Thanksgiving 2018

Chilidog

Thanksgiving 2018

Post by Chilidog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 am

There are six other Thanksgiving day threads. So I decided to create a new one in the spirit of the American Holiday that celebrates extreme religious intolerance.

What 'cha got planned?

kate520

Re: Thanksgiving 201

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 am

Family!! :bighug:

My family is a big blue blob in the sea of blue that is the great state of California. Sister had her last chemo treatment this week so we are ready to celebrate!!

It’s been a bit stressful this year, what with buying a house that closes TODAY. :cheer1: :happydance: I’ve been cleaning a little deeper, for holiday guests and renters, but I’m so dang happy it hardly feels like work.

What’re you doing, chili?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Bill_G

Re: Thanksgiving 2018

Post by Bill_G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am

Well, we're planning a small gathering of six at our place. All the kids are staying home this year celebrating with their other halves family. That left room at our table for my perpetual bachelor brother and at least three others. So, we invited a visiting female pastor from Idaho, and two neighbors.

The menu is quite traditional: roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, fresh bread, gravy, raspberry chiffon jello, and pumpkin pie.

The pies were done yesterday. The turkey is almost done right now. I'll be pulling it out in an hour, letting it rest, then carving it up, and putting it in a warming tray to be reheated tomorrow. Next will be the gravy. I'll start the bread this evening letting it rest overnight, and baking it tomorrow. I'll put the green beans together tonight, baking tomorrow. The yams will get roasted tomorrow before the bread, cooled, skinned, mashed, dished, and reheated. Mrs just finished the jello using our raspberries. I have the taters peeled, cubed, and soaking, ready to boil tomorrow. There are some dishes to wash, and some last minute spritzing of the house.

Otherwise, we are almost ready to rock-n-roll.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:41 am

I picked up my pre-ordered turkey yesterday. While in line I chatted with a woman who had spatchcocked hers last year and was planning to do it again. When it was my turn, I asked the clerk “Can I spatchcock a 20 LB bird?” She said “Of course.”

I wasn’t planning on it this year, it was just a question, but she spatchcocked my bird, so...I’ll let ya know. :lol:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:43 am

(running to Google spatchcock ... oh!)
Never done that.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

For the first time in ages (except my 2015 hospital stay) I'm not cooking! This year it's my brother's house in bee-yoo-ti-ful Manteca. He'll be serving a thanksgiving feast prepared by Raley's deli dept.

I'm bringing store bought pie from Nob Hill Foods. (A subsidiary of Raley's.)

Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am

According to the people I’ve talked to who have done it, it only takes 2 hours, max, to cook thus freeing up the oven/stove, and is moist and delicious.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am

At our oldest daughter's for the holiday. Just made the oyster stuffing and the whole berry cranberry sauce.

Going to see "The Crimes of Grindelwald" this afternoon in 3D.

:-D

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am
At our oldest daughter's for the holiday. Just made the oyster stuffing and the whole berry cranberry sauce.

Going to see "The Crimes of Grindelwald" this afternoon in 3D.

:-D
I'd love a taste!

Here's our turkey ready to cool, and then be carved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MRich

Post by MRich » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 pm

For our Meals on Wheels recipients, we always have a big meal for them (we don't deliver on Thanksgiving):
MOW Thxgiving 2018.jpg

Ham AND turkey, mashed potatoes AND yams, stuffing, gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, rolls, and a slice of pie! Yum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm

kate520 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am
According to the people I’ve talked to who have done it, it only takes 2 hours, max, to cook thus freeing up the oven/stove, and is moist and delicious.
I’ve done spatchcocked birds for at least five years and I would never go back to the traditional method of roasting. I do try to sort of make it look like a “traditional” turkey when it’s brought to the table, because grandkiddies.

But this year, since our newest grandbaby arrived just a week ago, early, I ordered an entirely prepared feast from Bi-Rite. We would so much rather snuggle our tiny darling than hassle with cooking. So that’s what I am so thankful for in 2018: The perilous birth but so far healthy life of my sixth, adorable grandchild.

Jez

Post by Jez » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:41 pm

I'll be alone on Thanksgiving this year. Dawn went to spend the holiday with her parents and will be back on Friday. Probably late. I thought she said she would be home Thursday night, so I got a turkey brining then she told me she would be home on Friday. Oh well. Still going to make the turkey and stuffing on Thursday. But, it will just be me, the dog and the cats.

A part of me is feeling sorry for myself, but another part of me isn't. I'm used to being alone on holidays for the last few years. Dad is in Vegas with the girlfriend. I think the brother is in Dallas, probably with friends. So, it is what it is. :)

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 pm

I often think I’d love just one holiday alone, without the fuss and bother. It’s the only time now that the sibs all get together, we have no grandkids yet - the worst part of marrying older, as we each did - so I’m good.

So good to know the paperwork is in order once again, Jez, and the dinar Soros bux will soon be flowing. You deserve a day. 👍🏻

NMGirl, snuggle up! Take pix to share?
The mental image of a spatchcocked bird put back together is gruesome, kinda like the Sous Vide mess. :cantlook:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Jez wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:41 pm
I'll be alone on Thanksgiving this year. Dawn went to spend the holiday with her parents and will be back on Friday. Probably late. I thought she said she would be home Thursday night, so I got a turkey brining then she told me she would be home on Friday. Oh well. Still going to make the turkey and stuffing on Thursday. But, it will just be me, the dog and the cats.

A part of me is feeling sorry for myself, but another part of me isn't. I'm used to being alone on holidays for the last few years. Dad is in Vegas with the girlfriend. I think the brother is in Dallas, probably with friends. So, it is what it is. :)
Before marriage came my way (45 years ago now), I had a fair few Thanksgivings alone. My parents were stationed abroad when I was in college and grad school, and in those days you didn’t simply hop on a plane and fly thousands of miles for a four-day weekend. Nearly always someone stepped up and invited me, but usually I opted out—that teetotaler great aunt’s invitation fell on deaf ears.

tek

Post by tek » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Doing our usual Thanksgiving with neighbors.. this year our daughter and son-in-law will be joining us (usually they are with his family) .. as will the host's daughter and son-in-law, and a few other neighbors.

It is always a great time. The mix of people results in nonstop lively conversation.

The hosts are making the core stuff (turkey, gravy, mashies, green beans, fresh cranberry relish), we're doing rolls and roasted-butternut-squash-and-beets, our daughter is doing desserts, don't know who else is bringing what.

re Spatchcocking: This same neighbor is a big fan. A couple weeks ago he did a spatchcocked turkey (we had originally planned to do it over charcoal, but the monsoon rains put the kabosh on that..) ETA: for thanksgiving, however, he does it the traditional way. He's VERY traditional when it comes to thanksgiving.

There's no way back
from there to here

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 pm

A 4 year old pegasus unicorn and a 2 year old fairy princess , both with wings, will join us for Thanksgiving dinner, along with their parents (my oldest son and wife), my youngest son and lady friend, my cousin and husband, my brother and wife and my first granddog, Nemo, a Jack Russell Terrier.

I actually shopped in a real grocery store today! Hooray!!!! That was my morning exercise.

We bought a spring rocking unicorn as a surprise for the girls. The oldest is into everything unicorn and rainbows. Fun will be had by all!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially Jez and those who have Thanksgiving alone. I had one year alone and it was a wonderful respite. Hope yours is too, Jez. :bighug:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Lunch with the family at my parents. We probably won't have many more so I'm sucking it up and going to be in the same house with my idiot sister. Not the same room, just the same house. We're in charge of the Sister Schubert's rolls and the bowl of olives. Yes, 4 cans of large ripe olives. If more than 3 of us get together for something, there is a bowl of black olives. I'm adding pickles and stuffed green olives to that and a plate of cheese and a baked raspberry brie and some homemade boursin. And a bowl of bacon and honey Brussels sprouts for the 5 people who will eat them.

About 10 years ago, Thanksgiving was the reason I can no longer stand to be in the same room as my idiot sister, and also the last time I spent a holiday completely alone. She said something totally unforgivable to me about 2 minutes after I walked in that year, so I picked my shit up and turned around and walked out. I came home and ate hot dogs and watched football and had a lovely day in spite of her. To this good day, it's my fault for reacting, not her fault for saying it, although everyone in the room heard her and it basically ruined her relationship with 2 of my kids and my sister-in-law.

Chilidog

Re: Thanksgiving 201

Post by Chilidog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:02 pm

kate520 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 am
Family!! :bighug:

My family is a big blue blob in the sea of blue that is the great state of California. Sister had her last chemo treatment this week so we are ready to celebrate!!

It’s been a bit stressful this year, what with buying a house that closes TODAY. :cheer1: :happydance: I’ve been cleaning a little deeper, for holiday guests and renters, but I’m so dang happy it hardly feels like work.

What’re you doing, chili?
Congrats to you and your fam.

My mom in law and two of my nephews are coming over.

The big news is that my wife is not working retail this year for the first time in ages.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm lazy. Our local supermarket (a really good, small, locally owned chain of four stores) has a Thanksgiving dinner package. All you do is warm it up. It saves a lot of time, and it's as good as any think I can make myself.

I do mske a Watergate salad. And we will have some homemade pickles and dilly beans.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm lazy. Our local supermarket (a really good, small, locally owned chain of four stores) has a Thanksgiving dinner package. All you do is warm it up. It saves a lot of time, and it's as good as any think I can make myself.

I do mske a Watergate salad. And we will have some homemade pickles and dilly beans.
Dilly beans sounds good, how do you make that?

Birfers are toast

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:36 pm

The same way you make dill pickles (in a jar) only with green beans.

You have to make them in the summer when beans are cheap and fresh.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm
Lunch with the family at my parents. We probably won't have many more so I'm sucking it up and going to be in the same house with my idiot sister. Not the same room, just the same house. We're in charge of the Sister Schubert's rolls and the bowl of olives. Yes, 4 cans of large ripe olives. If more than 3 of us get together for something, there is a bowl of black olives. I'm adding pickles and stuffed green olives to that and a plate of cheese and a baked raspberry brie and some homemade boursin. And a bowl of bacon and honey Brussels sprouts for the 5 people who will eat them.
:snippity:
I had to turn to the google for Sister Schubert’s rolls. That’s an impressive example of entrepreneurship, for sure.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm
And a bowl of bacon and honey Brussels sprouts for the 5 people who will eat them.
I'm a brussel sprout kinda guy. Steamed, sliced, pan fried, not too picky.

I have a brother I haven't talked to in years. He only comes around when he needs money. The last time we spoke, he slid off the road, wrecked his car, and landed in the hospital facing DUI charges. "Sorry, but I'm not Ray Donovan, and I'm not going to get your car out of hock." Besides, he's into me for a couple grand already. If he came around once in a while to say howdy, he'd be forgiven. But, I never hear from him until I'm his last chance. So, maybe it's better this way.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Happy Cthunksgiving!

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 pm

Ah Sugar, can I call you sister? My idiot sister effed up royally again, but it's at least partly my fault for believing her. I really should know better.

She volunteered to get the turkey. I told her I wanted a fresh turkey, specifically saying I didn't want to eff around with thawing one out. She also volunteered to make the pies. Last time she promised to make the pies for Thanksgiving, she never showed up at all.

Knowing that, and not feeling like doing more than minimum (I'm stuck hosting cuz mom can't climb the steps in everyone else's split-levels), I added a couple of pies to my order from our neighborhood bakery. Yesterday I got nervous about the turkey, so I phoned her and said I'd be picking one up myself. Oh, no! she said. I've ordered one at the grocery store! I reminded her that it had to be at my house today by nine for me to rinse it, pat it dry, season it, and put it in the fridge to dry overnight (crispier skin that way).

She's my mom's caregiver while I'm at work. I came home from work early to find mom all by herself, crying and distraught. She'd unplugged the phone and couldn't figure out what she'd done, but she realized she couldn't even call anyone for help. No sister, no turkey. By twelve-thirty I was out the door to get a fresh turkey, when sister saunters up the sidewalk with a turkey and her excuse: she fell asleep. She didn't know how it happened.

And she got a frozen turkey.

I told her to get out and not come back tomorrow.

I've heard this bull before.

Return to “The Lounge”