Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Volkonski

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Mrs. V. and I share our locations with eachother on Google Maps. Today she is in Greenport with a cousin. I have been following her progress as she visits all her favorite shops. :)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:37 pm
Mrs. V. and I share our locations with eachother on Google Maps. Today she is in Greenport with a cousin. I have been following her progress as she visits all he favorite shops. :)
:shock: :eek2:
Fixed the emoji for you.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 pm
The first steamers of the season! :-D

Can't always get them these days since restaurants buy up so much of the local catch. However, yesterday we went to the grocery store for a few items and the seafood counter had them. :thumbs: That changed our dinner plans. ;) We got 3 pounds and soon made short work of them.

Picked up local strawberries on the way home. Mrs. V. made the shortcake while I did the clams.

Diet? What diet? ;)
Love your dishes!

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:54 pm
The North Fork labor shortage continues.

So, "seeking part time counter person, busperson and bartender" reads an ad placed today by the owner of our favorite local Italian restaurant. Those are 3 different people he is looking for.

Our landline phone is out of service at the moment for some reason. I called the phone company yesterday. They will have someone come out to look at the problem by 8PM on Friday. I hope they mean the Friday of this week. ;)
It's a problem everywhere. Finding skilled trades that are ready to rock-n-roll as soon as you hire them is next to impossible. There is new blood out there, but you can't cut them loose for a couple years because they aren't ready. It's so bad, my competition has been trying to poach me, and some of my colleagues. We came to a compromise - we formed a professional consortium. Independent businesses, but we share work. People call in with a service request, and we coordinate with our partners to respond as quickly as possible. Then we call back our customer to let them know who will be coming out. We share apprentices, and they benefit from a larger selection of seasoned professionals. It can be odd walking into a customer with two sets of business cards, but as long as the customer's are happy, that's all that counts. So far, so good.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 pm
The first steamers of the season! :-D

Can't always get them these days since restaurants buy up so much of the local catch. However, yesterday we went to the grocery store for a few items and the seafood counter had them. :thumbs: That changed our dinner plans. ;) We got 3 pounds and soon made short work of them.

Picked up local strawberries on the way home. Mrs. V. made the shortcake while I did the clams.

Diet? What diet? ;)
Love your dishes!
We found those at two different second hand shops several years apart. We now have a service for 12. :)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:37 pm

So — you want to be a reporter
By Denise Civiletti - Jun 29, 2018, 7:59 am

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/06/29/s ... -reporter/
What happened yesterday in Annapolis could happen in any newsroom in any community.

Like the Capital-Gazette, we’ve been sued for printing a police report about a local man’s arrest. The lawsuit against us, like the suit brought by the suspect in yesterday’s mass shooting, was dismissed.

Like every other reporter I know, I’ve been screamed at and cursed at and called all sorts of names for reporting the news in my community.

This has never been an easy job. It requires a willingness to work very long hours, often seven days a week, for what amounts to a subsistence income, a willingness to put up with public criticism and derision nearly every day of your life, and the ability to take it on the chin and get back to work.
Denise Civiletti, a leading North Fork journalist for many years, is the publisher of the RiverheadLocal news website and does a weekly news show on WLNG radio out of Sag Harbor.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:32 pm

We found those at two different second hand shops several years apart. We now have a service for 12. :)
Wonderful find.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am

Those fairgrounds are now the location of the local high school.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:36 pm

The North Fork, home of the L.I. Cauliflower Association, was (and still is somewhat) famous for its potatoes cauliflower.

When Mrs. V's grandparents first bought a cottage on our circle there was next to the circle a Heinz Salting Station. Cauliflower is what Heinz salted there. I have seen a cauliflower contract between Heinz and the Hallock Farm at the Hallockville Farm Museum. It goes into great detail about the high quality required.

From the front page of the November 1, 1912 issue of the County Review published in Riverhead.

TONS OF CAULIFLOWER SALTED
These are busy days at 'Heinz's
pickle factory, at Jamesport. Supt.
D. H. Griffing has a force of men saltling
cauliflower and packing it into
casks. Last Saturday, over $3,000
worth of flowers were taken in at the
factory at 1 3-4 cents a pound. Mr.
Griffing says he wants all the cauliflower he can get but there is a scarcity
of help which prevents the factory
handling the flowers
. An intense
amount of labor is involved in
the work as the cauliflower is put into
huge tanks and left there for forty-
eight hours, after which it is taken
out and packed in casks. These are
stored In the large storehouse adjoining
until ready to be shipped.

There are at the present time over
15,000 casks stored , every one of
which stands in the factory $5 for
the cauliflower alone, besides the cost
of the cask and the expense of salting and packing.
The salted cauliflower is shipped
all over the country, some going as
ar as Seattle and Canada. A number
of shipments have been made to foreign
countries.

The Heinz people
have over a hundred salting stations
for cauliflower alone, a large number being located in Canada. Supt.
Griffing is very careful to buy only the
good quality of flowers, no spotted
ones being received. Besides the casks
stored in the warehouse there are
some 700 casks in pickle in the big
tanks. It is expected to increase the
capacity of the Jamesport plant, provided
the company can be assured of
sufficient help to handle the product.
The North Fork was short of labor then too. ;) In those days farm laborers would have been mostly Polish immigrants. That works out to over 170,000 lbs of cauliflower.

Sitting on the porch of the salting station are Mrs. V's grandmother, mother, uncle and and another unidentified child. Photo taken about 1921 by Mrs. V's grandfather.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm

I love this thread. :lovestruck: :bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:45 pm

RVInit wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm
I love this thread. :lovestruck: :bighug:
Me too.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Moi aussi. Love that photo and the history.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm

When my brother was in college in the 60s, he used to work for Henz picking tomatoes in Ohio in the summer. I think things have changed a lot since then. :(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:19 pm

The 1st of our summer visitors arrived today, my cousin from Massachusetts and her boyfriend. One of Mrs. V's early music friends from Texas arrives tomorrow. For the next 2 weeks the two of them will attend the Amherst Early Music event in New London.

With guests here we get out and about more. Had lunch in this 1941 diner-
But if you think that is old-

:)

That is the same Hallock farming family mentioned in the cauliflower post.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Bill_G wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 pm
Volkonski wrote:

Wonderful find.
A small plate from that set-

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Volkonski wrote:

Wonderful find.

That's excellent. Thanks!

We had a very eclectic set of mismatched service. Each piece was beautiful by itself, but absolutely nothing matched. It made for interesting dinner conversations, but very difficult to stack and store. We finally just gave it to the kids, and bought plain old bone white service for twelve, and Oneida flatware.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm

I like mixing and matching china more than matching pieces. I have put together a set from at least five different patterns. Now my dinner plates are going down in number, so I've been trying to find some plates that work with all my odd and ends. I have matched china and crystal, but they don't go in the dishwasher, so are boxed in the attic, even though I really love them.

I like that pattern with the sailboat and lighthouse and it looks wonderful for where they are being used.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm

I started collecting polish stoneware after being given a couple of pieces for Christmas. They are all different. Not only do I have dishes, but also have casserole and other baking dishes as well. When the table is set with all these different hand painted pieces it's really pretty, IMO. I used to have several sources, but after the 2008 economic disaster most of the people who were importing and selling them went out of business, probably due to lack of sales and lack of money to buy more pieces for their inventory. I haven't even checked to see if any of them are back in business, but I pretty much have everything that I need and additional pieces that I don't exactly need. :lol:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:40 pm
I like mixing and matching china more than matching pieces. I have put together a set from at least five different patterns. Now my dinner plates are going down in number, so I've been trying to find some plates that work with all my odd and ends. I have matched china and crystal, but they don't go in the dishwasher, so are boxed in the attic, even though I really love them.

I like that pattern with the sailboat and lighthouse and it looks wonderful for where they are being used.
Sugar Mags will be by to lecture you on that. :fingerwag:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 pm
AndyinPA wrote:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I had actually typed out a response to that and then deleted it!!!

If you really love them, USE THEM! It doesn't matter if you put them in the dishwasher. Do it anyway. So what if the pattern peels or it gets a chip. Doesn't the joy of seeing them and using them outweigh some crackling in the glaze? It gives them character and makes them more precious. As long as they are boxed up, pristine, in the attic, they are exactly like the millions of other plates in that pattern. Take them down and use them. Give them the wrinkles and scars and age lines that show a life well-lived and well-loved. Feed the dog from that precious serving bowl so he can enjoy it too. What good is the knowledge of just knowing you have it, if you don't have any memories of actually using it?

Every. Single. Person. I have ever had this conversation with has replied the same way.
Them: I have beautiful good china in a box that I don't use, but I love it.
Me: What does it look like?
Them: It's pink with flowers on it. Maybe some birds too.
Me: Do the flowers have leaves or vines?
Them: Umm, I think so, but I'm not sure which. Seems like there's some green on them.
Me: What kind of birds are they?
Them: Well, I'm not positive they are birds. It just seems like there is something in between the flowers and I'm pretty sure it's birds. Maybe blue?
Me: How can you love something so much you can't even describe it?
Them: .....

Take them out, use them, love them, make memories with them, treasure them as a part of your life, not as a part of your possessions. If it is wedding china, remember the joy and hope you felt while choosing the pattern. If it's inherited, remember the women it came from, and imagine their joy and hope while choosing it. Remember the Christmas dinners surrounded by family eating from the "precious" china. Remember the toasts to all the milestones and events made with those fine crystal glasses as you make more of your own.

And while I'm at it, take those damn quilts out of the attic, throw them in the washing machine and put them on the bed to USE!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:31 am

p.s. When my m-I-l passed, she had a full 16-piece place setting of very expensive Spode china, with all the extra serving pieces, still in the original boxes, from her wedding in 1949. My husband and his brother have zero memory of ever seeing the china used in their home. I didn't love the pattern or I would have kept it myself, so we tried to sell it. And tried. And tried. We finally got an offer of $50 for the entire set and felt lucky to get that. If you don't use it, no one will.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:21 pm
Bill_G wrote:
Volkonski wrote:

Wonderful find.

Coincidentally, we have had this decorative flag on the cottage for over 20 years. Don't know what it is made out of but it is very durable. :thumbs:

I think I sense a theme. ;)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am
Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 pm
AndyinPA wrote:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I had actually typed out a response to that and then deleted it!!!

If you really love them, USE THEM! It doesn't matter if you put them in the dishwasher. Do it anyway. So what if the pattern peels or it gets a chip. Doesn't the joy of seeing them and using them outweigh some crackling in the glaze? It gives them character and makes them more precious. As long as they are boxed up, pristine, in the attic, they are exactly like the millions of other plates in that pattern. Take them down and use them. Give them the wrinkles and scars and age lines that show a life well-lived and well-loved. Feed the dog from that precious serving bowl so he can enjoy it too. What good is the knowledge of just knowing you have it, if you don't have any memories of actually using it?

Every. Single. Person. I have ever had this conversation with has replied the same way.
Them: I have beautiful good china in a box that I don't use, but I love it.
Me: What does it look like?
Them: It's pink with flowers on it. Maybe some birds too.
Me: Do the flowers have leaves or vines?
Them: Umm, I think so, but I'm not sure which. Seems like there's some green on them.
Me: What kind of birds are they?
Them: Well, I'm not positive they are birds. It just seems like there is something in between the flowers and I'm pretty sure it's birds. Maybe blue?
Me: How can you love something so much you can't even describe it?
Them: .....

Take them out, use them, love them, make memories with them, treasure them as a part of your life, not as a part of your possessions. If it is wedding china, remember the joy and hope you felt while choosing the pattern. If it's inherited, remember the women it came from, and imagine their joy and hope while choosing it. Remember the Christmas dinners surrounded by family eating from the "precious" china. Remember the toasts to all the milestones and events made with those fine crystal glasses as you make more of your own.

And while I'm at it, take those damn quilts out of the attic, throw them in the washing machine and put them on the bed to USE!
Told ya!

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

My mother used her sterling silver every day, ran it through the dishwasher. Never tarnished. When she was in her last decline, we brought out the pink chocolate set from an 1860-ish ancestor (now in the possession of Her Highness Princess Foofypants) and the cut glass, and served her with the really good stuff. Everything had stories and she was happy to tell them.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:09 am

That is funny, and I do see the point. It's only been in the attic for about six or seven years. I did use it occasionally before the grandkids arrived. I needed a place to keep things that I have collected all over the world, have been gifted to me, are treasures from grandmothers, my mother, etc., that I didn't want to keep on tables any more. A lot of them were already there. I had to make a choice, put them away or put the china away. The things I collected have many more memories for me than the china. Actually, the granddaughter was not a problem for very long; at almost five, I've begun to think the grandson will always be a problem. :lol:

I do feel guilty about putting the china away and I nearly cried when I was packing it up, but I have no place for it now. I'm really not nearly so OCD as this must sound! But my husband is!

And neither of my quilts is in the attic! :thumbs:

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 am

Our dinner set is both matched & unmatched - we have Fiestaware sets (bowl, small plate, overly large plate, mug or cup & saucer) in around 11 colors. It all stacks perfectly but every place setting is different. When we're feeling really wild, we mix up the colors at each place setting instead of using the matching pieces. :lol:

Sugar - I completely agree with you about using what you own. We now have my parent's wedding silverware (the real stuff) that was never, ever used growing up. My mom was so scared it would be stolen, she hid it under the bed my entire & it never came out. To be fair to her, she grew up really, really poor in the Great Depression & had several odd kicks in her gallop as a result, one of which was fear of losing valuables. Long story short - we use it. Not as often as we should because it's in a crowded cabinet - but that cabinet is my next clear & weed project & one of my goals is to make it easier to get at, & use, the silver!

BTW - this is one of the reasons we have the Fiestaware instead of china - I knew we'd use it every day without worrying about it! Plus I love color!!

ETA - To bring this kinda sorta back on topic - I, too, love this thread. It's one of my favorite escapes from the real world.

Return to “The Lounge”