Hijack this thread

Foggy

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy »

The link to your post is http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90#p968390. The difference is that several thousand posts have been deleted for one reason or another. So which one is most valid? :think:
In other news, scientists have discovered that water is wet. Film at 11.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 am
Browsing through the Board Index looking for a long lost topic, I caught a glimpse of the stats for today on TFB. As of a few moments ago, 964,803 comments had been posted since TFB's glorious birth. Is there a grand prize for whoever makes the millionth comment? Or a donut?
A rough calculation would suggest that the sound barrier will be broken in mid-summer. I suggest a very special edition of a 4th July fireworks display for the lucky winner :dance:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:37 am
NMgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 am
Browsing through the Board Index looking for a long lost topic, I caught a glimpse of the stats for today on TFB. As of a few moments ago, 964,803 comments had been posted since TFB's glorious birth. Is there a grand prize for whoever makes the millionth comment? Or a donut?
A rough calculation would suggest that the sound barrier will be broken in mid-summer. I suggest a very special edition of a 4th July fireworks display for the lucky winner :dance:
I suggest a one way trip to meet Foggy and stay at his palatial home!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News

@NBCNews

BREAKING: Multiple people injured as pedestrian bridge collapses near Florida International Univ. in south Florida, @nbc6 reports.
http://
bit.ly/2FXpaMU

1:10 PM - Mar 15, 2018
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

Further to Volki's post, the bridge was under construction, expected to be completed in 2019.

But:
ABC News: FIU bridge collapse: Several killed after pedestrian bridge at Florida college collapses ...

According to an FIU press release, the 174-foot, 950-ton bridge was just installed "in a few hours" using "accelerated bridge construction" methods, which the university said "reduces potential risks to workers, commuters, and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions."
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

This is so awful! My son goes to professional school in Miami, so the first news flash stopped my heart a bit (plus he is in Texas right now). It appears all of those cars that got crushed on the one side were sitting ducks at a red light. Lots of lawsuits to follow. :crying:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm
https:// twitter.com/NBCNews/status/974347031954247686

NBC News @NBCNews

BREAKING: Multiple people injured as pedestrian bridge collapses near Florida International Univ. in south Florida, @nbc6 reports.
http://bit.ly/2FXpaMU

1:10 PM - Mar 15, 2018
Pun likely not intended... :(

tek

Post by tek »

So a good friend of ms.tek, who works for the USDOT, has long said

"any day that I walk in to work and find Trump’s picture on the wall of the lobby I would retire"

Turns out that she had decided to retire anyway, but today:

"Well I walked into work today for my farewell party and guess what?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

kate520

Post by kate520 »

The companies with the contract to build the bridge have, unfreakingbelievably, had his happen before. Does Trump own portions of any cement or construction companies now?
The FIU project isn't the first major bridge built by Figg to collapse in recent years. A Figg-assembled span in Virginia fell apart in June 2012 while under construction. Workers were installing a 90-ton concrete portion of the South Norfolk Jordan Bridge when it dropped 40 feet onto railroad tracks below, according to the Virginian-Pilot.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fiu-b ... s-10176596
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

tek wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

"any day that I walk in to work and find Trump’s picture on the wall of the lobby I would retire"

I saw Trump and Pence's pictures on the first floor of the Roybal Building this morning when I visited one of the magistrate judges for a settlement conference. Yuch. Also, I don't remember the VP having his picture hung when Nixon-Ford--Carter-Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama was POTUS.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

I can't find an appropriate thread to put this on, so will a mod please move it if there's a better place.

At dinner last night an interesting discussion about discrimination had a group of very liberal friends questioning our strongly held beliefs that businesses must not discriminate. We all agreed that the baker who refused to make a cake for the gay couple citing his religious beliefs was completely wrong. Then one man who makes metal sculptures asked whether he should be forced to make one of a swastika if a customer requested it. My immediate reaction was that this would be a different situation since the swastika is accepted as a symbol of hate. All agreed, but then the point was raised about the skinhead marches that are protected under our Constitution.

I decided that this was a question I needed to ask here on the Fogbow. So, what say you? Where, if at all, is the line drawn?
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 pm
tek wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:31 pm

I saw Trump and Pence's pictures on the first floor of the Roybal Building this morning when I visited one of the magistrate judges for a settlement conference. Yuch. Also, I don't remember the VP having his picture hung when Nixon-Ford--Carter-Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush-Obama was POTUS.
Things are different now Sterny.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Yabbut that's because Obama had melanin.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Hanging pictures of the lead thugs of the junta means something — perhaps that Trump fears Pence. If I were Trump I would find Pence’s constant vapid smile to be threatening.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

The FIU pedestrian bridge was not a project of the Florida Department of Transportation. It was a set of contracts between FIU and private companies. The engineers had that worrisome history of the prior collapse of a bridge they designed.

I doubt that FIU has the legal protections that the DOT has, particularly for something as distant from its mission as the construction of an actual bridge. Did FIU provide for adequate inspection of the cement, the concrete, the forms, the placement of the bridge on its supports, etc? Was there still work to be done on the supports of the bridge? Not being an engineer, I do not know the crucial questions to ask but am certain that they will be asked. Deaths tend to guarantee that.

But who will be sued? The private firms? The university? The State? Will it stop with civil suits? Gov. Scott is making noises about holding people accountable. Could that mean criminal action? Could the engineering faculty be held responsible if they instigated what clearly seems to have been an innovative (experimental?) design?

I dislike construction that puts people’s health and lives at risk, whether it be the cladding on a skyscraper or the supports for the long heavy span of a bridge. Does the Vanderbilt professor’s caution about the “quality” of new construction convey a terrible warning?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

GreatGrey wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:07 pm
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
Things are different now Sterny.

:like:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I will open a new thread on the collapse of the pedestrian bridge at FIU because I believe this may turn out to involve more than bad luck.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I heard Addie’s prayer. :kiss:

We were watching The Tunnel one night, season 1, and both burst out laughing when Elise, the French detective, munched on a French fry sandwich. Seriously, I had no idea it was a thing. It’s called a chip butty.
A chip butty is a sandwich made with chips (i.e., French fried potatoes) on buttered white bread or a bread roll, often with an added condiment such as ketchup, brown sauce, mayonnaise, or malt vinegar.[1][2][3][4][5] The chip butty can be found in fish and chip shops and other casual dining establishments in the United Kingdom. It is also less commonly known as a chip sandwich, chip batch, chip roll, chip muffin, piece and chips, chip piece, or chip sarnie.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_butty

Mmmm?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Tonight Netflix begins a documentary series of six segments about one of the strangest cults of modern America: Wild Wild Country. When the Bhagwan Shree Ragneesh arrived in Oregon to create his Utopia on thousands of acres of desert, few anticipated the wealth that wou!d be given to him or the political power that he would seek. Nobody expected him to acquire the world's largest fleet of Rolls Royce automobiles. Nobody expected the numbers of successful professionals who would give up everything to join the commune.

Most of the members had no plans to be part of the largest criminal conspiracy in Oregon's history. They certainly did not plan to be part of the first bioterrorism in U. S. history.

There is a very good sociological study of this man and his commune, Charisma and Control in Rajneeshpuram: A Community Without Shared Values by Lewis F Carter. Carter lived with the sannyasin (followers) and studied Baghwan Shree Rajneesh before the guru was deported and several of his leading followers arrested. Carter got full permission to do his observations and publish a book. The book won a high honor as a sociological study.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I worked for a company where one of the partners was a Rajneeshee. She'd populated the front office with many of her fellow cultists, all of whom had spent time at Rajneeshpuram. They were all vegans, they were all except one the most consistently ill people I've ever met. The one exception would break her veganism for a burger or a breakfast burrito every few weeks. They were arrogant, condescending and dishonest.

When she forced out the non-Rajneesh partner and his wife, I quit and followed them across the parking lot and worked for them for the next 18 years. Rajneesh and co. got bought out just ahead of bankruptcy a year or so after the split and ceased to exist about two years after that. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of nut-bars.
Image Image Image Image Image

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Sunrise wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:29 pm
I can't find an appropriate thread to put this on, so will a mod please move it if there's a better place.

At dinner last night an interesting discussion about discrimination had a group of very liberal friends questioning our strongly held beliefs that businesses must not discriminate. We all agreed that the baker who refused to make a cake for the gay couple citing his religious beliefs was completely wrong. Then one man who makes metal sculptures asked whether he should be forced to make one of a swastika if a customer requested it. My immediate reaction was that this would be a different situation since the swastika is accepted as a symbol of hate. All agreed, but then the point was raised about the skinhead marches that are protected under our Constitution.

I decided that this was a question I needed to ask here on the Fogbow. So, what say you? Where, if at all, is the line drawn?
To some number of people, the image of two men or two women in a marriage is a symbol of immorality.

A swastika is also a symbol of immorality.

Morality is in the eye of the beholder and becomes gradually manipulated along a spectrum of abhorrence & condemnation (being outlawed) to grudging acceptance to benign ignorance to defense, benevolent support then advocacy, then legalization and eventually promotion (the "new normal").

The process also works in reverse.
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Picked up our new minivan yesterday.

The Owner's Manual is 716 pages. There is a separate 76 page manual just for the touchscreen in the dashboard.

There is an Android Auto app which you download to your smartphone in order to sync it with the vehicle. The vehicle can then use your phone's GPS, messaging, phone and internet data connection. Google Play store has pages of apps for Android phones that are compatible with Android Auto and this van.

You can also connect to the cars media system via Bluetooth or by mirroring (the way some smartphones can display their screen content ands sound on a compatible TV).

There are 5 cameras facing front, rear, left, right and down onto the top of the roof of the vehicle.

The 2 video entertainment systems on the backs of the front seats that can be viewed from the 2nd and 3rd row seats have inputs for USB, HDMI and MicroSD. There is also a Blueray and DVD player. There are two wireless headphones and two remote controls.

There are radar-like sensors that warn you if you are too close to other vehicles or if there is a vehicle in your blind spot.

The driver's seat position is coded to your key fob so if someone else has used it the seats and the mirrors reset themselves for you as soon as you remotely start the engine or open the door.

If your hands are full you can open the power liftgate and the side sliding doors by putting your foot under the door.

There are USB charging ports at every seat. There is a 150 watt 115 volt electric outlet for a laptop or a light.

The sound system has 13 speakers and a 500 watt amplifier.

I spent hours this afternoon connecting our phones to the van's media systems. Had a lot of trouble pairing the remote controls to the system until I took the protective film off of the screens.

The vehicle monitors the tire pressures and just about everything else.

The engine shuts down when stopped at traffic lights to save gas.

I must admit being a bit intimidated by this van. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Sounds like an engineer's dream, V. :towel:
In other news, scientists have discovered that water is wet. Film at 11.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Out of curiosity, Mr. V, who's going to be watching those DVD's while you and Mrs. V. are in the front seat?

Seriously, though, congrats on the car -- new cars are fun!

We bought a Honda Ridgeline a few months ago. I still don't know how to use half the stuff. But I love, love, love the adaptive cruise control -- you tell hit how many car lengths distance you want to maintain, and it will slow down and speed up to maintain that distance.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Return to “The Lounge”