Danraft

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Danraft »

Lani wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 am
Remember Chinese restaurant syndrome? I still see some foods labelled "No MSG."

MSG in Chinese food isn't unhealthy -- you're just racist, activists say
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/asia/chi ... index.html

It turns out that one paper claimed that msg caused "Chinese restaurant syndrome" - chest pain, burning sensations, etc. It has never been scientifically proven.
Chances are, you've eaten it. It's a common amino acid naturally found in foods like tomatoes and cheese, which people then figured out how to extract and ferment -- a process similar to how we make yogurt and wine.

This fermented MSG is now used to flavor lots of different foods like stews or chicken stock. It's so widely used because it taps into our fifth basic taste: umami (pronounced oo-maa-mee). Umami is less well known than the other tastes like saltiness or sweetness, but it's everywhere -- it's the complex, savory taste you find in mushrooms or Parmesan cheese.
:snippity:
The controversy sparked a broader discussion on the racially-driven lines drawn around which foods are "clean" and "sophisticated." Why, for instance, is Italian or French cuisine -- both foreign to the US -- seen as high-class fine dining, while Chinese or Thai food is still often regarded as quick, cheap, and low quality?
Bourdain, who traveled the world and showcased an extraordinary diversity of cultures and cuisines, was more explicit. "I think (MSG) is good stuff," he said in a 2016 episode of "Parts Unknown" filmed in China. "I don't react to it -- nobody does. It's a lie."

"You know what causes Chinese restaurant syndrome?" he added as he walked through the streets of Sichuan. "Racism."
I would hazard that “it depends”... MSG increases salivation and raises blood pressure slightly. So, a physiological affect is there.

The literature, after a quick look, is inconclusive.

BTW, sophisticated chefs consider there to be between 11 and 20 flavors, not five. Even restricting those to what is directly on the tongue leaves out some.

Regarding my normal “evolutionary perspective” (I don’t have much time)...
1. All cats are unable to taste “sweet” due to a mutation upstream.
2. All animals with a similar mutation (unable to taste sweetness) are pure predators.
3. Regarding animals that have a mutation and cannot taste umami— none of them chew their food, but just bolt it down— pelicans, seals, etc.
(/sci-ism)
The Mercury Project

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

This American Life did an excellent episode about whether MSG is a myth, and the New England Journal letter. Give it a listen — it’s really good.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/668/the-long-fuse
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Lani

Post by Lani »

Well, Mercola claims msg causes a gazillion horrible medical problems. Ignoring him, always a good idea, I haven't found any research that supports the idea that msg is unhealthy. The only potential negative regards people with high salt intake and dysfunctional kidneys.

If trying to avoid msg, an amino acid, stay away from Italian food.
[q]In fact, according to a report by Food Standards Australia New Zealand, a typical Chinese restaurant meal will have between 10-1500 mg glutamate per 100 g food. Soy sauce has 400-1200 mg/100g. Vegemite (for my Australian readers) has about 1400 mg/100g. Parmesan cheese has around 1200 mg/100g. Tomatoes have around 200 mg/100g. In other words, your typical Italian meal (with tomato sauce and Parmesan) may provide more glutamate than your typical Chinese meal.[/q]
https://www.skepticalraptor.com/skeptic ... s-science/
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Lani wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:41 am
The controversy sparked a broader discussion on the racially-driven lines drawn around which foods are "clean" and "sophisticated." Why, for instance, is Italian or French cuisine -- both foreign to the US -- seen as high-class fine dining, while Chinese or Thai food is still often regarded as quick, cheap, and low quality?
I’ve never seen French takeout, or an abundance of Fine-dining Chinese or Thai. Italian is at both ends. Is it a chicken/egg thing?

Yet... one of my most memorable meals was Shun Lee West in NYC. :daydream:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Great Chinese food can be a beautiful production. If you haven't done it and your city has a sufficient population (overall and ethnic diversity wise), Sunday Dim Sum is a must.

The carts keep wheeling out of the kitchen with bamboo steamer trays full of yummy creations. My first experience was with another chef and his wife who was a client Mandarin speaker (many years at embassies) and it was amazing.

San Francisco had many Chinese restaurants where you'd want to experience a different tradition-- the large table for ten or so a huge lazy Susan in the middle. Again, going with a native speaker is essential and I have never done this and had menus presented. A dozen or so dishes spinning in front of you. Pure happiness.

Actually Thai does tend to be more formal and white tablecloth.
The Mercury Project

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I went to a non-tourist Chinese restaurant where several dishes involved animal parts that rarely appear in western dishes. Not for vegans or vegetarians.

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Haha. Yes. I was the chef of the Clift Hotel (first Four Seasons in the US). Full service-- high end restaurant, casual, banquet facilities, 24-hour room service, on property florist and laundry and concierge, etc.
First experience with a union shop, but employee meals were part of the employee benefits and would vary from 1-3 hundred depending on the shift and meal.

There were quite a few ethnic groups with a large Asians and Hispanic groups (as well as many others) and it was unsettling at first to see a big vat of chicken feet or pigs feet cooking.
Oh, and rice was an issue. Asians wanted straight steamed rice (and if the huge rice steamer went down it was hell to pay) and Latinos wanted rice cooked more pilaf style.

Yeeks. Some incredible memories. Unfortunately, our pastry chef, years later was early in to work at Windows on the World and died on 9/11.
The Mercury Project

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Danraft wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:34 am
Great Chinese food can be a beautiful production. If you haven't done it and your city has a sufficient population (overall and ethnic diversity wise), Sunday Dim Sum is a must.
Dim Sum is the best. Essentially Chinese buffet, but the buffet comes to you. A good way to experience eating like a native rather than the usual Americanized menu.

Jez

Post by Jez »

For the first time since I found out I wasn't actually allergic to shellfish, I had some shrimp.

I don't like it.

Wasn't the texture or anything like that. According to my roommate, who is the afficiando of all things shrimp, it was very tasty and good. So yeah. I do not like shrimp.

I remember loving crab and lobster though. That will be the experiment in dining.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Jez wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:05 am
For the first time since I found out I wasn't actually allergic to shellfish, I had some shrimp.

I don't like it.

Wasn't the texture or anything like that. According to my roommate, who is the afficiando of all things shrimp, it was very tasty and good. So yeah. I do not like shrimp.

I remember loving crab and lobster though. That will be the experiment in dining.
Ok. This is a story I'd like to hear if you want to tell it?
The Mercury Project

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Celebrating Anna May Wong! #GoogleDoodle

https://g.co/doodle/dfr66
Anna May Wong (born Wong Liu Tsong; January 3, 1905 – February 3, 1961) was an American actress, considered to be the first Chinese American Hollywood movie star,[1] as well as the first Chinese American actress to gain international recognition.[2] Her long and varied career spanned silent film, sound film, television, stage, and radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_May_Wong

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

People Are Sharing Hilarious Stories About The Times They Thought Their Pets Were Dying
https://www.boredpanda.com/owners-belie ... are-dying/
We all have our moments. And Louis the cat just had his. Recently, he became one of the most popular kitties on the internet. However, Louis himself isn’t too happy about it. You see, it all happened because of his depression. But don’t worry, this story ends on a happy note.

When his owner, PaladinAmber, noticed that Louis wasn’t feeling too well, she got really scared. The little furball wasn’t eating, sleeping, drinking… She thought he was dying. So she did what every caring human would do; she took him to the vet. Luckily, they reassured PaladinAmber that Louis wasn’t going to pass away anytime soon. He was just very, very sad that some other cat whooped his ass.
Back when I had an Amazon parrot, she worried the hell out of me when she suddenly began vocalizing really softly and worst of all, collapsing off her perch, forcing me to catch her. I took her to the vet. After listening to my description of her symptoms and the fact that I only noticed it happening when I entered her room, the vet was barely able to contain his laughter. Diagnosis: courtship behavior. My parrot had a crush on me. :oops:
I've heard this bull before.

realist

Post by realist »

Princess foofypants is having surgery this morning. That is if her platelet count is high enough. She is all prepped, awaiting the lab results.

Will update as I have any updates.

Edited to add: Not an emergency surgery but necessary and planned for about the past 3 weeks. 🤞
ImageX 4 ImageX36

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

realist

Post by realist »

She is out of surgery and in recovery. All went well and she’s doing well.

Will have to wait on labs but doc says 95%+ that nothing further is wrong.

I’ll get to see her in about an hour. :thumbs:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

:dance:
Image Image Image Image Image

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:heart:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

All the best to Princess Foofypants!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

realist wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:21 am
She is out of surgery and in recovery. All went well and she’s doing well.

Will have to wait on labs but doc says 95%+ that nothing further is wrong.

I’ll get to see her in about an hour. :thumbs:
Good to hear RC.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Get better soon, Princess. :bighug:

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm
Get better soon, Princess. :bighug:
Yeah, what Addie said. I'm glad it was successful and over with before I even had a chance to stress about it. :daydream:
We don't know what we don't know.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Return to “The Lounge”