kate520

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by kate520 »

Foggy wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm
Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm
Get better soon, Princess. :bighug:
Yeah, what Addie said. I'm glad it was successful and over with before I even had a chance to stress about it. :daydream:
Yes to all that AND you are so lucky to have each other!! Take good care, Princess and the SECR. :lovestruck: :bighug:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

CBS Sunday Morning wrote:Aircraft carrier to be named after Pearl Harbor hero
19 Jan 2020

Instead of presidents or admirals, an African American enlisted sailor – a hero during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor – will be honored when the USS Doris Miller is christened. David Martin talks with Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly, who broke with tradition to name the next Navy aircraft carrier after an enlisted man, and with relatives of Doris "Dorie" Miller, who was not initially recognized for his valor on that "Day of Infamy."

CBS Sunday Morning wrote:A Pearl Harbor hero finally recognized
3 Dec 2017

David Martin marks the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor with a report on a long-unsung hero of that day: Boatswain's Mate Second Class Joseph L. George, whose actions saved the lives of six crewmen from the flaming hulk of the USS Arizona, but whose identity was unknown for decades.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:shock:
Doomsday Clock is now 100 seconds to midnight, the closest since the Cold War

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doomsday-c ... d=81119485
The new symbolic time was announced Thursday by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which has set the clock for nearly 75 years. In a press release, the organization said it moved clock 20 seconds closer to midnight — "closer to apocalypse than ever" — because of a "new willingness of political leaders to reject the negotiations and institutions that can protect civilization over the long term."

"In so doing, board members are explicitly warning leaders and citizens around the world that the international security situation is now more dangerous than it has ever been, even at the height of the Cold War."

The clock has now ticked down past the time set in 1953, when both the United States and the Soviet Union were testing hydrogen bombs.

At the end of the Cold War, the clock was set 17 minutes from midnight.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... y-collapse
Three months after the partial collapse of the Hard Rock hotel construction site on the tip of New Orleans’s historic French Quarter, a macabre reminder of the tragedy that claimed three lives was visible to passersby this week.

Among the collapsed building’s twisted remains and rubble, the dangling legs of a wedged corpse were revealed to the public after a tarpaulin sheet covering the body was blown away by wind.
Hard Rock Hotel collapse reminds New Orleans of undocumented workers' plight
Read more

The gruesome sight came as city officials are scrambling to dismantle the 18-storey, 350-room hotel, which remains an eyesore and still holds the trapped remains of two workers, Quinnyon Wimberly and José Ponce Arreola.

After images of the exposed corpse provoked outrage on social media, city firefighters installed a new tarp on Wednesday afternoon. As of Thursday morning the covering remained intact, as police maintained a heavy presence around the collapsed building.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao:

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well done!

Jez

Post by Jez »

Glad things went well!

:thumbs: :lovestruck:
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Jez

Post by Jez »

Danraft wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am
Jez wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am
For the first time since I found out I wasn't actually allergic to shellfish, I had some shrimp.

I don't like it.

Wasn't the texture or anything like that. According to my roommate, who is the afficiando of all things shrimp, it was very tasty and good. So yeah. I do not like shrimp.

I remember loving crab and lobster though. That will be the experiment in dining.
Ok. This is a story I'd like to hear if you want to tell it?
Long story short:

A couple of decades ago, I had some shellfish. Had a reaction to something (closing throat, hard to breathe, swelling tongue, etc.) Figured it was the shrimp I was eating at the time. A few years later, similar reaction after having some steamed mussels in San Francisco. So, swore off shellfish and just didn't chance cross contamination. Empirical evidence (personal experience) suggested allergy.

A few weeks ago, since I have now have excellent medical insurance, I decided to have allergy testing done so I definitively know what to avoid food wise (and other environmental triggers). I am officially (per the doc) allergic to:
  • Soybeans
  • Almonds
  • Cashews
  • Brazil Nuts
  • Hawthorne
  • Sycamore
  • Dustmites
No shellfish. He even ran a more definitive blood test. Nope. Nothing. So, I have no clue what caused the reactions all those years ago. Just know it wasn't the shrimp or mussels.

But, the soy was a huge surprise but it does explain some of the "intestinal" issues I've been having the last few years. I've been actively reading labels to avoid anything soy related. Do you have any idea how much stuff has soy in it? Even bread is commonly baked using Soybean Oil! Many of my favorites are now on my "No Go" list. I'm trying to fine substitutes, but it's difficult. On the flip side I'm eating much fresher since processed food invariably has soy of some kind in it.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Glad you got tested. "Now you know and knowing is half the battle! GI Joe!"
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I always recommend a bread machine for those with allergies. The basic 1 cup warm H2O with 2T yeast and 2 T sugar, 3 cups flour (whole wheat no more than half), T salt, and whatever--oatmeal etc... Always good and you can get specific with a scale (cupbof flour weighs 5z) but, you're right-- bread has been commercialized.
Plus, I love the the smell.

I've known allergies to come and go, even getting allergies to strawberries after pregnancy.
Mussels and shrimp are both pretty high and iodine which can be an intermittent sensitivity.
Thyroid gland, forebrain, and lungs evolved simultaneously and still mingle through homeobox gene sets, so life stage changes would be expected.

Jez wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 am
Danraft wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am
Jez wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am
For the first time since I found out I wasn't actually allergic to shellfish, I had some shrimp.

I don't like it.

Wasn't the texture or anything like that. According to my roommate, who is the afficiando of all things shrimp, it was very tasty and good. So yeah. I do not like shrimp.

I remember loving crab and lobster though. That will be the experiment in dining.
Ok. This is a story I'd like to hear if you want to tell it?
Long story short:

A couple of decades ago, I had some shellfish. Had a reaction to something (closing throat, hard to breathe, swelling tongue, etc.) Figured it was the shrimp I was eating at the time. A few years later, similar reaction after having some steamed mussels in San Francisco. So, swore off shellfish and just didn't chance cross contamination. Empirical evidence (personal experience) suggested allergy.

A few weeks ago, since I have now have excellent medical insurance, I decided to have allergy testing done so I definitively know what to avoid food wise (and other environmental triggers). I am officially (per the doc) allergic to:
  • Soybeans
  • Almonds
  • Cashews
  • Brazil Nuts
  • Hawthorne
  • Sycamore
  • Dustmites
No shellfish. He even ran a more definitive blood test. Nope. Nothing. So, I have no clue what caused the reactions all those years ago. Just know it wasn't the shrimp or mussels.

But, the soy was a huge surprise but it does explain some of the "intestinal" issues I've been having the last few years. I've been actively reading labels to avoid anything soy related. Do you have any idea how much stuff has soy in it? Even bread is commonly baked using Soybean Oil! Many of my favorites are now on my "No Go" list. I'm trying to fine substitutes, but it's difficult. On the flip side I'm eating much fresher since processed food invariably has soy of some kind in it.
The Mercury Project

Jez

Post by Jez »

Bread really isn't an issue. I have my grandmother's recipe and love to bake bread. It is mostly the convenience factor. Just about every "just toss in the microwave" type of thing has soy in it. So, guess I will have to start planning better

~Khalil Gibran

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

I dictated German into Google translate rather sloppily. The resulting translation:
Sweet, they drive and kill nieces.
I'm pretty sure that is not what the sign held by the ladies said.1

Need more Hopslam.
Edit: 1After looking further, the group they are supporting are apparently a xenophobic German group.
https://www.mediamatters.org/maga-troll ... ful-sexual
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

FB_IMG_1580044231973.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:confused:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Screenshot_20200126_083804.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Estevio, that’s me! I’m in the process of retiring from my job because I am Sick To Death of calling rape victims liars. It’s exhausting. It’s soul-crushing. And it’s causing real stress in my life.

So, “Why,” asks my husband, “do you obsessively listen to true crime podcasts?” I don’t know. It’s qualitatively different, But I don’t know why.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Maybenaut, I used to watch medical reality shows, both animal and human. Some were more sanitized, leaving a lot to your imagination, and some showed the full Monty - blood, organs spilling out, bones at impossible angles - but they were all getting help, being fixed. Mr520 would wander in, blanche at the blood and guts, say ‘How can you watch this? Gross!’

Then he’d go to the other tv and watch Ray Donovan or some uber violent movie in which 10 people died a senseless death. . :brickwallsmall:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray »

For summer people there's a big difference between seeing something they know is fake and something they know is real. My husband's like that. He enjoys explicit horror movies, but doesn't like things showing real-life pain, injuries, medical procedures or anything like that. He says he knows that the fake stuff is just an illusion and no one suffered from it.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants... :thor:

tek

Post by tek »

I have first-person testimony that says packing to move sucks.

Especially solo.

Gonna be riding the Motrin bus..

I do have a crew coming to help load this crap into the cubes tho...
There's no way back
from there to here

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

It's a miserable job. Good luck.

Return to “The Lounge”