Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Volkonski

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am

Finally got the PC put together. :)

So what stories have happened on the east end of Long Island?

Turkey poaching!

https://patch.com/new-york/southampton/ ... mptons-dec
For weeks, the ECOs checked the area for signs of activity, and placed a cellular trail camera at the location to monitor any movement, the DEC said.

On April 16, only days after installing the camera, the ECOs remotely watched subjects place corn in the trap and pull a rope that closed the trap on the turkeys that entered, the DEC said.

ECOs McCabe, Bobseine, and Jeremy Eastwood closed in on the area from multiple directions, catching the suspects with three turkeys wrapped in burlap and with their heads literally "on the chopping block," the DEC said.

Those involved were charged with eight violations each, including taking turkeys out of season, hunting without a license, hunting with the aid of bait, and using a trap to catch wild birds; they are slated to appear at Southampton Town Justice Court, with maximum fines totaling more than $7,500, the DEC said.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am

As we drove up from Texas we moved further back into Spring with fewer and smaller leaves on the trees. When we arrived here Saturday the big oak trees where still bare.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 01, 2019 10:02 am

Lock them up!

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Happily, we get our mail at the other Jamesport Post Office. :-D

It’s on to plan B to remedy foul odor at South Jamesport Post Office

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... st-office/
The original plan wouldn’t work because the building has no crawl space and they wouldn’t be able to reach the source of the odor, which is believed to be a dead animal or animals under the building, she said.

But in investigating the odor, a second problem has been discovered.

A facilities engineer who was brought recently in to further assess the site discovered that one side of the building is significantly sloped, according to Ms. Marion.

“As far as we could tell, it has nothing to do with the odor issue,” she said. “This has been ongoing, and part of the building is sinking.”
Complicating matters is that the USPS does not own the building. They just rent it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu May 02, 2019 5:47 pm

We were awakened this morning by a loud "gobble, gobble, gobble" from the largest wild turkey I have ever seen. Will try for photo if he returns.

Went to our Post Office today where there were several of these signs.

The postal worker at the counter offered his opinion that the South JP PO might not reopen for months. They have been getting about 80 people a day coming in to get South JP mail.

In other news our yard guy came over today. Turns out the garage that was destroyed by fire near Main Road last week was his. :( He lost half of his mowers and much of his other equipment. The "good" news is that he is having more trouble getting workers this year than last so he doesn't need the lost equipment just now. He was insured (he is a volunteer firefighter with our Fire Department).

It got a bit warmer today and we sat out for a while on the front porch. The cottage with the white van in front of it is for sale, a bargain at $539,000.00 Not winterized, no basement, one bathroom, two bedrooms but you walk thru one bedroom to get to the other bedroom, small plot but it does have an outdoor hot tub. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu May 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Meetinghouse creek is a little over a mile to the west of us.

Terry, Meetinghouse creeks closed to harvesting of shellfish, gastropods

https://riverheadlocal.com/2019/05/02/t ... astropods/
Residents are being warned by the county health department to avoid harvesting and eating shellfish and carnivorous gastropods in Terry Creek and Meetinghouse Creek in the Town of Riverhead until further notice.

This warning follows the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation announcement of a temporary ban on the harvest of carnivorous gastropods — which includes whelks, conchs, and moon snails — in these creeks due to the presence of marine biotoxins in shellfish and the potential presence of biotoxins in carnivorous gastropods, which feed on shellfish.

The State DEC determined that mussels collected from Meetinghouse Creek tested positive for saxitoxin, a marine biotoxin that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning.

“Though Terry Creek and Meetinghouse Creek were already uncertified year-round for the harvest of shellfish, including oysters, clams, mussels and scallops, due to bacteriological concerns, this new ban prohibits harvesting of three gastropods: whelks, conchs, and moon snails, which had until present been allowed for harvest,” Suffolk County Health Commissioner Dr. James Tomarken.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 am

Update-

We got used to Google Home devices in Texas so once we were up here I started searching for a deal. Costco was selling online two Google Home Hubs for $179 so I ordered them. They arrived Friday and are now installed. :thumbs:

Deer are everywhere. :( A deer nibbled hosta in our garden-

The public demands action but there is little agreement about what to do. Sadly, contraceptive salt licks proved ineffective.

To cull deer herd, open more land to hunting

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... o-hunting/
We all know there are far too many deer on the North Fork, and that efforts to sharply reduce their numbers have had limited success. The spread of tick-borne diseases makes the deer — who carry the ticks — a public health menace, and they should be treated as such by county and state health officials.

This far-too-big deer herd threatens the livelihood of every farmer still working this fertile land. The high fences they’ve put up to protect their crops have only pushed the deer into private backyards where they can find something to eat. And, increasingly, they seem to eat pretty much anything.
We need a pied piper who can attract deer to the culling instead of rats.

This past weekend was cool and rainy which kept down the number of day trippers. With Mrs. V. away I went to our favorite Italian restaurant Saturday evening and had the bar to myself. There are a few low carb options including salads and chicken wings. :thumbs: I had to explain to the new waitress who served me that bourbon is the same thing as whisky. ;)

Low carb caprese salad-

Now I must repair and reinstall the the screens on the upstairs porch. :?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am

The deer thank you for the salad. For dessert they would like tea roses on the menu. :thumbs:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon May 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 am
Update-

We got used to Google Home devices in Texas so once we were up here I started searching for a deal. Costco was selling online two Google Home Hubs for $179 so I ordered them. They arrived Friday and are now installed. :thumbs:

Deer are everywhere. :( A deer nibbled hosta in our garden-

The public demands action but there is little agreement about what to do. Sadly, contraceptive salt licks proved ineffective.

To cull deer herd, open more land to hunting

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... o-hunting/
We all know there are far too many deer on the North Fork, and that efforts to sharply reduce their numbers have had limited success. The spread of tick-borne diseases makes the deer — who carry the ticks — a public health menace, and they should be treated as such by county and state health officials.

This far-too-big deer herd threatens the livelihood of every farmer still working this fertile land. The high fences they’ve put up to protect their crops have only pushed the deer into private backyards where they can find something to eat. And, increasingly, they seem to eat pretty much anything.
We need a pied piper who can attract deer to the culling instead of rats.

This past weekend was cool and rainy which kept down the number of day trippers. With Mrs. V. away I went to our favorite Italian restaurant Saturday evening and had the bar to myself. There are a few low carb options including salads and chicken wings. :thumbs: I had to explain to the new waitress who served me that bourbon is the same thing as whisky. ;)

Low carb caprese salad-

Now I must repair and reinstall the the screens on the upstairs porch. :?
The fact that they’re eating your hosta is evidence that the herd is too large for the area. Believe it or not, hosta is not a deer’s first choice of food.

We have a ton of hosta, and a herd of deer that regularly traverses our property (to include standing in the bed of hosta in order to drink from the stream). But they never touch it.

We only have about 15 deer per square mile, which is what the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries says is the average a woodland area can sustain. Parts of Fairfax County have 400 deer per square mile.

And when they try to cull the herd through scheduled hunts and urban archery programs, the respone is usually along the lines of, “Won’t somebody think of the children?!. We don’t have chronic wasting disease in Virginia. Yet. But it’s this sort of shortsightedness that causes it.

It’s maddening. I’d like to see them cull the herd. Not on account of your hostas, Mr. V., but because if they’re eating your hostas in the first place, it’s because the area can’t sustain the size of the herd.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

The hosta was an easy photo to take. They are eating much else besides. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 1:49 pm

OK, the 7 screens are repaired and installed. Why did I make them big floor to roof screens? Very hard to handle for one person. After a break will sweep the floor and move the porch furniture out of our bedroom. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Furniture moved and clock and thermometers hung.

What is left of me is rocking on the upstairs porch with a mug of tea. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Sitting out on the upstairs porch with my nightcap for the first time this season. :-D

Too tired to bother setting up the radio. Tomorrow will be soon enough.

Goodnight all!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Nice to see this place reopening. We used to go there when it was Skelly's.

North Fork farming is a difficult business if you need to make a profit. I wish them well.

Historic Aquebogue farm stand reopened by young brothers with roots in local agriculture

https://riverheadlocal.com/2019/05/10/h ... riculture/
Longtime local residents will remember the farm stand as Skelly’s. Once owned and operated by Skelly Doroski, it dates back to 1937.

It became the Wells Homestead farm stand about 20 years ago. Last year, it was vacant and a “for rent” sign caught the eye of Emil Breitenbach Jr.

The 28-year-old Aquebogue man has farming in his blood. His father, a third generation farmer, worked on the family farm — alongside his own father “until my grandfather decided to give it up in the late 80s and my dad had to get another career,” Breitenbach said. Emil Sr. went on to become a Riverhead Town police officer, but he always kept a hand in farming and Emil Jr. and his younger brother Kyle would often tag along to the farms where Emil Sr. had part-time employment.

“So this has always been in the back of my mind,” Emil Jr. said. He’s worked at local farms since graduating from Riverhead High School in 2009.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Making progress here. Most of the windows are open and the screens are up. Irrigation company coming soon to restart the system.

Decorative flags are up. Had to buy a new US Flag since my efforts to clean the old one were not satisfactory.

The table umbrella which we bought in 1986 cleaned up nicely once again. They sure knew how to make them to last back then. :)

Next big project- wash the algae off of the sides of the cottage and the shed.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 11, 2019 9:51 am

Last year I mentioned the nearby farm stand that has a tried and true chowder recipe-

Yesterday it got smashed. :(

Vehicle crashes into Hallock’s Cider Mill in Laurel

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... in-laurel/
A vehicle crashed into Hallock’s Cider Mill in Laurel around 3 p.m. Friday.

The sedan was apparently turning into the parking lot when the driver, a man, crashed through the western end of the building.

The crash left a hole in the facade of the building that crews are expected to board up tonight, according to one of the owners, Marianne Hallock.

No one was injured.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 11, 2019 10:39 am

Remember that cottage that is for sale on our circle? It is getting some press reports.

$539,000 Jamesport home comes with outhouse

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/rea ... 1.30735883
“The outhouse is just for show,” says listing agent Gina Leslie of NOFO Real Estate. It, like a claw foot tub that has been refurbished, is original to the house.

Located on a .13-acre lot in Jamesport’s historic Campground Circle, the house has one bedroom and one bathroom.

The Methodist camp began at the site in 1834 in a grove of towering oak trees, says Richard Wines, landmarks preservation chair for the Town of Riverhead. The Methodists held an annual meeting there for many years, building an auditorium, boarding house and dining room and designating 20 lots on which owners could built tents and, eventually, summer homes, Wines says.

:snippity:

Timothy M. Griffing, a prominent Riverhead attorney, built this carpenter Gothic cottage for his family to stay in during camp meetings, says Wines. Griffin is known as the creator of downtown Riverhead's Grangebel Park, so named for his daughters Grace, Angeline and Mabel, says Wines.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 am

The warm weather will soon be here so it is time for another round of Helicopter Wars!

New Hamptons Helicopter Shuttle Sparks Outrage On East End

https://patch.com/new-york/easthampton/ ... ium=social
Flights will take off every Friday at 3 p.m. at a cost of $995 per seat, per leg, and can be booked by phone or on the Wheels Up App, available through the Apple App Store or Google Play, the release said.

"This is terrible, terrible, dreadful news. The only question is whether they will fly the northern route or the southerly route over the ocean. It is clear that, at an estimated flight time of 40 minutes, they do not contemplate the prospect of flying around Plum Island. I know that East Hampton knows that the growth of these types of services erode not only the quality of life for our residents but, the quality of life of its own. It is time to detonate the A-bomb — figuratively as it had been referred to by some East Hampton residents — and close that damn airport down," Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell said.

Southold Town Councilman Bob Ghosio, who also acts as the liaison to the town's helicopter steering committee, also spoke out: "What's left to say? Another Memorial Day approaches and no relief from the Federal Aviation Administration concerning the noise. At $2,000 a seat, round trip, we can only hope there aren't many users. But I doubt it. The FAA still hasn't had the hearings that the President signed into law and that's disheartening. So like the springtime rituals of nature around us, so continues the annual springtime fight against the flock of helicopters about to descend on the east end. The end of our wintertime peace."

"For too long residents have had their quality of life damaged by the constant helicopter fly overs. These helicopters travel the same routes when navigating over our town resulting in the aircraft passing over people's homes every five minutes. We need a mandated all water route to bring relief to our residents," Jens-Smith said.
The helicopters fly between Manhattan and the East Hampton Airport on the South Fork. The problem is that while they fly over the LI Sound for most of the trip they fly low over the North Fork as they approach and leave the EH airport. That is the shortest route.

North Forkers would prefer that the helicopters take a route over the ocean south of LI. That would take longer, be more expensive and put the helicopters in a busier air traffic area.

So the fight continues. So far the helicopters, used by the richest of the South Fork's summer residents, are winning.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Our neighbor to the right is having his lawn redone today. Lots of noise spoiling the beautiful weather. :( Tomorrow it will rain all day.
20190511_141149.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sat May 11, 2019 9:46 pm

But then he'll have a nice lawn for you to look at :notlistening: :daydream: :thumbs:

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 am

Alex Sipiagin, renowned trumpet player, draws inspiration from North Fork for latest album

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... est-album/
Jazz musician Alex Sipiagin often draws from his experiences traveling when he composes music. The life of a musician leads to constant travel and as a trumpet player and composer, Mr. Sipiagin has been all across the world.

For his most recent album, though, the Aquebogue musician reflected on the serene and quiet of home.

His album “Nofo Skies,” released in late April, represents the most recent work of a renowned trumpet player who has collaborated with artists such as Dr. John, Elvis Costello and Eric Clapton on top of all his solo music.
Listen to samples here-

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 12, 2019 10:06 am

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 am

Pat Cavlin

Verified account

@pcavlin
1h1 hour ago
More
☀️SUNSHINE - We haven't seen a morning this nice in a LONG TIME.

Get used to it! Drier and warmer weather is here to stay through the weekend, except for a few slight shower chances 🌤️

@StormHour @News12LI
Looks like there will be heavy daytripper traffic this weekend.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 18, 2019 2:50 pm

We have been back for exactly 3 weeks.

The cottage as it looked when we arrived-

The cottage as it looks today-

A lot of sore muscles and joints went into that. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 18, 2019 2:54 pm

The view of the Circle from the upstairs front porch yesterday evening-

Return to “The Lounge”