Hijack this thread

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:58 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/wonder/ ... vp-AAvvVBZ
Video at link. COOOL pics! BIG peytroglyphs!!!!
See Newly Discovered Ancient Drawings in Peru Desert

Researchers surveying in southern Peru with drones have captured images of ancient geoglyphs. More than 50 of the massive ancient drawings are considered new discoveries by archaeologists. Etched in the ground more than 1,000 years ago, many are worn by time and difficult to see with the human eye. Other geoglyphs, previously known only to local researchers and restored, are seen from the air for the first time. “Tupu” a “needle-like” object used to hold pieces of clothing together. This pelican measures 475 x 108 feet and is one of easier-to-see figures. A flying human is tethered to a monkey. The newfound lines, known as Nasca lines and Paracas lines, are already protected within a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Researchers are working to properly document them.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:28 am

One of the most memorable things I've ever done in my life was to fly over the Nasca lines. I generally like to photograph a lot, but I just concentrated on the experience. They have always fascinated me.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:43 am

Those are amazing. Thanks for posting them here. :thumbs:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:11 am

Didn't know that Trinidad and Tobago had some smaller volcanic activity
Devil's Woodyard mud volcano awakens after 23 years, Trinidad and Tobago
Posted by TW on February 13, 2018

Devil's Woodyard mud volcano awakens after 23 years, Trinidad and Tobago

A new volcanic activity is taking place at Devil's Woodyard mud volcano in Trinidad and Tobago. The last eruption of this volcano took place in 1995, killing 1 person and leaving 31 families homeless.

The first set of eruptions started at approximately 22:00 UTC on February 12. Another eruption took place at 00:20 UTC on February 13, followed by another at 04:52 UTC.

The volcano ejected thick volcanic mud and covered a large area, causing cracks in the ground and damage to concrete footpaths around the volcano. At the time, mud is extending some 45 m (150 feet) in each direction of the crater.

The Ministry of Rural Development and Local Government said that the alert level for the site is currently at level 1 - the lowest on its disaster management scale - which means the volcano is in a state where it poses no immediate danger to human life and there is so far no indication, based on seismic and other tests, that a hazardous eruption is imminent.

https://watchers.news/2018/02/13/devils ... nd-tobago/
small Wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Woodyard

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:43 am

Stress Relief
Just in case you are having a rough day, here is a stress management technique recommended in all the latest psychological tests.

The funny thing is that it works.

1. Picture yourself near a stream in the mountains.

2. Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.

3. No one knows your secret place.

4. You are in total seclusion from the hectic place called the world.

5. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

6. The water is crystal clear.

7. You can easily make out the face of the person you are holding under the water.

See. You're smiling already.

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:50 am

:rotflmao:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 am

This one is not funny.

Our member mighty dawg, who lives in Oregon and came to the 2016 Fogbow Meetup in Baltimore, had a bad accident.

From the Facebook:
Some of you already know that Wednesday afternoon I had a freak accident in my office that severely injured my right knee. Thanks to the outstanding teamwork of Clackamas Fire and American Medical Response (AMR) I was quickly stabilized and expeditiously transported to Kaiser. Friday morning I went through an uneventful and successful surgery. Currently, I am recovering at home. The repair will take a while, but I maintain a positive outlook. Many thanks to all involved who helped put me back together again.
:towel:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:
#pasta

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am

Good wishes for mighty dawg.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:21 am

Have a good recovery, Dawg. We've missed you around here. :bighug:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 am

Foggy wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:53 am
This one is not funny.

Our member mighty dawg, who lives in Oregon and came to the 2016 Fogbow Meetup in Baltimore, had a bad accident.

From the Facebook:
Some of you already know that Wednesday afternoon I had a freak accident in my office that severely injured my right knee. :snippity:
Ah ... the truth comes out about this "freak" accident:

Seriously - get well soon! The team will be missing you. 8-)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Get better soon, mightydawg. Miss your comments! :thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks! It will be a slow but steady recovery.

Cheers!
Dawg

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 pm

:thumbs:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:57 am

http://allthatsinteresting.com/alabama-feces-train
A Train With 10 Million Pounds Of Human Feces Has Been Stuck In An Alabama Town For Almost Two Months
By Kara Goldfarb
Published April 6, 2018
Human feces from New York and New Jersey have been stranded in a tiny town in Alabama.

Parrish, Ala. measures two square miles. And in this Alabaman town, dozens of train cars carrying 10 million pounds of human feces have been stranded for nearly two months.

In a town that small, everything is within smelling distance. Basically, everything reeks.

“You can’t sit out on your porch,” said Parrish’s mayor Heather Hall. “Kids can’t go outside and play. And God help us if it gets hot.” She added, “It greatly reduces the quality of life.”

What makes the situation even worse is that the poop, which is technically biowaste, isn’t even from Alabama. It’s from New York and New Jersey. So what is it doing in Parrish?
I really don't need to tell you to read the rest at the link, do I?

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:18 am

Shit happens ..... :twisted:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:16 am

hahaha! It was parked in Parrish because they lack zoning laws preventing such a thing.

It couldn't stay at its destination because of pending litigation, and it couldn't stay in the next closest town because they brought the suit. So, it had to go someplace with storage track and no zoning laws.

Nobody likes the heavy hand of gummint .... until they need it as a cudgel for their own purposes.

Karnac predicts a busy year on the city council drafting new zoning laws.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am

Ain't that the truth
Bill_G wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:16 am
Nobody likes the heavy hand of gummint .... until they need it as a cudgel for their own purposes.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 am

Addie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am
Ain't that the truth
Bill_G wrote:
I've seen it so many times in our own local politics, it's redunkulous.

A gated community adjacent to a primary school property wanted public funding to open the perimeter fence, and install a sidewalk across a field so their children would have a shorter distance to walk to school. They also wanted a lock on the gate so "those other kids" couldn't walk through their neighborhood. And they opposed placing the new sidewalk within the bike and pedestrian master plan for the area. It was to remain a private sidewalk. hahaha uh No.

Our local conservative activist appears at just about every public hearing with a prepared topic du jour to proselytize the council et al about the evils of government. He has public input for just about everything on the agenda. In one sense that's smart. Oregon Public Meeting Laws give him standing if he ever decides to legally challenge a decision by presenting testimony on a subject. But, he became a nuisance by being so long winded. That is, until he wanted to stop his neighbor - the phone company - from renewing their conditional use permit on their property. Then he was all for every condition he could put on them. From visual blight to noise abatement, he researched every nuance in the code citing very specific sections he wanted applied. It was quite amusing watching him take an entirely different tack straight faced and earnest in using the law to his advantage after hearing him talk about those terrible crafty lawyers, and government lackys stealing from The People. (swoon)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 am

Bill_G wrote:
hahaha! It was parked in Parrish because they lack zoning laws preventing such a thing.

It couldn't stay at its destination because of pending litigation, and it couldn't stay in the next closest town because they brought the suit. So, it had to go someplace with storage track and no zoning laws.

Karnac predicts a busy year on the city council drafting new zoning laws.
I am waiting to hear those zoneing regulations contain a grandfathering clause for all the inhabitants who don't want to close down their outhouse, and the train will stay there invoking said clause..... :twisted:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 am
I am waiting to hear those zoneing regulations contain a grandfathering clause for all the inhabitants who don't want to close down their outhouse, and the train will stay there invoking said clause..... :twisted:
I am waiting for someone down there smart enough to recognize the opportunity, put in a drying and sintering plant, and turn all that waste into organic fertilizer ala Milorganite.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:59 am
I am waiting for someone down there smart enough to recognize the opportunity, put in a drying and sintering plant, and turn all that waste into organic fertilizer ala Milorganite.

I thought of that. If the smell is bad and even toxic, but means jobs, it's all good (see any town with steel or paper mills). No profit? Must eliminate smell!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am
I thought of that. If the smell is bad and even toxic, but means jobs, it's all good (see any town with steel or paper mills). No profit? Must eliminate smell!
Drive along I84 past Twin Falls, Idaho to experience the full effect of the lack of local regulations. Especially on a warm day. The bouquet is powerful. It definitely will clear your tear ducts. When you start seeing the billboards for manure management services, it's too late to turn around. You have been warned.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:07 am
pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am
Drive along I84 past Twin Falls, Idaho to experience the full effect of the lack of local regulations. Especially on a warm day. The bouquet is powerful. It definitely will clear your tear ducts. When you start seeing the billboards for manure management services, it's too late to turn around. You have been warned.
That's exactly the kind of thing Lewis and Clark, and Jefferson, were thinking.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:30 pm

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art has organized a collection of photographs by Paul Fusco. The exhibit tells the story of Robert Kennedy's last journey. There had been the religious services in Manhattan. Kennedy's body was taken by train to Washington where he was to be interred beside his brother. Fusco elegantly captured the grief and respect of a mourning nation.

Many of us who were around when JFK was murdered believe that our world was diminished that day. I now recognize that Robert's death played a role in my loss of hope. President Obama restored that hope despite Congress' behavior.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 am

I just spotted a pickup with some large flag flapping away... in Lake Forest. I could not see the flag well enough to tell what type except it was not an American or W flag (today is supposed to be the Cubs home opener).

Not something you necessarily expect to see in LF.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Return to “The Lounge”