Hijack this thread

pipistrelle

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by pipistrelle » Sat May 12, 2018 11:47 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 am
So the three reasons not to vote for Mr. Bhojani were that he was a Muslim, a Democrat and a (gasp) lawyer. :lol:
You have the wrong order. Being a lawyer is more evil than being a Democrat.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 11:51 am

http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/ed ... 64299.html
According to the last U.S. Census, 33 percent of Euless’ population is non-white. Students in the Hurst-Euless-Bedford school district speak at least 78 different languages, and more than 60 percent are non-white.
This is the demographic destiny. Euless, and many other places that are still majority white, won't be when the current crop of children become adults. The best thing to do is make sure those children get the best education possible. :thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Students say school tossed their lunches in the trash because they didn’t have enough money in their accounts
Brad Reed BRAD REED
09 MAY 2018 AT 09:56 ET

Students at in the Stanley-Boyd school district in Wisconsin say that school staff members have taken to throwing their lunches in the garbage because they don’t have enough money on their school lunch accounts.

Local news station WQOW reports that the Stanley-Boyd school district recently has been trying to crack down on giving out lunches to students whose accounts have hit $0.

However, some students and parents say that school staff members have gone too far by taking away lunches that students were already in the middle of eating and then tossing them in the trash.

Stanley-Boyd Superintendent Jim Jones tells WQOW that “no employee at the district has physically taken a lunch and thrown it in the garbage,” but students and parents who talked with the station said that just wasn’t the truth.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/studen ... -accounts/

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi
My husband and I have been staying at Hope Lodge, a place for cancer patients and a caretaker to stay for free while receiving cancer therapy. It is SO nice; new and clean with a great staff. There are 3 modern kitchens, a dining area, several nice lounges, a library and a workout room on the main floor. The 2 upstairs floors have small but very nice private rooms with private baths. Meals are ones own responsibility but so many people, church groups etc. donate meals that one would never go hungry. All the running of the place is paid for by the American Cancer Society. No qualifications to stay here except to have cancer and come from 40+ minutes away. Only 2 per room ....I didn't know such generosity existed....

My charity of choice is now ACS.

:clap:

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 am

So the three reasons not to vote for Mr. Bhojani were that he was a Muslim, a Democrat and a (gasp) lawyer. :lol:
Sounds like Tea Party rationale to me.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat May 12, 2018 10:18 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm
Hi
My husband and I have been staying at Hope Lodge, a place for cancer patients and a caretaker to stay for free while receiving cancer therapy. It is SO nice; new and clean with a great staff. There are 3 modern kitchens, a dining area, several nice lounges, a library and a workout room on the main floor. The 2 upstairs floors have small but very nice private rooms with private baths. Meals are ones own responsibility but so many people, church groups etc. donate meals that one would never go hungry. All the running of the place is paid for by the American Cancer Society. No qualifications to stay here except to have cancer and come from 40+ minutes away. Only 2 per room ....I didn't know such generosity existed....

Good luck. I've seen this kind of care for cancer treatment. It is amazing and very humbling to be on the receiving end of it. There are a lot of wonderful, caring people out there.

:bighug:

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 am

A French architect told me once that he hires one of those whenever possible

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/w ... eymen.html

будем здоровы!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 am

FB_IMG_1526219717914.jpg
Eastern King Snake on the North Raleigh Greenway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun May 13, 2018 9:59 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 pm
----snippity snip----
I will send anyone who is interested the information if you want to take a gander at their career page. I know they are looking for a skilled Report Writer. I bet Jez has skills this company would appreciate too. And yes, I'm certain they would jump at the chance for :sterngard: to come on board. But keep in mind...this is Florida. Sorry! :lol:
I'm loving you got a new job! Congrats! I'm still waiting to see if I'm going to be brought on full time with my current contract. BUT, always on the look out for something better.

Alas, I'm not a report writer. That takes a skill set that I have not mastered, nor used, in very many years. Now, if you need a procedure on how to write the report and a policy for the distribution of said reporting... that I can do. :D

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 3:55 pm

WriteItDown wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm
Hi

I am so sorry that you are going through the experience of cancer. It must be very difficult. I am glad you shared the information about Hope Lodge. Your story has caused me to make a decision to donate more often to the ACS. Hope Lodge sounds like such a blessing. It's amazing how this kind of thing can make all the difference in the world to someone who is facing enough difficulty as it is. I'm so glad this is available for you and wish you all the best.

:bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 am

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing it here.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 pm

That was really interesting. Thanks for posting that link.

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Mon May 14, 2018 2:22 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 pm

That was really interesting. Thanks for posting that link.
Have you noticed in the last picture that they drink from only one huge beerglass ? Is called drinking a "Stiefel " - a boot. Sign of friendship.

будем здоровы!

Carl von Ossietsky

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Mon May 14, 2018 3:36 am

A liitle more info on the education in "skilled crafts and trades " in the German speaking countries (and South Korea !) here
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_education_system

будем здоровы!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:28 am

So W2 and I ubered over to the Maine DMV to apply for Maine IDs. (We don’t drive.) W2 had been worrying about this all last week, of course. He downloaded the forms, carefully checked what identification he needed, and made 2 envelopes with our documents. So off we went.

Only to discover... he had forgotten to sign his passport, and HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE HAD FOOTIE PRINTS!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

He had decided on the hospital cert because it had a ginourmous raised golden seal. The actual cert has a holograph seal and a barely raised seal. The instructions said 2 forms of ID, so he took 2.

The woman behind the counter and I enjoyed making him squirm, but she went ahead and let him slide. So in 2-3 weeks, we’ll be official residents.

That’s white privilege, BTW. I doubt the Somalis behind us had such an easy time.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 pm

http://www.openculture.com/2014/11/phot ... r-dad.html
Photos of a Very Young Frida Kahlo, Taken by Her Dad

Ay que linda!

Long before the tumultuous marriage to Diego Rivera and the mortifications of the flesh occasioned by a horrific bus accident, and longer still before the avalanche of Frida-centric kitsch and tchotchkes and the Julie Taymor biopic starring Salma Hayek, there was a cherubic little girl named Magdalena Carmen Frieda Kahlo y Calderón.

Witness these photos of young Magdalena Carmen Frieda, taken by her Hungarian Jewish father, Guillermo, over a period of twenty years.
Young-Frida-Kahlo-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm

I found this an interesting read about Ronan Farrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/ ... ein-me-too
“Thanks for taking the time,” says Ronan Farrow when we meet at a central London hotel. Farrow is the journalist whose exposé of Harvey Weinstein helped kickstart the #MeToo movement. Just 30 years old, he looks, up close, about 13. But he has packed into his three decades more adventures and achievements than most of us could manage in two lifetimes. Of course he had a head start. He was the only biological child of two extremely famous people: Woody Allen, arguably America’s most celebrated living film-maker, and Mia Farrow, herself a child of Hollywood royalty, star of many films and ex-wife of Frank Sinatra. Ronan was originally named Satchel but, after some rather dramatic events in his life, he understandably decided that it wasn’t really his bag.

By the time that he was five, Ronan had witnessed his parents’ epically bitter break-up, his father’s new relationship with his 22-year-old sister (Farrow’s adopted daughter) Soon-Yi (the cause of the vicious split), and the allegations that his father had sexually abused his seven-year-old adopted sister Dylan Farrow. A court case and custody battle ensued in the relentless glare of the world’s media.

These were, to say the least, formative experiences, but there were plenty more to come in Ronan’s childhood. First off, his mother adopted five more children after the split with Allen, bringing her brood to 14, some of them disabled or suffering from serious illness. One, named Tam, died of heart failure when Ronan was seven.

By the time he was 11 the young Farrow was at university studying for a degree, a double major in philosophy and biology. At 16 he was enrolled at the prestigious Yale law school. In the meantime he’d been travelling with his mother to places like Sudan, Liberia and Angola on humanitarian missions. And it was in Sudan that he picked up a rare bone disease that left him in a wheelchair for several years.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

How can I stay sane with Trump and other fascists in office?

Slate is carrying a fine article by Dahlia Lithwick, How to Survive Trump’s Presidency Without Losing Your Mind. It would be far better for you to read it than for me to try to summarize it. It includes a sobering parable from Rabbi Nachman of Bratslav.

I see marks on the forehead of almost everybody on TFB — but they are all still sane. Stay sane. Be angry.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 14, 2018 6:42 pm

In this morning's Houston Chronicle-

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 908214.php
While many tout automation as a cure-all for the economy, this transformation will only hurt laborers, according to a new analysis by Barclay’s investment bank. By creating machines that eliminate rote tasks, they make some jobs easier to do, thereby expanding the number of people who can fill them and therefore drive down wages.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 912602.php
The White House opposed the change and was expected to sue California to bring them in line with federal standard. But that would have set up a long legal fight, leaving car manufacturers in limbo awaiting a ruling from the courts.

Trump's potential turnaround followed a meeting at the White House Friday with the CEOs of General Motors, Ford and Fiat Chrysler, as well as senior executives from other auto manufacturers.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 907114.php

Oil companies clash with Trump over NAFTA changes
After more than a year of fawning praise for everything from tax cuts to the opening up of offshore drilling, oil and gas lobbyists are in open combat with the White House over the administration’s push to recast the North American Free Trade Agreement and commerce at-large from the globalist, free-trade model that has long benefited oil companies in Houston and around the globe.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

"simple, easy-to-understand, wrong answers"

but one instance: http://www.johnehrenfeld.com/2015/12/fo ... -ther.html

ETA:
Complexity does not give way to force

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 am

for something good:

I had the best nights sleep in a very long time last night. New bed (off the air mattress), Tweedles gone, it's quiet, and the cat smell in the small bedroom has dissipated this morning.

Now I just need to get a new desk for my office, and I'm all set. :)

Life is looking good.

*looks around for an anvil or piano to fall on my head*

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Slate is carrying a fine article by Dahlia Lithwick, How to Survive Trump’s Presidency Without Losing Your Mind. It would be far better for you to read it than for me to try to summarize it. It includes a sobering parable from Rabbi Nachman of Bratslav.

I see marks on the forehead of almost everybody on TFB — but they are all still sane. Stay sane. Be angry.
This has come up at our house a couple of times in the last week or so -- both the staying sane and not losing the anger. Anger fatigue is a real problem.

We take breaks when we need to. There are millions fighting in small ways, and many fighting in big ways. It's better to take a break now and then than to burn out entirely.

(Which may be in the article, hah. I will read it later, I promise :) )

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am

Jez wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 am
for something good:

I had the best nights sleep in a very long time last night. New bed (off the air mattress), Tweedles gone, it's quiet, and the cat smell in the small bedroom has dissipated this morning.

Now I just need to get a new desk for my office, and I'm all set. :)

Life is looking good.

*looks around for an anvil or piano to fall on my head*
:cheer1: :cheer: I'm so glad that your living conditions have improved. Sounds like it has more than improved, sounds like it's become really great! There is almost nothing more important than having a comforting and satisfying place to call home. That should be at least the one place that not only doesn't provide stress, but actually helps to take the stress away. Yay for Jez!!! A stress free home environment at last. You have earned it.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

listeme wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

This has come up at our house a couple of times in the last week or so -- both the staying sane and not losing the anger. Anger fatigue is a real problem.

We take breaks when we need to. There are millions fighting in small ways, and many fighting in big ways. It's better to take a break now and then than to burn out entirely.

(Which may be in the article, hah. I will read it later, I promise :) )
I took a break last week and spent time with my conservative twin in north central Arkansas. We had a great time hiking, kayaking and yakking. Being outdoors helps a lot!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue May 15, 2018 12:44 pm

"There is almost nothing more important than having a comforting and satisfying place to call home. That should be at least the one place that not only doesn't provide stress, but actually helps to take the stress away. Yay for Jez!!! A stress free home environment at last. You have earned it."

Tell me about it. My house is almost ready for habitation. I am so tired of hotels and miss Cisco so much. And I really like sleeping, which is better done at home.

Wallpaper stripped from all walls. Walls and ceilings newly painted. New flooring throughout house (original terra cotta floor discovered in !living room and dining room). New vanities to be installed everywhere, along with new toilets. Got to buy new furniture.

My son encourages me that I shall have a virtually new house. True, but it attacked me with C. diff. I would prefer the old house, clean.

I strongly encourage everyone to avoid backups from septic tanks. Even if Allstate pays.

Houses and many buildings erected 1983-2016 in this region usually used foundation concrete in which material from a Willimantic quarry was incorporated. That material incorporated a mineral that is now leading to foundation cracks in perhaps 35000 structures. A few people have had new foundations poured, usually on a different lot. A few have abandoned their houses and their mortgages. Most are waiting to see what the states can do. The quarry is closed.

My house was built in 1981. It may be too valuable. Folks have got to live somewhere!

Of course, when I moved here i seriously looked at 18th century houses. No concrete to worry about in any of them. Just piles of stones.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “The Lounge”