Hijack this thread

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Volky - does my guest room have a separate entrance to the patio? Is the margarita bar close by?

Just asking. :daydream:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I've always wanted to run into that crew from Lowes and have them do my yard for free. The only barrier is that I own Milwaukee tools.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Milwaukee makes good stuff. Still.

Not like some.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Volky - does my guest room have a separate entrance to the patio? Is the margarita bar close by?

I thought your guest room was at his place in Long Guyland.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:Volky - does my guest room have a separate entrance to the patio? Is the margarita bar close by?

Currently working on getting the Texas cockroaches under control in the guestroom. Some of the larger ones have barricaded themselves in the closet but we have a battering ram on order. :thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Volkonski wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:

Currently working on getting the Texas cockroaches under control in the guestroom. Some of the larger ones have barricaded themselves in the closet but we have a battering ram on order. :thumbs:
Geez, Volky, send the kitty cats after them. :thor:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:32 pm

magdalen77 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:
This is Texas. The roaches are bigger than the cats. ;)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Texas cockroaches. Do they wait politely at intersections for the walk signal then hop off the curb and cross the street, like the Florida cockroaches...sorry, Floridians, I know you hate us calling them cockroaches. They're Palmettos bugs! :roll: - do?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Volkonski wrote:
magdalen77 wrote: Geez, Volky, send the kitty cats after them. :thor:
List of more reasons not to go to Texas:

1. 12 lb cockroaches.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:41 pm

My Mom's kitty kat can chase down and kill any bug - even those big ones from Texas and Florida! I should get video of it, she's rather impressive. My sweet kitty just pushes at them a little bit and then walks away.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Coal miners going with the trend of time (someone tell Teh Donald!)
Kentucky Coal Mining Museum converts to solar power

By Sarah Anderson | Posted: Thu 11:09 AM, Apr 06, 2017 | Updated: Thu 11:55 AM, Apr 06, 2017

BENHAM, Ky. (WYMT) - An unlikely building is switching to solar powered energy.

The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum in Benham is owned by Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College. Communications Director Brandon Robinson told WYMT, they're hoping to save money by the switch.

"We believe that this project will help save at least eight to ten thousand dollars, off the energy costs on this building alone, so it's a very worthy effort and it's going to save the college money in the long run," said Robinson.

The work began Tuesday to power the energy, not by coal, but by the sun.

"It is a little ironic," said Robinson, "But you know, coal and solar and all the different energy sources work hand-in-hand. And, of course, coal is still king around here."

Robinson said the project was funded through an outside foundation. It cost thousands of dollars, but Tre Sexton, the owner of the company installing the panels, believes the result will pay for itself.
http://www.wymt.com/content/news/Kentuc ... 30563.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Volkonski wrote:
magdalen77 wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
:jawdrop:

Sorry I won't be able to make it, Volky. The drawbridge is stuck again. Dammit!

phelana

Post by phelana » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:36 pm

phelana wrote:
kate520 wrote:Good luck phelana!

Looking forward to hearing your story when you're ready.
It's not that I'm not ready. My job & hubs job were at the same location. I feel I need to be careful. So maybe a PM grouping will get it done. Working on tax stuff now.

And I'm costuming again. My life has lots of netting and pearls right now. With all the snow storms we're a bit behind. I like costuming though. It's a good creative outlet.
Hello again. Haven't been by much. The play finished. Because I knew next to nothing about millnery, I didn't make the hat properly. Because I didn't make the hat properly, I made an insanely durable hat. They play tug a war with it. Not a single pearl fell off. The snood...Not so well but nothing that couldn't be fixed between performances.

If you're wondering about the play...They sing Too Darn Hot.

Now back to real life. I've passed the written test, the typing test and now have an interview for a law enforcement agency. So life is looking up a bit.
Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:40 pm

NRA Employee Accidentally Shoots Himself At Association Headquarters

Not Wayne LaPierre, sadly.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/n ... ot-himself
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 pm

RVInit wrote:My Mom's kitty kat can chase down and kill any bug - even those big ones from Texas and Florida! I should get video of it, she's rather impressive. My sweet kitty just pushes at them a little bit and then walks away.
My cat Gremelchki (RIP) would have smoked a joint with a cockroach.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
RVInit wrote:My Mom's kitty kat can chase down and kill any bug - even those big ones from Texas and Florida! I should get video of it, she's rather impressive. My sweet kitty just pushes at them a little bit and then walks away.
My cat Gremelchki (RIP) would have smoked a joint with a cockroach.
Princess Spunky would have run to get Mom to come kill the beastie. And Mom would have happily done so. :boxing:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:54 pm

"Nacodoches is full of roaches." -The Marx Brothers
X3

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm

RoadScholar wrote:"Nacodoches is full of roaches." -The Marx Brothers
Actually just Julius Henry Marx in 1912 (not yet Groucho). :-D

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 am

Volkonski wrote:
It's more complicated than that. The Texas town is Nacogdoches. The Louisiana town is Natchitoches. Both have small colleges, and they are "sister cities." Natchitoches is the oldest permanent settlement within the bounds of the Louisiana Purchase, and Nacogdoches was a settlement site of the Caddo Native Americans at least 10,000 years ago. The latter is a beautiful little city. Look for azaleas. If you or Julius Henry Marx wish to visit the area, I recommend Jefferson, Texas, the town that turned Jay Gould down. His railroad car is on exhibit there. I recommend the Lady Bird Johnson room in the Excelsior House Hotel.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Volkonski wrote:
It's more complicated than that. The Texas town is Nacogdoches. The Louisiana town is Natchitoches. Both have small colleges, and they are "sister cities." Natchitoches is the oldest permanent settlement within the bounds of the Louisiana Purchase, and Nacogdoches was a settlement site of the Caddo Native Americans at least 10,000 years ago. The latter is a beautiful little city. Look for azaleas. If you or Julius Henry Marx wish to visit the area, I recommend Jefferson, Texas, the town that turned Jay Gould down. His railroad car is on exhibit there. I recommend the Lady Bird Johnson room in the Excelsior House Hotel.
What a coincidence, Tolland! I just discovered Jefferson as a possible vacation spot for my two young granddaughters! It is near my aging mother-in-law's home in Camden, AR, so she can meet her greatgrands! It is halfway between our son's home and ours. It has lakes, a small railway, and boats and other fun stuff for little ones!
ETA Natchitoches is pretty. Back in the day I went to a reading seminar there.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:06 am

The Lady Bird Johnson room is for 18+ only, but the Excelsior has other rooms. It is a romantic place managed with East Texas charm.

I regret that I found Jefferson only after I had left East Texas. That town and my hometown (Tyler) had the gumption to face down powerfully seductive offers so that they could remain what they were. Tyler then suffered the unpreventable wealth of the nearby East Texas Oil Field. (But it kept my father out of World War II.)
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:09 am

TollandRCR wrote:The Lady Bird Johnson room is for 18+ only, but the Excelsior has other rooms. It is a romantic place managed with East Texas charm.

I regret that I found Jefferson only after I had left East Texas. That town and my hometown (Tyler) had the gumption to face down powerfully seductive offers so that they could remain what they were. Tyler then suffered the unpreventable wealth of the nearby East Texas Oil Field. (But it kept my father out of World War II.)
I went to Tyler with my Mom. Loved the Rose Museum.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:20 am

Roses were one of the farmers' last hopes; tomatoes were another. Cotton exhausts the soil. Tyler farmers chose roses; Jacksonville farmers chose tomatoes. For a long time Tyler farmers produced most of the field-grown rose plants in the U.S. Blooms were superfluous and bothersome, so for many years I bought a dozen roses for 50 cents from roadside sellers. Jacksonville now has huge greenhouses that produce a large quantity of spring flowers for big retailers. They also have sound cannons from Germany to prevent hailstorms. I never knew whether those worked, although my MD stepfather thought they had prevented hail on his ranch.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Volkonski wrote:
I read they added the line to their traveling vaudeville routine after being treated poorly in Nacodoches. Wasn't their act called The Marx Brothers back then? Maybe not, that's where my memory starts running on fumes.
X3

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:44 pm

RoadScholar wrote:I read they added the line to their traveling vaudeville routine after being treated poorly in Nacodoches. Wasn't their act called The Marx Brothers back then? Maybe not, that's where my memory starts running on fumes.
Which one of those places was it?

Return to “The Lounge”