Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

MN-Skeptic

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 am

When I was young, I read a magazine article which really stayed with me. The article pointed out that the most important people in your life were your family, so that's who you should be sharing your finest possessions with. They should grow up using the china you love and seeing your most precious ornaments on the Christmas tree. Fortunately, that's the way my mom was.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 am

With the 4th of July on Wednesday many people have taken the week off. Here on the North Fork we are getting 9 straight days of weekend traffic. :(

Yesterday evening, Tuesday, the helicopters of the 1% were flying overhead on their way to East Hampton Airport. Some of them will head back to NYC tonight only to return again on Friday evening. :madguy:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:55 am

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am
Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Wonderful find.
A small plate from that set-

Coincidentally, we have had this decorative flag on the cottage for over 20 years. Don't know what it is made out of but it is very durable. :thumbs:

I think I sense a theme. ;)
Me too. I'm likin that.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:31 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:43 am
With the 4th of July on Wednesday many people have taken the week off. Here on the North Fork we are getting 9 straight days of weekend traffic. :(

Yesterday evening, Tuesday, the helicopters of the 1% were flying overhead on their way to East Hampton Airport. Some of them will head back to NYC tonight only to return again on Friday evening. :madguy:
Where do we catch the Fogbow Helicopter to visit you at your cottage?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:12 am

Off Topic
Me: I’d like to get rid of this ugly stoneware and just use our wedding china.
Maybesaux: Aren’t you worried about breaking it?
Me: When was the last time either one of us broke a plate? We have 12 place settings, and only two people live here. We could break lots of plates before it really becomes a problem.

That was 20 yesrs ago. Still have all the plates. Our china has gold around the rim so I can’t put it in the microwave (it sparks), so I have a few microwave-safe plates and bowls (but just a few).

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:36 pm

We also have this hand-painted decorative brick which Mrs. V. inherited from her parents. We suspect they got it on a visit to Mrs. V''s number 2 brother who lives in NC.

On the back-

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Our neighbor to the right has had his driveway resurfaced. Very smelly. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

The calm before the storm. :)

This evening we host 3 of Mrs. V's cousins and their spouses, my cousin and her boyfriend and Mrs. V's early music friend from Texas. I need to put out more chairs. ;) By this evening the deck and patio will be entirely in the shade. :-D

Mrs. V., my cousin and the early music friend are in the kitchen making coleslaw, fruit salad and a pie. The whole watermelon we bought yesterday was bad. :o Luckily, the watermelon we brought up from Texas weeks ago is just fine. The fruit salad is saved! :-D

One cousin is making potato salad in their cottage across the circle. The husband of the cousin who lives down by the bay went clamming yesterday and will bring baked clams. The Russian wife of the other cousin who lives on the circle is bringing something, probably cold borscht. She makes that frequently during the summer.

The local sweet corn is not yet available due to the wet cold Spring weather which delayed planting. :( We had to buy supermarket corn which I will roast. :? Hope it is OK.

Having a big raw vegetable platter and crackers, local artisan breads and local cheeses to start. :thumbs:

We have hot dogs and hamburgers and all the trimmings.

I've cleaned and tested the grill and had the spare propane tank filled.

Stocked up on beer and wine yesterday.

Have four kinds of ice cream.

If that isn't enough I will run out for pizza. ;)

Happy 4th of July! :cheer1: :cheer: :cheer1: :cheer: :flag:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Breaking news. Pasta salad added to this evening's menu. :)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:02 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:28 pm
Breaking news. Pasta salad added to this evening's menu. :)
No mail today. My invitation seems to have gotten lost. :crying:

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Just viewed the Sound on Google Earth. All these places from the "Alexa", a song that still gives me goose bumps. And some flashbacks to 1999, when we sailed from Martha's Vineyard to Manhattan with nothing but a roadmap. No risk - no fun.

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Bang. Boom. Bang! BOOM!

Fireworks are illegal on the North Fork but you wouldn't know that tonight. :(

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 pm
Bang. Boom. Bang! BOOM!

Hell they sell’em right in the grocery store aisles hear near the Artic Circle ( hard liquor too!).

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:33 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 pm
Bang. Boom. Bang! BOOM!

We have the same problem. Mortars are supposedly illegal in Oregon, but not in Washington. Lots of people in surrounding neighborhoods put on a good show. Some of them are close enough to feel the concussive force, and hear the thump of the launch.

OTOH, there ain't an outdoor critter around for miles. The early morning train always sounds its horn as it approaches the river bridge. That gets a response from the coyotes. Not last night. Absolute quiet at 4am.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Yesterday evening. The sides, condiments and drinks table. :)

(Hamburgers, hotdogs and corn on the cob not shown.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:51 pm

This morning the boat movers came at 8 AM to take Mrs. V's oldest brother's boat to the marina for the summer.

Going-

Going-

Gone.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:38 pm

The North Fork? There's an app for that!

:-D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eranywhere

Also a website-

https://www.northforknow.org/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 pm

New horizons in North Fork traffic control. :thumbs:

Today is the 1st Saturday that the new North Fork Link shuttles are running. They will run every Saturday thru August 25th.

The problem with coming to the North Fork by train is that there are only three stations, Mattituck, Southold and Greenport and once you get arrive there are no good ways to get to wineries and other attractions. Few taxis. County transit buses stay on the main road.

With the free North Fork Link you can take the LIRR or Suffolk County Transit buses to Riverhead Station (or drive to and park at the Riverhead LIRR station) then take the twice hourly shuttle to 30 popular North Fork destinations including 4 in our little hamlet. :-D

Or if you are in Connecticut you can take the Cross Sound Ferry fast (40 minutes) Sea Jet to the Orient Point ferry dock then catch a Suffolk County Transit bus to Greenport and get the shuttle there.

It is hoped that this will reduce Saturday car traffic. If it does the service may be extended into the Fall. :pray:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:44 pm

It has now been 378 years since the first English colonists settled on the North Fork in 1640 in what is now Southold. As the white population grew some folk migrated west and created our hamlet about 1690.

It is possible to divide the history of our hamlet, Jamesport, into 4 periods.

In the first period from 1690 to 1845 most residents were engaged in subsistence farming and fishing. They grew and fished for almost all their needs. Every farm had its own cow and chickens. Every farm cut down its own trees for lumber and firewood. There was little specialization.

Markets were too far away for cash crops. There was some trading with New England but New York City was 3 days away. Too far for seafood or fresh produce. The North Fork was fairly isolated. North Forkers were poor. Well into the 1800's every farmhouse had a spinning wheel.

In the 1830's there was a failed attempt to establish a port on The Great Peconic Bay at Miamogue Point. The failed entrepreneur, James Tuthill, did however give our hamlet its name.

Then in 1844 the Long Island Railroad reached the North Fork. The Jamesport LIRR Station opened in June 1845 beginning the second period of Jamesport's history.

Everything changed.

Suddenly New York City's market of 400,000 people was only 3 1/2 hours away. Produce and seafood could be sent by early morning train to Brooklyn and then by fast steam ferry to Manhattan arriving in time to be eaten at lunch.

Conversely, the single LIRR track which went along the center of the island first passed within easy walking distance of a beach at Jamesport. It wasn't long before the failed port buildings formed the beginnings of a summer vacation resort. In just a few years great hotels were built to serve the thousands of Brooklynites who came to Jamesport in the summer. Also shops, restaurants, bars, boat rentals. Brooklyn's political boss, Hugh Mclaughlin, spent his summer here for decades causing many of Brooklyn's elitess to follow him.

Farmers realized they could make a lot of money by intensively farming just a few items for sale in NYC. Produce processing plants and warehouses were built near the station

The new intensive farming required lots of fertilizer. Soon people like Jamesport's Captain Jedediah Hawkins figured out that the oily menhaden (bunker) fish could be easily caught. Then their oil rendered for use in lighting and lubrication while the rest of the fish made an excellent fertilizer. By the end of the 19th century Americans were using more fish oil than whale oil.

Intensive farming required lots of labor and the first migrant farm workers arrived here.

Fishing was suddenly an industry. Scallop houses (some if which still stand along Scallop Lane) were built and fleets of scallop boats sailed the Great Peconic Bay for scallops to send to NYC. Ditto Oysters.

There had already been a Methodist camp meeting ground on the high land just south of the where the railroad station was located. Brooklyn Methodists acquired this for their use for annual meetings. Later they would buy more land to the south for a Fresh Air Camp that gave many thousands of city kids a week or two of fun in the sun.

The 100 years from the mid 1800s to the mid 1900s were a Golden Age for Jamesport. A Golden Age made possible by the LIRR and which was upheld by the three pillars of farm produce, seafood/fish oil and tourism. :thumbs:

And then WW II ended beginning the 3rd period.

After WW II intensive highway construction on Long Island drew many NYC residents out into the suburbs where they became car owners. Car owners who could drive to their closest beach. Car owners who never used trains. Airplane travel became more common and far away exotic resorts beckoned New Yorkers.

The last big hotel here, the Great Peconic Bay House, closed in 1952. The Methodists moved out to Shelter Island in 1949. Their Fresh Air Camp closed a few years later.

Local tourism collapsed all but completely.

The new highways carried trucks that soon took away all of the LIRR's freight business.

In 1957 not one LIRR passenger ticket was sold at the Jamesport Station. Two years later the Station was closed. The LIRR, the key to Jamesport's success no longer served Jamesport.

Then things got worse.

Overfishing and pollution from duck farms in Aquebogue and Riverhead destroyed the scallop and oyster beds.

The menhaden fishery struggled in an age of petroleum. The fishery was consolidated in Greenport and shut down completely in the 1960's.

Meanwhile improved methods of produce shipment allowed huge farms in California, Idaho, etc. to undersell the small farmers on the North Fork.

So all three pillars of Jamesport's prosperity collapsed between 1950 and 1970. People in Jamesport had made their livings by changing jobs seasonally. In the summer they worked for the hotels and other establishments catering to tourists. In the fall they harvested and processed produce. In the winter they harvested seafood. Now all that was gone.

I first came here in 1976.

There were many empty storefronts. Real estate values were depressed.

Soon after that the hamlet's only pharmacy closed. Jedediah Hawkins' mansion was an empty gray ruin.

Mrs. V's cousin who now lives down by the bay, her husband and another couple were buying an old derelict bar building and slowly made it a summer home. Soon the then still operating bar across the street from them closed.

What had been the Bayview Hotel had become a residence for mentally-wounded WW II veterans.

The site of all the produce processing and warehouse activity by the station (which was torn down in 1963) was a small Lebanon Chemical fertilizer plant which found a market once menhaden fertilizer was no longer available.

Farmers were struggling. Many had given up.

However, unnoticed by most people, the seeds of better times were already, literally, being planted.

In 1973 a college student noticed that the North Fork and the Bordeaux region of France had very similar climates. So he decided to try his hand at establishing a vineyard on the North Fork. Farm land was practically being given away.

A few years later Mrs. V., her parents and I visited the newly opened tasting room. It was nice but none of us had an inkling of what was to come.

The 4th and current period of our hamlet's history is the story of the reinvention of North Fork agriculture started by a single winery.

Wine is a much more high value added product than potatoes or cauliflower. Once the first winery was a success others soon followed. Some farmers tried their hands at grape growing. Some members of European wine-making families came to the North Fork because they could not afford land in Europe.

At first a curiosity, North Fork wine got better and better. Soon NYC took notice. The era of Foodie Tourism was beginning. As wine loving people came to the North Fork businesses developed to cater to them. Old fisherman's restaurants were converted to fine dining establishments. Empty mansions like the Jedidiah were converted into boutique hotels. Farm stands stopped selling mostly potatoes and started selling fancy greens, asparagus and such. Organic and free range products appeared. More wineries opened, then breweries, cideries and distilleries.

It is still on the upswing. For the first time in decades there is not a single empty storefront in Jamesport this year. Real estate prices are ridiculously high. Rising tax receipts are helping fund reclamation of the scallop and oyster beds. Tourism traffic increases every year.

I can't help but wonder what the 5th period of our hamlet's history will be. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 am

Forgot to mention, two years ago a new pharmacy opened in our hamlet. :-D

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:34 am

This is the good ship ferry Cape Henlopen. Later this morning it will be taking Mrs. V., her early music friend, my cousin from MA and her boyfriend to New London, Connecticut.

This is a 16 mile trip that takes 1 1/2 hours because the Cape Henlopen can barely manage a speed of 10 knots on a good day. ;) It also has to go slower for the 3 miles of the trip that is on the Thames River.

(Since it is "New London" why isn't the river the "New Thames"? :confused: )

For the next week here at the cottage it will just be the cat and I.

The Cape Henlopen participated in the D-Day invasion at Normandy in 1944 receiving one battle star for service. In 1966, it was converted to a passenger and auto ferry and served on the Lewes, Delaware - Cape May, New Jersey route. It was purchased in 1983 by Cross Sound Ferry.
https://www.longislandferry.com/Common/ ... page=fleet

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

For the edification of those outside New England, the river is pronounced Thames, rhymes with names. Not Thames as in tems.

It’s what we do. Like calling these hot dog buns.
A4FF1CD6-B783-45C0-B322-5CC4CA5BFD01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:23 am

Those are hot dog buns, now.

The New England hot dog bun was developed by the Howard Johnson's restaurant chain in association with the Nissen Bakery in the 1940s for use in fried clam sandwiches and lobster rolls.

This kind of roll stands upright and is filled from the top. At some point HJ's started using them for their hot dogs which came in a cute cardboard sleeve.

This was the only kind of hot dog roll I ever saw in Massachusetts when I was growing up in the 1950s and '60s. My public school used them for hot dogs and tuna salad rolls.

They are still commonly used in New England. We can buy them in supermarkets here on the North Fork.
Whatever4 wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm
For the edification of those outside New England, the river is pronounced Thames, rhymes with names. Not Thames as in tems.

It’s what we do. Like calling these hot dog buns.

A4FF1CD6-B783-45C0-B322-5CC4CA5BFD01.jpeg

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm

They also screw up the hotdog/bun math. 8 dogs per pack, 6 NE buns. This could take all summer to resolve.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm
They also screw up the hotdog/bun math. 8 dogs per pack, 6 NE buns. This could take all summer to resolve.
3 packages of hot dogs and 4 packages of buns. I'm convinced they do this on purpose.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”