Hijack this thread

tek

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by tek »

Dad update:

He had a triple bypass Monday. Daughter and I visited him yesterday (Wednesday) noon, he's doing as well as can be expected..
Typical Dad statement: "I feel pretty lousy, but after every nap I wake up feeling a little better!"
He's ready to have some of the tubing removed.. that's his biggest annoyance..
Several more days in the hospital, then his life at home is going to be very different.. that's gonna be a tough adjustment..

adding another pic.. The wedding, 1955: Both of his groomsmen are no longer with us.. he's the last of the "three knuckleheads" as they were known around town...
wedding1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My best to your dad and to all family members. Post bypass surgery is an experience for all concerned.

After hubby's quadruple bypass in August, once he got home, his energy levels soared. He felt GREAT, as in Tony the Tiger. Scared me as I was in the "you just had major surgery, sit down and rest" mode. He is a competitive swimmer, age 69, so he was in athletic condition before the surgery. The oxygen levels he got post surgery made him feel like he had a new lease on life. He did use Oxycontin, but only for high levels of pain. Otherwise he took Tylenol.

Two weeks post surgery he got edema caused by the blood bypass machine during the surgery. He had more generalized discomfort like the feelings of having a bad case of the flu. He treated this with Oxycontin and Tylenol and diuretics.

Beware orthostatic (postural) hypotension. Hubby woke up hearing his phone ring. (Yes, he was working two weeks after surgery -"just phone calls".) He stood up right away, took 2 dragging steps and passed out. I heard this from the other room. I found him on the floor unconscious. Luckily a chair broke his fall. The bruise which ensued caused him Oxycontin level pain. (He inherited the catch the phone when it rings from his father. That story is for another time.) He had experienced light headedness before this when standing up from a seated position.

He is now doing well and working full time. Our marriage survived - (that too is another story for another time).

I hope your Dad recovers without too much pain and gets back to normal living soon. :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/man-rescu ... 33770.html
Man rescued after falling 40-50 feet in western Arizona mine shaft

They pulled 62-year-old John Waddell out of the hole around 7 p.m. on Wednesday.

Waddell was then flown out of the area to Banner University Medical Center Phoenix Campus.

We're told Waddell likes to explore abandoned gold mines during his free time. He told his friend Terry Shrader he was going to the mine on Monday in the area of Eagle Eye Road and milepost 13, south of Aguila, which is about 90 miles northwest of Phoenix. He said if he didn't come back Tuesday, to come look for him.

While rappelling down the shaft, Waddell said his carabiner broke and he fell 40 to 50 feet.

He told Arizona's Family he killed three rattlesnakes at the bottom of the mine.

Shrader didn't get a chance to go out on Tuesday but on Wednesday when he got to the mine, he could hear his friend yelling for help. He had to hike up a hill to get cellphone service and called 911.
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Who knew?

France in North America

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wildlife can’t even be safe in an abandoned mineshaft.

Tiredretiredlawyer

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 am
Wildlife can’t even be safe in an abandoned mineshaft.
I agree!

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Tek, tots and pears work. I’m so ticked by the phrase that it pops into mind as appropriate at others times, and so I think of your dad each time.

Glad to hear it went well and thanks so much for posting the old photos.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I have a neighbor who is VERY much a Tea Bagger. Flew the snakey flag instead of the Stars & Stripes on national holidays, campaign signs for whichever christian dominionist was running for local office, big Ted Cruz supporter in the primaries.

Haven't seen a flag or a campaign sign since Trump got the nomination.

The local tea party patriots group is reduced to a few cranks whose sole issue is trying to stop the development of a new mosque and islamic center.

My town has always been pretty blue, with small bands of RWNJs inhabiting the rural fringe. With development that slowed during the Great Recession picking back up and picking away at both the rural and political fringes, the nuts are moving further south towards the meth farms of San Benito County.

This works for me. Hacia el sur, pendejos, vaya sur.
Image Image Image Image Image

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Harry and Meghan are in Australia. A couple of days ago they went to Dubbo and had tea with a farming family. Meghan made banana bread. After a full day of sight-seeing and meets and greets, she went back to Admiralty House and made banana bread for this family in Dubbo. I saw the picture of her lumpy, brown, cracked banana bread on a daggy plate surrounded by goodies made by the CWA ladies - and CWA (Country Women's Association) ladies are known for their baked goods; everything looks cafe-perfect - and I just had the loves. I've been there. I've been the person who brings the lumpy (but yummy) homemade banana bread to a CWA do and looked at it, forlorn and ugly, surrounded by perfect scones and sandwich triangles and cakes and slices, and I know how that feels. I now have an official favourite royal.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/ ... 5782d56027

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am
Who knew?

France in North America

Bourdain went there during a show in his penultimate season - part of the Newfoundland show.
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trouble Brewing? Climate Change Closes In on Beer Drinkers
Increasing droughts and heat waves could have a devastating effect on barley stocks—and beer prices

By Angus Chen on October 15, 2018

First, there was too much rain. An ill-timed storm thrashed barley fields in Montana—home to over a fifth of the country’s barley crop—and the water ruined the golden fruits. Just a few years later a dry heat wave shriveled grains and bowed the plants over. Resulting shortages shot the price of high-quality barley through the roof, squeezing both farmers and some of their key customers: beer brewers.

Even if you didn’t notice beer price fluctuations following those years—2014 and 2017—consumers probably will in the near future. Climate change will make extreme events like prolonged droughts and heat waves more severe and frequent, says Steven Davis, an earth systems scientist at the University of California, Irvine. That, in turn, could make beer (the vast majority of which is brewed with barley) dizzyingly expensive, according to study results Davis and his research team published Monday in Nature Plants

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -drinkers/.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Watch: UK-China expedition discovers world-class cave hall

By Euronews • last updated: 20/10/2018

A joint China-UK expedition team had discovered a world-class cave hall in the Fengshan County of south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

The size of the cave-hall is about 6.7 million cubic meters and the Nongle sinkhole is about 200 meters long, 100 meters wide and 118 meters deep. The bottom of the sinkhole is a huge cave due to collapses.

https://www.euronews.com/2018/10/20/wat ... -cave-hall

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Re-enactment of the Civil War in Seattle?

ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

What balls he had!
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

With regard to my computer problem, in my previous message of Sept 22, nr. 24698, on page 988, that I cannot seem to stay signed in on any website.
I was advised to shift to another browser other than Google Chrome, which I did. I now use Comodo Dragon.

The problem is not cured. The problem is not in Chrome, it's somewhere in my system (Windows7). I cannot stay signed in if I leave a website, even briefly. Additionally settings with various webcites (such as no sound effects during a game) also refuse to stay.

I am ready to use a fire axe. Advice is solicited (simple English please).

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Wild-assed guessing at 3am... could it be something like a security program you have installed which keeps deleting cookies? Something like that?
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

tek

Post by tek »

Dad has returned home. Just got off the phone with him, he's really glad to be there. Now the challenge is to keep him quiet and healing.. The good news is that my sister went to the hospital yesterday and corralled the cardiac transition nurse.. she and made sure my dad knew exactly what had been done to him, and how dire the consequences of overdoing it are.. I think he got the message.. he literally didn't understand what was inside him..

ms.tek and I are filling their fridge and freezer with heart-healthy low-salt low-fat but hearty foods (chicken cacciatore, stuffed peppers (made with x-lean ground turkey), cabbage soup, chicken soup)

Mom is in a wheelchair, and dad can't lift above shoulder height until he heals.. so their over-the-range microwave is useless.. we dropped off a cheap countertop microwave that they can both use.

The hospital set up for someone in some capacity to visit every day for the next week.. I think one or another of us kids are going to overnight every night for the next few days..

Once dad gets a bit more mobility, ms.tek and I plan to go over one afternoon a week to teach my dad how to cook healthy, and then eat the fruits of our labor.

one day at a time..
There's no way back
from there to here

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

To MN-Skeptic,

I tried your proposal. Could not find a security program that would do that, made an effort to lower my security level (to Medium), uninstalled some unnecessary programs (esp those installed about the time, and since, this problem first appeared). No relief to the sign-in problem but my computer does run a bit smoother. Thank you for trying.

Still soliciting advice on my sign-in problem.

tek

Post by tek »

not exactly sure where to put this..

https://www.local10.com/news/florida/ac ... rities-say
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - A Florida man is accused of groping a female passenger while on a flight Sunday from Houston to Albuquerque and later telling authorities that the president of the United States says it's OK to grab women by their private parts.
There's no way back
from there to here

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby »

I live in an area that would be considered a high-crime section of town. About 5:30 am Sunday morning, i was awakened by a strange noise. I thought I picture had fallen off a wall. The power was out. By the time I got to the front of the house, I heard smashing, and banging against my front door and yelling and laughing. It made me think of the movie "the purge" where homeowners huddle in their house while gangs of people going around attacking. I won't lie -scared the living daylights out of me. I called the police. Some vandals had ripped my hanging porchlight down, and thrown it through the storm door window. This had caused the electricity to short out. They then smashed a porch chair through another storm window, and then went down and did the same to a neighbor.

The police arrived and had a "kids these days!" attitude about the whole thing. I was pretty shook up. And absolutely effing furious. I found myself fantasizing of having a gun and shooting through the door at the vandals when this was all happening. And then another neighbor checked his security camera footage, and found an image of one of the vandals running away. He was a kid, maybe 14 or so? laughing.

I tried to imagine if I had a gun. The damage has totaled about $500. In the moment, scared witless and hearing multiple people smashing my windows, sounding like they were trying to break in, I might have shot. And killed or maimed a kid. Over $500 measly bucks. This is why I don't own a gun.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Playing devil's advocate... if you had a gun and fired a couple shots that you knew weren't going to hit the creep, you might have scared him into not doing that again.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby »

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am
Playing devil's advocate... if you had a gun and fired a couple shots that you knew weren't going to hit the creep, you might have scared him into not doing that again.
Considering my lack of hand-eye coordination and generalized clumsiness, I would have probably been more likely to accidentally shoot myself than even come close to hitting the door. But I'm Annie Oakley in my fantasies.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thank you Stoppingby for your thoughtful and wise assessment of your experience. I agree with you. Statistics all over the Google Universe confirm for me that having a gun in the home is simply not worth it.

I am glad you are okay.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

I disagree. Statistics are good at assessing a group, a population at large. They say nothing about an individual. I wouldn’t be without one at home, and my wife wouldn’t either. We are trained and educated. And cautious.

That said, I support stoppingby’s decision. She has determined not to have one based on her abilities. Good call.

Same rule as with riding motorcycles: if in doubt, don’t.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Fortinbras wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:25 am
With regard to my computer problem, in my previous message of Sept 22, nr. 24698, on page 988, that I cannot seem to stay signed in on any website.
I was advised to shift to another browser other than Google Chrome, which I did. I now use Comodo Dragon.

The problem is not cured. The problem is not in Chrome.
Well....it still might be. See, Comodo Dragon is a built on Chromium, the same underpinning as Google's Chrome browser. Try installing Comodo Ice Dragon, which is a Firefox derivative. See how that works.
I've heard this bull before.

Return to “The Lounge”