Hijack this thread

RoadScholar

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am

So... there are folks who become obese without over-eating? :think:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am
Actually, there are.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am

Good to know. I have never encountered that fact.

And based on my impression of you, I have zero doubt you are correct. :kiss:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am
Good to know. I have never encountered that fact.

And based on my impression of you, I have zero doubt you are correct. :kiss:
I think the origin is named "endocrinlogy" - when the hormons and glands fail the proper digestion of food, it^s a disease. But IMHO those are the minority of the truly overly obese. Stop feeding kids any soft drinks. Stop allowing adults to use those mobility scooters and make them walk again.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 am

It's real easy to be judgemental when it comes to weight. Since you have absolutely no clue as to what the other person's health and challenges are, I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Low thyroid is extremely common in women, for example. I've been taking thyroid pills for years. It certainly can cause women to gain weight.

Get off the scooters? Two years ago I tore something in my knee and it was extremely painful to walk. Ironically, I lost weight during that time period because it was too painful to even walk to the kitchen.

Complaining about someone's weight is right up there with criticizing folks who appear able-bodied and yet park in handicapped spots. I've known at least two people who looked very healthy but had heart problems which restricted how much they were capable of walking.

So knock it off.

--------

Edited to add: Trump is fair game. Anyone who acts like a mean teenager and calls other people names opens themselves up to being called names.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:13 am

This is TV I'm sure I won't be watching.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... -tv-remake
Russian state TV is set to air its own drama about the deadly 1986 Chernobyl disaster – but unlike the HBO series, which has transfixed viewers around the world, this version will claim that a CIA spy was present for the worst nuclear accident in history.

Chernobyl, which will air on Russia’s NTV channel, appears to fulfil a demand from tabloid columnists and state TV news for a more patriotic retelling of the story.

:snippity:

NTV’s Chernobyl, filmed in Belarus, takes far more liberties. A description of the show says that the plot revolves around a CIA agent dispatched to Pripyat to gather intelligence on the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and the Russian counterintelligence agent sent to track him down.

If it sounds like fiction, that’s because it is. But the director, Alexey Muradov, said the show “will tell viewers about what really happened back then”.
The HBO version paid tribute to all those who sacrificed and died to help mitigate the effects of the disaster, something the Soviet Union has never done.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:51 am
It's real easy to be judgemental when it comes to weight. Since you have absolutely no clue as to what the other person's health and challenges are, I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Low thyroid is extremely common in women, for example. I've been taking thyroid pills for years. It certainly can cause women to gain weight.

Get off the scooters? Two years ago I tore something in my knee and it was extremely painful to walk. Ironically, I lost weight during that time period because it was too painful to even walk to the kitchen.

Complaining about someone's weight is right up there with criticizing folks who appear able-bodied and yet park in handicapped spots. I've known at least two people who looked very healthy but had heart problems which restricted how much they were capable of walking.

So knock it off.

--------

Edited to add: Trump is fair game. Anyone who acts like a mean teenager and calls other people names opens themselves up to being called names.
:yeah:

It’s a pretty educated middle-class white privilege perspective to say obesity is caused by overeating or by a certain lifestyle. Or that mobility scooters are a cause. It’s a pretty complex topic that can involve mental health, poverty, hormonal changes, health conditions, and more.

Talking about your own success at maintain a healthy body is great. Extrapolating that others can easily duplicate is another thing. Slamming others for not being able to do so is bad.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am
I think the NHS is a good source for reliable information:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/obesity/#
The term obese describes a person who's very overweight, with a lot of body fat......

Causes of obesity

Obesity is generally caused by consuming more calories, particularly those in fatty and sugary foods, than you burn off through physical activity. The excess energy is stored by the body as fat.

Obesity is an increasingly common problem because for many people modern living involves eating excessive amounts of cheap, high-calorie food and spending a lot of time sitting down, at desks, on sofas or in cars.

There are also some underlying health conditions that can occasionally contribute to weight gain, such as an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), although these types of conditions do not usually cause weight problems if they're effectively controlled with medication.......
My own comment:

There are no miracles. (Except Therese Neumann
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therese_Neumann)

If your daily intake is 2000 kcal (normal amount for a woman) and your body burns 2000 kcal a day, you will keep your weight.

- If you reduce the daily intake to 1500 kcal two things can happen:

normally you will still burn 2000 kcal. The missing 500 kcal will be taken "from the storage " - that is the fat in your body - and you will lose weight. How much? 1000 g of pure fat equals about 9000 kcal. Human body fat contains also water. That is why 1000 g of body fat equals about 7000 kcal.

So for your extra 500 kcal your body will take 70 g of fat from the stores. You will lose a little more weight because of the water loss.
----------------
If you are not so lucky your body will decide that it's better to reduce the burning rate than to use the stores. You won't lose weight.

- If your "normal " burning rate is only 1500 kcal (you move very little; your body is - because of your fat - very good insulated; your body has decided to burn only that amount, for whatever reason) you will gain more than 70 g a day even with a "normal " intake of 2000 kcal. After one year you will be about 25 kg heavier. That is why people say "they eat so little and gain weight ". The "little " is still too much.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:53 pm

You ignore the fact that your metabolism changes as your diet changes. No two people's metabolism are the same.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:53 pm
You ignore the fact that your metabolism changes as your diet changes. No two people's metabolism are the same.
I think my post was mostly about different metabolisms. Some people burn 2500 kcal sitting on a sofa and others get fat with 1800.

Your diet - the intake of calories - has of course to reflect this and any changes in your metabolism. If you need less intake because of a change, you must reduce the intake and not blame your glands.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Hurtzi wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm
ZekeB wrote:
I think my post was mostly about different metabolisms. Some people burn 2500 kcal sitting on a sofa and others get fat with 1800.

Your diet - the intake of calories - has of course to reflect this and any changes in your metabolism. If you need less intake because of a change, you must reduce the intake and not blame your glands.
Okay, now how about taking age into account? I was a beanpole in high school and couldn't gain 20 pounds, as much as I tried. Now I couldn't lose 10 pounds if I didn't eat for a week. Things don't happen immediately. I don't know if you're over 40 yet. If not, check back with me a couple of years after you are.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

It’s a pretty educated middle-class white privilege perspective to say obesity is caused by overeating or by a certain lifestyle. Or that mobility scooters are a cause. It’s a pretty complex topic that can involve mental health, poverty, hormonal changes, health conditions, and more.
'

As i explained already- and that is no rocket science, only simple algebra - obesity is always caused by overeating, eating more than your body burns. Nothing comes from nothing.

A completely different question are the reasons for overeating, exactly the factors you mentioned.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:46 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm
ZekeB wrote:

Okay, now how about taking age into account? I was a beanpole in high school and couldn't gain 20 pounds, as much as I tried. Now I couldn't lose 10 pounds if I didn't eat for a week. Things don't happen immediately. I don't know if you're over 40 yet. If not, check back with me a couple of years after you are.
I'm 71 and know what I'm talking about - I fight my overweight (caused by eating too much) since age 12 - 13.

And no, you can't lose 10 pounds (5 kg) in one week.

If you eat nothing for a longer period of time your body will get into survival mode and burn much less than normal, let's say 1000 kcal. So you will burn 7000 kcal in that week, which equal about 1 kg - 2 pounds (and some water ).

Gaining weight is easy, losing not so much.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm

Three things EVERY adult knows:

1) If you eat more calories than you burn, you will not lose weight.

2) If you spend more than you make, you will go into debt.

3) If you don't save for retirement, you will have very limited choices in retirement.

Isn't it interesting that, even though every single person knows that, there are people who are overweight, there are people in debt, and there are people who are ill prepared, financially, for retirement?

The mistake of folks pointing out these three truths to the overweight, the folks in debt, and the ill-prepared for retirement is that reiterating what everyone knows does not solve the problem. There are so many reasons why a person is eating more than they burn, spending more than they earn, and not saving adequately for retirement. It's just insulting to assume that all that needs to be done it to point out, yet again, these truths.

As for me? Eight years ago I lost 60 pounds. There is no way I could have done that while I was working. I tended to work long hours and certainly didn't want to cook when I got home. We got used to eating out. I do need to lose some more weight, but I've kept 50 pounds off.

As far as debt? My folks paid for my college (I graduated in '75). My husband and I could easily handle his student debt. Plus we both got great jobs. Not everyone is as fortunate. My youngest sister struggles. She's the most frugal person I know, but Lupus limits what she can do.

And as far as retirement? We saved early, we saved often, and we were damned lucky in our investments. But we didn't have huge school debts or children or health issues.

If you want to complain about someone's weight, debt, or retirement readiness, be prepared to listen to them and offer suggestions that may actually help them. But telling them: You're eating more calories than you're burning, is just an insult to their intelligence.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:19 pm

:yeah:

Offering suggestions as to things you did to drop weight (and why) is always useful.

Telling people they are fuckups because they can't lose weight isn't likely to help. You or them.

Just MHO..
There's no way back
from there to here

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:23 pm

:fivestars:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:04 pm
Three things EVERY adult knows:

As far as debt? My folks paid for my college (I graduated in '75). My husband and I could easily handle his student debt. Plus we both got great jobs. Not everyone is as fortunate. My youngest sister struggles. She's the most frugal person I know, but Lupus limits what she can do.

And as far as retirement? We saved early, we saved often, and we were damned lucky in our investments. But we didn't have huge school debts or children or health issues.

You sound a lot like my husband and I. Graduated in the seventies with just $600 debt to my grandmother, courtesy of good state universities and the VA (DH) and SS (I was eligible for SS survivor benefits via my dad.) We married when I was 22 since he would get a little more from the VA that way and my SS benefit was running out. My husband was fanatical about saving for retirement. No kids, so we didn't get hit with the massive amounts required to raise and educate a child in our culture. We always bought less house than we could have qualified for and paid off our last mortgage in fifteen years. We sold that house and paid cash for our current house. We didn't do everything right, but we did enough right (and were lucky enough with both investments and government assistance) that we can live comfortably though not lavishly in our (early) retirement.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:11 am

HeatherGray wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 am
My husband was fanatical about saving for retirement.

We always bought less house than we could have qualified for and paid off our last mortgage in fifteen years.
While I was naturally frugal and a saver (we paid off our house in 14 years :) ), it was my husband who was passionate about investing. I would have just put the money into a savings account. My husband participated in the first employee stock purchase program which he could. Having a lifelong passion for investing in the stock market paid off. When my sweetie passed away last year at age 63, at least money was not an issue that I had to worry about.

Just as you can't admonish a chubby person to eat fewer calories, neither can you lecture a recent college graduate to start saving for retirement. But, because I know how important it is, I have a plan. I have several nieces who just graduated from college. I'm going to give each girl a copy of Mike Piper's Investing Made Simple. But I'm also going to put my money where my mouth is. I'm going to fund Roth IRAs for each girl. I'll help them set up the accounts and actually provide some funds this year and next. I'll also set an amount that they can get, over time, on a matching basis. I'll insist that the money be invested in a low expense ration S&P 500 Index Fund which is what I think is appropriate for girls their age. We'll see how this works.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 am

Yeah, getting that mortgage off your back is a HUGE plus. We paid ours off in fifteen years, celebrated, and started using that money for our future.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:06 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 am
Yeah, getting that mortgage off your back is a HUGE plus. We paid ours off in fifteen years, celebrated, and started using that money for our future.
When we bought our house in Dec 1980, our mortgage was 14% :shock: . We refinanced a few years later for 11%, but paying those high interest rates was a strong incentive to paying off the mortgage. And to the young folks reading this... those were the interest rates everyone was paying at that time. High inflation paired with high interest rates.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:36 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:06 pm
And to the young folks reading this... those were the interest rates everyone was paying at that time. High inflation paired with high interest rates.
Depends on how you define young, but I don't think many young folks are buying houses these days until they're much older.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 am

Reminder:

Think twice before you hit "send ".

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... 395567001/)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:13 pm

:bored: Waited around all day for a repairman...

A7E2DAD9-760C-462A-951B-358CEE0F6DA9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

FWIW
O.J. Simpson Says 'Life Is Fine' After Release From Prison
BY LINDA DEUTSCH / AP 6:05 PM EDT

(LOS ANGELES) — After 25 years living under the shadow of one of the nation’s most notorious murder cases, O.J. Simpson says his life has entered a phase he calls the “no negative zone.”

In a telephone interview, the 71-year-old Simpson told The Associated Press he is healthy and happy living in Las Vegas. And neither he nor his children want to look back by talking about June 12, 1994, when his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman were stabbed to death and Simpson was transformed from Hall of Fame football hero to murder suspect.

“We don’t need to go back and relive the worst day of our lives,” he said. “The subject of the moment is the subject I will never revisit again. My family and I have moved on to what we call the ‘no negative zone.’ We focus on the positives.”

Simpson lives a relatively low-key life these days. He plays golf nearly every day. The knees that helped him run to football glory at the University of Southern California and with the NFL’s Buffalo Bills have been replaced, and he recently had Lasik surgery on his eyes. He said he remains close to his children and other relatives.

https://time.com/5604267/o-j-simpson-interview/

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 am

Did I miss birthday wishes for June Bug, who I miss so much?
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “The Lounge”