Hijack this thread

Foggy

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Foggy »

I take most of my showers at 02 Fitness now. Better water pressure, and who cares if the floor gets wet? :lol:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Drying out of the shower can result in a large tortoiseshell kitty sneaking in behind me to lick water off my legs. It can be unsettling.
Image Image Image Image Image

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

For B_ill G--

Outside and inside. Get mostly dry in shower; step outside (onto shower mat); floor stays dry!

For RoadScholar--

I have a cousin who posted that on Facebook a few weeks ago. She's a born-again, and I don't think she took it in quite the same spirit as I did. :lol:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

vic

Post by vic »

Bill_G wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am
As 2018 closes, and the tumult of the year moves into our rear view mirror, one question eclipses all others:
Towel dry inside the shower, or outside?

Argument for inside the shower: The floor stays dry.
Argument against inside the shower: The towel gets super wet.
Argument for outside the shower: More room to maneuver.
Argument against outside the shower: The floor gets super wet.

Discuss.
Back in the 70's I stayed at the Dorchester in London while on a business trip. There was a free-standing tub in the middle of the very large bathroom (larger than some hotel rooms I'd been in). There was a large shower head above the tub but no shower curtain or other enclosure to keep water off the floor; there was a floor drain near the tub to drain excess spillage.

I mentioned to the Brits I was working with that I found it strange that if you took a shower, the floor would get wet. Their answer was that wet floors should be of no concern; requiring me to close a shower curtain or to keep the floor dry would almost be an insult - ensuring that the floor was dry was the responsibility of service staff, not hotel guests.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Bill_G wrote:
As 2018 closes, and the tumult of the year moves into our rear view mirror, one question eclipses all others:

Discuss.
Step out of the shower onto the cloth bath mat. I thought everyone did that.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Estiveo wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:32 am
Drying out of the shower can result in a large tortoiseshell kitty sneaking in behind me to lick water off my legs. It can be unsettling.
My black cocker spaniel licks water off of my legs. He has no preference whether it is bath or shower water.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

vic wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am
:snippity:
Back in the 70's I stayed at the Dorchester in London while on a business trip. There was a free-standing tub in the middle of the very large bathroom (larger than some hotel rooms I'd been in). There was a large shower head above the tub but no shower curtain or other enclosure to keep water off the floor; there was a floor drain near the tub to drain excess spillage.
Also back in the 70's, I went to Moscow. In those Commie days, a westerner didn't get to choose his/her hotel; hotels were assigned by Intourist. Anyhoo, the bathroom had a combination bathtub/shower. The plug for the bathtub was about one inch smaller than the drain and the shower head was so much off-center that 90% of the water sprayed on the floor. We took showers, though, leaving the bathroom in a wet, soggy mess. Our punishment for this, after two days, was that our hotel room was never again made up and the bathroom never again cleaned. Probably we were also put on a list of people banned from ever entering the USSR again. So there!

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Bill_G wrote:

Discuss.
Argument for inside the shower: There is no heater in the bathroom and stepping out into the freeze, soaking wet, is simply not an option. :)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

NMgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 pm
vic wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 am
Also back in the 70's, I went to Moscow. In those Commie days, a westerner didn't get to choose his/her hotel; hotels were assigned by Intourist. Anyhoo, the bathroom had a combination bathtub/shower. The plug for the bathtub was about one inch smaller than the drain and the shower head was so much off-center that 90% of the water sprayed on the floor. We took showers, though, leaving the bathroom in a wet, soggy mess. Our punishment for this, after two days, was that our hotel room was never again made up and the bathroom never again cleaned. Probably we were also put on a list of people banned from ever entering the USSR again. So there!
Not in the 70s, just three years ago, we stayed in Paris. The bathroom was so small you couldn't turn around and the toilet was in a tiny room on the other side of the room. We called it the outhouse. The shower had such a narrow glass panel that was near the shower head that there was no way not to get most of the water all over the floor. We just used the towels to clean the floor each night. I've seen the same setup in other European hotels, but this was one really narrow and useless as a shower door or curtain. I'd read about that before we were there on Trip Advisor, but had no idea how bad it was until we actually tried to use it.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

[quote=kate520 post_id=1048781 time=1543859414 user_id=609]
Argument for inside the shower: There is no heater in the bathroom and stepping out into the freeze, soaking wet, is simply not an option. :)

Kate, have you thought about getting a ceiling heating fan for the bathroom(s) in your new house? I have ‘em and love ‘em.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

vic

Post by vic »

kate520 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm
Bill_G wrote:

Discuss.
Related to that, I wonder about the ads for walk in tubs that show up on shows aimed for older folks (such as me). So you walk in, close the door, and fill up the tub. But when you're done, you're sitting soaking wet and cold and can't open the door until all the water has drained out. I did a quick search, and while some tubs have a quick drain feature (2 minutes), those which don't have that can take between six and 15 minutes to drain.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Bill_G wrote:

Discuss.
Another argument for inside the shower: it’s probably still a lot warmer in there.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

B47BC296-95B4-4779-8E60-3A20004C81A4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Sunrise wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 pm
kate520 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm

Kate, have you thought about getting a ceiling heating fan for the bathroom(s) in your new house? I have ‘em and love ‘em.
No, sunrise, I had not. But I am now, thanks!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

1. Get better towels.
2. Our hotel bathroom in Paris once was so small, if you dropped the soap, you had to open the bathroom door to pick it up.
3. Electric towel warmer.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Our hotel in Ho Chi Minh City was a thing of beauty, with marble floors and intricately carved wooden walls and cupboards. I was sorry to see there was no plug for the bath, but resigned to living with showers. (We don't have a tub at home, as we are on tank water, so a tub is an extravagant waste of water; so if there's a tub in a hotel I rather enjoy the luxury.) I did find it curious that the floor was always wet after a shower, no matter how careful we were with the shower curtain - and it was unfortunate that this hotel, like so many others we've stayed in throughout SE Asia, didn't differentiate between wall tiles and floor tiles, so that stepping out of the tub became a life-or-death adventure as we tried not to slip on the slick marble floors, or at least to halt our fall before striking out head against the vanity. Then one afternoon as I was rinsing out our swimsuits, I accidentally hit the side of the tub with my hand, and watched as it sailed across the room and hit the toilet. At last, the mystery of the wet floors was solved - the tub had never been plumbed into a drain, but was instead simply plunked on the floor.

It is worth mentioning that we stayed in two rooms in this hotel. Both were equally beautiful. We asked to move from the first when our air conditioner created an indoor waterfall with every use; we thought the establishment would want to fix it before the gorgeous walls and cabinetry was destroyed. They moved us into another room. When we turned down the sheets at bedtime we discovered they hadn't changed them. DH went to reception to request clean sheets. The receptionist was insulted and asked how we dared to imply the sheets were dirty. My husband replied, "We know they're dirty. Those aren't out pubes." I should count us lucky that we weren't required to prove it.

tek

Post by tek »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Today's dire question concerns men's grooming: tee shirt tucked in or over your shorts?

Argument for tucking your tee shirt into your shorts: The tee shirt stays in place better.
Argument against: The waist band of your underwear may be revealed if your trousers droop.

Argument for tucking your tee shirt over your shorts: The waist band is not revealed if your trousers droop.
Argument against: the tee shirt pulls out easily yielding a rumpled look.

Discuss.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Over the shorts. Nothing is worth having your underpants show outside your garments.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

In my world the job of the shorts is to conceal the underwear.

A belt helps. :blink:
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

(Fogbow on PayPal)

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

The obvious solution to the underwear-showing conundrum is to ... not wear underwear.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

NMgirl wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 am
The obvious solution to the underwear-showing conundrum is to ... not wear underwear.
Commando! You must have seen my husband....
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

It depends entirely on whether one is wearing socks with one's sandals, and the color of said socks.
Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 »

:rotflmao:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:07 pm
It depends entirely on whether one is wearing socks with one's sandals, and the color of said socks.
Well, I would prefer it if all the fashion faux pas are concentrated in a few individuals, rather than spread out among the populace. So if you’re going to wear black socks with your Birkenstocks, you might as well have the waistband of your Fruit-of-the-Looms showing too.

Return to “The Lounge”