Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Volkonski

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

Yesterday evening after returning from dinner I sat out on the upper porch with a scotch and water.

At our neighbor's cottage to the right most of his immediate family had arrived. The teenagers were playing frisbee golf in the circle. The old folks were sitting on the porch talking. The dogs were trying to get loose so they could go meet the dogs in the cottage to our left. ;)

When it was getting dark our neighbor's older daughter got everyone's attention and called them over into his lower garden where they stood in a group. Then they started singing a song I did not recognize. This was probably a family ceremony of some kind. I must ask.

As they were walking back I heard- "Niagara Falls. NIAGARA FALLS! Slowly I turned..." and they all started laughing. Then they passed out light sticks for the younger ones to play with and resumed their visiting.

The big party is today. Going to be noisey. I may go visit the new brewery. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:10 am

V - I loved your history lesson of LI-NF. You drew a wonderful mental image for me. Thank you.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Here is a headline that I thought I would never see. :o

Is marijuana the next big North Fork crop?

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... fork-crop/
Ms. Hargrave, who raised the issue at a Southold Town alcohol farm products working group meeting, urged town and agricultural industry leaders to pay attention: It appears the countdown toward legalized marijuana in New York has begun.

And that could mean big dollars on the North Fork — perhaps more than even the most successful winery can imagine.

Riverhead Town Supervisor Laura Jens-Smith, a Democrat, expressed optimism about the future of recreational marijuana as it relates to agriculture here, saying that she supports anything that allows farms to be sustainable and economically viable.

Many questions remain, however, particularly regarding the regulations that would undoubtedly follow and the possibility that a new industry could attract a flood of high-rolling investors seeking to capitalize on it.
Oh great. The marijuana growers will buy out all the vineyards, rip up the vines and plant marijuana.

Reefer madness on the North Fork! :panic:

;)

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm
Here is a headline that I thought I would never see. :o

Is marijuana the next big North Fork crop?

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... fork-crop/
It appears the countdown toward legalized marijuana in New York has begun.

And that could mean big dollars on the North Fork — perhaps more than even the most successful winery can imagine.
Oh great. The marijuana growers will buy out all the vineyards, rip up the vines and plant marijuana.

Reefer madness on the North Fork! :panic:

;)
I know somebody in the medical marijuana business. Security is absolutely paramount. It's their biggest expense. Most of the growers are likely to grow indoors via hydroponics, both for quality and security. I don't think there will be the opportunity that the politician is suggesting, and you won't be overrun with heavily armed stoners looking for a truckload of free samples.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Oh, but think about the tasting and pairings patio souries. And all the boutiques. North Fork will be more of a destination than it is now.

Does New York have EFU (exclusive farm use) zoning for farmland that (A) lowers the property tax rates, and (B) protects the land from subdivision?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am

Today I heard on the radio an ad for North Fork Potato Chips, an upscale local brand. This product has been around for a while but I had never heard a radio ad for it before.

This ad featured every possible buzzword. As featured on The Dr.Oz Show, Fitness Magazine, and The Rachael Ray Magazine. Potatoes grown on the NoFo by a 3rd generation farmer. Gluten free. No cholesterol, trans fat, preservatives or additives. Kosher. And maybe a few I forgot. They are certainly targeting upscale trendy customers. ;)

But what I want to do here is annotate their website's farm history because it features some things I have mentioned here.

https://www.northforkchips.com/our-story/
Farming runs deep in our veins. In 1910, my Polish grandfather started growing potatoes on Long Island’s North Fork. By the time my wife, Carol, and I began tending to the 170-acre farm in the 1970’s, times were tough. Small North Fork farms had to compete with much larger corporations growing potato out West. On top of that, the Atkins low carb craze was killing potato sales. We were afraid we’d have to give up generations of potato farming to history.

So with the odds against us, we got creative and came up with a hearty new chip, kettle cooked in nothing but real sunflower oil. Then we did some extensive marketing research. (We invited all our friends over for a tasting party). Pretty soon, with the help of our three children, we were selling chips by the case load.
It was a common story around 1910. Polish immigrants who started as farm workers began to buy farms after scrimping and saving for years.

In the 1970's many local farmers had to become creative or sell out to someone who was. (Curse you Idaho. ;)) The farm where we buy our eggs switched to eggs then. The first vineyard was planted then. Agritourism started to become a thing.

The chips are very good.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:46 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am
This ad featured every possible buzzword. As featured on The Dr.Oz Show, Fitness Magazine, and The Rachael Ray Magazine. Potatoes grown on the NoFo by a 3rd generation farmer. Gluten free. No cholesterol, trans fat, preservatives or additives. Kosher. And maybe a few I forgot. They are certainly targeting upscale trendy customers. ;)
They forgot to sprinkle the word "artisanal" in there somewhere and also to point out that they are raising "free-range potatoes" rather than the ones cruelly kept in cages.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Our neighbor to the left had his big party yesterday evening. There were more people and tables on the other side of the house. They put up a net for badminton, bean bag targets and frisbee golf targets in the circle. There was loud music and talking and laughing. A group of young adolescent boys gathered down by his shed which is close to our porches and acted like young adolescent boys. :?

When the smoke from the large barbecue started to invade my cottage I had had enough. I fled to the sanctuary of my favorite Italian restaurant. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:23 pm

This year I have fewer choices when I am on my own for nearby restaurants that serve food at the bar.

The Crazy Fork seafood restaurant that I loved for its New England atmosphere and seafood closed down. :crying:

The bisto down by the bay which had nice small plates in the evenings converted itself over the winter into a very high end steak house with ala carte menu and prices to match. :(

The Elbow local chain of 3 restaurants have noisy bars full of local regulars. The other Italian restaurant is full of young trendy people during the summer. The restaurant on the water in Aquebogue closed and has been replaced by a large trendy establishment with a big bar crowded with people waiting for tables.

The other two restaurants with bars in the hamlet have 5 Star prices.

That leaves the counter at the Snack Bar and our regular Italian restaurant.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:40 pm

To save time from now on I am going to call the chef owner of that Italian restaurant "Tony" in honor of the first Italian-American I never knew, a barber in SE Massachusetts who was famous for dealing with fidgetly little boys. ;) (Later when I was older my father, my brother and I started to go to a closer Italian-American barber named "Connie". He and his family lived across the street from us. I was in college before I had my haircut by someone who was not Italian-American.)

You never know how busy Tony's restaurant is going to be on a Saturday in the summer. If the weather is great then people might barbecue at home or stay late at the beach and it will be quiet. Other Saturdays Tony's will be packed both in the Bistro and the pizzeria. I have seen takeout wait times reach nearly an hour as Tony and an assistant both worked the pizza station non-stop.

Last night it was fairly busy but got quiet as the evening wore on. There was a new woman working the bar. I decided to just to order a bottle of red. That way I have my drinks for the evening without further service. This proved to be a wise move. A woman who sat down next to me (then the only open seat) had to walk her step by step thru the process of making a Manhattan. She struggles to keep up with drinks for the tables when it was busy. Oh well, she will learn. OF course if she gets good another restaurant might steal her away.

I decided to order an off menu special that Tony's wife had described to me a couple of days before. Here it is, shrimp napoli-

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:03 pm

While that was happening a black couple sat down at the bar. They looked sort of familiar. They were apparently first-timers. Tony came in and introduced himself to them. He always tries to do this with new patrons if he has the time. They had some discussion for a while and then they ordered drinks.

Tony greeted the lady next to me like an old friend which it turned out she was. She used to patronized his earlier restaurant up island. Now 20 years later she stops in at his current restaurant whenever she is on the North Fork.

Tony got some papers and his business card for the black couple. Soon everyone at the bar, except myself who was waiting for my neighbor's party to quiet down, finished their drinks and left.

Tony sat down next to me and told me that the black couple were musicians who had played at one of the wineries yesterday. Then I remembered that they had played at the new restaurant on the water last year when Mrs. V. and I had eaten there. Tony said that they were looking for catering for some event and someone had recommended him.

Tony does a lot of catering. This past Saturday he catered 4 events on top of running the restaurant and pizzeria. He started making bread and pizza dough Friday night about 9:30 PM and finished about 4 AM. The man is a fanatic. ;)

Then we had a nice long chat which I will detail tomorrow.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

Yesterday our older daughter flew up to LI.

As I was leaving the circle to fetch her, a LIRR double decker train blocked my path. It had 5 cars instead of the usual 3 cars. Is ridership up? Eight trains a day pass by here, 4 westbound and 4 eastbound. (Back in the day there were 6 trains a day each way and they stopped here. No more. :()

After the quiet of the circle it was bracing to be amongst the hustle and bustle of Suffolk County's busiest commercial airport.

Back in our hamlet we stopped for lunch at Main Road Biscuit where we had biscuits. ;)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am

If you want to adopt someone, I know of a little, somewhat old lady from Florida who wouldn't mind being adopted and taken out for biscuits. :mrgreen:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 am

RVInit wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:58 am
If you want to adopt someone, I know of a little, somewhat old lady from Florida who wouldn't mind being adopted and taken out for biscuits. :mrgreen:
It is not just biscuits. They also have simple unfussy home-style sandwiches. Yesterday I had a BKTA sandwich. That's Bacon-Kale-Tomato-Avocado. The description- applewood smoked bacon, local kale, beefsteak tomato, avocado with herb mayo on toasted Blue Duck bakery multigrain bread.

That's what I love about that place. So unpretentious.

;)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 am

:lol:

I am a picky eater. That place sounds like it would be a favorite for me, too.

Well, with all the bad, and now terrifying, news, I'm happy when I see people in this community enjoying themselves, eating well, enjoying the new babies, having fun with new (and old) pets, and funny videos. This is one of my favorite threads, I think we all feel like we are getting the flavor (pun or not) of the North Fork. :thumbs:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

RVInit wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 am
:lol:

I am a picky eater. That place sounds like it would be a favorite for me, too.

Well, with all the bad, and now terrifying, news, I'm happy when I see people in this community enjoying themselves, eating well, enjoying the new babies, having fun with new (and old) pets, and funny videos. This is one of my favorite threads, I think we all feel like we are getting the flavor (pun or not) of the North Fork. :thumbs:
Me too! I love this thread! I don’t comment on it much, but I never pass it by when there’s an update!

ETA: I’ve met Mr. and Mrs. V in person — they are as lovely and warm as the little hamlet they hail from must be :lovestruck:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 am

Flattery will get you everywhere. :-D

:oops:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 am

The forecast for this evening is "Heavy Rain". I fear that the first day of the Fire Department Carnival will be a washout. :(

However things should clear up in time for the parade tomorrow evening. :thumbs:

Our younger daughter and her fiance fly in at 5:50 PM today. Hope the bad weather holds off until they arrive. :pray:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 am

RiverheadNewsReview

@riverheadnews1
Following Following @riverheadnews1
More
The beef cattle that once grazed in front of Martha Clara Vineyards no longer live at the Riverhead winery.

The original vineyard owner died. The new owners aren't into cattle I guess. Thecattle were sent (sold?) to somewhere upstate.
This is a major setback for North Fork beef cattle ranching. There are just two beef operations left.

On the plus side, escargot farming is taking off!

https://www.peconicescargot.com/contact
The chef, Taylor Knapp, needed a plot of land no bigger than a toolshed to raise some 15,000 Burgundy-style snails in stacked bins in a sheltered hut. He began Peconic Escargot in Cutchogue four years ago, and now he’s selling about 3,000 snails a week.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/dini ... ytmobile=0

He charges $36.00 for 4 dozen snails so that's a gross monthly revenue of $9000.00.

:shock:

:think:

I think I will go out and clear out my shed.....................

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 am

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 am

He charges $36.00 for 4 dozen snails so that's a gross monthly revenue of $9000.00.

I give you one of my favorite short stories, "The Snail Watcher":
https://www.virago.co.uk/a-halloween-tr ... l-watcher/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:53 am

Snail caviar is a thing. :o He charges $150.00 an ounce. :swoon:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:56 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 am
Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:42 am

I give you one of my favorite short stories, "The Snail Watcher":
https://www.virago.co.uk/a-halloween-tr ... l-watcher/
Interesting story. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 pm

This is Your NoFo Reporter at Circle Weather Central on my front porch.

Rain. More rain. Then even more rain.

Reports that areas outside the North Fork are also affected.

Carnival canceled for tonight. :(

Report of funnel cloud over Brooklyn.

Storm caused cancellation of our younger daughter's flight. She will arrive tomorrow.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:39 pm
Oh, but think about the tasting and pairings patio souries. And all the boutiques. North Fork will be more of a destination than it is now.

Does New York have EFU (exclusive farm use) zoning for farmland that (A) lowers the property tax rates, and (B) protects the land from subdivision?
In NY farmers can sell the development rights of their land to counties or to the state. This reduces the land value and so reduces their taxes.

Without development rights the land can not be built upon.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Quick catch up of things.

Sunday Morning when I got up the folk in the cottage to the left had departed on their all day trip home to upstate NY.

The neighbor to the right and some of his family had begun cleaning up after the party.

The post party pile of trash-

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiWb5nXWkAAzDL9.jpg

Monday our older daughter and I got the little cottage ready for the younger daughter and her fiance and went shopping.

Then we got some cider.

We were the only customers at the cidery. The owner served us. Turns out his wife is a public school teacher on the North Fork so my daughter and he had an instant rapport.

We learned that he had bought farm land in 1981 when prices were low. (Mrs. V. and I bought our cottage here in 1981). He planted apple trees in 1982 thinking that it would be something to do on weekends and in retirement. After a few years it grew so large that he quit his job and has since been a full time orchard owner. Several years ago he branched out into hard cider which has been very successful.

Today we were supposed to get the younger daughter at the airport but her flight was canceled due to weather. :(

So we tried a new cider place which couldn't be more different from the small family-run one near us.

This is cider tasting on steroids.

We had lunch there and had a bag of NoFO Potato Chips.

Return to “The Lounge”