Hijack this thread

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 am

We had to make an insurance claim when the a/c guys didn't attach the drain pipe right in the attic and it soaked the ceiling and caved it in on top of a bunch of stuff stored in that room. I had to make a list, with photos, serial #s, and a value for everything we claimed on. It wasn't too horrible even though the insurance adjuster had an issue with the value of the 6 original Eames chairs that sat under wet insulation for 3 days. After his investigation, they ultimately valued them at about $400 more than I had.

Deep breaths, and begin making plans to move Auntie Fester down there so you can be out of the basement. :)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:00 pm

Jez - I'm so sorry to hear about your water catastrophe. Regarding your water-damaged possessions: get the model/make/serial numbers of your electronics, take pictures of everything, use google and reverse image search online to help identify current value and condition. That way you'll know if the adjuster's estimate is fair or not.

I suggest your friend purchase a small, fairly inexpensive pond pump to use as an emergency backup for the sump pump, because failure is, alas, something that sump pumps often do. Depending on the gallons-per-minute capacity, a pond pump will run as little as $20 to $100+. Buy the pump and a length of drain hose that fits the pump's output nozzle. If this happens again, she can drop it in/next to the sump hole, run the drain hose to the nearest drain, then plug it in and let it do its thing. I'd also buy a shop vac and keep it in the basement to help suck up the mess after water incursions. The big box stores will be running them on special for Black Friday, so she can get a decent one for $50-$75.

Hopefully your friend is covered, but don't be surprised if she's not, because homeowners policies usually don't cover flood damage. If she's not, do everything you can to get the water and waterlogged stuff out of there asap, so the basement can be dried out.

Hugs and sympathy. Been there, done that, and for way too many years, until I finally got it taken care of as a two-stage DIY project.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:07 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:00 pm
Jez - I'm so sorry to hear about your water catastrophe. Regarding your water-damaged possessions: get the model/make/serial numbers of your electronics, take pictures of everything, use google and reverse image search online to help identify current value and condition. That way you'll know if the adjuster's estimate is fair or not.

I suggest your friend purchase a small, fairly inexpensive pond pump to use as an emergency backup for the sump pump, because failure is, alas, something that sump pumps often do. Depending on the gallons-per-minute capacity, a pond pump will run as little as $20 to $100+. Buy the pump and a length of drain hose that fits the pump's output nozzle. If this happens again, she can drop it in/next to the sump hole, run the drain hose to the nearest drain, then plug it in and let it do its thing. I'd also buy a shop vac and keep it in the basement to help suck up the mess after water incursions. The big box stores will be running them on special for Black Friday, so she can get a decent one for $50-$75.

Hopefully your friend is covered, but don't be surprised if she's not, because homeowners policies usually don't cover flood damage. If she's not, do everything you can to get the water and waterlogged stuff out of there asap, so the basement can be dried out.

Hugs and sympathy. Been there, done that, and for way too many years, until I finally got it taken care of as a two-stage DIY project.
Thanks for the pond pump idea. And yes, she is covered. The water wasn't caused by flooding, per se. It was caused by massive downpours and the sump pump just couldn't keep up and died, so she is covered. The only thing we have right now is that we probably can't get someone out here until Thursday to pump the water out.

I have pictures of everything as it stands in the water. I'll have to get serial numbers and stuff once the water is out. Thankfully I transferred my renters insurance, so am covered for my stuff. It's mostly the electronics and a couch. The rest is negligible and I'll be able to replace if I need to.

We're taking this all one step at a time. I'm trying to be the strong one. Bless Ais' heart but she can fall apart easily under stress. So, I'm keeping her on track and trying not to curl into a ball myself.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:48 pm

At a previous job I was in charge of our fleet of cars, and accidents were common. I learned that is why you have insurance - to let them do the worrying for you. So sit back, grab a favourable beverage, and take a deep breath. Let them deal with it, and let them do the worrying for you. You'll be fine - you've got this!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Jez, this isn’t your bad luck per se, it’s the homeowner’s. You have an opportunity here to replace some old stuff. 😀 (Sorry, Pollyanna gets out sometimes. I’ve put her back in the basement.)

Look on eBay, Craig’s list for items similar to what you will replace, to get an idea. Accept the insurance guy’s suggested value unless it’s way out of the ballpark of your cursory research. Don’t overthink. Whatever you do will be the right...and the wrong...thing, so just relax. :mrgreen:

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:31 pm

kate520 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm
Jez, this isn’t your bad luck per se, it’s the homeowner’s. You have an opportunity here to replace some old stuff. 😀 (Sorry, Pollyanna gets out sometimes. I’ve put her back in the basement.)

Look on eBay, Craig’s list for items similar to what you will replace, to get an idea. Accept the insurance guy’s suggested value unless it’s way out of the ballpark of your cursory research. Don’t overthink. Whatever you do will be the right...and the wrong...thing, so just relax. :mrgreen:
What kate said. Sounds like you all have pretty much got this covered.

Plus. also. too. I do agree with Sugar on this:
Deep breaths, and begin making plans to move Auntie Fester down there so you can be out of the basement. :)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm

The day before I went to Portland last week, my car started making funny noises. I left it at the garage.

I got a text from Supermechanic Steve that said...Call your husband first, then your insurance guy. :shock: That funny noise was a plastic cup tiny mice had pulled into the battery fan housing. They had also chewed nearly completely through the wiring harness for the hybrid battery. Initial estimate to replace: $5k. :shock: :shock:

Mice are considered a force majeure or an act of God :geek: where this is concerned so we only pay the tiny deductible. :thumbs: Plus, they had chewed the wires to the CD/radio arrangement so it wouldn’t play anymore, so I get a new one with Bluetooth in the bargain.

Insurance can be your friend. Just not necessarily health insurance.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:58 pm

The only thing we have right now is that we probably can't get someone out here until Thursday to pump the water out.
If you have a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or even a garden center in the vicinity, call them and find out if they still have any pond or fountain pumps in stock (they might have clearanced them for the season). If you can get your hands on one before Thursday, you can get started getting rid of the water. If you do get one, note how high it can lift the water and make sure it can handle your needs. For example, you could get by with a four-foot lift if you're just going to pump the water into the laundry sink, but you might need an eight- or ten-foot lift if you're going to pump it through the foundation wall and out onto the lawn. Also check the size drain hose it uses and buy the appropriate hose or tubing (which is often sold by the foot and attaches to the pump with a simple hose clamp).

Good luck!

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Jez, I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck! I hope it all works out for you!

A lot of my hometown here in Indiana is located in a floodplain. For this reason, a lot of people have two sump pumps if they are using their basement for housing or storing valuables, because they do fail or get overwhelmed. Your friend might want to consider that.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Talked to my dad earlier today. He suggested a Siphon pump. You can just attach garden hoses to it and it doesn't have the lift limits most fountain pumps have. So, we are probably going to invest in one of those and keep it handy in case something like this happens again.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the advice. Right now we are only thinking 2 steps at a time. Step 1: Get water out of basement. Hopefully that will be by Wednesday afternoon. Step 2: Get the Sump Pump fixed.

Once those steps are done, we'll figure it out.

*hugs* I love you guys. :)

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 am

My apologies if this has been posted before. It is the Terrorist Color Chart for Tabloid Journalists.
https://i.redd.it/d6tzypfglcwz.jpg
Color Chart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 am

The US version of that chart would have Thug somewhere in the bottom row.

tek

Post by tek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Jez wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm
Talked to my dad earlier today. He suggested a Siphon pump. You can just attach garden hoses to it and it doesn't have the lift limits most fountain pumps have. So, we are probably going to invest in one of those and keep it handy in case something like this happens again.
"siphon" usually means the outlet has to be lower than the inlet.. which assumes facts not in evidence.

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:45 pm

nope. it doesn't flow at 900 gallons per hour if it's going up hill (so to speak) but it does work. My father used it in the basement when he had some water and ran the hose out a window. That was about a 6 -7 ft lift. It should work fine.

Water will be removed tomorrow morning, along with a temp sump put in if the old one is entirely trashed. It's also possible it's just a breaker issue, but with the way my luck has been going, I don't need my hair to curl anymore than it already is. :)

~Khalil Gibran

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:46 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm
Jez wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 pm
"siphon" usually means the outlet has to be lower than the inlet.. which assumes facts not in evidence.
He might be talking about a transfer pump. But those have lift limits, too. All pumps do. How much water a pump can lift and how high it can lift it depends on the pump's power and flow rate, and hose diameter, too, to a lesser extent, in that using a narrower-gauge drain hose will enable the pump to lift higher while lifting less output in terms of gallons per minute.

The advantage of a transfer pump is that it needn't be submerged while pumping. A fountain pump might need to be immersed within a minimum of 2-4 inches of water, where a transfer pump doesn't sit in the water, the intake hose does. The intake hose can usually continue to suction even down to a half-inch level of water or less.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm

It's a tidal wave! The GOP is getting its ass handed to it. At least in Virginia.

:fiesta: :winner: :fiesta: :happyfamily: :flag: :mbounce: :bar:
Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Another upset. Hala Ayala (R) has unseated Del. Rich Anderson (R) in Prince William County's #HD51. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING: In an upset, Lee Carter (D) has unseated Del. Jackson Miller (R) in Manassas's #HD50. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 4m4 minutes ago

BREAKING: Kathy Tran (D) has defeated Lolita Mancheno-Smoak (R) in Fairfax County's #HD42. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 6m6 minutes ago

BREAKING: David Reid (D) has unseated Del. Tag Greason (R) in Fairfax County's #HD32. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 7m7 minutes ago

BREAKING: Elizabeth Guzman (D) has unseated Del. Scott Lingamfelter (R) in Prince William County's #HD31. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 9m9 minutes ago

Wow. Surveying the down-ballot wreckage for Republicans in VA. It's not pretty. Democratic wave. Details to come...

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 12m12 minutes ago

BREAKING: In an upset, Wendy Gooditis (D) has unseated Del. Randy Minchew (R) in outer Loudoun County's #HD10. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 14m14 minutes ago

BREAKING: Jennifer Foy (D) has defeated Mike Makee (R) in Prince William County's #HD02. Dem pickup.

Dave Wasserman‏Verified account @Redistrict 17m17 minutes ago

BREAKING: Danica Roem (D) has defeated 26-year Del. Bob Marshall (R) in #HD13, becoming the first transgender person elected to VA's state legislature.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:53 pm

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm

I resemble that fungus.

Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Topher Spiro @TopherSpiro
Medicaid expansion in Maine is up 54 to 46 in *rural* districts. Liberal Portland has not yet reported. This victory would be a massive signal.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 pm

:commiesmall: Hey all you commies! Are you again out on the roads today?
RUSSIA'S OCTOBER REVOLUTION ANNIVERSARY IS MARKED IN NOVEMBER: HERE'S WHY
BY DAMIEN SHARKOV ON 11/6/17 AT 6:50 AM

Russia will mark 100 years since its 1917 October Revolution on Tuesday—which, confusingly, is November 7.

It goes without saying that a great deal changed when Vladimir Lenin led the Bolsheviks in their overthrow of the Russian state on 25 October, 1917, not least the fact that from then on the anniversary of 'Red October' would be marked in November.

That is because prior to 1917, the Russian Empire and its Tsars followed Eastern Orthodox Christianity in contrast to Western Christian nations, which retained an allegiance to Rome. The primary reason for this split, bizarrely, was due to calendars.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-russias-oct ... ber-702424

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm

In the first line of the Virgina returns, Haya Ayala should be listed as a Democrat.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 pm

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pm

Jerry Falwell
@JerryFalwellJr
·
30m
DC should annex NOVA and return the governance of VA to Virginians! The founders intended DC to include all fed employees who are conflicted

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:57 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pm
Jerry Falwell
@JerryFalwellJr
·
30m
DC should annex NOVA and return the governance of VA to Virginians! The founders intended DC to include all fed employees who are conflicted

Needs to read Article 1 Section 8 of the Constitution.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Return to “The Lounge”