Hijack this thread

AndyinPA

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

This was family, so it was a slightly different situation, but at a major teaching hospital in New Jersey, we were able by explaining the situation to a nurse to come to an agreement where I could get information about my brother who had with very little warning been diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer and had surgery. He developed an embolism and they didn't think he was going to live through the night. My now ex sister-in-law had not spoken to any of us in several years and did not let us know, but her mother called my mother. I called in to his unit and was able to speak to a nurse who could not give me any information, but suggested we get on a plane immediately.

We arrived at the hospital about 2:30 AM. Once there, against my ex- SIL's wishes, we were able to see my brother. And once there, I was able to establish an arrangement where I could call in every day after we went home and get an update on how he was doing.

So my experience is that there can be a way to find out things, but it's not easy.

End of story, at one point when my SIL was causing a real ruckus because we were there, the staff threw her out. They had been dealing with her for a week and had had enough. They did not feel she had my brother's best interests at heart.

Also, this was in 2001. My brother is absolutely fine, after being given weeks to months to live, and now lives here. He's on so-so terms with the ex, but we never know when she's here or hear a word about her. And she divorced him.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:59 pm

She seems nice. :blink:

Sugar M., I have no good advice, but I'm hoping for the best for you and your friend, her son, and his girlfriend. :bighug:

In honor of the various legal developments of the day, I'm going to temporarily change my username. Foggy will return soon.

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 pm

My heart is happy right now. The mom is in a regular room after some heavy-duty dialysis and was sitting up eating (mashed potatoes, not jello) when the girlfriend got to her. She will probably have to go to either rehab or assisted living when she's released in a week or so but so far so good. The son, on the other hand, is still on the ventilator and the earliest they will begin weaning him off is probably Tuesday and then he may have some additional issues. But the girlfriend is on everyone's HIPPA list now so she can at least get info on both of them. I'm taking her coffee and pastries in the morning and we're going to move furniture so when the mom gets home she can maneuver her walker around the house. We still have no idea exactly what caused her to lose consciousness but it's apparently related to the dialysis and we don't know exactly why they're putting her on a walker, but we don't care either. 3 hours ago we didn't expect her to live and now we're talking about when she gets home.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I'm so glad things are looking up! They are lucky to have a friend like you, Sugar. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm
I'm so glad things are looking up! They are lucky to have a friend like you, Sugar. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lovestruck:
:thumbs:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm

Our Maine attorney suggest we have 2 local contacts in addition to family (which all live far away) as medical proxies in the event something happens to both of us. He says there have been situations where hospitals haven’t wanted to deal with out-of-State relatives and care has been delayed.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:43 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm
Our Maine attorney suggest we have 2 local contacts in addition to family (which all live far away) as medical proxies in the event something happens to both of us. He says there have been situations where hospitals haven’t wanted to deal with out-of-State relatives and care has been delayed.
That was actually one of our concerns. Without family to consult, we had no idea how they would make any necessary treatment decisions. All of this has brought up the question of how my daughter in Brazil has her medical information structured, too. She'll be home for almost 4 weeks over the holidays and this is a discussion we will definitely have with her.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I was in a panic and just the act of putting it out there and hoping for some magic answer helped. We're very fortunate that the "magic answer" was just for her to get better and do it herself.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:58 am

The mom is in a regular room after some heavy-duty dialysis and was sitting up eating (mashed potatoes, not jello) ...
The green mashed potatoes or the red mashed potatoes? :confused:

She sounds like she'll be OK. I hope her son improves quickly!

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:56 am

You are a good and generous friend Sugar.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:07 pm

:yeah:

:bighug: :bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 pm
My heart is happy right now. The mom is in a regular room after some heavy-duty dialysis and was sitting up eating (mashed potatoes, not jello) when the girlfriend got to her. She will probably have to go to either rehab or assisted living when she's released in a week or so but so far so good. The son, on the other hand, is still on the ventilator and the earliest they will begin weaning him off is probably Tuesday and then he may have some additional issues. But the girlfriend is on everyone's HIPPA list now so she can at least get info on both of them. I'm taking her coffee and pastries in the morning and we're going to move furniture so when the mom gets home she can maneuver her walker around the house. We still have no idea exactly what caused her to lose consciousness but it's apparently related to the dialysis and we don't know exactly why they're putting her on a walker, but we don't care either. 3 hours ago we didn't expect her to live and now we're talking about when she gets home.
:thumbs: :dance: :bighug:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Young seals are huffing eels.

https://www.boston.com/news/animals/201 ... eels-noses

‘Make better choices’: Endangered Hawaiian monk seals keep getting eels stuck up their noses and scientists want them to stop

"We have no idea why this is suddenly happening."

“It’s just so shocking,” Claire Simeone, a veterinarian and monk seal expert based in Hawaii, told The Washington Post on Thursday. “It’s an animal that has another animal stuck up its nose.”

Simeone wasn’t the only person stunned by the photo of the seal and its unusual facial ornament that was shared earlier this week on Facebook by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Hawaiian Monk Seal Research Program. The picture – taken this year in the remote northwestern Hawaiian islands – has since gone viral, drawing attention to a rare phenomenon that continues to baffle scientists who are now begging the endangered seals to “make better choices.”

It all began about two years ago when Charles Littnan, lead scientist of the monk seal program, woke up to a strange email from researchers in the field. The subject line was short: “Eel in nose.”

“It was just like, ‘We found a seal with an eel stuck in its nose, do we have a protocol?'” Littnan told The Post in a phone interview.

While “eel snorting” has yet to really catch on in the seal community, Littnan said he hopes it never does.

“We’re hoping it’s just one of these flukes that will disappear and never be seen again,” he said.

If monk seals could understand humans, Littnan said he has a message for them: “I would gently plead for them to stop.”
seal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:35 am

Sugar: :bighug: What a year for you.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:13 pm

I made a rocket stove out of bricks. I already have two wood-burning camp stoves, but they both require you to remove the pot if you need to add more wood. You usually don’t if you’re just cooking something.

But at least two things I like to do require high heat for a long time — canning, and water distillation. You can’r remove the canner from the heat til it’s over, and removing the distiller slows the process considerably.

So I need to be able to add fuel without removing the pot. A rocket stove lets you add fuel from the side, and it burns really hot and efficiently.
62837B29-C3D6-4D76-AC0E-07641E06611E.jpeg
69784BA7-46C9-42B5-805A-B5253B730895.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Sugar, I'm glad your second mother is well on her way to recovery.

Maybenaut, we'll take your word for it that it's for distilling "water." :-D

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:24 pm

My daddy's family had special cooking stoves too, lived in the hills of north central Arkansas, and hated "revenooers" :-D

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 pm

During prohibition one of my grandpa's uncles was the county sheriff and the other was the county bootlegger. The two brothers were very close.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Same scenario when I went to college in Harlan Co. KY.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 pm

My great Uncle owned the only general store in the Kiln, down on the coast. He sold a few canned goods, but over half his floor space was 50-lb bags of sugar. They cooked a lot down there.

My mother tells the most hilarious stories of the feral pigs getting drunk on the mash and chasing the kids around. She is still terrified of pigs to this good day, so of course we give her things like talking pigs and pig puppets for Christmas every year. In our family cemetery down there. the graves are all surrounded by individual fences to keep the drunk pigs from digging up the freshly dead bodies.

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 pm
My great Uncle owned the only general store in the Kiln, down on the coast. He sold a few canned goods, but over half his floor space was 50-lb bags of sugar. They cooked a lot down there.

My mother tells the most hilarious stories of the feral pigs getting drunk on the mash and chasing the kids around. She is still terrified of pigs to this good day, so of course we give her things like talking pigs and pig puppets for Christmas every year. In our family cemetery down there. the graves are all surrounded by individual fences to keep the drunk pigs from digging up the freshly dead bodies.
Back in Maryland, there were some semi-feral pigs that infested the area where I used to trail ride. Spooked the hell out the horses, but they were always spooking from the deer anyway so what the hell.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Maybenaut that is a very clever and functional idea for a cooking stove.

You know what we used to call feral pigs? Barbecue.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 pm
Maybenaut that is a very clever and functional idea for a cooking stove.

You know what we used to call feral pigs? Barbecue.
Kālua pig in these parts. Yum!

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... snow-tires
Ice racing glory could be as easy as buying good snow tires

"If you have a helmet, snow tires and car numbers you can drive it to the race and drive it home. These are cars that people are going to drive back to work on Monday", said Dave Burnham, President of the Adirondack Motor Enthusiasts Club, or AMEC. AMEC puts on a full winter schedule of ice racing events, and first-timers are encouraged to test the frozen waters in a 20-minute lunchtime session lapping the course for only $20.

There is a place for nearly every kind of car and driver in ice racing, whether in AMEC or one of the other regional organizations that put on events. Rules disallow all-season radials, and the right winter tires are the key to success on icy public roads and closed ice racing circuits alike. While studded tires are prohibited from on-road use in many states, they’re an optional class in ice racing.

Racing classes range from the entry-level Street Legal stock to the quickest and fastest Super Modified Open with no limit on engine displacement, turbos, body modifications or superchargers. The Stock Sportsman class welcomes many of the same 4-cylinder racers who run paved or dirt circle tracks during the warmer months. This year saw the introduction of a UTV class but trucks, SUVs and any other high center of gravity contraption is not welcome in the AMEC league of ice racers.

All wheel drive classes are unsurprisingly populated by Audis and Subarus with notable exceptions Paul Norman and his winning Saab 9-2X spitting ice from all four wheels and AMEC Vice-President Michael Waterhouse, who ran about 9 of the 11 races on the day by swapping out sets of tires in the pits on his 1990 Eagle Talon to run multiple races across classes. Rusty proof that slow and steady wins the race was Eric Nelson's 1966 Saab 96 driven by Joshua Menke. 50 horsepower and 3-cylinders brought 3 podium finishes.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:31 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 pm
Same scenario when I went to college in Harlan Co. KY.
Forty years on, and Harlan County, USA still haunts my mind.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:37 am

I know I’m picking nits, but snow tires aren’t necessarily winter tires. The rubber compound matters. I use Michellin Xi3 Ice winter tires on my car. They don't have the deep tread you’d expect on a snow tire, but they are great on ice and packed snow.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Return to “The Lounge”