Glasses

Bill_G

Re: Glasses

Post by Bill_G » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:16 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:13 pm
You just took off, about a mile into your trip, got a full tank, heading WSW almost low enough to mow the lawn. Where ya goin?
Going barely above stall speed, sinking 3 meter per second, and in a wildly uncoordinated turn to the left. I'd say he just took a big bounce off the runway and is now preparing to either crash or ground loop.
I wondered about that. I didn't quite understand the virtual horizon.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:18 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:43 pm
1. $700 to $800 seems like a lot of money, but then break it down per day (like insurance salesmen do!) and it's a small price to pay for good vision;

2. If you're going the progressive lenses route, I recommend Lens Crafters. They actually have computerized technology to get the lenses right. I can't tell you how many times my husband and I have been improperly fitted by some nimrod at an eyeglass place who doesn't put the "dot" in the right place. Then, when your glasses come in, they try to convince you to "get used to them." BS. A proper fit of progressives will feel great and right when you put them on. Our "vision insurance" requires lenses made in Minnesota (so if you don't have a spare pair, your SOL for 2 weeks and then pray the nimrod put the dot in the right place). I've also learned that the expense of a spare pair with a current prescription is also worth the $$$. You can get inexpensive frames for them.
I second the notion of buying two pairs at once so you have a spare on hand.

After you've had glasses for a few decades, you accumulate emergency spares for every glove box you've got. You never know when you'll look over the side of a bridge and have them drop off your face. But, as glasses are new to you, it's best to be prepared.

Get some Neosporin for the eventual raw marks on your nose bridge, temples, and ears too. It takes a bit to get used to wearing glasses more often.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:11 am

I got new glasses ... and they caused an immediate breakout of wrinkles on my face and dust appeared all over my hobby room.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:11 am
I got new glasses ... and they caused an immediate breakout of wrinkles on my face and dust appeared all over my hobby room.
Yes, in the same way the bulging discs are caused by MRI machines.

Anyway, eye exam done, basic bifocal's purchased. Co-pay and tax $35.00.

To paraphrase the great economist John Kenneth Galbraith, "If I wanted fries with that, I would have ordered fries."

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:29 pm

So, here is what I learned in my journey to corrected 20/20 vision.

The vision insurance is worth the money. The policy I got, which includes one pair of glasses (frame under $150 and bifocals with the line) and one eye exam per year cost $12 a month (min of 12 months). Copay is $10 for Glasses (plus sales tax of $14) and $10 for the exam. So. . For a grand total of $178.00 I got a pair of bifocals and a very comprehensive eye exam including screening for the usual eye diseases. If I had come in off the street and paid full price, it would have been $445.00. The plan actually paid $151, so they are losing a 6 dollars on me (which I assume they make up on people who didn't need bifocals or glasses at all).

The place I went was a regional chain. It was very professional and the sales tactics were not pushy at all (I only had to say "I only want what is covered by the co-pay" once). I was given my prescription without even having to ask and they gave me my PD (distance b/ pupils) and the measurements of the frames I chose when I asked without any whining or hassle. All and all as pleasant an experience as it could be. They were ready in less than a week and fit well.

My prescription isn't particularly strong, but I do have a significant astigmatism. I proceeding to order some cheap glasses from Zenni optical. The cheapest frames are $6.95.

In the FAQ, Zenni has instructions on how to calculate a prescription for a bifocal that is computer distance on top and close reading distance on the bottom. I ordered a pair of those for $28 and a pair of distance only Matrix looking dark sunglasses to stash in the car for $16. Total with shipping and promo code $46.

After about 12 days they arrived. Long story short, they are fine. The temples are a little short for my giant head on the bifocals, I'd be afraid of them falling off if I took them hiking or something, but for sitting in front of the computer they are fine. The Matrix distance only sunglasses are fine and with a little bending fit well and will work well for leaving in the car.

I'm kind of shocked by how much my distance vision had degraded without me noticing it. I guess it goes so gradually that you just don't notice it. Sister Irene was right after all, you will go blind, it just happens very gradually.

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

Return to “The Lounge”