Hijack this thread

gatsby

Hijack this thread

Post by gatsby »

Yay! I'm happy to see that @[member='nbc'] has returned to The Fogbow after a six-week absence. He posted on Wednesday.

nbc is one of the few Fogbowers who shares my obsession with Rod Class and his recordings.

listeme

Hijack this thread

Post by listeme »

Shit we're a bunch of old :geezer: :geezer: :oldlady: :oldlady:

Speak for yourself, Old Man. Fiber arts are trendy.

VERY trendy!

I have a spinning wheel and some promised lessons, and a spindle coming if I ever get out of this driveway again.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Addie

Hijack this thread

Post by Addie »

Give 'em hell, Fogs. :D

I was elected to the State Executive Committee of the North Carolina Democratic Party. Tomorrow in Pittsboro we're electing a new chairperson for the state party. I'll be there all day.

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB »

Is that like the North Carolina Politburo? :)
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

GreatGrey

Hijack this thread

Post by GreatGrey »

Shit we're a bunch of old :geezer: :geezer: :oldlady: :oldlady:

Speak for yourself, Old Man. Fiber arts are trendy.Fiber arts?

I bought some strings the other night, but they come with a guitar attached.
Sekrit Stuffs!
A Fender David Gilmour Stratocaster
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sterngard Friegen

Hijack this thread

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Give 'em hell, Fogs. :D

I was elected to the State Executive Committee of the North Carolina Democratic Party. Tomorrow in Pittsboro we're electing a new chairperson for the state party. I'll be there all day.

Chairman Foggy? 8>

Volkonski

Hijack this thread

Post by Volkonski »

Shit we're a bunch of old :geezer: :geezer: :oldlady: :oldlady: Speak for yourself, Old Man. Fiber arts are trendy.Art made out of fibers by older Volkonski daughter.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB »

I can sculpt little mountains of Metamucil at the bottom of the glass before I pour in the juice. ;)

Closest I get... :o

esseff44

Hijack this thread

Post by esseff44 »

Turbo Tax is not going to file any more state returns for awhile. Some people have found that someone else had already filed and gotten their refund instead of the legitimate taxpayer.

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2015/02/0 ... x-returns/

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Post by SueDB »

More bad news for a company that had been one of the flagships.

ducktape

Hijack this thread

Post by ducktape »

Yet another company that didn't maintain its security, and this was one dealing with some of the most sensitive data.

Serves the SOBs right, IMO. They have been lobbying against simplified tax forms and filings for years, and this year people who had been using them for years suddenly found they would have to upgrade to the Pro version to get the schedules required.

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Post by Whatever4 »

http://www.zdnet.com/article/anthem-hac ... right-now/

We're victims of the massive Anthem security breach, so I'm pretty paranoid about identity theft at the moment. I've been using Turbotax for 12 years now; not sure I even know how to do my state taxes.

I put security freezes on 2 of the three credit bureaus, at $10 per person per bureau. (Equifax kept having problems.) Credit alerts on one because it was easy. Going to set limits on CC transactions.

Good thing this happened after I set up accounts and closed others in dealing with Wmom's finances.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

ducktape

Hijack this thread

Post by ducktape »

To make matters worse on Anthem, my partner and I are former Anthem customers and our records were probably breached as well -- but if you are not a current customer member, they don't have anything to say to you.

mimi

Hijack this thread

Post by mimi »

Turbo Tax is not going to file any more state returns for awhile. Some people have found that someone else had already filed and gotten their refund instead of the legitimate taxpayer.

http://blog.sfgate.com/pender/2015/02/0 ... x-returns/

The link says they've resumed e-filing state returns.

As for the rest of it, I don't know if they'll ever be able to secure information. And even if you don't do anything online, chances are, you'll be the victim of identity theft at some point.

They better start catching some of these guys and prosecuting them. And then sentence them to more than a few months.

This stuff has me steamed on a regular basis anymore. :angry:

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Post by magdalen77 »

I can sculpt little mountains of Metamucil at the bottom of the glass before I pour in the juice. ;)

Closest I get... :o

I'm a pretty bad ass crocheter. :D

Slarti the White

Hijack this thread

Post by Slarti the White »

This guy was hanging around outside my aunt and uncle's at lunch yesterday so my uncle shot him...

...with his camera.

[deleted attachments]
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Slarti the White

Hijack this thread

I forgot to mention that he is a sharp-shinned hawk (Accipiter striatus) and the picture was taken in Ann Arbor, MI. We had chili for lunch too also. And ice cream with home-made chocolate syrup (or maybe fudge--it was pretty thick). It was yummy. Not sure what the hawk had, but my aunt and uncle said that the medium-sized birds (like bluejays) that frequent their yard have been absent since he started dropping by...
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

kate520

Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 »

Purty bird. How can you tell his shins are sharp from far away?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Slarti the White

Hijack this thread

Honestly, I didn't see its shins (I suspect I wouldn't want to have any business that near the talons anyway...), but that's what my uncle's bird book said so I figured somebody probably checked. The pictures look the same too also.

:towel:

Roboe

Hijack this thread

Post by Roboe »

Nothing like a bit of a snowstorm to throw a spanner in the works in the biathlon world cup.

The leader before that had a 45 second lead going into the shooting, had 3 misses and came out 45 seconds behind the new leader. Just a shame the US biathlete I'm rooting for had two misses in the first shooting, causing her to drop back 20 places. She's made up 10 places or so, but with the snow causing mayhem amongst the other racers, she could have made it to a top 5-6 spot.

Northland10

Hijack this thread

Post by Northland10 »

I forgot to mention that he is a sharp-shinned hawk (Accipiter striatus) and the picture was taken in Ann Arbor, MI. We had chili for lunch too also. And ice cream with home-made chocolate syrup (or maybe fudge--it was pretty thick). It was yummy. Not sure what the hawk had, but my aunt and uncle said that the medium-sized birds (like bluejays) that frequent their yard have been absent since he started dropping by...

It actually looks like a juvenile red-tailed hawk. They are rather common in Michigan, at least on the western side of the state. Just his presence probably keeps the smaller birds away.

One Sunday morning, I noticed a hawk sitting at the top of the chimney of the nearby Masonic lodge. The chimney swifts flying around were not happy.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

RTH10260

Hijack this thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Nothing like a bit of a snowstorm to throw a spanner in the works in the biathlon world cup.

Considering that biathlon is derived from war time challenges, why are wars not only fought in good weather?

Slarti the White

Hijack this thread

Don't tell Foggy it was a chickenhawk! :shock:

Seriously, they look similar, but, having seen it live along with a picture in an ornithology book, I think it was really a sharp-shinned hawk. Ann Arbor is on the northern edge of their winter range (but the eastern side of Michigan) and its chest plumage looked a little different than the red-tailed hawk's. Too also, small birds were around in normal numbers (and apparently unconcerned, being either maneuverable enough to avoid it or small enough to not make a worthwhile meal), it was just the bigger snacks... er... birds that didn't seem to be around.

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Post by magdalen77 »

I'm still resting. Yesterday was a very busy day. We were on the go from 7 AM until 11 PM. Today will be less exciting. We have the cable and phone guy coming at 3 (well 3 to 5, but they're usually pretty good at showing up the earlier time). So, we probably ought to get a couple of phones for him to hook up. :)

So far we have one bed, a TV, lots of small appliances for the kitchen, a vacuum, all of the cleaning stuff and the bathroom has a mat, shower curtain, toilet brush and a trash can. I was able to go grocery shopping so we have a semi-filled refrigerator (came with apartment). We're waiting for dishes and flatware, so I got some plasticware to tide us over. At least we can eat cereal and drink coffee or juice. The man and I bought some more clothes yesterday. I got a nightgown and slippers, yay.

With the replacement stuff that we still have to get from friends and relatives we should be pretty good, at least for furniture and kitchen stuff by the end of this week.

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Post by magdalen77 »

Obviously it will be a long time until we replace all of our shoes and clothing. The man especially had a lot of very nice leather jackets, wool coats and suits. Most of my stuff was the typical Lane Bryant or Catherine's stuff. Not exactly cheap, but nothing unique or particularly hard to replace.

Return to “The Lounge”