Hijack this thread

User avatar
Northland10
Posts: 6319
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Chicago area - North burbs

Re: Hijack this thread

#23351

Post by Northland10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm

I had an idea earlier today. I don't really watch sports, and really avoid watching teams I like because they always seem to lose when I watch (okay, fine, being a Cubs and Western Michigan fan might play into it). So... during next fall's college football season, I will now be rooting for and maybe even watching Ohio State and Alabama. ROLL TIDE!!!

For those USC and UCLA folks, I can be bought.


North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 42713
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Trump International - Malibu

Re: Hijack this thread

#23352

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 pm

:ucla: :like:

:flame: :trojans: :50caliber:



User avatar
Bill_G
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am
Location: Portland OR
Occupation: I work at being pleasantly surprised everyday.

Re: Hijack this thread

#23353

Post by Bill_G » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 am

Northland10 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm
I had an idea earlier today. I don't really watch sports, and really avoid watching teams I like because they always seem to lose when I watch (okay, fine, being a Cubs and Western Michigan fan might play into it). So... during next fall's college football season, I will now be rooting for and maybe even watching Ohio State and Alabama. ROLL TIDE!!!

For those USC and UCLA folks, I can be bought.
Diabolical (gasp!)



User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 15416
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Hijack this thread

#23354

Post by Volkonski » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm


Will Sommer

@willsommer

Glenn Beck, whose media empire is crumbling, has put his private jet up for sale
https://www.
thedailybeast.com/for-the-right-
price-you-can-buy-glenn-becks-private-jet?ref=wrap

11:45 AM - Apr 17, 2018
Glenn Beck, then enigmatic conservative media firebrand, appears to be selling off his assets as his media enterprise downsizes.

Earlier this year, Beck engaged in conversations with popular right-wing pundit Ben Shapiro to buy or partner with Beck’s right-leaning news network The Blaze, which has been hit with several rounds of massive layoffs over the past three years.


Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 15388
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: Hijack this thread

#23355

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:40 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm
https:// twitter.com/willsommer/status/986284413959987200
Will Sommer @willsommer

Glenn Beck, whose media empire is crumbling, has put his private jet up for sale
https://www.thedailybeast.com/for-the-r ... t?ref=wrap

11:45 AM - Apr 17, 2018
Glenn Beck, then enigmatic conservative media firebrand, appears to be selling off his assets as his media enterprise downsizes.

Earlier this year, Beck engaged in conversations with popular right-wing pundit Ben Shapiro to buy or partner with Beck’s right-leaning news network The Blaze, which has been hit with several rounds of massive layoffs over the past three years.
Thanks Obama! ;)



User avatar
Jez
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Out there, Somewhere...
Occupation: Thread Killer

Re: Hijack this thread

#23356

Post by Jez » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm

April 15th was the 5th Anniversary of Jim and I meeting and talking for the first time in Second Life. In celebration he got me a Bonsai tree. It is a dwarf Hawaiian Umbrella tree (arboricola schefflera I do believe). I did a bit of searching and this plant can be extremely poisonous to pets and children. So, currently it is waaaaay up high on a very tall shelving unit that the cats (hopefully) cannot get on top of. Plus, with the way the it's situated, they wouldn't be able to get a foothold/purchase to pull themselves up without bringing the entire shelving unit down.

I really don't want to leave it up there, and the cats are constantly trying to get up to it and I'm worried they will knock the TV over trying to get to it.

Any suggestions for a greenhouse/cage/cover for the plant? I'll probably keep it downstairs. Jim included some grow lights with it as part of the gift.

The tree is gorgeous, the planter is beautiful, and I have the worlds most prolific brown thumb, so I'm going to do my darndest to keep this thing alive. I got him a Fukien tea bonsai for his birthday a few years ago, and I don't think he's forgiven me yet. Though it's still very much alive and even blooms.


I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 8886
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#23357

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Jez wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:52 pm
April 15th was the 5th Anniversary of Jim and I meeting and talking for the first time in Second Life. In celebration he got me a Bonsai tree. It is a dwarf Hawaiian Umbrella tree (arboricola schefflera I do believe). I did a bit of searching and this plant can be extremely poisonous to pets and children. So, currently it is waaaaay up high on a very tall shelving unit that the cats (hopefully) cannot get on top of. Plus, with the way the it's situated, they wouldn't be able to get a foothold/purchase to pull themselves up without bringing the entire shelving unit down.

I really don't want to leave it up there, and the cats are constantly trying to get up to it and I'm worried they will knock the TV over trying to get to it.

Any suggestions for a greenhouse/cage/cover for the plant? I'll probably keep it downstairs. Jim included some grow lights with it as part of the gift.

The tree is gorgeous, the planter is beautiful, and I have the worlds most prolific brown thumb, so I'm going to do my darndest to keep this thing alive. I got him a Fukien tea bonsai for his birthday a few years ago, and I don't think he's forgiven me yet. Though it's still very much alive and even blooms.
What about one of those cool looking birdcages? Even the home stores and hobby places have some really pretty ones now (we used a bunch for Christmas decorations) and they can be cheap with coupons.



User avatar
Jez
Posts: 2378
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: Out there, Somewhere...
Occupation: Thread Killer

Re: Hijack this thread

#23358

Post by Jez » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:55 pm

What about one of those cool looking birdcages? Even the home stores and hobby places have some really pretty ones now (we used a bunch for Christmas decorations) and they can be cheap with coupons.
Great idea! I'll go take a look at Michael's and see what they have.


I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

User avatar
gupwalla
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:57 pm
Location: The mind of Cassandra

Re: Hijack this thread

#23359

Post by gupwalla » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm



In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Hijack this thread

#23360

Post by maydijo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:30 pm

One day this guy came into my former workplace wanting to see the counselor. I explained that she was out. He then proceeded to tell me that he needed a food voucher, because the police had confiscated his entire supply of weed, which was most unfair of them; they knew he had kids in the house and how was he supposed to feed his kids now that he'd had to spend all of his money on weed to replace the stuff the cops had taken?

I immediately nominated him for Father of the Year.



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 5421
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

#23361

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 pm



Victor Stoddard
@VicStoddard
This isn't even John Bolton's final form.


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
WriteItDown
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:49 pm
Location: Colorado
Occupation: Veterinary ophthalmologist

Re: Hijack this thread

#23362

Post by WriteItDown » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm
I had an idea earlier today. I don't really watch sports, and really avoid watching teams I like because they always seem to lose when I watch (okay, fine, being a Cubs and Western Michigan fan might play into it). So... during next fall's college football season, I will now be rooting for and maybe even watching Ohio State and Alabama. ROLL TIDE!!!

For those USC and UCLA folks, I can be bought.
Western Michigan has a really good men’s ice hockey team! :thunbsup: :thunbsup:


Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Carl von Ossietsky
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Hijack this thread - Hillary Clinton

#23363

Post by Carl von Ossietsky » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Late some evening in the autumn of 1998 Hillary Clinton read this

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... story.html
story.

She sat quiet in a dark corner for a while. Then she sighed and went to her private room in the WH. She would not stay one more night here.

Suddenly the devil appeared. "You are leaving Bill ? " "What else can I do after this ?" "Stay with your man and I will make you the first woman to be POTUS!" Hillary hesitated only 1 second."Deal !" And she stayed.

If only she had known that Donald Trump had sold his soul and the souls of many others long ago.....




User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: Hijack this thread

#23365

Post by maydijo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:29 pm

This is me being bitchy. I have no intention of actually doing anything about this; I guess I want to know if I'm alone in thinking this is crazy.

We have some neighbours who like to go on very long, extended camping trips each year. They will take their kids out for a minimum of a month to go camping and 4WDing. Last year it was six weeks. This year it's 15 weeks. The kids (grades 3 and 5) are going to miss all but half a term of the last half of the school year. The mother is a SAHM who thinks that women who work outside the home are begging their kids to turn to drugs and crime (seriously) and the father works fairly crap jobs because he has a habit of quitting them when he can't get the time off work to go camping. Which is what he's doing this time, after finally working himself up to a management position. (He has a very nice boss who gave him a couple of weeks of unpaid leave last year.) This trip is largely going to be funded by their unemployment payments. They say the kids don't suffer academically because they make sure the kids read every day; but that's it - they don't roadschool, they certainly don't take classwork with them, they don't do anything by way of math or science or history or, well, anything with the kids; they just want their kids to read a page a day from a novel of their choice. Last year, when she told me they were planning this trip, I hinted around the edges that perhaps it wasn't such a great idea; she went nuclear on me, so I'm not going to get involved again. But it's not just me, is it? Would you think about taking your kids out of school for 15 weeks without having some sort of education plan in place?



User avatar
GreatGrey
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:06 am
Location: Living in the Anthropocene

Re: Hijack this thread

#23366

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 am

Well that was weird. I blame Texas.

Just got to Houston, watching Rachel Maddow, and during a commercial break the local cable company sticks in an ad for Jerome Corsi’s latest book.

Yeah, like Maddow viewers are gonna buy a copy.


I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

NMgirl
Posts: 2999
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#23367

Post by NMgirl » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 am

maydijo wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:29 pm
This is me being bitchy. I have no intention of actually doing anything about this; I guess I want to know if I'm alone in thinking this is crazy
:snippity:
I started reading The Oregonian daily at the outset of the MNWR standoff. Sometimes I would stray off the Bundy reservation and read articles of local Oregon interest. One of those articles was about a rural area of Oregon (I can't remember where it was) in which the truancy rate was extremely high and the high school graduation rate extremely low. The writer of the article interviewed a number of local residents in this school district and the message from the parents was that deer hunting trips, fishing trips, just taking a kid out of school for days at a time for no reason at all, was important in building the strength of the family unit. What utter sanctimonious bullshit. I was infuriated, even though I have no stake in this game at all. So if you're crazy, then so am I.



User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 25434
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: Fogbow HQ
Occupation: Dick Tater

Re: Hijack this thread

#23368

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am

When I was a boy, it used to be called 'your period'. Then they changed it to 'PMS'.

I have no idea why, but anyway, when women invented PMS, men invented ESPN. :thumbs:


... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

User avatar
listeme
Posts: 5136
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#23369

Post by listeme » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:10 am

Re the threadjack in the Stormy thread about faulty memory following a traumatic incident:

Last night I pulled a muscle somehow, we think. It caused a bunch of chaos during a chaotic time of day for us, dog bedtime. I was actually frightened by the pain and the dogs reacted to my pain/fear. Lots of mayhem.

So I got settled finally, heat, advil, started to feel better, and only then could I really confer with Verbie and try to figure out what was going on.

This is the memory part. I have no idea when it happened in the chaos. There was feeding and outing of dogs, getting bed and dog beds set up, puppy is still mouthy at night, so we try to turn away from her when this is happening. I don't know what order this happened. I don't know when in there I pulled whatever I pulled.

Very weird to live through it and immediately be unclear. Also, put up against my other memory thing (not being sure what time of day a harassment incident happened) it is clear that I will be unreliable about TIME if I ever have to testify about something :mrgreen:

I feel better today, btw. Being careful and heat and advil and all that.


We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

User avatar
listeme
Posts: 5136
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#23370

Post by listeme » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Foggy wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am
When I was a boy, it used to be called 'your period'. Then they changed it to 'PMS'.

I have no idea why, but anyway, when women invented PMS, men invented ESPN. :thumbs:
It's still a period. The PMS is before the period.

Sheesh! :mrgreen:


We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 24373
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Hijack this thread

#23371

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:13 am

:rotflmao:
listeme wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am
Foggy wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am
When I was a boy, it used to be called 'your period'. Then they changed it to 'PMS'.

I have no idea why, but anyway, when women invented PMS, men invented ESPN. :thumbs:
It's still a period. The PMS is before the period.

Sheesh! :mrgreen:


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 5421
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

#23372

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 am
Well that was weird. I blame Texas.

Just got to Houston, watching Rachel Maddow, and during a commercial break the local cable company sticks in an ad for Jerome Corsi’s latest book.

Yeah, like Maddow viewers are gonna buy a copy.
That would be where I placed the ad if I managed the company. And give the ad buyer a "discount." :mrgreen:


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 5720
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#23373

Post by RVInit » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:27 am

NMgirl wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 am
maydijo wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:29 pm
This is me being bitchy. I have no intention of actually doing anything about this; I guess I want to know if I'm alone in thinking this is crazy
:snippity:
I started reading The Oregonian daily at the outset of the MNWR standoff. Sometimes I would stray off the Bundy reservation and read articles of local Oregon interest. One of those articles was about a rural area of Oregon (I can't remember where it was) in which the truancy rate was extremely high and the high school graduation rate extremely low. The writer of the article interviewed a number of local residents in this school district and the message from the parents was that deer hunting trips, fishing trips, just taking a kid out of school for days at a time for no reason at all, was important in building the strength of the family unit. What utter sanctimonious bullshit. I was infuriated, even though I have no stake in this game at all. So if you're crazy, then so am I.
I have no children, but I think it really doesn't matter whether I have kids or not, grown or not. The education of everyone else's kids does affect me. I'm affected in the sense that I work with other people's kids, the person who rings up my grocery items is someone else's kid, etc. It's hardly possible to get by in the world without encountering other people, and their education or lack of it does affect all of us. So, I think it's perfectly reasonable for all of us to be concerned about whether kids in general, and some specifically, are getting an education, and what kind of education they are getting. I harbor no resentment whatsoever that I pay taxes that are supporting schools, even though I have never had kids that went to school. It's an investment in my community and my country.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
TollandRCR
Posts: 19482
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Hijack this thread

#23374

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you, RVInit. There are too few citizens who understand why the education of other people’s kids benefits them.


“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 14921
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: Hijack this thread

#23375

Post by Suranis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:10 pm

You Americans are crazy. Has to be said.


"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Post Reply

Return to “The Lounge”