Hijack this thread

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:As we all know I selected my avatar 8 years ago solely so that I could be rude to abd. Earlier this month.
What planning!
Either that or just a customary use of the TARDIS.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 am

One of our local craft breweries is looking for summer staff. :lol:
Do you...
1. Enjoy insanely high quality locally produced craft beer?
2. Find pleasure in standing for 2-4 hours at a time while pouring samples of said insanely high quality locally produced craft beer?
3. Get excited to show up 15-20 minutes early for a 2-4 hour demo where you would be pouring samples of craft beer?
4. Not like to text or use your phone for 2-4 hours at a time while pouring samples of locally produced craft beer?
5. Like to engage consumers at retail to educate them on the benefits of independent locally produced high quality craft beer?
6. Have free time on weekends where you would like to engage in all of the above activities?
7. Made it through 1-6 without closing this browser tab?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

vic

Post by vic » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:25 am

That intersection is about 100 feet from my house. We're a couple of miles from the nearest hills/open space, but the tract is bordered on two sides by flood channels that go into the hills and are used as a safe route for these critters:

From Nextdoor Chatsworth
There was a coyote with a broken leg running down my street today. Oakdale and Citronia St. Keep your pets and small kids safe. He went right up to a small dog that a man was walking. He was in bad shape but just wanted to give a heads up.
Gracie is an indoor cat. Shortly after I got her, the front door didn't quite close and she managed to sneak out for about an hour until something frightened her, and she hasn't really tried since. There have been a couple of times when I had opened the door and she stepped out before I could close it, but then both she and I realized she was outside, and she ran back in.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:As we all know I selected my avatar 8 years ago solely so that I could be rude to abd. Earlier this month.
What planning!
Either that or just a customary use of the TARDIS.
Like so. (The Doctor, Smith and Jones)

Did you set up the mistrial in Rossi v. Darden too? Also?
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:44 am

A literary refuge at 10,000 feet

http://enewspaper.latimes.com/infinity/ ... 6bf740270e
SOUTH PARK, Colo. — Jeff Lee and his wife, Ann Martin, have worked at the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver for years, quietly nursing a dream that seemed far beyond their reach.Avid lovers of books and nature, they conspired to marry the two in a vast library woven into the Western landscape — a literary refuge where patrons could spend the night among the books, attend lectures and maybe catch a trout.

The seemingly quixotic pursuit crossed the boundary into reality four years ago when they got hold of Buffalo Peaks Ranch in rural South Park, a lucky break that fueled their grand vision and inspired hundreds of others who shared it.

The nascent Rocky Mountain Land Library sits 10,000 feet above sea level in an emerald valley studded with snowy peaks 60 miles southwest of Denver. Majestic Reinecker Ridge runs behind the 1,500-acre ranch.

Elk and pronghorn antelope wander the hills. Low-slung badgers shuffle through the grass. Rustic buildings, including a bunkhouse, horse barn and a main house, dot the rolling landscape.Each will house hold a collection of books, with rooms dedicated to mining, railroads, ranching, the fur trade, natural history, Native Americans and literature.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:48 am

vic wrote:That intersection is about 100 feet from my house. We're a couple of miles from the nearest hills/open space, but the tract is bordered on two sides by flood channels that go into the hills and are used as a safe route for these critters:

From Nextdoor Chatsworth
There was a coyote with a broken leg running down my street today. Oakdale and Citronia St. Keep your pets and small kids safe. He went right up to a small dog that a man was walking. He was in bad shape but just wanted to give a heads up.
Gracie is an indoor cat. Shortly after I got her, the front door didn't quite close and she managed to sneak out for about an hour until something frightened her, and she hasn't really tried since. There have been a couple of times when I had opened the door and she stepped out before I could close it, but then both she and I realized she was outside, and she ran back in.
Old and injured coyotes are most dangerous to pets. They look for the easiest prey. For the record that was all I hunted. Healthy coyotes can easily outrun hounds in their native environment.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Time for the annual car spiff-up.. getting ready for the Chrysler Nationals in two weeks..

This has become a rite of summer for my neighbors, everybody stops by to chat..
2017jul03_IMGP1767a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:59 am

Foggy wrote::sharky;
Foggy, there may be a problem with making Shelly Island into a refuge for Donald.

The island has become a tourist attraction, perhaps because of its whale bones and ribs of old shipwrecks. But it is hard to get to and harder to get away from. This is one of North America's roughest waters. It is, after all, in the Grraveyard of the Atlantic. Lots of rescues already. And nobody knows how long it will last.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

The island is so new, it's not on Google Maps yet.

How it was formed:
Two powerful currents collided there -- the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean flowing quickly north, and the Labrador Current from the arctic pushing south.

The currents collide, churning surf and sand at Diamond Shoals, creating a cluster of shifting underwater sandbars off the coast of Cape Hatteras.

That might explain the water temperature on Sunset Beach. Sunday it was warm and wonderful, about 70°. Yesterday it dropped down to about 55°. Chilly! :shock:
♪ ♫ Why must I trod this lonely, lonely road?
Why must I carry this heavy, heavy load? ♫ ♪

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:17 am

Happy Fourth...or maybe not.

Gone on the 4th of July, and a theory was born
Some see deaths of three presidents as more than a coincidence

On July 4, 1831, James Monroe died from heart failure and tuberculosis at his daughter’s house in New York City. The fifth U.S. president had attempted to write an autobiography, but was unable to complete it as his health slowly deteriorated after his wife died the year before.
:snippity:

With his death came an eerie coincidence that many people couldn’t ignore: Monroe had become the third president and Founding Father to die on the Fourth of July.
Five years earlier, on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, longtime friends and occasional rivals Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died.

“Thomas Jefferson survives” were rumored to be among Adams’ last words from his deathbed in Quincy, Mass. He was unaware that his friend died that day, July 4, 1826, at his beloved Monticello estate more than 500 miles away in Virginia.

The irascible Adams also described why he insisted that Jefferson write the draft:

“Jefferson proposed to me to make the draught. I said I will not; you shall do it. Oh no! Why will you not? You ought to do it. I will not. Why? Reasons enough. What can be your reasons? Reason 1st. You are a Virginian, and Virginia ought to appear at the head of this business. Reason 2d. I am obnoxious, suspected and unpopular; you are very much otherwise. Reason 3d: You can write ten times better than I can. ‘Well,’ said Jefferson, ‘if you are decided I will do as well as I can.’ ”

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:24 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:Happy Fourth...or maybe not.

Gone on the 4th of July, and a theory was born
Some see deaths of three presidents as more than a coincidence

July 4 has not ended yet, there is still hope for a hysterical historical miracle! :twisted:

NADT

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 pm

tek wrote:Time for the annual car spiff-up.. getting ready for the Chrysler Nationals in two weeks..

This has become a rite of summer for my neighbors, everybody stops by to chat..

2017jul03_IMGP1767a.jpg
Hey!!! What are you doing with my car?

(For the record, I finally replaced the rusty Ford Pickup last fall. When I go back up north now, I no longer blend in and, instead, end up looking like a tourist/fudgy).
North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:55 pm

There may be a topic focused on the Declaration of Independence, but it is blamed hard to find if it exists. That is sort of odd.

Washington Post July 3, 2017 America Isn't a Normal Country by Michael Gerson https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
At moments of institutional conflict and uncertainty, Americans naturally turn to the Constitution. But at times of anger, division and national self-doubt, the best American leaders have helped us turn to a different document: the Declaration of Independence. That few seem to be doing so now — in our season of division and doubt — is another sign that we lack real leaders.
But, as Abraham Lincoln noted, the Declaration could have established national independence without its second paragraph about the human rights to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” “The assertion that ‘all men are created equal,’ ” Lincoln argued, “was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain.” As he saw it, the Founders, while constrained by the political realities of their time, set out a non-arbitrary, timeless truth “for future use.”
But Lincoln also saw the Declaration as the embodiment of a moral ideal. “It was not the mere matter of the separation of the colonies from the motherland; but something in that Declaration giving liberty, not alone to the people of this country, but hope to the world for all future time. It was that which gave promise that in due time the weights should be lifted from the shoulders of all men, and that all should have an equal chance.”emphasis mine

By definition, America can’t be a normal nation. It stands for more than getting and keeping. Its greatness is a greatness of spirit. And its failures — such as slavery, segregation and the shameful treatment of Native Americans — are not only legal but also spiritual failures. They are blasphemy against our country’s creed.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Caught part of the neighborhood parade today. Many ages, races, religions, etc., represented. And not one red MAGA hat in sight! For the win!

phelana

Post by phelana » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:05 am

pipistrelle wrote:Caught part of the neighborhood parade today. Many ages, races, religions, etc., represented. And not one red MAGA hat in sight! For the win!
The middle school band marched in two parades today. One was hosted by the LDS church, lots of bouncy houses, free food, etc. Saw a III shirt on a guy wearing camo pants. The other neighborhood is more of a blue neighborhood. Saw a Resist banner hanging above the garage. Both parades had skin of many colors and shapes.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:45 am

phelana wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:Caught part of the neighborhood parade today. Many ages, races, religions, etc., represented. And not one red MAGA hat in sight! For the win!
The middle school band marched in two parades today. One was hosted by the LDS church, lots of bouncy houses, free food, etc. Saw a III shirt on a guy wearing camo pants. The other neighborhood is more of a blue neighborhood. Saw a Resist banner hanging above the garage. Both parades had skin of many colors and shapes.
Most of my neighbors wouldn't have a clue as to what a III shirt is.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 am

Despite my town's new zero tolerance fireworks ordinance, it seems nobody paid attention, sounded like a war zone last night. Supposedly residents were supposed to report them via the non-emergency number, which I did after two hours of it. I was asked if it was fireworks related and was immediately dumped into some loop to supposedly leave a message that never allowed me to leave a message.

:madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Meanwhile, in the city just to the north and east of us, an improperly extinguished firework started one house on fire, and subsequently the house next door.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:50 am

http://www.algeriesoir.com/world/bikini ... -469-2017/
BIKINI, 1946, THE YEAR WAS INTRODUCED: DETAILS
Back then, women wore more modest two-piece bathing suits designed to expose only a small section of midriff. But Réard, a former automotive engineer whose family owned a lingerie shop, noticed that women on French Mediterranean beaches were rolling the material of their bathing suits away from their bellies to expose more skin. That gave him the idea for the bikini, named after the small atoll where the U.S. began testing nuclear bombs that same month.

Réard chose that name because he expected the world’s smallest bathing suit — comprised of only 30 inches of fabric — to create levels of shock similar to reactions to the atomic bomb, Smithsonian reported.

But to be successful, Réard’s invention needed to overcome conservative social mores that prevailed in that period. He tried to introduce the bikini for the first time at a fashion event at the Piscine Molitor Paris swimming pool, but no professional model was willing to wear it. Instead, Réard turned to a 19-year-old French stripper named Micheline Bernardini.

Even in the late 1950s, the bikini was not deemed acceptable for American women “with tact and decency,” according to a quote from Modern Girl magazine. But that changed in the 1960s, when the bikini became an integral part of American popular culture, featured in Brian Hyland’s “Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini” song and famously worn by actress Annette Funicello in the hit 1963 movie “Beach Party.”

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am

Kendra wrote:Despite my town's new zero tolerance fireworks ordinance, it seems nobody paid attention, sounded like a war zone last night. Supposedly residents were supposed to report them via the non-emergency number, which I did after two hours of it. I was asked if it was fireworks related and was immediately dumped into some loop to supposedly leave a message that never allowed me to leave a message.

:madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Meanwhile, in the city just to the north and east of us, an improperly extinguished firework started one house on fire, and subsequently the house next door.
Right up until the last paragraph, I thought we might live in the same city. ;)

It was noisy.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 am

Speaking of irresponsible use of fireworks...

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/skyway- ... /550297936

Warning, video auto plays.
A Skyway 14-year-old took his parents car without their permission to buy fireworks and ended up catching it on fire.

According to firefighters, the boy and his friends started shooting Roman candles at one another on the evening of July 4.

Related Headlines
The Seattle fireworks show over Lake Union as captured by Tim Durkan Photography.
PHOTOS: Fourth of July fireworks in Seattle

VIDEO: Complete 2017 4th of July fireworks show
One went through an open window and started a fire.

Firefighters told KIRO 7 News it could have been much worse.
Same city as the two house fires mentioned upthread.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Washington Post subscription

i just reached my limit of free articles, and WaPo offered their subscription of two months at $1and $4 per month after.

But neatly next to this: an offer of $20/year for the digital edition on any number of devices!

At this I decided to join them with a small supportive amount on keeping track of the current US administration.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:35 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Washington Post subscription

i just reached my limit of free articles, and WaPo offered their subscription of two months at $1and $4 per month after.

But neatly next to this: an offer of $20/year for the digital edition on any number of devices!

At this I decided to join them with a small supportive amount on keeping track of the current US administration.
I am doing the same with the LA Times. It's time to renew WAPO after comparing the edeals.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Surprise Outcomes to the Mueller Probe
By Yoni Brenner

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... ller-probe
scenario 1: Despite months of veiled threats and outright obstruction, Robert Mueller heroically completes the investigation in early December. The conclusions are shocking. Not only did Paul Manafort directly collude with Russian intelligence to hack the D.N.C., the evidence confirms, but Jeff Sessions was in such frequent contact with Sergey Kislyak that they would often both fall asleep while FaceTiming. The Steele dossier is entirely confirmed, and new data analysis reveals that the hundred and seven thousand decisive Trump votes in the Rust Belt were all cast by Russian prostitutes.

The President and the Vice-President are swiftly impeached, and indictments are issued at every level of the Trump Administration. Curiously, the only figure to emerge unscathed is Michael Flynn, whom Mueller pronounces “totally innocent of everything” and also a “good guy.”

scenario 2: In mid-July, Rod Rosenstein finally caves to pressure from the White House and fires Mueller, replacing him with the President’s preferred candidate, Roger Stone. Stone promptly pink-slips Mueller’s team of ace prosecutors and intelligence veterans in favor of a gaggle of sexy bikini models from around the world. Operations are relocated from the Justice Department to an ersatz grotto on the grounds of Mar-a-Lago, complete with live sea turtles, a taxpayer-funded d.j., and a full-time “Daiquiri Consultant.”

But, three weeks into Stone’s tenure, reports emerge that President Trump has soured on the investigation, apparently fixated on the fact that several of the sea turtles “look like Dems.” Stone is fired, and Trump takes to Twitter to invite citizens to tune in on Monday night for the “surprise announcement” of the new “totally phenomenal” special counsel—even though everyone knows it’s Jared Kushner.
There are four more scenarios. :lol:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

RTH10260 wrote:Washington Post subscription

I support WAPO these days. If anyone is an Amazon Prime Member, they can get three months (I think that's the right total) free, with $3.99/month afterwards. I can live with that as opposed to so many ingocnito (sp??) windows open at one time.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:10 pm

I have subscribed to pretty much every news organization that Trump hates - WaPo, NYT, etc. It's the least I can do. :lol:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “The Lounge”