Hijack this thread

kate520

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Our mail carrier, Ray, is a neighborhood fixture. He's been on this route for 25 years. He has seen everything - the births, the deaths, the shenanigans. The neighborhood garage band boys, who grew up while he delivered their mail, even wrote a song about him. :lol:

Last year there was a week where we each got the neighbor's mail, like a little round robin game. There are only four houses on the block so we exchanged letters and parcels and now we all know each other. :-D (Two of us are relatively new)

I mentioned it to Ray in passing sometime later, because it stopped as soon as he came back and it wasn't Such a hardship that he needed to know immediately. :roll: Turns out he's the Shop Steward for his home PO. :thumbs: Sometimes he is in meetings or representing someone at a hearing and the newest of the newbies get his route, because he also trains the newbies.

I'm ok with the occasional misdelivery.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:44 pm

It's almost enough to make you wonder if the end-of-the-world people are actually gonna get it right this time:
September 23rd, 2017.

Just in case:

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:51 pm

I have apparently been reported dead to Lexis Nexis. I mean, I know my allergies are a bit bad this year, and I sometimes "feel" like death, but I'm not quite dead yet.

I called the automated number and ordered the report, but I don't know if it will arrive before I move. Or at all. The mail service at this apartment complex sucks horribly. I get my neighbor's mail quite often. They get mine. We exchange mail about once a week.

So, I'm now on neglect to try and get hold of a human and try to find out what is going on.

So... if I'm dead, does that mean I don't have to pay taxes any longer? Oh.. wait... just realized that I couldn't have a job if I'm dead, can I?
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Jez wrote:I have apparently been reported dead to Lexis Nexis. I mean, I know my allergies are a bit bad this year, and I sometimes "feel" like death, but I'm not quite dead yet.

I called the automated number and ordered the report, but I don't know if it will arrive before I move. Or at all. The mail service at this apartment complex sucks horribly. I get my neighbor's mail quite often. They get mine. We exchange mail about once a week.

So, I'm now on neglect to try and get hold of a human and try to find out what is going on.

So... if I'm dead, does that mean I don't have to pay taxes any longer? Oh.. wait... just realized that I couldn't have a job if I'm dead, can I?
There's a really funny bit about this in Joseph Heller's Catch 22. Army mistakenly believes that a guy died in a plane crash (he didn't), then he tries to spend the rest of the book trying to convince everyone (including his own wife) that's he's still alive. No one (including his wife) gives a shit. It's pretty funny.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Maybenaut wrote: There's a really funny bit about this in Joseph Heller's Catch 22. Army mistakenly believes that a guy died in a plane crash (he didn't), then he tries to spend the rest of the book trying to convince everyone (including his own wife) that's he's still alive. No one (including his wife) gives a shit. It's pretty funny.
Note to Jez: do not take this to mean that we don't give a shit as to whether you are still alive :bighug: :-D
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:37 pm

tek wrote:
Maybenaut wrote: There's a really funny bit about this in Joseph Heller's Catch 22. Army mistakenly believes that a guy died in a plane crash (he didn't), then he tries to spend the rest of the book trying to convince everyone (including his own wife) that's he's still alive. No one (including his wife) gives a shit. It's pretty funny.
Note to Jez: do not take this to mean that we don't give a shit as to whether you are still alive :bighug: :-D
Right! :oops: I apologize for the stream of consciousness. :P

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:50 pm

I'll have to think about this one for a while.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/e ... -1.2601629
A California panel recommended parole Thursday for former Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten more than four decades after she went to prison for the notorious killings of a wealthy grocer and his wife.

The decision will now undergo administrative review by the Board of Parole Hearings. If upheld it goes to Gov. Jerry Brown, who has the final word on whether the now-66-year-old Van Houten is released from the California Institution for Women in Chino.

Brown previously blocked the parole of former Manson follower Bruce Davis, citing the gravity of his offenses and his refusal to fully accept responsibility for his role in the murders of a stunt man and a musician.
One difference between Van Houten and Davis may be that she has for a long time accepted responsibility.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:06 pm

She was a cheerleader and homecoming princess at Sprout's high school. :?

Mohammed Ali

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm

kate520 wrote:She was a cheerleader and homecoming princess at Sprout's high school. :?
Really? It's been eons and a day since I read anything about the Manson Family, but I've always had the impression the females were emotionally orphaned, susceptible girls looking for belonging and such. Although I suppose that happens in outwardly "good' homes too. Cheerleading and homecoming princess sounds so apple pie and Chevrolet.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... QXuSn_WHdg

(hopefully that google-trick link gets past the paywall)

Ms.tek lived in Lowell for the last dozen or so years.. both in a condo downtown (which she now rents to an excellent tenant) and in an old 2-family house in a 'neighborhood' she bought but has since sold (though we are still good friends with her neighbors there).

Compared to Lawrence, Springfield, Holyoke, etc it is far more vibrant and alive.. the comments are also (so far) amazingly civil..
We are so far down the rabbit hole..

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
kate520 wrote:She was a cheerleader and homecoming princess at Sprout's high school. :?
Really? It's been eons and a day since I read anything about the Manson Family, but I've always had the impression the females were emotionally orphaned, susceptible girls looking for belonging and such. Although I suppose that happens in outwardly "good' homes too. Cheerleading and homecoming princess sounds so apple pie and Chevrolet.
Her parents divorced when she was 14. It messed her up. Then teen pregnancy at 17, with a mother-mandated abortion. The pregnancy is very Apple pie and back-seat-of-Chevrolet, but the other sounds like Steven King.

Mohammed Ali

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 pm

One of my ex co-workers went to school with a Playmate of the Year. If you didn't believe him you only had to ask him. He brought his high school yearbook as well as before and after pictures to prove it. I didn't spend much time looking at the before pictures.

vic

Post by vic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:25 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:56 pm

vic wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

vic

Post by vic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
vic wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Thanks, Slarti! I have an adopted nephew, but as he's an only child, the terminology never came up.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
vic wrote:
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
Hidden Content

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:54 am

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... CMP=twt_gu

Interesting multinational, multicultural story.
Why my Nigerian father never said goodbye
After Camilla Balshaw‘s father disappeared, she spent years trying to forget him. But then a meeting with a cousin she never knew existed led to a series of very odd phone calls – and a new understanding of her heritage

I had been warned by my cousin about the strange telephone habits of Nigerians so, as I prepared to speak to my father for the first time in 30 years, I thought I was ready. But I wasn’t. The conversation lasted four minutes. Not the way I had expected to strike up a relationship with the man I had last seen when I was 10.

My parents had met in London in the early 60s. They were part of the new wave of arrivals from India, Pakistan, Africa and the Caribbean. London swelled with a Commonwealth population who came to work and build new lives.

My father had come to study engineering. He met my mother, a trainee nurse, and swept her off her feet. My grandmother simply couldn’t understand why she insisted on a relationship with a Nigerian and not a “nice Caribbean gentleman”.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:37 am

My story isn't as dramatic. My wife and I both signed up for the Ancestry.com DNA-nationality test ($300 per person!).

My results, very heavily Eastern European Jew (Ancestry.com evidently has no recognition for Middle Eastern Jewish origins). No surprise at all because I am descended from, literally, the sort of people in Fiddler on the Roof.
But ... without explanation, Ancestry.com detected in me 1% Irish. I don't know how that happened, and I don't know how to properly celebrate that part of my ancestry. Maybe I should go in for heavy drinking.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:45 am

Fortinbras wrote:My wife and I both signed up for the Ancestry.com DNA-nationality test ($300 per person!).
One of my sisters did this DNA test and shared the results with the rest of us. That's the nice thing of being full siblings... the results of the DNA test apply to all seven of us!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Fortinbras wrote:My story isn't as dramatic. My wife and I both signed up for the Ancestry.com DNA-nationality test ($300 per person!).

My results, very heavily Eastern European Jew (Ancestry.com evidently has no recognition for Middle Eastern Jewish origins). No surprise at all because I am descended from, literally, the sort of people in Fiddler on the Roof.
But ... without explanation, Ancestry.com detected in me 1% Irish. I don't know how that happened, and I don't know how to properly celebrate that part of my ancestry. Maybe I should go in for heavy drinking.
Wear a green yarmulke and drink beer on St. Patrick's Day!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fortinbras wrote:My story isn't as dramatic. My wife and I both signed up for the Ancestry.com DNA-nationality test ($300 per person!).

Wear a green yarmulke and drink beer on St. Patrick's Day!
Drink Bushmills with your latkes!
"Moths are velvety-soft abominations attracted to light." --Puck, reporter from Breaking Cat News

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:30 pm

:rotflmao:

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:40 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:One of my sisters did this DNA test and shared the results with the rest of us. That's the nice thing of being full siblings... the results of the DNA test apply to all seven of us!
I have my doubts about the precision/reliability of those DNA nationality tests, especially after a scientific journal published (about 4 years ago) an article that reported that Ashkenazic Jews were descended from Khazari rather than Middle Eastern Israelites - and it was later pointed out that the author had tested only 12 people and having absolutely no access to Khazar DNA substituted Armenian DNA and called it Khazar. Anyway, it might be Very Interesting to see if full siblings get different results from the Ancestry test (suggest testing a few months apart so Ancestry.com won't realize what's happening).

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
MN-Skeptic wrote:One of my sisters did this DNA test and shared the results with the rest of us. That's the nice thing of being full siblings... the results of the DNA test apply to all seven of us!
I have my doubts about the precision/reliability of those DNA nationality tests :snippity:
My sister's results: 91% Scandinavia, 5% Ireland, 2% Europe West. My father's parents came from Norway. With my mom, it was her grandparents or great-grandparents who all came from Norway. I suppose the Irish might change, but it's de minimis for me.

vic

Post by vic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
I have my doubts about the precision/reliability of those DNA nationality tests, especially after a scientific journal published (about 4 years ago) an article that reported that Ashkenazic Jews were descended from Khazari rather than Middle Eastern Israelites - and it was later pointed out that the author had tested only 12 people and having absolutely no access to Khazar DNA substituted Armenian DNA and called it Khazar. Anyway, it might be Very Interesting to see if full siblings get different results from the Ancestry test (suggest testing a few months apart so Ancestry.com won't realize what's happening).
Siblings, except identical twins, shouldn't test the same (unless your ancestry goes back many generations in the same small area). These tests aren't examining your entire genome, so there is some fuzziness.

I used 23andMe, after my brother tried them. They show me as being 94.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, and the rest broadly European with 0.2% Middle Eastern. My brother and I share 53% of our DNA as reported by 23andMe, and their algorithm matched us as siblings. I'm aware of one other relative who used 23andMe, a first cousin once removed (grandson of my mother's sister). 23andMe identified him as a first or second cousin, with 6% shared with me. They identified him as a second cousin of my brother, with 4% shared.

As far as precision, 23andMe lets you see the populations they use for comparison. They use a combination of public databases and data from 23andMe participants who agreed to let them use the data, and show the population sizes used. Of course, people don't come with barcodes and ingredient lists, so origin is all based on what people report about themselves. In my case, my maternal grandparents are from a village which was in Hungary when they immigrated, and Ukraine now; I suspect that many generations stayed in that general area. On my father's side, we're more eastern European. And here's one area for error. For decades, I was told that my father's paternal grandfather immigrated from Germany, but later learned he was actually from Russia.

Return to “The Lounge”