Hijack this thread

kate520

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:06 pm

What, no deep fried hard boiled eggs? :mrgreen:
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:12 pm

ZekeB wrote:Plants are living things. Seeds are future living things. How dare he eat any food!
Listen up brothers and sisters, come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegetables live in oppression, served on our tables each night
The killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, coleslaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings, just 'cause a radish can't scream

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

:like:

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:36 pm

AndyinPA wrote: :like:
Me too!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

DNA test confirms Viking sagas about Warrior Women!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ancient-viki ... 58946.html
The burial site, known as Bj 581, “was brought forward as an example of an elaborate high-status male warrior grave. This image of the male warrior in a patriarchal society was reinforced by research traditions and contemporary preconceptions,” the researchers wrote.

The analysis found the individual possessed two X chromosomes and no Y chromosomes, indisputably confirming the skeleton’s sex as female. A strontium analysis was also carried out to establish whether the warrior had traveled.

“The female warrior was mobile, a pattern that is implied in the historical sources, especially when it comes to the extended households of the elite,” the researchers wrote. They describe the warrior as being part of a society that dominated eighth- to 10th-century Northern Europe, where women were able to be full members of male-dominated spheres.

The researchers presented the finding as “the first genetic proof that women were Viking warriors.” Stockholm University’s Charlotte Hedenstierna-Jonson, who led the study, says, “The gaming set indicates that she was an officer, someone who worked with tactics and strategy and could lead troops in battle. What we have studied was not a Valkyrie from the sagas but a real-life military leader that happens to have been a woman.”
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am

Can a human being with two X chromosomes nevertheless have the paraphernalia of a man and therefore "pass" as one?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Can a human being with two X chromosomes nevertheless have the paraphernalia of a man and therefore "pass" as one?
Paraphernalia? Women have posed as men for centuries unbeknownst to the men surrounding them. Specific example, Petit Jean for whom Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas is named.
http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/histo ... fault.aspx
The Legend of Petit Jean, and how the mountain received its name, begins in the 1700s with the story of a young French Nobleman, Chavet, who lived during the period of the French exploration of the New World. He requested permission to explore a part of the Louisiana Territory, and for a grant to claim part of the land. The King granted Chavet’s approval.

Chavet was engaged to be married to a beautiful young girl from Paris, Adrienne Dumont. When told of his plans, she asked that they be married right away so she could accompany him. Thinking of the hardship and danger on the journey, Chavet refused her request, telling her upon his return if the country was good and safe, they would be married and go to the New World.

Adrienne refused to accept his answer, and disguised herself as a cabin boy and applied to the captain of Chavet's ship for a position as a cabin boy, calling herself Jean. The girl must have been incredibly clever in her disguise, for it is said that not even Chavet recognized her. The sailors called her Petit Jean, which is French for Little John.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Can a human being with two X chromosomes nevertheless have the paraphernalia of a man and therefore "pass" as one?
Yes. There's a genetic condition called XX Male Syndrome. The person has two XX chromosomes, but presents as male. All are infertile and generally shorter than the average man. The genitals of some have defects or unusual characteristics. Many show some breast development during puberty.

However, the body was tall for the era; also, I'm assuming the testing done would've turned up any genetic anomalies.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Paraphernalia? Women have posed as men for centuries unbeknownst to the men surrounding them. .
. .

Take a look at this Wikipedia article and then tell me if "paraphernalia" was a good choice or not.
Historical legal term
In legal parlance, "paraphernalia" is a term of art from older family law. The word "paraphernalia" is plural, meaning "things beyond the dowry". Paraphernalia were the separate property of a married woman, such as clothing and jewelry "appropriate to her station", but excluding the assets that may have been included in her dowry. The term originated in Roman law, but ultimately comes from Greek παράφερνα (parapherna), "beyond (para) the dowry (phernē)".[1]

These sorts of property were considered the separate property of a married woman under coverture. A husband could not sell, appropriate, or convey good title to his wife's assets considered paraphernalia without her separate consent. They did not become a part of her husband's estate upon his death, and could be conveyed by a married woman's will.[2]

Changes in family law and inheritance law (mirroring trends in the wider society, such as the several Married Woman's Property Acts of the various common law jurisdiction), have generally rendered the legal concept of paraphernalia obsolete.
I believe that if this warrior had two X chromosomes she passed nevertheless as a man. I acknowledge DejaMoo's post, but for every generality about physical condition there are exceptions. And certain physical attributes which may have occurred in the womb notwithstanding genetics, may not show up as abnormalities. (Forgive me -- there may have been soft tissue changes which are no longer accessible to researchers.)

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:53 am

I actually wanted to know what you meant about paraphernalia.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I actually wanted to know what you meant about paraphernalia.
In the case of this warrior, her physical attributes that may have appeared to make her look male.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:32 am

Since we're yappin' about lady warriors, here are Hillary's next 19 books courtesy of Wonkette.

1,001 Pictures of My Double Turbo-Fingers

Which Part of “He’s a Russian Puppet” Did You Dipsquats Not Understand?

Suck It: A Guide to the Cocktails I Drink Now That I No Longer Have to Be Polite to Doucheschooners Like Chris Cillizza

Eat It: A Recipe Book of Cookies I Never Baked and Never Fucking Will

Seriously, Go Fuck Yourselves

I Am Coming to Cram Feminism Into All of Your Video Games

A Loser Cries What? How I Learned Everything about Football in One Month So I Could Infiltrate Sean Hannity’s Fantasy League and Spank Him Like the Infant He Is

Also I Can Beat You at Pool

His Go-to Karaoke Song Is Stacey Q’s “Two of Hearts”: All the Intelligence My State Department Gathered on Putin

Any of You Jacksmacks Still Want to Talk about E-Mails?

Have I Mentioned Go Fuck Yourselves? Because Go Fuck Yourselves

Thoughts Had While Staring at Trey Gowdy’s Head for Eleven Hours

Some Excellent Benghazi Questions You Bozos Never Even Thought Of, Presented with Answers, Charts and Footnotes

How Headbands Work: Have None of You Dickwimples Ever Grown out Your Bangs?

Oh, You Wealthy White Suburbanites Would Like a Leader Savvy Enough to Deal with Kim Jong-un Now? Good Luck with That, Pinot Breath

Hillareading the Clues: A Series of Murder Mysteries Set in Washington, DC and Arkansas Just to Fuck with Your Heads

Advanced Maintenance for Your Vintage Harley: You’re Goddamned Right I Can Do That Too

Jesus Christ, Would it Have Killed You to Cover Trump’s Extensive RICO Network for 30 Seconds?

Now That You Have Struck Me Down I Am More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine

Read more at https://wonkette.com/622799/the-19-book ... UYhIyOq.99
♪ ♫ Human kindness is overflowin',
And I think it's goin'
To rain today. ♫ ♪

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:59 am

I'd like to believe that, as in the case of Queen Boudica, raw ability allowed this woman to rise to become a military leader.

How unbelievable is it that on occasion maintaining the traditional social order had taken a back seat to, you know... winning?
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm now wondering if Viking society in that era had a practice of allowing persons to declare their gender and be allowed to perform a role associated with that choice. Some societies have done that. Perhaps if our lady warrior declared (along the lines of the future Queen Elizabeth I) that although she had the body of a woman she had the heart and stomach of a warrior, they then treated her as such.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Matthew Yglesias‏
Verified account
 @mattyglesias 1d
1 day ago

If they didn’t already exist, public libraries would strike people as the most outlandish left-wing idea.
Probably true. :(

I seem to recall a time, decades ago, when communities took great pride in the quality of their public schools and libraries. Or am I just misremembering? :?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm

This has actually become an item of contention in some of the more affluent/conservative suburbs in the Twin Cities metro, thanks to the anti-tax people. They're willing to get rid of their library if it'll save them three bucks a year on their property taxes.

One such town got into a dispute with the County over its plans to close the branch in their town. They withdrew from the County library system, and kept the building and current materials. The conservatives crowed that they'd show the County and other towns how they were better off to manage their own library themselves.

Except.
1. This meant the townsfolk had to go to a County library to borrow the County library's materials, since they were not partnering with the newly-independent town library.
2. The conservatives objected to funding to pay for new library materials, and objected to funding more than one librarian. Within a few years, there was nothing new to read/watch/listen to and the library hours were cut back to just a few per week.

And then the saner element in town, fed up with this nonsense, made it to the polls, threw out the conservakooks on the council, went to the County and made up, and had their poor little independent library restored to the County fold. Which meant having the library line item added back on their property taxes, for which they rejoiced (except for the conservative grumpy old farts, who continued to complain about the extra three bucks a year).

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Is there anyone who has experience with spinal stenosis? I have it and really do no like it. So I just spent two nights on the floor, unable to get into bed.

There is one neurosurgeon in the area who is an industry. There are others who wonder why you would take the risk of neurosurgery. Then there is another physician who denies the MRI and says that I have hydrocephalus, despite the MRI evidence.

Maybe I should go to Boston or Rochester.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:14 pm

:bighug: Foggy! :bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Volkonski wrote:I seem to recall a time, decades ago, when communities took great pride in the quality of their public schools and libraries. Or am I just misremembering? :?
I get the feeling there is a considerable segment of our population that wouldn't send their kids to school beyond eighth grade if they didn't have to. :brickwallsmall:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 pm

It's because knowledge has a liberal bias.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't tell them Benjamin Franklin started the first public library in this country.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm

TollandRCR wrote:Is there anyone who has experience with spinal stenosis? I have it and really do no like it. So I just spent two nights on the floor, unable to get into bed.

There is one neurosurgeon in the area who is an industry. There are others who wonder why you would take the risk of neurosurgery. Then there is another physician who denies the MRI and says that I have hydrocephalus, despite the MRI evidence.

Maybe I should go to Boston or Rochester.
Ugh. Getting old sucks.

Go to Boston. The Harvard teaching hospital we used to call the Bent Peter probably has excellent spine surgeons.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Tollie, :sterngard: is absolutely right (as usual!). I had cervical disc surgery twenty years ago and was told it would continue
working its' way down my spine. It has, and I now also have mild scoliosis as a result. :( A neurosurgeon at Mass General in Boston said he wouldn't operate after he looked at the MRI I brought him. He told me in my case there was a 50% chance it
would help me but also a 35% chance I would be paralyzed. :o I've learned to live with the pain and at least can move around.

Most of the top hospitals in Boston (and there are several) have numerous neurosurgeons on staff. You have a very wide choice of resources.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 pm

:sterngard: is too old. Bent Peter turned into Brigham and Woman's years ago. They saved W2's life so they can do no wrong in my book.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:40 pm

It used to be Peter Bent Brigham Hospital. But we affectionately called it the Bent Peter.

Return to “The Lounge”