Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Volkonski

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am

Still stuck in Texas. Missing LI Craft Beer Week! :crying:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 am

Volkonski wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm
Just got an email from our North Fork lawn and garden service.
To our valued customers,

We apologize for the delays due to the late starting season. We have also been short laborers for getting all the work done. Please be assured that we are working hard to make sure all the jobs; Spring Clean-ups, weeding and mulching your gardens to get them ready for the summer will be completed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you need a (physically demanding) job and don't mind living 10 to a room, the North Fork is the place for you!
Except for the part about the physically demanding job, the rest of that sentence also describes summer house shares on the South Fork.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

Volkonski wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am

https:// www.facebook.com/jamesportfarmbrewery/p ... =3&theater
No one on LI able to take your orders at least for the canned product? I am sure there will be takers if you offer to pay for tasting ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am
Volkonski wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am

https:// www.facebook.com/jamesportfarmbrewery/p ... =3&theater
No one on LI able to take your orders at least for the canned product? I am sure there will be takers if you offer to pay for tasting ;)
It tastes better from a growler. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri May 11, 2018 6:20 pm

:crying: It will be 18 or 19 more days before we can leave to go north.

Popular food truck festival returns to Flanders May 18, 19 and 20

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/05/11/p ... 19-and-20/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 9:19 am

This brewery is the closest one to our North Fork home, only 3.3 miles as the minivan drives.

It is the only “Farm to Pint” brewery on Long Island. They grow their own hops and barley right there in Jamesport. Their farm used to be a potato farm. (Most of the North Fork used to be potato farms. ;) ) Turns out that hop plants like the same type of soil as potato plants.

It is good to know that Jamesport has a self sufficient brewery. You never know when the supply of hops from the North Fork hop farms in Mattituck, Laurel, Southold or Wading River might be disrupted. ;)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 4:10 pm

These are the only people that I have met who grow barley.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat May 12, 2018 4:49 pm

We were in Bruges while we were away. As you walk through the city you pass breweries and chocolate makers. I like some beer and had a good one there, but I much more preferred walking past the chocolate makers!

And I'm with you on the growlers as opposed to the cans, V.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:49 pm
We were in Bruges while we were away. As you walk through the city you pass breweries and chocolate makers. I like some beer and had a good one there, but I much more preferred walking past the chocolate makers!

And I'm with you on the growlers as opposed to the cans, V.
The last time Mrs., V. and I were in Antwerp for a couple of weeks we made two trips to Bruges. Toured one of the old breweries near the city center. It was about 6 stories high. Lots of stairs. I probably couldn't manage that tour today. ;)

Beer and chocolate are to be found everywhere in Belgium (also lace). :-D

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm

:-D

Yep. I brought home some chocolate and lace, but couldn't bring back the beer. I really enjoyed the one I had, though.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

We are still in Texas. :(
Mrs. V's cousin who lives down by the bay is very involved with this annual plant sale.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 4:21 pm

V,

I love this thread. You are so generous sharing all the very cool and wonderful goings on, as well as some of the less great things in both corners of your world. I sure can see why a person would want to live on the North Fork, it seems like a really great place, full of wonderful things to do, see, and experience. I hope there are still some great things in store for the rest of the season once you finally get back to the North Fork and that you are very soon back to where you are in charge of your time again!

:bighug:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun May 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Usually we go up to the North Fork in mid-April so we get to see the perennials poke up thru the ground and get the sprinkler system going for them. This year our perennials have been on their own. Happily there has been enough rain. :thumbs:

Mrs. V's cousin's (who lives on the circle) wife sent us these photos of one of our beds.

So far we have missed the daffodils, the lilies of the valley, the forsythia, the azaleas and much else besides. :( We will get a late start on the annuals and my vegetable deck plants. :crying:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun May 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Bleeding hearts? I can remember them from my childhood, but I don't see it around much any more.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm

:?

Long Island is now considered "ground zero" for Lyme disease and once-exotic viruses and other infections are gaining a growing foothold.

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/05/14/i ... -winnable/
CDC finds that these mosquito viruses and tick diseases have more than tripled from 2004 to 2016. Lyme disease no longer has its “ground zero,” its place of most frequent occurrence, in Lyme, Connecticut, the area for which it is named. Today, America’s ground zero for Lyme disease, according to the CDC, is right here on Long Island. The Northeast U.S. shares its own distinction: It is a major part of an “accelerating trend” of infections from these pests, which transmit these germs from their bite. These biting, disease-bearing pests are referred to as “vectors.” In this 12-year timeframe, nine newly discovered germs have spread rapidly from vectors’ bites, and ticks carry seven of these.

Actual epidemics from these vectors originate with mosquitos in other countries, but these once-exotic diseases have gained a growing foothold here in the U.S. West Nile virus has recently been joined in the US by viruses called Zika and Chikugunya for the first time. And a good argument can be made, though CDC dodges it, that a Lyme epidemic is well underway here on Long Island.

The CDC reported that 604,000 cases of these vector infections, mainly Lyme from ticks and viruses from mosquitos, occurred nationwide during this ’04 to ’16 time frame. In the casual tone that many government bureaucrats have mastered, the director of their Vector Borne Disease Division, Lyle Petersen, mentions matter-of-factly that the number of Lyme disease cases that occurs each year is at least ten times higher than is actually reported.

And then there’s the spread of these vectors. For example, doctors now report that Lone Star ticks, whose range was believed to be on the East Coast, are now feeding on their patients in Colorado. In fact, the CDC has documented that mosquito and tick infections have spread into vast, new areas. A thriving white tail dear population has become a major factor in this spread. Commerce also moves mosquitos, ticks and fleas around the world.
Too many deer. :(

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm
:?

Long Island is now considered "ground zero" for Lyme disease and once-exotic viruses and other infections are gaining a growing foothold.

https://riverheadlocal.com/2018/05/14/i ... -winnable/
CDC finds that these mosquito viruses and tick diseases have more than tripled from 2004 to 2016. Lyme disease no longer has its “ground zero,” its place of most frequent occurrence, in Lyme, Connecticut, the area for which it is named. Today, America’s ground zero for Lyme disease, according to the CDC, is right here on Long Island. The Northeast U.S. shares its own distinction: It is a major part of an “accelerating trend” of infections from these pests, which transmit these germs from their bite. These biting, disease-bearing pests are referred to as “vectors.” In this 12-year timeframe, nine newly discovered germs have spread rapidly from vectors’ bites, and ticks carry seven of these.

Actual epidemics from these vectors originate with mosquitos in other countries, but these once-exotic diseases have gained a growing foothold here in the U.S. West Nile virus has recently been joined in the US by viruses called Zika and Chikugunya for the first time. And a good argument can be made, though CDC dodges it, that a Lyme epidemic is well underway here on Long Island.

The CDC reported that 604,000 cases of these vector infections, mainly Lyme from ticks and viruses from mosquitos, occurred nationwide during this ’04 to ’16 time frame. In the casual tone that many government bureaucrats have mastered, the director of their Vector Borne Disease Division, Lyle Petersen, mentions matter-of-factly that the number of Lyme disease cases that occurs each year is at least ten times higher than is actually reported.

And then there’s the spread of these vectors. For example, doctors now report that Lone Star ticks, whose range was believed to be on the East Coast, are now feeding on their patients in Colorado. In fact, the CDC has documented that mosquito and tick infections have spread into vast, new areas. A thriving white tail dear population has become a major factor in this spread. Commerce also moves mosquitos, ticks and fleas around the world.
Too many deer. :(
deer - acorns - mice - extinction of the passenger pigeon. I've read lots of scientific papers about Lyme disease and how the extinction of the passenger pigeon may be one of the factors (some believe a very great factor) in the proliferation of the disease.
Off Topic
At any rate, we do know that food webs and other natural relationships are very complicated, and that nature is a delicate balance. The explosion of the human population has really helped make a mess of the natural world, in countless ways, from development and destruction of once wild areas in order to house humans, to the burning of massive amounts of fossil fuels for industry, home energy, and transportation. Sorry. I will stop now.

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/sto ... /13247505/

https://news.mongabay.com/2005/11/demis ... e-disease/

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 pm

My local wild turkeys were doing a fine job of eating deer ticks. Then the coyotes came.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 am

I got 6 Guinea hens soon after moving out here in an attempt to keep things like ticks, chiggers and even snakes in check. They were great for several weeks. They would wander around the property throughout the day, and gather every evening on the front porch rail. They crapped all over the edge of the porch each night, but it only took a minute to hose it off in the morning. All was good, until they all disappeared. 2 were gone one day, and after the next, the other four were nowhere to be found. A few weeks later, I got another 6, with the same reault. After a few weeks, none of them were left. I've since found out there is a large population of Guinea fowl living about a half mile east of me in the Trinity River flood plain. Apparently, no one near me can keep Guineas because they eventually hear this feral flock and go find them.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 am

I thought of buying some Guinea Hens for the same reason. This was after I had to take a friend to the emergency room. She had helped me in the gardens. Then I remembered that I have at least two local predators, the coyotes and the resident weasel known as the fisher cat. This is effectively in the far suburbs of New York City.

At least the local bear has not yet dropped by.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 15, 2018 1:22 pm

So many people have gotten Guinea fowl on the North Fork over the last few years that there are now feral flocks of them running around. :?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm

North Fork Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (NFUUF)
2 hrs ·
Our yard sale's date has been changed! We were going to have it on June 2 but needed to switch it. It is now set for Saturday July 7, rain date Sunday July 8 (in lieu of our Sunday service if that happens). PLEASE share the edited event far and wide!

The real reason they delayed the yard sale is so that Mrs. V. can attend. They make more money when she is there to buy things. ;)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Dallasite wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 am
I got 6 Guinea hens soon after moving out here in an attempt to keep things like ticks, chiggers and even snakes in check. They were great for several weeks. They would wander around the property throughout the day, and gather every evening on the front porch rail. They crapped all over the edge of the porch each night, but it only took a minute to hose it off in the morning. All was good, until they all disappeared. 2 were gone one day, and after the next, the other four were nowhere to be found. A few weeks later, I got another 6, with the same reault. After a few weeks, none of them were left. I've since found out there is a large population of Guinea fowl living about a half mile east of me in the Trinity River flood plain. Apparently, no one near me can keep Guineas because they eventually hear this feral flock and go find them.
Interesting! Don't tell the guineas where Princess lives!!!
BTW There are mirrors in the riding arena and ballet barres on the mirrored walls. The guineas enjoy sitting on a barre and admiring themselves in the mirror.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 pm

:o

Dangerous Storms Approaching Long Island: What You Need To Know
BREAKING: A severe thunderstorm watch has been issued for Long Island. Lime-size hail and an isolated tornado are possible.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... aign=alert
"Get ready for a rough ride between 4pm to 8pm from west to east. Wind gusts of 60 mph or more heavy rains and hail are possible," Joe Cioffi, a meteorologist for WPIX-TV and FiOS1 News, wrote on his website. "The slow moving cold front will pass offshore tonight."
If we were on the North Fork now we would be wrapping the new minivan in blankets to protect it from possible hail. :?

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm
Just got an email from our North Fork lawn and garden service.
To our valued customers,

We apologize for the delays due to the late starting season. We have also been short laborers for getting all the work done. Please be assured that we are working hard to make sure all the jobs; Spring Clean-ups, weeding and mulching your gardens to get them ready for the summer will be completed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you need a (physically demanding) job and don't mind living 10 to a room, the North Fork is the place for you!
Thanks, Trump!
On the bright side, at least our New York border is secure. Wait. :confused:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat May 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Student's Threat To Shoot Christians 'Non-Criminal': Police

https://patch.com/new-york/riverhead/st ... nal-police
SOUTHOLD, NY — A student threat to shoot "Catholics and Christians" at a North Fork High school was deemed "non-criminal," police said.

According to Southold Town Police Chief Martin Flatley, the incident, where a student threatened to shoot others from those religious groups, was reported by Southold High School Thursday, fully investigated, "and found to be non-criminal and not a threat," he said.

Tensions have been high nationwide after the Parkland, FL shooting and a most recent shooting in Texas Friday that left 10 dead.
That is the whole article. Sort of leaves one curious as to why it was considered non-criminal and not a threat. :?

Return to “The Lounge”