Hijack this thread

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 am

Gollum J. Trump
@realGollumTrump
Congratses to Reedy Patt on great and bravest TOAD HOLE MASTERS win! When Reedy had amazing wins at Dorgul 5 years ago, beings saw his juicy talent precious! And bright futures ahead! Stinky losing behind! Stick out tongues at past! Now he is Toad Golfs Masters! Master loves us!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:07 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm
I have become completely obsessed with getting to see Yayoi Kusama's retrospective. Has anyone seen the exhibit? I've included a couple of links where you can see some of it:

It's breaking records everywhere. It's coming to Cleveland next fall, but I'm hearing that tickets have been selling out at other locations. Cleveland's several hours from me, but I'm wondering if getting an annual membership to the museum might help me get a ticket.
I ended up joining the Cleveland art museum, and I GOT A TICKET! I'm sooooo happy!

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 pm

So COOL!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm

The idea of living in a psychiatric hospital but being free to go out to do what motivates you is very attractive.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:16 pm

I also like that she was this very avant garde woman of color in the 50s and 60s, when women were supposed to be painting sweet little pastels, not making rooms of full of polka-dotted penises. Also, I believe its pretty rare for a living female artist, especially a woman of color, to have such a large retrospective traveling around the country, so I'm excited to see it, rather than art of another dead white guy.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm
The idea of living in a psychiatric hospital but being free to go out to do what motivates you is very attractive.
Depending upon your roommate.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 pm

Spring has sprung in Arkansas! The Lady Elizabeth Banks rose has bloomethed.
IMG_20180409_174416_kindlephoto-761634178.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics ... index.html
This brought a smile to my face for some reason.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/highly ... e-boy/amp/
‘Highly respected’ Alabama evangelist arrested on charges of molesting a teenage boy

An Alabama youth pastor has been arrested on charges of molesting a boy who was a family acquittance, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.

Paul Edward Acton Bowen, 37, lives in Southside, Alabama and was a youth minister. Police had been investigating him for several weeks.

“This is certainly one of the more disturbing cases that we’ve investigated in quite some time,” Hoover police Capt. Gregg Rector told AL.com. “Mr. Bowen is in a highly respected position of influence and he is trusted by many. We believe he betrayed that trust in the worst kind of way.”

Acton Bowen Outreach’s website and Facebook have both been taken down already.
Admission of guilt when social media is taken down.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 pm

http://amp.slate.com/human-interest/201 ... tions.html?
Why It’s a Big Deal That Evangelical Pastor Bill Hybels Just Stepped Down Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations

The accusations against Hybels come from multiple women, including several former employees who spoke on the record with the Chicago Tribune as a part of a major investigation published in March. They accuse the pastor of behavior including flirtatious comments, lingering hugs, and an unwanted kiss. The claims were noteworthy in part because of who made them: multiple employees who went on the record were highly respected within Willow Creek and in some cases had high profiles outside the church. Nancy Beach, the church’s first female teaching pastor, told the Tribune that Hybels repeatedly initiated inappropriate conversations with her over the years and invited her to one-on-one meetings in his home and hotel rooms with no clear professional agenda. Vonda Dyer, another employee, also said Hybels invited her to a hotel room more than once; on a work trip to Sweden, she said, he told her she was “sexy” and kissed her. (One woman, not named in news reports, said she had a long-term affair with Hybels but later recanted her claim in full.)

If Hybels is not a household name outside of evangelicalism, it’s because he is more interested publicly in spiritual topics than politics (although he did serve as a spiritual adviser to President Bill Clinton). But within evangelicalism, his fame and influence are hard to overstate. He founded Willow Creek in 1975, and it has since become one of the largest churches in America. The church now has multiple locations in the Chicago area that together draw 25,000 worshippers every weekend. Hybels also founded a related network of thousands of churches worldwide, and an annual leadership summit that has featured Clinton, Colin Powell, and President Jimmy Carter as speakers.

In the second congregational meeting on Tuesday night, an emotional Hybels confessed only to placing himself in unwise situations, to interactions “that were perceived in ways I did not intend,” and to reacting in anger to the initial set of allegations. He said that some of the stories are misleading and that some are false. But that is very different from saying none of them were true at all. He also did not say he has always been faithful to his wife, whom he barely mentioned. If clear-eyed listeners were hoping for a reason to believe Hybels is beyond reproach, they would have been disappointed.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:40 am

This is why learning history is so very, very important:
The New York Times@nytimes

41% percent of Americans cannot say what Auschwitz was, a survey found

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:44 am

North American Climate Boundary Has Shifted 140 Miles East Due to Global Warming
In the late 1800s, geologist and explorer John Wesley Powell first described a clear boundary running longitudinally through North America along the 100th meridian west that visibly separated the humid eastern part of the continent from the more arid western plains. Now, 140 years later, scientists have confirmed that such a sharp climatic boundary exists and that it is slowly shifting east due to climate change — a change that scientists say could have significant implications on farming in the region.

The new research, published in a pair of studies in the journal Earth Interactions late last month, found the divide is created by three factors: the Rocky Mountains stopping moisture from the Pacific Ocean reaching farther inland, Atlantic winter storms bringing moisture to the eastern half of the U.S., and moisture from the Gulf of Mexico moving north and curving eastward during the summer months. The only other clear, straight divide between humid and arid areas on the globe is the one separating the Sahara Desert from the rest of Africa, climate scientist Richard Seager of Columbia University, lead author of the new papers, said in a statement.

Studying rainfall and temperature data since 1980, Seager and his colleagues found this climatic boundary has already shifted east about 140 miles so that it now sits closer to the 98th meridian. And it will continue to move east as warming global temperatures increase evaporation from the soil and change precipitation patterns, they concluded.

According to a press release by Columbia University’s Earth Institute, “Seager predicts that as drying progresses, farms further and further east will have to consolidate and become larger in order to remain viable. Unless farmers turn to irrigation or otherwise adapt, they will have to turn from corn to wheat or some other more suitable crop. Large expanses of cropland may fail altogether, and have to be converted to western-style grazing range. Water supplies could become a problem for urban areas.”

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:18 am

41% percent of Americans cannot say what Auschwitz was, a survey found
... but 26% thought

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 am

Sluffy! :rotflmao:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Lupin

Post by Lupin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 am

Hello all -- I used to be a regular on Doc Conspiracy's blog.

FYI, at the end of last year, the major French newspaper LE FIGARO (center-right) commissioned a survey on the French’s opinion of Trump.

90% of French people disapproved of Trump vs 78% of Putin, 56% of Macron (last November he hit a slump) and 32% of Merkel.

54% of French people thought Trump reminded then of Marine Le Pen, and thought he was aggressive (87%), racist (81%), dangerous (81%), versus competent (14%).

Extending the sample to a basket of Europeans (French, English, German, Italians, Spanish) barely ticked: 86% disapproval for Trump, 75% for Putin, 45% Macron, 43% Merkel.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Lupin :wave:

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Northland10 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm
Hi Lupin :wave:
:yeah:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Hello, Lupin. :wave:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi Lupin! I always enjoyed your posts at Doc C's. Glad to see you here!

:bighug:

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Lupin

Post by Lupin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 am

Thank you all! You make me feel welcome!

When corresponding with my US friends, I feel like I'm talking to the (then French, now American) Resistance on an antique radio set. :-)

As you can see from the poll above, 90% of us here in France think Trump is awful, and I think 10% are just utterly baffled.

But frankly what I find the most appalling is Congress' inaction in the face of a constant degradation of your country's image & interests abroad, not mentioning what's going on inside your country.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 am

We feel the same way.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 am
We feel the same way.
Some days more than others.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:23 am
Foggy wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:01 am
We feel the same way.
Some days more than others.
Some minutes of everyday more than others.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 am

ABC News

@ABC

Colombia-based security firm develops bulletproof backpacks for children.

The backpacks are designed to look like any other back-to-school gear, but are built to withstand the impact of a bullet.
https://
abcn.ws/2GU1FWc

9:05 AM - Apr 13, 2018
What a world we live in. :(

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:00 am
https:// twitter.com/ABC/status/984794702829547520
ABC News @ABC

Colombia-based security firm develops bulletproof backpacks for children.

The backpacks are designed to look like any other back-to-school gear, but are built to withstand the impact of a bullet.
https://abcn.ws/2GU1FWc

9:05 AM - Apr 13, 2018
What a world we live in. :(
The question to ask, where have the American entrepreneurs been to let a foreign company develop this gadget?

Return to “The Lounge”