'd made an appointment with a local plumbing/heating company for a job I needed. Confirmed the scheduled date/time, took that day off work. They phoned that morning, about an hour before they were due to show, saying they wouldn't be coming, because they had a customer whose "need was greater" than mine.

They knew nothing at all about my circumstances, because they made that decision without calling me first.

I found somebody else to do my job, and found out afterward that the first company (despite its high ranking on Angie's List) has a reputation for suddenly leaving customers in the lurch.

Eff 'em.
I've heard this bull before.

noblepa

Post by noblepa » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:16 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 am
Complaining about someone's weight is right up there with criticizing folks who appear able-bodied and yet park in handicapped spots. I've known at least two people who looked very healthy but had heart problems which restricted how much they were capable of walking.

So knock it off.

--------

Edited to add: Trump is fair game. Anyone who acts like a mean teenager and calls other people names opens themselves up to being called names.
My wife has a condition called fibromyalgia, which is a connective tissue disease, similar to rheumatism. It causes severe pain in her arms and legs. She also has congestive heart failure.

Neither of these conditions is visible to a casual observer, but both make it difficult and painful for her to walk long distances. She has sometimes gotten dirty looks from people when she parks in a handicapped spot (she has a state-issued handicap parking tag).

On the other hand, I have seen people (men mostly) park in a handicapped spot, and literally sprint into the store. I suspect that they have a family member who needs the tag and they are simply taking advantage of it, even when that person is not in the car.

I used to make it a habit to not use the handicapped spots, even though I have a tag, when my wife was not with me. For the last year, I have been recovering from knee replacement and gastric sleeve surgery, so I did use the tag. Now that I am back on my feet, I have returned to the habit of not parking in hc spots when I am alone.

As far as weight is concerned, as others have pointed out, everyone's metabolism is different. Some people simply burn more calories than others. There is also a psychological component to it. My wife contradicts the old Lay's potato chip commercial; she is perfectly capable of "eating just one". I am not. I can go weeks or months without eating a chip, but put a bag in front of me and its gone. I've talked to my doctors about this and they agree that there is something akin to what an alcoholic experiences. An alcoholic must avoid that first drink at all costs. If they don't, its a downhill slide to oblivion. In my case, I must avoid that first potato chip (pizza slice, cheesecake, etc.). If I don't, I'll put the weight back on.

There is a natural tendency to be judgemental. When I weighed more that 300 pounds, I would see others who weighed even more and say to myself "how can they let themselves go like that". I was self-aware enough to realize the hypocrisy of those thoughts, but I still had them. Now that I've lost 130 pounds, I see those people and I hope that they can get the help I did.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am

Too also, increasing lipid mass is one thing. Decreasing lipid mass (especially over the long term) rarely involves a simple reversal. Once you are there, everything changes. I speak to thee of ghrelin and leptin, cortisol and insulin. And the Big Fat Lie.

Our current medical take on obesity is pre-Coppernican.

I've been thinking for a long time that we could use a weight-management thread here. Or a weight-management awareness thread.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am
Too also, increasing lipid mass is one thing. Decreasing lipid mass (especially over the long term) rarely involves a simple reversal. Once you are there, everything changes. I speak to thee of ghrelin and leptin, cortisol and insulin. And the Big Fat Lie.

Our current medical take on obesity is pre-Coppernican.

I've been thinking for a long time that we could use a weight-management thread here. Or a weight-management awareness thread.
Why don't you start one ?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

The analogy of people with overeating addiction and alcoholics is a good one.

Alcoholics say "I drink because I'm miserable and stressed." You ask why and the reason boils down to: because I drink to excess.

I've heard obese people say the same thing about overeating. "It's the only thing that makes be feel better." But they often are miserable and stressed largely because of their weight.

In both cases, pathological denial means they don't make the connection, and all the shaming and cajoling in the world won't make a dent in it.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:28 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

Alcoholics say "I drink because I'm miserable and stressed." You ask why and the reason boils down to: because I drink to excess.

I've heard obese people say the same thing about overeating. "It's the only thing that makes be feel better." But they often are miserable and stressed largely because of their weight.

In both cases, pathological denial means they don't make the connection, and all the shaming and cajoling in the world won't make a dent in it.
But there is a major difference. An alcoholic has the option to avoid alcohol entirely (some, obviously, are more successful at this than others). The human body does not need alcohol to survive. A person who overeats cannot avoid eating.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Poe's Law kicks in here, I do believe:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:28 am
RoadScholar wrote:

But there is a major difference. An alcoholic has the option to avoid alcohol entirely (some, obviously, are more successful at this than others). The human body does not need alcohol to survive. A person who overeats cannot avoid eating.
True, but the alcoholic usually has to be around people drinking... business outings, family events, friends who still drink. I'd say the challenges of changing their habits are about the same. And nobody should think either one is easy.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Adam Klasfeld

Verified account

@KlasfeldReports
2h2 hours ago
More
New: @PPFA and the @ACLU filed separate lawsuits in SDNY suing @HHSGov for issuing a rule that "would allow almost any health care provider" to deny "virtually any health service" -- or withhold info on health care options -- based on personal objections alone. @CourthouseNews
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:24 pm
Adam Klasfeld

Verified account

@KlasfeldReports
2h2 hours ago
More
New: @PPFA and the @ACLU filed separate lawsuits in SDNY suing @HHSGov for issuing a rule that "would allow almost any health care provider" to deny "virtually any health service" -- or withhold info on health care options -- based on personal objections alone. @CourthouseNews
All of us involved in the battle over abortion have warned for years that this was coming. Listen in to casual conversations with some of the fundies in the health care field and you'll hear tales that'll curl your hair. These types are very comfortable judging patients based on their own personal/religious beliefs. They'll be happy to be able to legally punish transgressors by denying them care.

Remember, Mother Teresa denied pain control to the suffering and dying under her care due to her own religious belief that suffering is good for the soul. She's not the only one who believes that. If you have a chronic pain condition or a terminal medical condition, you have good reason to fear that you'll be denied the pain control you need in order to make one of your care providers feel righteous in the eyes of their god - or just get off on exercising their power to hurt another person. There are sociopaths in all professions.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Patient care seems to be just the opposite of what these people are talking about. :crying:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 pm

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jon-stew ... 4c6abfa732
Comedian Jon Stewart on Tuesday rebuked members of Congress for their failure to pass legislation that would ensure funding for Sept. 11 first responders and their families never runs out.

The former host of “The Daily Show” delivered heated comments to a House Judiciary subcommittee on the need to reauthorize the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF), which is facing a significant funding lapse. The Never Forget the Heroes Act of 2019 would ensure the fund can deliver benefits to 9/11 responders for the next 70 years.
:x

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:08 pm
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jon-stew ... 4c6abfa732
Comedian Jon Stewart on Tuesday rebuked members of Congress for their failure to pass legislation that would ensure funding for Sept. 11 first responders and their families never runs out.

The former host of “The Daily Show” delivered heated comments to a House Judiciary subcommittee on the need to reauthorize the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF), which is facing a significant funding lapse. The Never Forget the Heroes Act of 2019 would ensure the fund can deliver benefits to 9/11 responders for the next 70 years.
:x
Many years ago I went to a continuing legal education seminar put on by the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces. The keynote speaker was Kenneth Feinberg, the special master of the 9/11 victims compensation fund. He discussed the difficulties in determining what someone’s life was worth. He has since written a book about it.

One of the things that stuck with me was he talked about claimants who sought Compensation for the loss of their same-sex loved one, and he was unable to provide it to them because that was prohibited under federal law by the Defense of Marriage Act. He said a typical scenario would be, “I have lived with this person for the last 40 years. They hadn’t spoken to their family who had disowned them after they came out. And now the family says that it is *they* who are entitled to that 1+ million dollars.” But his hands were tied. It was horrible.

What I don’t know is whether any of these people were able to re-file after the defense of marriage act was held unconstitutional.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

OK all you patriotic Americans, brace yourself for a shock.

The turkeys we eat today are not descended from the wild American turkeys that the Pilgrims ate. :nope:

All modern domestic turkeys (worldwide) are descended from domestic Mexican turkeys (native Mesoamericans domesticated the turkey over 2000 years ago) brought to Spain in the 16th Century.

From Spain these were introduced to England where they were mistakenly thought to be native to Turkey hence the name. English colonists then brought them to what is now the USA.

So come Thanksgiving serve your turkey with a side of salsa. :thumbs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_turkey
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 am

Can we do without the Chihuahua and Guinea Pig?
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 am
Can we do without the Chihuahua and Guinea Pig?
I didn't know you could make a turducken that way.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 am

I can't even remember the last time I had chihuahua and Guinea pig for Thanksgiving. :think:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm

They could have booked Alfred E. Newman. They could have booked Bozo the Clown. But nooooooooo… they booked Rudy the Demented.

https://www.weareiowa.com/news/local-ne ... 2068907472

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:42 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm
They could have booked Alfred E. Newman. They could have booked Bozo the Clown. But nooooooooo… they booked Rudy the Demented.

The 107th Mayor of New York City, Rudy Giuliani will deliver a speech called “Principled Leadership in the Face of Change and Crisis.”

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:44 pm

There you went and did it! You broke the irony meters of each and every member.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:34 pm

RoadScholar wrote:

Just NO. You are repeating (by saying someone is "in denial") the sort of old wives' tales that contribute to societies insane view of obesity. Not to mention generalizing, big time.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
:bored: Still waiting.

Monday's text said "Wednesday AM."

Dude sent me a text yesterday: "You are our 2nd appointment. Will be there closer to noon."

I sent him a text at around 4:00 pm today asking if he was planning on coming today, and if not, don't bother coming at all.

He texted back, "We are finishing our second job and will be at your job around 5-530."

Wait. I thought *I* was the second job.

:bored: :bored: :bored:

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:36 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm

They got a 2 for one deal with Rudy..a caricature and and clown.. good job!!!!!!

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
:bored: Still waiting.

Monday's text said "Wednesday AM."

Dude sent me a text yesterday: "You are our 2nd appointment. Will be there closer to noon."

I sent him a text at around 4:00 pm today asking if he was planning on coming today, and if not, don't bother coming at all.

He texted back, "We are finishing our second job and will be at your job around 5-530."

Wait. I thought *I* was the second job.

:bored: :bored: :bored:
If they're this rushed and this blur, how good do you think their work will be?

Return to “The Lounge”