Hijack this thread

Maybenaut

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm so happy that I don't have an idiot sister. I have a sister, but she's not an idiot. She's the bestest.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm
I'm so happy that I don't have an idiot sister. I have a sister, but she's not an idiot. She's the bestest.
I'm pretty sure you have to have 2 sisters (or at least 2 siblings?) to have an idiot sister. My other sister is a blob with no personality who lives in Memphis, but I don't think she's an idiot.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm
I'm pretty sure you have to have 2 sisters (or at least 2 siblings?) to have an idiot sister. My other sister is a blob with no personality who lives in Memphis, but I don't think she's an idiot.
Well, I am the youngest of seven. My other sister died in a car accident when I was 18 and she was 23 (I *idolized* her -- she was *so* cool). I did have an idiot brother. He died a couple of years ago. We didn't talk for 20 years. I discovered after he died that he was a Sandy Hook Truther and a 911 Truther, believed in chemtrails, etc.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:10 pm

My brother and I had issues when we were growing up, which carried into adulthood. But since my mother's health declined, we sorted them out over a couple of years (albeit with some yelling) and he's now a complete emotional rock for me to lean on. I am the only local family my mom has (he lives across country), and so its been a lonely ordeal caring for her all these years (she is in assisted living, but she has always been very emotionally dependent on me and wants me to visit all the time.) he takes my calls, forgives me when I overreact, handles her finances and other pesky paperwork, and occasionally sends me a check to hire a cleaner to come in (or to get a massage, whichever I choose.) I'm so grateful to him. I'm gonna email him right now and tell him.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:17 pm

We've been having an issue with our septic system -- some of you may recall we bought this house in Maine that turned out to need a ton of work, and contained so many aspects that were idiosyncratic to the builder's fancies. (He was also the previous owner, and had been in jail for a couple of years while the bank foreclosed. Long story. We've never met him but neighbors tell us he was "different".)

Anyhoo, said idiosyncracies included planking under the vinyl siding that he had milled himself (he was a lumber guy), and cement blocks for the chimney that he had cast himself. I admired his industry and self-sufficiency, but nothing was to code, not even the meager code that pertains up here in mid-Maine.

With that as background, we've never really known what kind of leach field came with the septic system. So when the septic tank began to back up, creating surface flow near the outlet, we could only guess at the cause. (It could be anything from a routine crushed, pinched, or blocked pipe, or plant roots, to a leach field that was never really a leach field, and just got used up.) We're now engaged with a local septic company to do our due diligence, with the goal of getting it fixed in a long-term sustainable way (i.e., usable by a family of two for the foreseeable future with careful maintenance, including shower, baths, and laundry).

The company pumped the tank this week, confirming it is 1,000 gals., not 1,500, and confirming the tank itself is in good shape. They're returning on Tuesday to snake the outlet with a fiber optic camera, and find out what they can regarding the blockage. They claim they can also find out what the design of the original leach field is, and its condition. We would make further decisions based on that new knowledge.

I suspect (55%) that we'll need a new leach field. This company itself does not do that, but they of course recommend people. We also have the name of a local guy who's real cheap and may or may not be somewhat forgiving about adherence to, let's say, design codes. We don't really aim to circumvent codes, as such, but we also don't want a bigger or more expensive system than we need. So we shall see -- listeme is a Susie Derkins, and will probably want everything done by whatever book they throw at us.

I'll be very interested to see the results of the camera snek. The best outcome is they find a routine blockage, advise us on fixing it (or do it themselves), and the existing leach field is still usable and adequate.

verbalobe

Post by verbalobe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm

P.S. We are not unaware of greywater systems, and the potential benefits of segregating true greywater from human waste, especially when you have applications for the greywater, like irrigating crops. But I think replumbing the house has to wait for another day. We just want to be able to take showers whenever we want, and not have to bail the tub by the bucketsful.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm with Suzie. Do it right. You'll be glad you did. And remember, the true "cost" isn't the price tag of the legal system, but the price difference between the legal and illegal system.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:01 pm

8-) Care is worth $47,000 from Allstate plus my time in hospital. Worth looking.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 pm

I’m kinda sad I don’t have an idiot sister. :( Or brother. The one who might at one time have qualified was just dealing with grief after our folks passed. He’s perfect now. :bighug:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 pm

verbalobe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm
P.S. We are not unaware of greywater systems, and the potential benefits of segregating true greywater from human waste, especially when you have applications for the greywater, like irrigating crops. But I think replumbing the house has to wait for another day. We just want to be able to take showers whenever we want, and not have to bail the tub by the bucketsful.

Don’t you have chickens in your leach field? :think:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

listeme

Post by listeme » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:48 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:03 pm
verbalobe wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Don’t you have chickens in your leach field? :think:
Not that we know of! We are not that boneheaded!

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:52 am

I guess I'm in good company with the sister thing. I have a younger sister who is great, except that she's a Trumper, big time. My older sister is a piece of work. We've been pretty well estranged for many many years. Maybe at some point I'll share the story, but she really did me dirty right after my father died. She lost her last job a few months ago, due to her usual drama queen trouble making. She lives 10 minutes from my mother, but it's my younger sister and I (who both live much further away) who take care of anything my mother needs. And we both work full time, too. The older sister sits at home, probably on the phone all day with her two friends who are also troublemakers. Can't lift a finger to do anything for her own mother. I managed to talk shame her into picking up something for my Mom at the grocery store one time and she stopped at Mom's afterward and left it out on the porch before driving off. My mother nearly tripped over it when she went out to get her mail later in the day. Sister didn't even bother to text mom that she had left her stuff on the porch.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:44 pm

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm

John Kerry: Trump Has “the Maturity of an Eight-Year-Old Boy With the Insecurity of a Teenage Girl”

Why do I find the statement about teenage girls to be sexist? Maybe, the comparison to boys rests upon the normal course of development. The comparison to girls is a generalized statement about pathology.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:40 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Why do I find the statement about teenage girls to be sexist?
Because it is. Well done. :bighug:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Right. Like no 13-year-old boys are insecure.

Yeesh. What’s wrong with just skipping the genders?

“The maturity of an 8-year-old and the insecurity of a 13-year-old” ...isn’t that all the statement really needs?

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

tek

Post by tek » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:53 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:49 pm

“The maturity of an 8-year-old and the insecurity of a 13-year-old” ...isn’t that all the statement really needs?
Yup.

At age 13, I and my friends, all boys, wrote the book on insecurity.

There's no way back
from there to here

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:32 am

According to Slate, we now have a beguiling punt returner on the North Texas Mean Green team and a capitativating punter on the Seattle Seahawks team. The punter is a extraordinarily skilled Australian. The punt returner did a one~time trick in a game with Arkansas.

You know that when a ball is kicked, the receiver can signal a free catch and then relax. The North Texas punt returner relaxed but never signaled a free catch. He was just relaxed. So Arkansas players did not expect him to move much less run, so they were greatly surprised when he caught the football and ran 90 yards for a touchdown. I am not sure this would work again.

There is a lesson for politicians here.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Major US airport evacuated as cops probe suspicious car and witness warned of ‘explosion'

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world- ... cle-police
Officers have today swooped on an unattended vehicle parked outside the airport, among the largest and busiest in the United States.

A bomb squad has reportedly been called to the scene, but authorities are yet to confirm why the vehicle, whose owner cannot be found, is being searched.

Eyewitness Josh Johnson claims officials at the airport told him to “move as far west as you can” and brace for an “explosion”.

The product manager, who was due to board a flight to San Francisco at 10:05am local time, said officials from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and bomb dogs are “everywhere”, adding: “This is nuts.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Yikes. I hope Tes isn’t trying to get home.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

arock

Post by arock » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Sign1News delivers news for the deaf community powered by CNN in American Sign Language (ASL).

Sign1News is the first and only digital network, partnered with world news leader CNN, to offer on-line news and information in American Sign Language. Sign1News provides equal access to local, regional and national news and information to the Deaf and hard-of-hearing community via a daily post-produced broadcast. Sign1News: Your Life. Your Language.
https://sign1news.com/about-us/

https://sign1news.com/full-newscast/

(No, I don't sign, just happened to see info about this related to California fires.)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:31 pm

kate520 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Yikes. I hope Tes isn’t trying to get home.
Looks like just Terminal 4, Mr. Tes would fly into either a general aviation airport or into a smaller airport.

Read somewhere that the event was a rental car abandoned on the arrivals drive.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fe ... d_nn_tw_ma
Next Thursday, the Federal Emergency Management Agency will do its first test of a system that allows the president to send a message to most U.S. cellphones.

More than 100 mobile carriers, including all the major wireless firms, are participating in the roll out, FEMA stated in a message on its website posted Thursday.

"The EAS [Emergency Alert System] is a national public warning system that provides the President with the communications capability to address the nation during a national emergency," FEMA said.

The test message will have a header that reads "Presidential Alert," according to the agency.
If your phone is turned off, you don't get the alert. This is appealing, but we will be on the road on Thursday, so I might not want to turn the phone off. If I think of it, though, I probably will.

(Edited to add 2:18 PM Eastern Time, Thursday, September 20.)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Yikes. ‘Presidential’, not ‘governmental’? How Trumpian.

How long until he starts his stupid tweeting on this thing?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Return to “The Lounge”