Hijack this thread

Lani

Re: Hijack this thread

Post #21126 by Lani » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:33 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Washington Post subscription

i just reached my limit of free articles, and WaPo offered their subscription of two months at $1and $4 per month after.

But neatly next to this: an offer of $20/year for the digital edition on any number of devices!

At this I decided to join them with a small supportive amount on keeping track of the current US administration.

I've searched for that $20/year deal, but can't find it. I find links to 20/yr, but they take me to $8 for 8 weeks, followed $4 for 4 weeks, which totals $52/yr. :confused:

Gotta link for your deal?

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RTH10260

Post #21127 by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:30 am

Lani wrote:
RTH10260 wrote:Washington Post subscription

i just reached my limit of free articles, and WaPo offered their subscription of two months at $1and $4 per month after.

But neatly next to this: an offer of $20/year for the digital edition on any number of devices!

At this I decided to join them with a small supportive amount on keeping track of the current US administration.

I've searched for that $20/year deal, but can't find it. I find links to 20/yr, but they take me to $8 for 8 weeks, followed $4 for 4 weeks, which totals $52/yr. :confused:

Gotta link for your deal?

Did locate the link in the browsing history, and I see this offer was for "our international readers".

Try this link though they likely will be checking the ip address (TOR may be your friend for a cheat). Note they are asking for country when registering, so another lie during Trumps term ;)
https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/ac ... story.html

June bug

Post #21128 by June bug » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:18 am

Lani - if you're looking for access to WaPo and the Times, as well as the Star Advertiser plus some international papers too - I just heard you can get it with your Hawaii State Library card. I haven't done it yet but you can sign up for it online I believe. Check with your local branch for more info.

HilltownGrrl

Post #21129 by HilltownGrrl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 am

Is there a link to the $20/year subscription to WaPo? I've been nerving myself up to pay $99/year because supporting them, & all other newspapers & media doing hard work on our behalf is so important (I'm also planning to support The Guardian), but money is very tight, so if there's a cheaper option, I'm willing to consider it!

pipistrelle

Post #21130 by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am

If anyone has Amazon Prime, you get 6 months as part of it but you have to opt in. That's what I'm doing for now.

Does Bezos have it in for Trump or is he letting WaPo do its job without interfering?

RTH10260

Post #21131 by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:Is there a link to the $20/year subscription to WaPo? I've been nerving myself up to pay $99/year because supporting them, & all other newspapers & media doing hard work on our behalf is so important (I'm also planning to support The Guardian), but money is very tight, so if there's a cheaper option, I'm willing to consider it!

some cheating required
viewtopic.php?p=894994#p894950

TollandRCR

Post #21132 by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:03 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:Is there a link to the $20/year subscription to WaPo? I've been nerving myself up to pay $99/year because supporting them, & all other newspapers & media doing hard work on our behalf is so important (I'm also planning to support The Guardian), but money is very tight, so if there's a cheaper option, I'm willing to consider it!

I think that for some the route to go is with an Amazon Prime account. At an eventual $3.99 a month for a digital WaPo subscription, the annual total will be $47.88. However, this makes sense only if Amazon Prime otherwise makes sense to you. It was originally a way to pay for second-day delivery in advance. Large users of Amazon probably saved a lot of shipping costs. Today it also offers e-books, music, and movies for Prime members at little or no cost. There is also an occasional Prime Shopping day with discounts on a wide variety of items. I usually don't need or want what they have on sale. And there can be specials for Prime members on any day.

I also urge signing up for a Amazon Smile account. There is a choice of charities to which Amazon will direct a small percentage (0.05%) of each purposepurchase. I chose the American Association of University Professors, whose AAUP Foundation has received $39.55 from me and $281.04 from all donors. The total given to all charities is $54,509,978.56. About one million 501(c)(3) charities have signed on. Amazon gets the tax credit.

Eligible Charitable Organizations
Organizations must be public charitable organizations that are registered and in good standing with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) to be eligible to participate. Eligible charitable organizations must also be located in one of the 50 U.S. states or the District of Columbia. Organizations that engage in, support, encourage, or promote intolerance, hate, terrorism, violence, money laundering, or other illegal activities are not eligible to participate. Amazon relies on the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control and the Southern Poverty Law Center to determine which organizations fall into these groups. Charitable organizations must also adhere to the AmazonSmile Participation Agreement to maintain eligibility. Charitable organizations may choose not to participate in AmazonSmile at any time. Although we aim to include only charitable organizations that are in good standing and do not engage in any of the activities described above, we cannot guarantee the good standing and/or conduct of any charitable organization.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

HilltownGrrl

Post #21133 by HilltownGrrl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks, RTH10260, I was ninjaed(sp) while typing & posting :oops: . Right after I posted, I realized it was likely a deal for international customers so thanks for both the link & for confirming it was. Even though 45 & the GOP don't consider Massachusetts part of Real 'Murica, I'm guessing I'm not actually an international customer. :lol: Le deep sigh.

And I'm too honest to try to fake my way into the $20 deal, which obviously makes me *very* un-American by current "standards" so I'm going to suck it up & subscribe for a year. I want newspapers to survive & I guess I have to put my money where my wants are!

HilltownGrrl

Post #21134 by HilltownGrrl » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks so much, TollandRCR, but I'm afraid I loathe Amazon & use them only as a very last resort for things I can't find anywhere else. I do have a Smile account, though (benefiting the SPCA), so when forced to shop there, at least I feel less bad about it!

TollandRCR

Post #21135 by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

As the "anchor stores" of large malls shutter many stores or flirt with bankruptcy, malls are suffering. CNN Malls are doomed: 25% will be gone in 5 years http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/02/news/economy/doomed-malls/index.html The successful shopping location in my area is a reversion to what I knew in the 1950s, where we could park right in front of the store. This may be the kind of retailer that both you and I would prefer. I do support the local hardware store even though its prices are higher than Home Depot.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

DejaMoo

Post #21136 by DejaMoo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 pm

TollandRCR wrote:As the "anchor stores" of large malls shutter many stores or flirt with bankruptcy, malls are suffering. CNN Malls are doomed: 25% will be gone in 5 years http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/02/news/economy/doomed-malls/index.html The successful shopping location in my area is a reversion to what I knew in the 1950s, where we could park right in front of the store. This may be the kind of retailer that both you and I would prefer. I do support the local hardware store even though its prices are higher than Home Depot.

Malls have been dying a slow death since the 1980s. Amazon hastened it to some degree, but the reality is, kids no longer hang out in malls, our population is aging, and older adults don't want to have to walk long distances to buy our few things. We prefer to shop at smaller stores (with smaller parking lots, too).

Like you, I support the small local independent retailers over the chains. I loathe the giant warehouse grocery stores that are all the rage in my area. I regularly drive miles out of my way to shop at the traditional 'right size' grocery stores and butcher shops. I don't need the lowest price, I prefer higher quality and less of a zoo-like atmosphere.

Fortinbras

Post #21137 by Fortinbras » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:13 pm

One of the industries suffering most from the closing of retail outlets are bookstores, including secondhand books. Yes, they still publish books and, yes, you can get them at a discount from Amazon, even some secondhand books but only the books you search for. In real bookstores you had the opportunity, the hope, of serendipity, of finding something you hadn't even known existed, of something you hadn't even known you wanted. This is no longer possible with shopping on-line. This also discourages publishers from accepting manuscripts that they think will not be searched for in great quantity, so a great many mute inglorious Miltons will remain unpublished and unavailable.

pipistrelle

Post #21138 by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Estiveo wrote:So Photobucket just informed me that my free account, from which I've been posting photos including things like Orly-Toons since 2009, will no longer allow me to embed my photos from their site to this one unless I pay them $400.00 a year for the privilege. So long, Photobucket.

More about this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoolla ... ch-a-mess/

RoadScholar

Post #21139 by RoadScholar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Fortinbras wrote:One of the industries suffering most from the closing of retail outlets are bookstores, including secondhand books. Yes, they still publish books and, yes, you can get them at a discount from Amazon, even some secondhand books but only the books you search for. In real bookstores you had the opportunity, the hope, of serendipity, of finding something you hadn't even known existed, of something you hadn't even known you wanted. This is no longer possible with shopping on-line. This also discourages publishers from accepting manuscripts that they think will not be searched for in great quantity, so a great many mute inglorious Miltons will remain unpublished and unavailable.

I have had that experience shopping on ABE. https://www.abebooks.com

I often search by keyword and sometimes turn up very surprising stuff.

Paradise Lost red.jpeg

Turned up in a search for Shakespeare books published by Tonson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

TollandRCR

Post #21140 by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Slate Big-Box Bookstores Don’t Have to Die http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2015/12/barnes_noble_is_dying_waterstones_in_the_u_k_is_thriving.html

And there is Hay-on-Wye, a Welsh village of bookstores and necessary accommodations. http://www.hay-on-wye.co.uk/ One might consider Fred's Yurts. One can eat at Three Tuns Pub.
https://www.three-tuns.com/

vic

Post #21141 by vic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm

Fortinbras wrote:One of the industries suffering most from the closing of retail outlets are bookstores, including secondhand books. Yes, they still publish books and, yes, you can get them at a discount from Amazon, even some secondhand books but only the books you search for. In real bookstores you had the opportunity, the hope, of serendipity, of finding something you hadn't even known existed, of something you hadn't even known you wanted. This is no longer possible with shopping on-line. This also discourages publishers from accepting manuscripts that they think will not be searched for in great quantity, so a great many mute inglorious Miltons will remain unpublished and unavailable.

Serendipity. Yes! I felt the same way about the newspaper. For decades, I'd scan the L A Times from cover to cover (well, except for the classified ads). I wouldn't read every article, but would at least read the headline and deck. You couldn't know what you might be interested in if you didn't know about it.

I worked for the L A Times for 18 years. Ten of them were in support of the editorial department, and I then moved over to latimes.com. And while I appreciated the instant access and being able to search for stories, I still read the physical paper for that same reason - discovering things that interested me but that I was unaware of.

Off Topic
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Kendra

Post #21142 by Kendra » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:43 pm

I do shop Amazon a lot, and more often than not their prices can't be beat by the local stores, especially the wet food Miss Fussy Tummy prefers. The Amazon case price is considerably less per can than the pet store, plus there's no chasing up the hill, parking, checking out, etc. The stuff comes to me, and using the Amazon Smile program a small percentage of my purchases go to the charity of my choice, which is a local no-kill cat shelter.

Volkonski

Post #21143 by Volkonski » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Mrs. V. is having hip surgery next Wednesday at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan. Yesterday we were in Manhattan for some doctor visits regarding this.

At lunchtime we ate at Pastrami Queen on Lexington Ave. Mrs. V. ordered a pastrami sandwich with mayonaise!! :shock: :swoon:

My pastrami sandwich with mustard was excellent. I washed it down with a Cel-Ray soda. :thumbs:

By the by, the pastrami sandwich there costs $18.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Post #21144 by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:18 pm

:nope:

vic

Post #21145 by vic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Was Mrs V's sandwich on Wonderbread?

Volkonski

Post #21146 by Volkonski » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 pm

vic wrote:Was Mrs V's sandwich on Wonderbread?

:lol:

No, they only serve it on rye. :thumbs:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #21147 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Volkonski wrote:
vic wrote:Was Mrs V's sandwich on Wonderbread?

:lol:

No, they only serve it on rye. :thumbs:

After her surgery will she order pastrami with mustard? Asking for a friend.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sugar Magnolia

Post #21148 by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:00 pm

For $18 it better be the size of a muffaletta, or use an entire loaf of rye.

I'm so disappointed. TFB spell check doesn't recognize the word muffaletta.

Volkonski

Post #21149 by Volkonski » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Watching fireflies. :-D

Clairez

Post #21150 by Clairez » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

So true! I love this post.
Some of my fondest memories were spent browsing in bookstores. I used to take the family and we would each get five or ten books depending on budget and there was nothing like wandering around and reading back covers and introductions, then bringing home of stack of books and putting them in the order you wanted to read them.

Now my closest bookstore is a Christian bookstore which doesn't interest me in the least and then a Barnes and Nobles about an hour away. So I mostly use Amazon but miss those free range days browsing the bookstores. :crying:

Return to “The Lounge”