Hijack this thread

GreatGrey

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:26 am
Many of you may wonder how it is I am older than my Father. The answer is easy.
► Show Spoiler
I WAS wondering about exactly that.

Best wishes to the SternPapa.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Congrats to the TFB community, you just cracked the

22'000 posts barrier :thumbs:

on this thread :dance:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 pm
Congrats to the TFB community, you just cracked the

22'000 posts barrier :thumbs:

on this thread :dance:
But still over 30,000 shy of Orly's poopies! :lol:

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Hidden Content

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Hidden Content

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Happy Birthday and wishing you a long life filled with good deeds.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Hidden Content

tek

Post by tek » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Tangled in fishing line and stuck in a flood chute for nearly a week, blue heron rescued

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... river_home

gonna spend the winter at Tufts Wildlife; all his/her buds have flown south.. and gonna be single digits Fahrenheit around here tonight and tomorrow night..

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

vic

Post by vic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Hidden Content

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Hidden Content

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am
SMH. Who wants to buy this for Christmas?
► Show Spoiler
One of my sisters is a professional cake decorator, and she got a wedding cake order for a poo wedding cake.
She can't keep her Mr. Poo cookies in stock, either.

We are a very immature society nowadays.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:47 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 pm
Kendra wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:54 am
SMH. Who wants to buy this for Christmas?
► Show Spoiler
One of my sisters is a professional cake decorator, and she got a wedding cake order for a poo wedding cake.
She can't keep her Mr. Poo cookies in stock, either.

We are a very immature society nowadays.
:yeah:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:54 am

I don't know where to put this but I feel I have to say it. I'm uncomfortable with presumption of guilt in some of these assault cases — not the ones where the issues were well known and there's enough to charge (Weinstein), or there are copious amounts of evidence (Cosby) or admissions (Spacey hasn't denied). I get how hard it is for victims. I'm just not comfortable immediately assuming guilt and pillorying accordingly with every new announcement, or making assumptions. I don't feel better for saying that but felt I had to.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 am

I'm not sure there is a presumption "he did it."

The presumption of innocence is used in criminal cases to allocate the burden of proof (whose component parts are the burden of coming forward and the burden of persuasion). In criminal cases we set the burden of persuasion as "beyond a reasonable doubt" which means little more that "really proven," although there are a lot of linguistic formulations of its meaning.

In every day life we have to make decisions based on the evidence before us, opinions of others, third party reports and hearsay. And we each have our own burden of persuasion. Taking Weinstein as an example, there have been rumors and stories for years, Weinstein has paid off a dozen women before whom he misbehaved, and dozens have come forward. Weinstein has said he's "getting therapy."

Taking a harder case, Roy Moore or Jeremy Piven we have to (as Rumpole's judges usually said in summing up against the accused) "use our common sense." Why does an accuser with nothing to gain except some small amount of vindication and justice, and enormous embarrassment and harassment, come forward. What are his or her motives. Does the story ring true? What corroboration is there? In almost all of these cases I approach it with an open mind. In almost all of these cases I think it is clear the claimed victim was, in fact, a victim.

The bottom line is that you think it through and use the evidence you have. In Moore's case the WaPo story was exquisitely sourced and filled with detail making it clear he had done what it was claimed he did. And then he all but confessed when "cross examined" by Sean Hannity yesterday. Remarkable. In Piven's case, the abomination "Wisdom of the Crowd" is still airing on broadcast TV..

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 am
The bottom line is that you think it through and use the evidence you have. In Moore's case the WaPo story was exquisitely sourced and filled with detail making it clear he had done what it was claimed he did. And then he all but confessed when "cross examined" by Sean Hannity yesterday. Remarkable. In Piven's case, the abomination "Wisdom of the Crowd" is still airing on broadcast TV..
That's why I excluded Weinstein, Cosby, Spacey, etc. There's a preponderance of evidence, or a kind of sort of apology. But I've also seen people (not necessarily here) call the accused vile names before there's more than a hint they may have done something wrong. I feel like it has the potential to move into witch hunt mode, which hurts not only potentially innocent accused, but also victims.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 am

That's why I included Moore and Piven. I don't see a witch hunt.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 am

This is what a witch hunt looks like:
Some of Kennedy's campaign commercials touted his volunteer work, including one that showed him holding hands with children. "We were trying to counter the positives from that ad," a former Rove staffer told me, explaining that some within the See camp initiated a whisper campaign that Kennedy was a pedophile. "It was our standard practice to use the University of Alabama Law School to disseminate whisper-campaign information," the staffer went on. "That was a major device we used for the transmission of this stuff. The students at the law school are from all over the state, and that's one of the ways that Karl got the information out--he knew the law students would take it back to their home towns and it would get out." This would create the impression that the lie was in fact common knowledge across the state. "What Rove does," says Joe Perkins, "is try to make something so bad for a family that the candidate will not subject the family to the hardship. Mark is not your typical Alabama macho, beer-drinkin', tobacco-chewin', pickup-drivin' kind of guy. He is a small, well-groomed, well-educated family man, and what they tried to do was make him look like a homosexual pedophile. That was really, really hard to take."
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... at/238873/

Kennedy was running for re-election as judge in ... Alabama. He was forced to drop out of the race.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm

I never liked Karl Rove before. Now I know why my skin would crawl when seeing his photos or reading his comments. (Shiver.)

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 am

Will someone please explain the Goodreads meltdown thingie?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 pm

tek wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm
Ah yes.. RENs ("Ringer Equivalence Numbers") .. After Ma Bell got over "well no you can't attach ANYTHING AT ALL to your phone line," they got all bent about having you report the REN of any phone you bought and plugged in..

All a pile of crap. It mattered theoretically, but practically naught.

Dave Barry:
I remember when I was in college, and my roommate Rob somehow obtained a phone. It was a Hot Phone. Rob hooked it up to our legal, wall-mounted phone with a long wire, which gave us the capability of calling the pizza-delivery man without getting up off the floor. This capability was essential, many nights. But we lived in fear. Because we knew we were breaking the rule—not a local, state, or federal rule, but a Telephone Company rule—and that any moment, agents of the Telephone Company, accompanied by heavy black dogs, might burst through the door and seize the Hot Phone and write our names down and we would never be allowed to have phone service again. And the dogs would seize our pizza.
There's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in which Worf kills a fellow Klingon despite being yelled at not to. Later, Picard tells him there will be a mark on his record. No! Not the dreaded mark on his record! I lived in fear of those. And I never stabbed anyone in the throat with a bat'leth.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Is there really such a thing as a record? I've always wondered. Surely there's no record that follows you all the way from kindergarten through university - that people can call on at will to see that, when you were in the 10th grade, the chemistry teacher sent you to the vice principal's office for insubordination. (Not that that ever happened to me, of course. And when it didn't happen to me, I certainly did not escape punishment because the vice principal was my best friend's father.)

Things may have changed, but 20 years ago when I moved to Australia, even my credit report didn't follow me over.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm
Is there really such a thing as a record? I've always wondered. Surely there's no record that follows you all the way from kindergarten through university - that people can call on at will to see that, when you were in the 10th grade, the chemistry teacher sent you to the vice principal's office for insubordination. (Not that that ever happened to me, of course. And when it didn't happen to me, I certainly did not escape punishment because the vice principal was my best friend's father.)

Things may have changed, but 20 years ago when I moved to Australia, even my credit report didn't follow me over.
There may be in some fields, e.g., the military (so that would make sense on Star Trek, but I crack up when I see that scene because, seriously, Picard? He killed someone against orders and there'll be a "mark"?). But I remember "mark on your record" being held over kids' heads like it was the ultimate shame.

I doubt my school has any record of my existence, let alone of the things I didn't do in the same way you didn't, like rude jokes.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am

My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.

If dogs run free, why not we?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am
My high school had my record when I called 6 years later and asked them to send my transcript to Georgetown University. The lady looked at the transcript and said "You'll never get in that school." I fooled her, though.
But was it a transcript, or a record of every time you did something naughty, like all the times you interrupted the teacher to say, "I say, I say, I say boy"?

Return to “The Lounge”