Hijack this thread

Sluffy1

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sluffy1 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:06 pm
How soon will DOTUS claim this is just Fake News? :waiting:
But it's old news. Happened last September.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sun May 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:12 pm
Sunrise wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 10:06 pm
How soon will DOTUS claim this is just Fake News? :waiting:
But it's old news. Happened last September.
Yeah, sorry about that.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sun May 06, 2018 11:03 pm

:oops: I'z sorry too. Guess he just decided to ignore it, which was probably the best choice since the story seems to have been totally forgotten.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon May 07, 2018 5:58 am

She looks like a younger Cindy Currier. :lol:

Hopefully, this will blossom into a snowball.
WWG1WGA

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 am

One space between each sentence, they said. Science just proved them wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... ost&wpmm=1

Heh.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 am

Heh.
r i dic u lous

vic

Post by vic » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 am

Bill_G wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am
RoadScholar wrote:

Heh.
r i dic u lous
An experiment which didn't even get the question right. One- vs. two-spaces is about input; they were testing displayed text.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 am

Look out, Foggy, you may have to come up with a different verb to describe yourself. (Also of interest re: the bundy thread).

Cocky Writer: Romance Author Faleena Hopkins Trademarks 'Cocky' and Tries to Shut Down Others Using the Word
...Faleena Hopkins seems to be the writer most determined to cash in on the word with her series, titled ‘Cocker Brothers of Atlanta’. With 17 books in the series, Hopkins seems eager to define her work as a brand that can be trademarked. This is nothing special - authors and publishers do it all the time to protect their assets - but Hopkins made the unusual decision not to simply copyright the name of her series, but the word ‘cocky’ itself. And now, she seems to be going after other romance authors who use the word ‘cocky’ in their titles.

Hopkins’s trademark for ‘cocky’, as shown on the US Patent Office database, is for a word mark. She has a specific logo for ‘cocky’ - letters in a distinct stylised form that she can use on covers - and that was registered on May 1st of this year. That’s something you can protect as a brand. If authors want to try and replicate that exact typeface with the word ‘cocky’ in their title, she’d have a case.

But that’s not what she’s been doing. According to multiple sources, Hopkins has been sending copyright notices to authors who have romance novels with the word ‘cocky’ in the title. One author who received such a notice was Nana Malone, author of the book Mr. Cocky...
Adding to the misuse of trademark, she trademarked not just the word, but also the word using a particular font - which happens to be a violation of the TOS from the font maker.

Unfortunately, authors and font creators don't tend to be wealthy enough to fight these kinds of actions, and they are now looking for an IP attorney willing to work with them on this case.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon May 07, 2018 11:37 am

vic wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 am
Bill_G wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 am
RoadScholar wrote:

Heh.
r i dic u lous
An experiment which didn't even get the question right. One- vs. two-spaces is about input; they were testing displayed text.
The methodology was fundamentally flawed.

listeme

Post by listeme » Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 am

2spaces4life

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I had a phone interview today. I was contacted by a recruiter, but I wasn't really ready to start thinking about my next gig yet, but I went ahead and updated my resume for him and sent it to him, he had found an old one online. I'm close to finishing up some work I'm doing for a client, but not close enough to start thinking about what is next. But this opportunity sounds pretty good and it's a good fit as far as what they are looking for. I was kind of hoping to take a month or so off before taking on my next project. They have been looking for several months and the recruiter says he had sent them two other candidates' resumes but they weren't interested in interviewing either of them. The interview went very well and they seem open to waiting until I'm ready.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 07, 2018 3:55 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:48 pm
I had a phone interview today. I was contacted by a recruiter, but I wasn't really ready to start thinking about my next gig yet, but I went ahead and updated my resume for him and sent it to him, he had found an old one online. I'm close to finishing up some work I'm doing for a client, but not close enough to start thinking about what is next. But this opportunity sounds pretty good and it's a good fit as far as what they are looking for. I was kind of hoping to take a month or so off before taking on my next project. They have been looking for several months and the recruiter says he had sent them two other candidates' resumes but they weren't interested in interviewing either of them. The interview went very well and they seem open to waiting until I'm ready.
Congrats. Make hay while you can.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 07, 2018 5:03 pm

Last week our soon to be new son-in-law conducted a workshop for landscape architects at the Texas Trails and Active Transportation Conference in Austin. :)

I didn't know there was such a thing. Guess those trails and bike paths don't just happen. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon May 07, 2018 7:27 pm

The world is yours if you can detect and follow the natural fissures in time and space.

X3

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:03 pm
Last week our soon to be new son-in-law conducted a workshop for landscape architects at the Texas Trails and Active Transportation Conference in Austin. :)

I didn't know there was such a thing. Guess those trails and bike paths don't just happen. ;)
:thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 pm

If it weren’t *Jane Mayer* and Ronin Farrow, I’d feel comfortable calling bullshit or calling political hit job by Black Cube, the Israeli intelligence service Drumpf hired to dig dirt on Obama’s Iranian negotiators. Goddammit it.
Eric Schneiderman, New York’s attorney general, has long been a liberal Democratic champion of women’s rights, and recently he has become an outspoken figure in the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment. As New York State’s highest-ranking law-enforcement officer, Schneiderman, who is sixty-three, has used his authority to take legal action against the disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein, and to demand greater compensation for the victims of Weinstein’s alleged sexual crimes. Last month, when the Times and this magazine were awarded a joint Pulitzer Prize for coverage of sexual harassment, Schneiderman issued a congratulatory tweet, praising “the brave women and men who spoke up about the sexual harassment they had endured at the hands of powerful men.” Without these women, he noted, “there would not be the critical national reckoning under way.”

Now Schneiderman is facing a reckoning of his own. As his prominence as a voice against sexual misconduct has risen, so, too, has the distress of four women with whom he has had romantic relationships or encounters. They accuse Schneiderman of having subjected them to nonconsensual physical violence. All have been reluctant to speak out, fearing reprisal. But two of the women, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam, have talked to The New Yorker on the record, because they feel that doing so could protect other women. They allege that he repeatedly hit them, often after drinking, frequently in bed and never with their consent. Manning Barish and Selvaratnam categorize the abuse he inflicted on them as “assault.” They did not report their allegations to the police at the time, but both say that they eventually sought medical attention after having been slapped hard across the ear and face, and also choked. Selvaratnam says that Schneiderman warned her he could have her followed and her phones tapped, and both say that he threatened to kill them if they broke up with him. (Schneiderman’s spokesperson said that he “never made any of these threats.”)
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ical-abuse

It does sound like oppo research, like maybe from an intelligence service :madguy: blown up for maximum effect. It sounds as if rough sex is his thing.

This political world we’re in now is not normal. I’ll have no trouble believing it’s a hit job. Goddammit. This makes me feel icky, stupid and birtherish.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon May 07, 2018 10:42 pm

I’m NOT going to Kansas City
DBA9F7B8-875F-4539-8EA6-6B38ADE0AE61.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon May 07, 2018 10:44 pm

... proving once again everyone needs an editor ...

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Maybe Governor Greitens wrote it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 pm

All moved in. Looking at 255 threads to catch up on. Fingers wavering over the “mark all as read” link...

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am

Yesterday, a white pickup came blowing up behind me as we approached the end of a freeway. Apparently angry that I was slowing down for a stop sign, he stuck his head out af the truck to yell at me and then his hat blew off.

Since his hat was more important than his anger at me, he pulled off to try and retrieve it.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 am

Heh. "Instant karma's gonna getcha."

X3

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 08, 2018 9:12 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:18 pm
All moved in. Looking at 255 threads to catch up on. Fingers wavering over the “mark all as read” link...
Glad you made it!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

tek

Post by tek » Tue May 08, 2018 9:13 am

Northland10 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 am
Yesterday, a white pickup came blowing up behind me as we approached the end of a freeway. Apparently angry that I was slowing down for a stop sign, he stuck his head out af the truck to yell at me and then his hat blew off.

Since his hat was more important than his anger at me, he pulled off to try and retrieve it.
needs moar "and tripped and fell down into a drainage ditch"

And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Tue May 08, 2018 9:33 am

Needs Moore?

Return to “The Lounge”