Gardening 2019

Slim Cognito

Re: Gardening 2019

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:08 am

p0rtia wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:06 am
I collect rainwater from the roof. Four rain barrels. So not so bad for my tiny garden. No water pressure for hoses, but I have a system :-D

Only problem is when I will be away for ten days in August. It's sink or swim for the garden then. But the bush beans will be by by then.I have a lot of perennials, so the devastation is never too bad.
I love this. It looks like the perfect no trump zone.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

Not as much of a gardener as I used to be but I have about a dozen pineapple plants. One great thing about pineapples is they'll grow anywhere warm. Cut off the crown, scrape the fruit from the base and jam it down into the sand. It takes about three years to get the first pineapple and about 4-6 months for it to grow from a pretty little red flower into a big beautiful pineapple.

This year has been drought conditions. Even now, during rainy season, we're only seeing rain once, maybe twice a week, and in short, light spurts. I was curious to see how my latest two would fare without outside help.

Spoiler: Not very well. But aren't they cute?
pineapples.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 am

I saw my first horntail wasp yesterday afternoon. Frigtening beast of an insect. Their photographs do not do them justice. They are like a flying cigar stub with a dark body, yellow face, a couple yellow stripes, and a huge stinger. They lumber through the air like a bomber making wide arcs and swooping dives. You wonder if they are small hummingbirds at first until you see the stripes, and then you wonder if you can get away. They land on the tree bark and just about disappear in the shadow. When you walk to the side they are on, they hover around to the other side always trying to avoid your gaze. When they've had enough of your paparrazzi, they dive at you, swing around, and disappear against the sky. A moment later, they're on the tree again. You dare a couple more views planted in your memory, and then leave them alone not wishing to find out just how upset they can get.

Stock insect ID photo. That is not my hand.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:51 pm

I had three people working on my fencing today, yay. So I took advantage of the fact that I had horse babysitters to run to the local nursery, which is having it's end-of-season sale, and bought every single dahlia they had.

That's approximately 30 some dahlias. Also got a fuschia for my neighbour. And some tigridias.

:-D

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 am
I saw my first horntail wasp yesterday afternoon. Frigtening beast of an insect.
That it is! I saw my first Arrow spider today, I'd never seen such a thing so of course I had to take a photo and look him up. He's a bit freaky looking too but not poisonous. We were also visited the other day by an extremely cute dragonfly. I think he was smiling at me, those little critters are so animated.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birfers are toast

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm

That it is! I saw my first Arrow spider today, I'd never seen such a thing so of course I had to take a photo and look him up. He's a bit freaky looking too but not poisonous. We were also visited the other day by an extremely cute dragonfly. I think he was smiling at me, those little critters are so animated.
I think we are all just a bunch of closeted botanists, and won't admit it.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am
Not as much of a gardener as I used to be but I have about a dozen pineapple plants. One great thing about pineapples is they'll grow anywhere warm. Cut off the crown, scrape the fruit from the base and jam it down into the sand. It takes about three years to get the first pineapple and about 4-6 months for it to grow from a pretty little red flower into a big beautiful pineapple.

This year has been drought conditions. Even now, during rainy season, we're only seeing rain once, maybe twice a week, and in short, light spurts. I was curious to see how my latest two would fare without outside help.

Spoiler: Not very well. But aren't they cute?
PS - forgot to mention - your pineapples look great for a first try. I remember the first time I tried fresh pineapple back in the mid 60's. A lot tougher and a whole lot more sour than I expected. Totally puckered me. Spoiled me on canned though. Kinda like the difference between apple juice in a bottle versus fresh squeezed cider in the fall right after harvest. Both experiences firmly planted the urban farming bug in me. The base commander was miffed I planted a hubbard squash outside our barracks, but he was satisfied with the result. He didn't know there were carrots and potatoes in there too. We cooked it all on the beach with some fish we caught over a fire and some beer.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:02 pm

I found a formula online to calculate how many Hummingbirds you are feeding. Just about every 20 hours of daylight I get through ½ gallon of Hummingbird juice and feed 139 birds!

The other day there was an intruder, a praying mantis on one of the feeders and then back the next day on the other feeder smacking at the birds! I went out and knocked him off with a brush.

I just love watching them and every time I take the feeders in to be washed and refilled they swarm franticly come watch me through the windows
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Birfers are toast

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm

Praying mantises will and do kill and eat hummingbirds. Move them as far away from your feeders/habitat as you can.

There are videos. I have not and will not watch.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:25 pm

I love to watch hummingbirds. I need to set up my feeders at my new place, haven't done that yet. I had regular hummers visiting my feeders at the old place.

Thanks for posting the photos, Ms Daisy! I am enjoying them :bighug:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm
Praying mantises will and do kill and eat hummingbirds. Move them as far away from your feeders/habitat as you can.

There are videos. I have not and will not watch.
I have not doubt about that, we're on a 30 acre postage stamp in the middle of thousands of rural acres. I've seen praying mantises on my front porch bigger than hummingbirds! (Feeders are on the back porch) I saw one once 4 1/2 to 5 inches, big buggar he was! But they eat lots of bugs and lots of bugs we've got, so things that eat lots of other annoying things we tend not to kill. I have been known to drop big fat tomato worms into black widow webs in the veg garden on multiple occasions. Just letting nature take care of itself :-D
Birfers are toast

Return to “The Lounge”