Hijack this thread

Slartibartfast

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Slartibartfast » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:My wife and I both signed up for the Ancestry.com DNA-nationality test ($300 per person!).
One of my sisters did this DNA test and shared the results with the rest of us. That's the nice thing of being full siblings... the results of the DNA test apply to all seven of us!
FYI, all of your siblings will probably have slightly different results (at least for small parts of your ancestry). One of my cousins results came back with 1% Native American -- which neither of her parents nor any of her 3 siblings shared.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:19 am

Mine came out 23% Earthling. Seems awful high to me. :|

If dogs run free, why not we?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:20 am

Foggy wrote:Mine came out 23% Earthling. Seems awful high to me. :|
I'm 15% Greek. I learned this from a test of my double first cousin. My mother's brother married my father's sister, so we share the same 4 grandparents. Perhaps I should change my name to Socrates Friegen.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 am

:fingerwag: Socrates came to a bad end. I hope there's no hemlock growing on FEMA Camp 17!

If dogs run free, why not we?

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:54 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I'm 15% Greek. I learned this from a test of my double first cousin. My mother's brother married my father's sister, so we share the same 4 grandparents. Perhaps I should change my name to Socrates Friegen.
That, or Sterngard Targaryan.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:15 pm

You would need a Plato or your thoughts would disappear

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Foggy wrote::fingerwag: Socrates came to a bad end. I hope there's no hemlock growing on FEMA Camp 17!
It's not FEMA Camp 17 any more. I bought the naming rights from Vladimir Putin and it's now Trump International - Malibu. (Has been since November 2016.)

As for Plato, Tollie, I would prefer my own Boswell. Everything Plato wrote is Greek to me.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I have double first cousins, too! My mom and her sister married two brothers. When people look at me quizzically when I try to explain it, I just say, "I'm twice as related to my cousins as you are to yours."

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I have double first cousins, too! My mom and her sister married two brothers. When people look at me quizzically when I try to explain it, I just say, "I'm twice as related to my cousins as you are to yours."
Our brothers and sisters are also cousins! I think once removed.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: I'm 15% Greek. I learned this from a test of my double first cousin. My mother's brother married my father's sister, so we share the same 4 grandparents. Perhaps I should change my name to Socrates Friegen.
OK, that's just creepy.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Maybenaut wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote: I'm 15% Greek. I learned this from a test of my double first cousin. My mother's brother married my father's sister, so we share the same 4 grandparents. Perhaps I should change my name to Socrates Friegen.
What do you mean by this? :confused:

Full siblings share the same relationship to any cousin. Double first cousins have an overlap in their pedigree (all 8 great-grandparents in common rather than the normal 4). This differs from pedigree collapse where, in extreme cases like the Hapsburgs, people might have as few as 4 great-grandparents. Are you describing another connection besides being double first cousins? If so, what?

Too (also), a "remove" is a generational jump. brothers and sisters are of the same generation. My first cousin's son is my first cousin once removed. The degree of a cousin is the number of generations you have to go back (beyond your parents) to find a common ancestor.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Don't make me have to explain again how my great aunt is her own first cousin (and half-sister.)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:20 pm

What really sounds weird and incestuous is that my mom's parents were step-siblings (I know, no biological ramifications). But my grandparents didn't meet until they were in their 20s. Their widowed parents first found each other, so that's kind of cool.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVqFkJ3suxQ

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm awake from my nap. Slarti and I discovered we both loves cheese. I told him about one of my favorite sources of cheeses from all over the world. Murray's Cheese shop in New York - I think they have two locations. They import cheese from all over the world and have an impressive collection of vegetarian cheese. Most people think all cheese is vegetarian, but not so. Rennet comes from the stomach of a calf, which must be slaughtered to get the rennet. Anyway...Murray's has lots of vegetarian cheeses, even a really good vegetarian parmesan.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/

Some of my favorites from Murrays:
Ewephoria Sheep Gouda - http://www.murrayscheese.com/ewephoria
Sartori Sarvecchio - http://www.murrayscheese.com/sarvecchio
Rogue Creamery Smoky Blue - http://www.murrayscheese.com/smokey-blue

I can't find my favorite vegetarian cheddar they have carried in the past. It could be they just don't have it in stock now and whenever it's available it will be listed again. Their website has changed since I last visited. I usually order cheese for Christmas and bring it to my Mom's, it's become kind of a tradition for me to bring a variety of cheeses from Murrays. But the last couple of years we didn't do this. So, it's been a while since I've had Murrays. Maybe I will treat myself when I get back home. :thumbs:

--- George W Bush

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Vegetarian = from vegetation.

Cheese = from milk.

I am so grumpy.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 pm

My grandfather's brother married my grandmother's sister on my dad's side. They had all come from Hungary to Pittsburgh and, as far as I know, all met here, belonging to the same church. My grandparents died in the early 1950s, but I think their sister and brother had died before that. I don't know why, but each couple is buried in different cemeteries.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Vegetarian = from vegetation.

Cheese = from milk.

I am so grumpy.
You don't have to kill the animal to get the milk, which is the point for many vegetarians, although I think vegans won't eat any food that comes from animals in any way. I personally didn't have any problem at all with the idea of taking milk from an animal for cheese for me to eat, but I guess everyone is different. I also eat eggs, but they aren't among my favorite of food, I don't eat 6 eggs in a month, generally. When I did eat a vegetarian diet, it was mainly driven by the fact that even as a child I picked at meat and devoured everything else, I just never really liked meat in general. I discovered that I personally feel more healthy, more energetic, etc on a diet with little or no meat, but I know that isn't true for everyone. I don't call myself a vegetarian, but I don't eat animal flesh very often, probably less than once a month.

--- George W Bush

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Hard-core vegans don't use any product related to animals in any way at all. A friend of mine doesn't even use honey... he explained that he doesn't want to inconvenience the bees. That's kind of crazy to me. I get to say that since the time he and I trudged all over the lower Central Park area looking for a restaurant that had something he could eat. :?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Plants are living things. Seeds are future living things. How dare he eat any food!

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:56 am

I have wondered for years if a more violent, more deadly response by the Weimar Republic might have stopped Hitler and the Nazis in their tracks. I know that Versailles was the major impetus.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 am

TollandRCR wrote:I have wondered for years if a more violent, more deadly response by the Weimar Republic might have stopped Hitler and the Nazis in their tracks. I know that Versailles was the major impetus.
Just as Trump did, Hitler managed to convince his base their problems were someone else's fault. Some people will believe anything if you tell them what they want to hear. Versailles was just another talking point for Hitler.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:20 am

That is very frightening

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

RoadScholar wrote:Hard-core vegans don't use any product related to animals in any way at all. A friend of mine doesn't even use honey... he explained that he doesn't want to inconvenience the bees. That's kind of crazy to me. I get to say that since the time he and I trudged all over the lower Central Park area looking for a restaurant that had something he could eat. :?
My son-in-law is the same type of vegan. Eating out with him is not pleasant even though we have managed to settle on a few restaurants in the area where we can all find something to eat. The daughter and grandkids are vegetarians, so it's usually not much fun even when we're in one of the restaurants that works. Even though both kids are vegetarians, they eat totally differently. One will eat cheese sandwiches and french fries out; the other one has milk allergies and likes Chinese and Indian food.

We took the kids on the Ducky Tour on Saturday and ended up in Hofbrauhaus House. She ate french fries and a cheese sandwich and pretzels with cheese. He ate the big pretzels, no cheese. I don't think my son-in-law could eat there, but they do have terrific beer made to German standards right on site!

:bar:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:02 pm

I just got back from my local county fair. Veteran's Day today so I got in free. Nice parade. A display of some junky red farm machinery. A display of old tractors that are probably more reliable than the junky new red stuff. The local Democrats had a booth and were selling blue "Make America Think Again" ball caps.

Return to “The Lounge”