Hijack this thread

RVInit

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by RVInit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 pm

pipistrelle wrote: You could run because of your surgery. :dance:
:lol: I could run in spite of it! By "run" I really mean I walked out of there as fast as I could, did not stop at go, did not even stop to pay the bill, I mailed it in later! But, seriously, after what happened in the first surgery the idea of having the other one done - I didn't need any good hips to run away from that idea!

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 pm

Foggy wrote:
GreatGrey wrote:This is my surgeon. If she says she wants to stick a finger up my butt or probe me in other ways I always say yes. :-D

IMG_2696.JPG
Nope. Nuh uh. :nope: :talktothehand:

Even her, I'd make her take me out for dinner and a movie first. :liar: :lol:
Even Southern beaux should have standards. [Confession of a Southern Belle - my parents never told me to at least get dinner and a movie before sex.]

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:43 am

For those who still use snail mail: I just got an email from the U S Postal Service. I previously registered on their site so that I could print priority mail labels with postage, and also use their feature which sends me a notification when a package is delivered to me. They now have something called Informed Delivery, which will send you scans of letter envelopes you are receiving that day (they say it will be expanded to other size envelopes and packages in the future).

Given the increased frequency of mail being stolen from residential mailboxes, this will be useful to see when you are receiving something important.
Edit: It's free. And they are doing something intelligent - their automated mail sorting equipment already scans the envelopes, so they're repurposing the information that they are already capturing. http://faq.usps.com/ has information on how it works and address security and privacy.

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:02 am

Looks like the Sheraton Universal Hotel in Universal City can't catch a break.

Yesterday, the LAFD Alerts page reported a fire there

http://www.lafd.org/alert/high-rise-08302017
High-Rise; 12:37PM; 10600 W Universal Pl; https://goo.gl/maps/ttFQfppz5Uv; Hollywood; A fire out, was held in check by sprinkler, on the 9th floor of a 26 story high rise hotel. Firefighters working on shutting down sprinkler and salvage operations due to water flow. No injuries reported. The 2nd Alarm resources requested are being cancelled. LAFD Inc#0830; FS 86; Batt 14; Valley Bureau; Council District 4; BC10 BC11 BC12 BC14 BC18 BC5 CM42 E227 E27 E278 E288 E289 E39 E60 E76 E82 E86 E90 E97 EM12 H2 H4 H5 RA76 RA860 T27 T39 T60 T78 T88 T89 ; CH9; 17; Margaret Stewart
There were some updates, and they reported that after the fire was out they found a victim in an adjacent room who was transported in grave condition.

L A Daily News story on fire

Today, the LAFD reports this (different address, but Google maps puts it on the same building)

http://www.lafd.org/alert/flooding-08312017
Flooding; 6:14PM; 333 Universal Hollywood Dr; https://goo.gl/maps/E4NThkLKpYy; Hollywood; Water main break at the Sheraton Universal caused flooding in ballroom and lower level storage rooms. LAFD assisting with initial hazard mitigation and contractors hired by Sheraton enroute. No injuries reported. No evacuations in place. LAFD anticipated to clear the scene in 20 minutes. LAFD Inc#1507 No Further Details; FS 86; Batt 14; Valley Bureau; Council District 4; LF78 E89 BC14; CH8; 17; Margaret Stewart
KNBC story on flood - looks like rewrite of alert

tek

Post by tek » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Insanity weekend here, all the college kids moving in..
Actual conversation overheard at the supermarket:
"No! dude! get the ground beef and we'll make burgers, it'll be much better"
"DUDE, we're gonna be drunk! get the pre-made patties!"

Anyway, ms.tek and I are going to head off to the Clark museum http://www.clarkart.edu/museum/overview tomorrow, probably with a stop at Elmer's http://elmersstore.com/ for breakfast on the way out..

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

tek

Post by tek » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:22 pm

past menu from Elmer's, pre Pope Frank:
collage_lb_image_page6_0_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:03 pm

vic wrote:For those who still use snail mail: I just got an email from the U S Postal Service. I previously registered on their site so that I could print priority mail labels with postage, and also use their feature which sends me a notification when a package is delivered to me. They now have something called Informed Delivery, which will send you scans of letter envelopes you are receiving that day (they say it will be expanded to other size envelopes and packages in the future).

Given the increased frequency of mail being stolen from residential mailboxes, this will be useful to see when you are receiving something important.
Edit: It's free. And they are doing something intelligent - their automated mail sorting equipment already scans the envelopes, so they're repurposing the information that they are already capturing. http://faq.usps.com/ has information on how it works and address security and privacy.
I've tried to get that service set up for my PO box, which is about 15 miles away (I used to work near it, and I've had that box address since 1986, I'm not giving it up now). But the Post Offices website doesn't seem to have a "forgot my password" feature, and I can't remember the password from when I order stamps online six or seven years ago. Their remedy: Open another account. This always irritates me enough that I abandon the project altogether.

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:29 pm

IANAL, but even I've heard of Richard Posner. He just announced he's retiring.

From the Chicago Tribune -

Richard Posner announces sudden retirement from federal appeals court in Chicago
Judge Richard A. Posner, one of the nation's leading appellate judges, whose acerbic wit attracted an almost cultlike following within legal circles, is retiring after more than three decades with the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago.

Posner, 78, is stepping down effective Saturday, according to a news release Friday afternoon from the 7th Circuit. He was appointed to the court by President Ronald Reagan in 1981 and served as its chief judge from 1993 to 2000.

Posner said in a statement he has written more than 3,300 opinions in his time on the bench and is "proud to have promoted a pragmatic approach to judging." He said he spent his career applying his view that "judicial opinions should be easy to understand and that judges should focus on the right and wrong in every case."

Posner's biting and often brilliant written opinions as well as his unrelenting questioning from the bench have made him an icon of the court for years.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Berkshire trip was awesome.. perfect weather..
Lots to see at the Clark, we haven't been there for quite a while..
Good used bookstore browsing in Buckland..

And breakfast on the way out was awesome as well.. On this year's menu at Elmer's:
elmers_IMG_20170902_082131170crsm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:29 pm

I just booked a hotel room for Mr. K and me. He rarely travels, but he's had to see some out of town doctors lately, and it's too far to drive up and back in one day.

I booked an "accessible" room since Mr. K is, in fact, disabled and the extra grab bars are greatly appreciated. He's not a wheelchair user, just incredibly unsteady on his feet. After I chose that room, I got a pop up message reiterating that this was an accessible room, and if I didn't need those features, to please choose another room. I had never had that happen before, and I realized I liked it. I personally would feel bad taking up a disabled room if we didn't need it, and I appreciated this little reminder. Thank you, hotel, for trying to keep the accessible rooms open for folks who really need them! :dance:

IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played on on TV.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Good hotel.

"In the US today, 99% of poor people have running water, electricity, and flush toilets, 95% have a television, 88% a telephone, 71% a car, and 70% air conditioning. Yet these are all things that the fabulously wealthy nineteenth century robber baron Cornelius Vanderbilt lacked."
-from The Optimistic Leftist

Summary of the book so far is what I have been saying for several years now. In the long run, progressives always win. The 21st century will be no different.

If dogs run free, why not we?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:35 am

Seen on a T shirt recently:

FAMILY
FAITH
FRIENDS
FLAG
FIREARMS

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am

pipistrelle wrote:Seen on a T shirt recently:

FAMILY
FAITH
FRIENDS
FLAG
FIREARMS
So an appropriate response would be "F you!" ?

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:16 am

tek wrote:Berkshire trip was awesome.. perfect weather..

And breakfast on the way out was awesome as well.. On this year's menu at Elmer's:

I love Elmer's! What bookstore in Buckland? I'm guessing I've been there but as I am always looking for new-to-me stops, I thought I'd ask.

And now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've been to the Clark. Perhaps we'll head up there this fall (but first I need to get over to the Eric Carle - I haven't visited it yet <hangs head>).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:50 am

Astonishing moment 15-year-old boy sets new Rubik's Cube world record at just 4.69 SECONDS... and even he looks confused afterwards

American Patrick Ponce shaved 0.05 seconds off the previous record
He completed his impressive accomplishment at a competition in Virginia
Footage shows Patrick's hands moving at lightning speed as he solves the cube

By Joe Sheppard For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 12:43 BST, 4 September 2017 | UPDATED: 12:48 BST, 4 September 2017

A teenager made history over the weekend when he broke a world record in solving a Rubik's Cube.

American Patrick Ponce, 15, completed the puzzle in an astounding 4.69 seconds as he took part in a competition in Virginia on Saturday.

His remarkable display beats the previous record-holder, Australian Feliks Zemdegs, by just 0.05 seconds
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ecord.html

tek

Post by tek » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:04 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
tek wrote:Berkshire trip was awesome.. perfect weather..

I love Elmer's! What bookstore in Buckland? I'm guessing I've been there but as I am always looking for new-to-me stops, I thought I'd ask.

And now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've been to the Clark. Perhaps we'll head up there this fall (but first I need to get over to the Eric Carle - I haven't visited it yet <hangs head>).
Nancy Dole's bookstore.. kinda cramped to a bit hard to browse, but certainly good local-interest stuff..

Carle is a lazy half-hour bikeride from here.. but I've never been :oops:
After living here for over 20 years, we finally went to the Dickinson when out-of-town guests wanted to go.. (that's a good visit too)

tek

Post by tek » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:40 pm

"someone you can't depend on
someone you can't rely on"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdeKoamDXU

40+ years later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClBPx7vCWo

we's in the Connecticut River Valley grew up to these folks.. (Al and the Wildweeds, not She and Him..)

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 am

My alma mater has a new coach and lost some key starters to graduation. I was prepared for them to lose the first game to the 4th ranked team in the country. I was just hoping they weren't blown out.

To my surprise, the Broncos kept up through most of the game, even having the lead from time to time. They just could not sustain it to the end. Now I have a sad, even more than when they lost the Cotton Bowl last year (which was expected). At least this year is looking up.

:trojans: better hope than WMU was stronger than expected or they may have trouble against :ucla:.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:10 am

I posted last week that I had signed up for the USPS Informed Delivery service, where you get an email showing scans of envelopes of the letter-size you will be receiving.

This morning I received the first email, and apparently I'll be getting two pieces of junk mail today, one from Anthem Blue Cross and one from Spectrum Cable. :lol:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:16 am

:lol:

I had thought that sounded like a good idea, not so sure now.

vic

Post by vic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am

AndyinPA wrote::lol:

I had thought that sounded like a good idea, not so sure now.
I still think it's a good idea. People are getting more brazen in stealing packages and mail from homes. While I haven't had that problem yet, it's happened in the neighborhood. So I think it's useful to know if something important is expected.

In addition, once or twice a year we get a substitute letter carrier for a few days who seems to be clueless (I've been told that they use our area for training). One day I received seven pieces of mail for four houses other than mine - one a few doors down from me, one on a parallel street, and two on a cross street. The cross street address was particularly strange ( 96xx Oakdale vs 198xx Itasca). I assume that if I'm getting someone else's mail, the same is happening to my mail.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Not only are we a training route, but we're at the end of the route and I think they're tired by the time they get to our house based on how often they screw up our mail. We got a letter a month or so back that was addressed to the right number but the wrong street. I put it back on the mailbox with the address circled. They put it back in my box. I wrote "not the right address" on it the next day and they picked it up. 3 days later, they re-delivered it to me with my note scratched through. I wrote "WRONG ADDRESS" on it this time with red marker. They put it back in my box the next day. I met the mailman at the door the following day to hand it to him personally. His response was "oh, yeah, I see that now."

vic

Post by vic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Not only are we a training route, but we're at the end of the route and I think they're tired by the time they get to our house based on how often they screw up our mail. We got a letter a month or so back that was addressed to the right number but the wrong street. I put it back on the mailbox with the address circled. They put it back in my box. I wrote "not the right address" on it the next day and they picked it up. 3 days later, they re-delivered it to me with my note scratched through. I wrote "WRONG ADDRESS" on it this time with red marker. They put it back in my box the next day. I met the mailman at the door the following day to hand it to him personally. His response was "oh, yeah, I see that now."
:bangwall:

Whoa! That trumps the response I got from the letter carrier when I handed him all that mis-delivered mail. He asked me what I wanted him to do with it, and I said he should deliver it to the proper address.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Not only are we a training route, but we're at the end of the route and I think they're tired by the time they get to our house based on how often they screw up our mail. We got a letter a month or so back that was addressed to the right number but the wrong street. I put it back on the mailbox with the address circled. They put it back in my box. I wrote "not the right address" on it the next day and they picked it up. 3 days later, they re-delivered it to me with my note scratched through. I wrote "WRONG ADDRESS" on it this time with red marker. They put it back in my box the next day. I met the mailman at the door the following day to hand it to him personally. His response was "oh, yeah, I see that now."
I had a similar experience, and ended up taking the letter to the local post office. The postal worker looked at the envelope and said, "Oh, here's the problem. The routing code is incorrect." He said the sender (some company) had used the wrong routing code on the envelope, so the postal sorting machines kept assigning it to my address. He looked up the correct routing code, printed a new label, put it on the envelope, and put it in a bin.

I'd thought of hand-delivering the letter to the recipient, which I've done a time or two, but since I'd repeatedly flagged it as a wrong address, I wanted the post office to recognize their error, hence my trip to the next town to take it up with them in person.

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Long and boring story about the Post Office delivering to a wrong address:

Around Christmas time, I started getting mail forwarded to my address for 3 people, with a yellow Post Office "forward to this address" sticker. At first I wrote "Does not live at this address" on the envelopes and put them back in the mailbox, but they kept on coming. After about a week, I gathered them up in a bundle and wrote a note saying "these people [listed the names] do not live at this address; please don't send me their mail" and put it in my mailbox, but it did nothing. I was getting 2 or 3 mail items a day.

After a while I started getting their magazines, and apparently the post office automatically notifies magazine publishers of change of address because these weren't forwarded, they had my address on them. Plus I was still getting their regular mail, including notices from state agencies, banks, and credit card companies.

I figured that these people were hiding from creditors and had picked my address randomly, and I was afraid I would open the door one day to detectives or police, so I went to the local post office. The guy told me someone in another office handled that sort of thing and he couldn't help me at all, and he gave me a phone number. I guess all he did was sell stamps and weigh packages.

I called the phone number and the lady was very helpful. "Oh, I see what they did!" Apparently when the Post Office records a forwarding address, they start typing the address and it's like Google Maps - a dropdown list of matching addresses show up. And of course they picked the wrong one. Same street number, same street name, different state and zip code. She said she would fix it.

In the meantime, I had gotten another batch of magazines so I spent about a day figuring out how to notify the magazines of their error. Did you know, most magazines have no phone # or email listed? I went to their web sites and to enter a change I had to create accounts. So I did that for the 5 or 6 magazines I was getting and turned in change of address notices. (And I'm getting spam mail from them now.) That seemed to work.

And I was still getting their regular mail, still with the yellow "forward to this address" sticker. Many had my "does not live here" writing on them.

I got in my car and drove to the regional office and said "I want to talk to someone about this." The lady I spoke to several months before came out. She remembered my earlier call and was visibly annoyed by what was going on, and she took the pile of mail I had and said she would take care of it personally.

So... it's gotten better. I still get the occasional junk mail - which I toss - but sometimes I get something that looks important. It's never forwarded; it all has MY address on it. So I write a "please forward" with the new address on it.

I used to always defend the Post Office, but this has soured my view somewhat...

Return to “The Lounge”