Hijack this thread

Danraft

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Danraft »

Sometimes my geekness is snared by something fascinating.
Due to my methodology of seeking the evolutionary origin of regulatory systems and neurological architecture, I came across a bit of science knowledge that surprised me but seems valid.

The evolutionary origin of speech and verbal learning (and singing and music appreciation) is actually in fish "schooling" behavior.

Fish are tremendously aural creatures with sound occupying perhaps the largest part of their perceived environment. It is used for sensing prey or predators and even pressure from depth.

Synchronizing movement and respiratory sounds is a large component of swimming in schools and not only confuses prey animals, but allows for better predator detection. As it creates micro-temporal spaces where the sounds of a predator could be detected.

Many fish use sound to communicate or

and even in courtship during mating times.

And, the gene sets that are responsible for schooling synchronization are strongly conserved in almost all vertebrates (forkhead box genes), and are the roots of the genes expressed during brain development for language, bird song, etc.
Absolutely fascinating.

But, there is more. I mentioned fish use sound in nesting and courtship--many fish have odd sexual dimorphisms and even ability to change gender and have sub-gender types. This is also somewhat retained in vertebrate brain architecture and has been deeply researched in Rams with sexual partner preference studies (about 10% prefer other males).

This set of sexual dimorphic brain changes occurs during gestation and maternal innate immune activation during this time is linked to male mental health fraility later in life.

Sounds fishy? (Couldn't resist)
It passes my smell test.
The Mercury Project

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

OK, that's cool. 8-)
♪ ♫ But I don't want a lover, I just want to be tied up ...
In the back of your car! In the back of your car! ♫ ♪

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Al.com published their 15 most popular hand guns list for 2020 yesterday. Sorry - no swimsuits, or camo.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

#1 gun is German. SMH, whatever happened to buying American.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 pm
Bill, is there any room in your neighborhood? :bighug: You are a good man.
:yeah: :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

kate520 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 pm
A’righta’righta’right.

Any SoCalBowsers going to be round the last weekend in February? Our esteemed colleague Maybenaut will be in town to see a show. Can we got a brunch or something going? Not a full-on meet-up, just a mini gather.

Sometime during the weekend of Feb. 27-Mar 2. Feb 29 evening is NOT available. Maybenaut leaves late Monday night.
Woodworker?
Geritol?
Stern?
OD?
Somerset!! Is new in town.
Jonbeck has been informed. (Where the heck has he been?)
Who else is in SoCal?
A definite maybe :)

We're up in the Bay Area, but a flight south might be in the cards.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am
kate520 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 pm
Bill, is there any room in your neighborhood? :bighug: You are a good man.
:yeah: :bighug:
Thank you trl, kate, estiveo, and rs. I appreciate it. I'm concerned I'm being a buttinski with a Messiah complex and a paternalistic streak a mile wide. I am treading carefully.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Bill, you might just be suffering from Good Neighbor syndrome. The symptoms are similar.

Danraft, you never cease to amaze me. ;)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Found this interesting--

Anonymous internet posters successfully sued in Ontario court for defamatory comments
TORONTO - A dozen individuals have been ordered to pay thousands of dollars in damages for defamatory statements they made in an internet chat forum, even though the plaintiffs don't know who they are and collecting will likely prove difficult.
:snippity:
The defamatory comments were posted in 2014 and 2015 on the investor-oriented Bullboard message forum on the website stockhouse.com. They were directed at Toronto-based Theralase Technologies Inc., a publicly traded pharmaceutical company, and its principals, Roger Dumoulin-White and spouse, Kristina Hachey.

Essentially, the posts criticize them both professionally and personally, accusing them among other things of lying and illegal behaviour.

The court ruled the service by email and, in some cases, by private messages via stockhouse.com was good enough to assume the posters were aware of the proceedings, and allow the case to go ahead.
I've heard this bull before.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Because of shenanigans like this, the days of anonymous internet posting are numbered. It may be a large number, but finite none the less.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Canadian/UK laws on this sort of thing considerably different than ours.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Found this on LGF. I love ASL. It's kinetic. It's emotional. It's full body communication. (I also suck at it. It's top of my list of "things to learn when I retire.")

Eminem concert interpreter.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

One would think the only sign language you need at an Eminem concert is the middle finger!

(I miss his Slim Shady days.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
·
33m
Disney dropping 'Fox' from movie studio names
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani, that is so cool! Here is a great story about Holly Maniatty and her motivation behind her amazing work.

https://www.iq-mag.net/2018/07/backstag ... iNMcDNKjIU

Edit: We have monthly town hall meetings and we always have an ASL interpreter who comes and signs for the hearing impaired employees. It's really great to see more and more of a commitment for inclusivity.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

RVInit wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:26 pm
Lani, that is so cool! Here is a great story about Holly Maniatty and her motivation behind her amazing work.

https://www.iq-mag.net/2018/07/backstag ... iNMcDNKjIU

Edit: We have monthly town hall meetings and we always have an ASL interpreter who comes and signs for the hearing impaired employees. It's really great to see more and more of a commitment for inclusivity.
I like watching the ASL interpreters on storm emergencies. The CT one is crisp and polite, the NY one is in your face. There’s definitely different “accents” there. Haven’t seen a Maine one yet as snow isn’t an emergency here.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:09 pm
KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
·
33m
Disney dropping 'Fox' from movie studio names
Disney dropping the 'Fox' from movie studio names
by The Associated PressFriday, January 17th 2020

NEW YORK (AP) — Disney is dropping the word "Fox" from the movie studios it acquired as part of last year's $71 billion purchase of Fox's entertainment business, according to published reports.

Disney will still run them as separate studios within the company. But trade publication Variety reported that 20th Century Fox will become 20th Century Studios, while Fox Searchlight Pictures will be Searchlight Pictures. Variety said the studios' logos are largely unchanged except for the removal of the Fox name.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/enterta ... udio-names

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ron Reagan: My Father, Ronald Reagan, Would Not Want Republicans to Vote for ‘Traitor’ Trump in 2020
‘SQUALID LITTLE MAN’

Ron Reagan discusses why his father would have never voted Trump, Ronald Reagan’s gay rights and AIDS record, fighting “religious freedom,” and his “burning in hell” atheism TV ad.

Tim Teeman Senior Editor And Writer
Updated Jan. 17, 2020 8:27AM ET / Published Jan. 17, 2020 4:39AM ET

Today Ron Reagan will talk candidly to The Daily Beast about his father and what he sees as the difference between Reagan Sr.’s open-minded private beliefs and that administration’s homophobia and inaction over AIDS; his political legacy; their relationship; the rumors about his own sexuality, fighting to separate church and state; and why the now-deceased Reagan would not want Republicans today to vote for Trump in 2020.

Ronald Reagan, his son told The Daily Beast, would have thought Trump “a traitorous president who is betraying his country.”

“The Republican party at this point, for a whole host of reasons to do with Donald Trump, is an entirely illegitimate political party just made up of a bunch of sycophantic traitors mouthing Kremlin propaganda to defend this squalid little man who is occupying the White House,” Ron Reagan told The Daily Beast, speaking from Italy, where he spends half his year, split with his American home in Seattle, where he has lived for 25 years.

“This is shameful stuff in all sorts of ways,” he said. “This is a dying party. They either have to remake themselves entirely or they will disappear eventually. Within a decade the Republican Party will be a minor fringe group if it continues going this way.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ron-reaga ... mp-in-2020

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I'm keeping the nickel.

You know, the one from the little starving girl in Appalachia? If that nickel is all it takes to feed her, then keep it, and put some food on the table for her.

I get a ton of junk mail from charitable organizations. Some of them seem the type of thing I could get into, but my Messiah complex and pocketbook can only stretch so far which is why I keep my pet projects close to home. So, when I get these nickels, dimes, and quarters, I put them towards our Sunday Dinners to fund a dinner roll or two. What kind of magic these guys are using to feed a child on a nickel is beyond me. I can get about eight servings for fifteen bucks buying food at Safeway. Or so. I rarely have to spend more than a twenty to feed our friends, and have some leftovers for a few days.

So, thank you for the nickel. It is appreciated. And I wish the girl lived closer to me.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

PS: Mrs thinks it's wrong of me to keep the coins, but I've pointed out innumerable times the cost of postage to return them is greater than the value of the coins.

PS PS: Meatloaf, smashed taters, gravity, corn, and fresh apple sauce for dinner tonight. Prolly some dinner rolls in there someplace. Gotta check the penny jar.

Triple PS: One of our friends is bringing his adult son over for a meet and eat. He's in town for a visit, and we've invited him over. Our gravy is that good. I'm tellin ya ...

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

That's a very old tactic to make you feel guilty. My parents used to get those. I wouldn't trust an organization that did that these days.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Bill_G wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 am
PS PS: Meatloaf, smashed taters, gravity, corn, and fresh apple sauce for dinner tonight.
Careful on the gravity. That stuff will make you heavy!
♪ ♫ But I don't want a lover, I just want to be tied up ...
In the back of your car! In the back of your car! ♫ ♪

(Fogbow on PayPal)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:20 am
That's a very old tactic to make you feel guilty. My parents used to get those. I wouldn't trust an organization that did that these days.
I just got a crisp new dollar bill in the mail, but it was a travel company that wants me to fill out a survey. Still, that was a bit of a surprise. I did get a shiny nickel recently from some charity, though.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

I got a dollar in the mail from the Neilsen survey, telling me we'd been selected as a Neilsen family and they'd be calling me shortly.

Much good that did them:

"What televisions shows do you regularly watch?"
"None, I don't watch tv."

"What radio stations do you listen to?"
(Named local old fogy oldies station.)

"Is there anyone in the household between the ages of 19 and 35?"
"No."

"Thank you. This concludes our survey."
I've heard this bull before.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Remember Chinese restaurant syndrome? I still see some foods labelled "No MSG."

MSG in Chinese food isn't unhealthy -- you're just racist, activists say
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/asia/chi ... index.html

It turns out that one paper claimed that msg caused "Chinese restaurant syndrome" - chest pain, burning sensations, etc. It has never been scientifically proven.
Chances are, you've eaten it. It's a common amino acid naturally found in foods like tomatoes and cheese, which people then figured out how to extract and ferment -- a process similar to how we make yogurt and wine.

This fermented MSG is now used to flavor lots of different foods like stews or chicken stock. It's so widely used because it taps into our fifth basic taste: umami (pronounced oo-maa-mee). Umami is less well known than the other tastes like saltiness or sweetness, but it's everywhere -- it's the complex, savory taste you find in mushrooms or Parmesan cheese.
The controversy sparked a broader discussion on the racially-driven lines drawn around which foods are "clean" and "sophisticated." Why, for instance, is Italian or French cuisine -- both foreign to the US -- seen as high-class fine dining, while Chinese or Thai food is still often regarded as quick, cheap, and low quality?
Bourdain, who traveled the world and showcased an extraordinary diversity of cultures and cuisines, was more explicit. "I think (MSG) is good stuff," he said in a 2016 episode of "Parts Unknown" filmed in China. "I don't react to it -- nobody does. It's a lie."

"You know what causes Chinese restaurant syndrome?" he added as he walked through the streets of Sichuan. "Racism."
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “The Lounge”