"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by AndyinPA » Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 pm
All moved in. Looking at 255 threads to catch up on. Fingers wavering over the “mark all as read” link...
Congrats! I'm back and trying to catch up, too. It may take a while.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am

Welcome back!

I just got a call from the recruiter. The company I had a phone interview with yesterday afternoon wants a sit down interview. I thought that would happen based on how the conversation went yesterday. I'm having a harder time with it than I thought. Jobs seem plentiful now and I thought it might be nice to take some time off. But I just don't really feel secure enough to blow this off. It seems like a perfect fit, except for the timing. I'm way too practical so I probably will go right from one to another.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am
Welcome back!

I just got a call from the recruiter. The company I had a phone interview with yesterday afternoon wants a sit down interview. I thought that would happen based on how the conversation went yesterday. I'm having a harder time with it than I thought. Jobs seem plentiful now and I thought it might be nice to take some time off. But I just don't really feel secure enough to blow this off. It seems like a perfect fit, except for the timing. I'm way too practical so I probably will go right from one to another.
Good luck!

vic

Post by vic » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am
Yesterday, a white pickup came blowing up behind me as we approached the end of a freeway. Apparently angry that I was slowing down for a stop sign, he stuck his head out af the truck to yell at me and then his hat blew off.

Since his hat was more important than his anger at me, he pulled off to try and retrieve it.
Please let it be a MAGA hat!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am
Welcome back!

I know you were talking about taking a month off before starting a new job. Maybe you can at least take a week or 10 days off if you do get a job offer. These spring days are sure beautiful and it's a shame to waste any of them.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

listeme

Post by listeme » Fri May 11, 2018 1:27 pm

From the school violence off-topic conversation, re autism, mental illness:

I mean, ASD is considered a neurodevelopmental disorder, which is often (usually? always?) classified under mental illness. It certainly is at places like Mayo Clinic online. Neurodevelopmental disorders are under a big umbrella -- but they're at the top on that site.
Classes of mental illness
The main classes of mental illness are:

Neurodevelopmental disorders. This class covers a wide range of problems that usually begin in infancy or childhood, often before the child begins grade school. Examples include autism spectrum disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and learning disorders.
I don't love the headline, but had the headline writer fact-checked, they might have found that Mayo Clinic list at the top of their search box like I did. Or a host of other reputable sites.

- signed, a person with Asperger's in my family, and other disorders such as bipolar and schizophrenia, and the owner of a bona fide mental illness myself, generalized anxiety disorder. These conversations sometimes can make me feel like "well, yes, we understand about Don't Stigmatize Mental Illness, and we sympathize and you're right, mental illness is no big, but we certainly aren't mentally ill! Don't call us mentally ill!"

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 pm

It’s a category issue.

A guy who grew three pot plants and one who is a serial rapist and killer are both “criminals” technically.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:40 pm

:lovestruck: :kiss:
Thanks, listeme.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri May 11, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks, listeme.

I think we may be saying the same thing, with the exception of whether autism spectrum disorders ought to be grouped under the jargon term "mental illness.". ASD is a neurological development condition. At one time, when parents were blamed for causing autism by poor parenting, it was treated as a mental illness. It is certainly true that many people with ASD develop disorders such as depression.

The term "mental illness" is unhelpful IMHO. Moveover, it is often hurtful. I had the privilege of working on Honors projects with several students who were diagnosed as having Aspergers. They were intellectually and personally challenging. I did not think of them as ill in any way. They were simply different. Professionals say "not neurotypical.".

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 pm

I accepted the job offer. I'm kind of freaking out because I have work for the other company that I feel obligated to finish and I really wanted to take some time off. But this is just too good of a fit and I'm so impressed with the company. They have rooms for new mothers to breastfeed, rooms for if you need some quiet time, flexible hours within reasonable parameters, the word "fun" appears in their company motto. On top of all that it's a nice (actually substantial) pay jump, full benefits, and...the word "bonus" was never mentioned any time during the initial stages (which flew by in a whirlwind) but showed up with the offer. :thumbs:

I had asked the recruiter to give me a couple days notice for the in person interview. He forgot to do that. He called me yesterday morning and said "today is the day at 1:30. It will be a two hour interview". I poked a hole in my only pair of pantyhose. First stop bought a pair and I poked a damn hole in that pair. Stopped at a shoe store - the only one that doesn't sell pantyhose. Found a Target. Bought the last pair in my size, supposed to be two in the box, which had been opened. Paid for them, went into the restroom to put them on and only one pair in the box. I did NOT poke a hole in that pair. :thumbs: Barely made it to the interview on time. But it went uphill from there, except for a slight stumble and almost panic on one question from the second group of people (I interviewed with four different groups of people). But, I was able to recover from that stumble fairly well. After all was said and done of course the only thing on my mind was the stumble, so spent all the rest of the day and night beating myself up over it. Then, the recruiter called first thing this morning and said the company had an offer for me.

AAACK!!! Did I mention I'm kind of freaking out?

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

vic

Post by vic » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:07 pm
I accepted the job offer. I'm kind of freaking out because I have work for the other company that I feel obligated to finish and I really wanted to take some time off. But this is just too good of a fit and I'm so impressed with the company. They have rooms for new mothers to breastfeed, rooms for if you need some quiet time, flexible hours within reasonable parameters, the word "fun" appears in their company motto. On top of all that it's a nice (actually substantial) pay jump, full benefits, and...the word "bonus" was never mentioned any time during the initial stages (which flew by in a whirlwind) but showed up with the offer. :thumbs:

I had asked the recruiter to give me a couple days notice for the in person interview. He forgot to do that. He called me yesterday morning and said "today is the day at 1:30. It will be a two hour interview". I poked a hole in my only pair of pantyhose. First stop bought a pair and I poked a damn hole in that pair. Stopped at a shoe store - the only one that doesn't sell pantyhose. Found a Target. Bought the last pair in my size, supposed to be two in the box, which had been opened. Paid for them, went into the restroom to put them on and only one pair in the box. I did NOT poke a hole in that pair. :thumbs: Barely made it to the interview on time. But it went uphill from there, except for a slight stumble and almost panic on one question from the second group of people (I interviewed with four different groups of people). But, I was able to recover from that stumble fairly well. After all was said and done of course the only thing on my mind was the stumble, so spent all the rest of the day and night beating myself up over it. Then, the recruiter called first thing this morning and said the company had an offer for me.

:happyfamily:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Fri May 11, 2018 4:41 pm

RVInit wrote:

:clap: Congrats!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm

:bunny: :happydance: :happydance: :cheer: :winner:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 pm

RVInit wrote:

:thumbs:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

"Caller tells police student has a 'bong,' but they hear 'bomb'"
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... olice.html

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure those guys aren't celebrating you freaking out... :?

Glass 3/4 full, RV! Congrats!

I really hate those kinda days when you're late, you stub your toe and you're hopping around on the other foot in agony, and then you land on your kids legos and now you can't even walk and you're even later. But you still got the job!!

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 pm

RV - :thumbs: What industry is this in? The job sounds so good maybe they will interview and hire a :geezer: ?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri May 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Congrats, RVinit! :clap:

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Fri May 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Congratulations, RVint on the new job!

June bug

Post by June bug » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Congratulations, RV - the job sounds great! :thumbs: :dance: :bighug: :rockon:
Like :sterngard: I'd love to know more about the company and the job if you feel like sharing.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri May 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Thank you so much everyone for all your kind words and the congratulations! Sadly, the job is not in the field where all my education and my absolute undying passion resides. But I am single and have had to make choices that allowed me to avoid being destitute and I did have a very long and satisfying "run" in that field and even accomplished some important things like driving the set-aside of thousands of acres of environmentally sensitive and culturally important land in a way where the funding is all but guaranteed for life.

Many many years ago I believed that I needed software and the ability to develop some data sets to really do my job well and efficiently. It proved to be impossible as a biologist to get any agency to provide even a small amount of a programmer's time. So, I managed to get a grant, my own server, some development tools and on my time off I learned how to program, including some fairly impressive SQL skills. Actually, I had taken some programming courses in college, so I already knew I had some ability for that type of thing. I found that I actually have a real knack for it and have become an actual bonafide pretty darned skilled programmer over the years. So that has become a secondary career. I never would have guessed that this was ever going to become something that became such an important part of my ability to make a living. Luckily, I actually do enjoy it, so that softens the blow of changing careers.

What is more amazing is the recruiter told me that the company didn't even want to interview two other people whose resumes he had submitted to them. They apparently saw some things on mine that clicked with them. The phone interview was amazing. I really had some doubts about the in person interview, but apparently I was being way too hard on myself, which is not unusual. Anyway, I have actually had a very hard time when someone asks me what I "do" because I really guess I will always consider myself to be a biologist. And also in the back of my mind kept thinking maybe there is a possibility of me getting back to doing something in my beloved field that is truly meaningful again. But, I really do think I have no right to complain. Somehow things worked out to allow me to develop a skill that is very much in demand and even though it wasn't my first career, somehow I have managed to do enough fairly high level work in the past few years to develop the skills this company believes is going to fit them very well. I will say I'm somewhat intimidated, but I think they sufficiently delved into what my skill set actually is and I'm sure if they thought it would be over my head they wouldn't have made the offer. It was definitely the most difficult interview I've been subjected to.

The company seems amazing and really geared toward providing a great atmosphere and lots of perks. Two workout rooms, showers, flexible hours, rooms for new moms to spend time with their newborn, quiet rooms where you can go if you get stressed and need to get away from your desk and clear your head, etc. I'm not sure how much I should reveal in the open forum but I will be happy to send anyone a PM with more details. They have a number of job openings primarily because of a big expansion and moving a large portion of their operations to the city about 1/2 hour north of where I live. Some of the people who worked in one of the other offices in South Florida opted not to move because of things like having a spouse that was the primary bread winner and not wanting him/her to have to find a different job. On the other hand, I interviewed with nine different people, all of whom have been with the company for many years. The company also likes to promote from within first, which I think is great.

I will send anyone who is interested the information if you want to take a gander at their career page. I know they are looking for a skilled Report Writer. I bet Jez has skills this company would appreciate too. And yes, I'm certain they would jump at the chance for :sterngard: to come on board. But keep in mind...this is Florida. Sorry! :lol:
Edit: I wasn't thinking. This company has operations all over the country. I will PM anyone the career page if you want, just let me know.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm

:dance: RV - Such great news. And best of all, NOT FAKE! :dance: :banana: :banana: :dance:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Fri May 11, 2018 11:08 pm

RVInit wrote:

Someone needs to option the whole thing for a movie. :clap:

Congratulations and best of luck.

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 am

:o

Texas town elects first Muslim councilman, defeating Tea Party candidate

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 0headlines
Thousands of voters in the small town outside Dallas turned out to support Salman Bhojani, a Pakistani immigrant attacked on the campaign trail due to his faith.

"I am proud to have participated in a race that saw the highest voter turnout in a Euless city election in twenty-five years," wrote Bhojani on his campaign site. "I am also proud to have run a positive, issues-focused campaign that rose above the negativity others sought to inject into the race."

:snippity:

Bhojani's victory is no doubt a sour note for Jonathan Stickland, a Texas House Representatives and member of the Freedom Caucus who donated $15,000 to Bhojani's opponent, according to the Star-Telegram.

:snippity:

"He is a Muslim, lawyer, and a lifelong Democrat who supports raising your taxes," Stickland wrote, urging voters to watch a video of how "the Koran was read for the first time at a city council meeting thanks to Mr. Bhojani."
I doubt he is a lifelong Democrat because he is an immigrant.

Euless is a city of 55,000 near Dallas.

So the three reasons not to vote for Mr. Bhojani were that he was a Muslim, a Democrat and a (gasp) lawyer. :lol:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Lounge”