Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

RVInit

Re: Meanwhile on the North Fork.............

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:37 pm I have cancelled my annual summer trip to upstate New York. No Saratoga Springs area brews. No horse exercising at the track. :(
How disappointing that must be. I feel more fortunate than most, as my normal activity is not as much interrupted as many others, given that I'm pretty much a home body. But I can certainly understand and empathize with many of you whose activities are impacted. :bighug:

On the bright side, think of how wonderful it will be when you can visit upstate New York again. It will be a real celebration. I hope that can happen sooner rather than later. We must get the pustule out of the White House first, then we will have a federal government that will take responsibility and make recovery a priority. We must get the 'thugs out of the Senate, too.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: Hubby loved "the pustule".
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The good news-

Our favorite Italian restaurant on the North Fork now offers Keto friendly cauliflower crust pizza. :thumbs:

The bad news-

Probably be next year before we can try it. :(
110280511_10157535684682895_6863743077231442595_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A light in the dark: five rescued off sinking speed boat by Cross Sound Ferry

https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/20 ... 3_PxRIun2A
APT. MIKE WARD pulled out of Orient at 8 p.m. Sunday aboard the Cape Henlopen, headed for New London. Not far out, near the Plum Island buoy, he saw a strobe light flashing in the darkness.

“That wasn’t a good sign,” he said. “They were forecasting fog for that night up until 11 a.m. We saw this strobe light north of the buoy and we decided to check it out. We could see it was a vessel in distress, with five people on board.”

“I told the guys to get the rescue boat ready and I alerted the Coast Guard,” Mr. Ward said. “We launched the rescue boat with two crew members aboard, Gerald Flanders and James Payton. We retrieved the five people and brought them alongside the ferry and we lowered a cradle to get them aboard.”

After the five were safely aboard a Coast Guard boat from Fishers Island arrived and stayed on scene to make sure everything was OK. “The whole thing took about 15 minutes,” Mr. Ward said.
The Cape Henlopen when it was the USS LST-510 participated in the D-Day landing. A small museum on board commemorates this. The Cape Henlopen is my favorite of the Cross Sound ferries. I have ridden on it many times. :)
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

That is so cool! I spent 27 years in the Coast Guard. I love me a good rescue story with a happy ending.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A minute on the North Fork's Love Lane. This was on Friday. I am shocked by how few people are there. :shock: Normally it would be packed on a mid-summer Friday.

https://northforker.com/2020/08/one-min ... -love-lane.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

In the aftermath of Isaias Mrs. V's cousin (who lives down by the bay) tells us that they are still without power. (Not too much of a problem for her and her husband as they have a natural gas fueled whole house generator.)

However she did get to the Circle and reports that there are no trees down on our property.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:54 pm In the aftermath of Isaias Mrs. V's cousin (who lives down by the bay) tells us that they are still without power. (Not too much of a problem for her and her husband as they have a natural gas fueled whole house generator.)

However she did get to the Circle and reports that there are no trees down on our property.
:clap:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:54 pm In the aftermath of Isaias Mrs. V's cousin (who lives down by the bay) tells us that they are still without power. (Not too much of a problem for her and her husband as they have a natural gas fueled whole house generator.)

I was wondering how Lawn Guyland fared given how bad it is here. In CT, 40% of electric customers across the entire state were without power, and the crews are just starting to get to the trees that were tangled up with the neighborhood electrical feeder lines. There are still some state highways which remain blocked 48 hours after the storm because of downed wires. Usually, they make state highways and busier roads a priority, but apparently they have been completely overwhelmed.

Surprisingly, cell service seems to have really suffered in this storm. Voice calls are marginal in areas were reception was pretty good a week ago, and there has been a marked deterioration in data service. It doesn't really seem to matter which carrier -- they're all pretty significantly affected. I don't recall such disruption to the cellular network in Sandy or any of the other big storms of the last 5-10 years.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Sounds like the entire east coast got pounded, glad the house and trees are alright.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

More LI shark sightings.
News12LI
@News12LI
#JONESBEACH: Swimming is prohibited at Field 2, Field 1 and West Bathhouse until further notice. Water waveShark
http://longisland.news12.com/story/4247 ... k-sighting
Swimming is prohibited at some areas of Jones Beach this Sunday after another shark sighting this morning.

New York State Parks officials say that a fisherman caught a shark this morning at Jones Beach Field 2.

Swimming is prohibited at Field 2, Field 1 and West Bathhouse until further notice.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Depressing.

Riverhead schools' budget cuts eliminate all sports, other programs for 2020-21

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/edu ... 1.48047025
A divided Riverhead school board has cut more than $2.3 million from its budget, eliminating the entire sports program, after-school music and other activities as the district becomes the only one on Long Island operating under austerity conditions for the 2020-21 school year.

Riverhead, a growing district of about 5,700 students, was forced to adopt a bare-bones "contingency" budget after a larger $147.1 million spending plan was rejected in two consecutive ballots. The second attempt failed by just 59 votes, 2,108 to 2,049.

The final budget of $144.8 million essentially freezes property taxes at last year's level while also clamping specific limits on administrative spending. Taxation restrictions are set by the state's strict tax-cap law, now in its eighth year of enforcement.

All competitive sports programs — varsity, junior varsity and middle school — are gone for the year, at a savings of more than $960,000. Also eliminated are concerts and other after-school music performances, along with most student clubs, field trips and late buses.
Riverhead has about 35,000 residents so those vote totals are depressing.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

How COVID-19 has impacted some North Fork farms

https://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview ... Ve-A3TsFtI
As the COVID-19 pandemic hit, shutting down the wholesale and restaurant industries virtually overnight, Mr. Corwin was forced to lay off 70 of his approximately 84 employees. “I’ve never seen a year where you had to make so many radical decisions. I’ve never laid off anyone in my life … to have 70 people at once,” he said. “To survive, you’ve got to do that.”

:snippity:

Their massive commercial operation, which typically produces one million Long Island Pekin ducks each year, supplies to restaurants worldwide, including fine dining institutions like Jean-Georges in Manhattan.

:snippity:

At the 165-acre Schmitt’s Family Farm in Riverhead, farm crews returned in February to begin digging their signature crop.

“It killed the horseradish business,” owner Phil Scmitt said of the COVID-19 shutdown. The spicy root vegetable is a top seller around spring holidays, like Passover and Easter.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

One Minute on the North Fork, ice cream edition. :-D

We went there often when our daughters were little.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

life goes on without us. :(

Railroad Museum of Long Island's '64 - '65 New York World's Fair G-16 Park train from the Long Island Rail Road Pavillion makes its "safety" run around the property prior to carrying patrons for the day.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:21 pm life goes on without us. :(

Railroad Museum of Long Island's '64 - '65 New York World's Fair G-16 Park train from the Long Island Rail Road Pavillion makes its "safety" run around the property prior to carrying patrons for the day.
I want that job. :blink:
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:07 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:21 pm life goes on without us. :(

I want that job. :blink:
I've driven that train. :)
Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

What is that piece of equipment at 47 seconds?
Tiredretiredlawyer

That was soothing.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:26 pm That was soothing.
Except for the screeching sounds. I had to turn off the sound. ;)
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer

RVInit wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 am
Those are the most soothing! My mom and dad worked for railroads testing the roadbed soils and designing new ones. My boys also loved trains when they were small. All the train noises seem relaxing to me.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:36 am
RVInit wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:06 am
Those are the most soothing! My mom and dad worked for railroads testing the roadbed soils and designing new ones. My boys also loved trains when they were small. All the train noises seem relaxing to me.
When I was a kid, there was a railroad crossing maybe a half mile from me. I found the horn at all hours of the night lonely but soothing — it didn't wake me but if I happened to hear it. I saw recently residents lobbied for and got a quiet zone at that spot. Part of why I don't long to go home the way I used to.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

This will probably surprise no one, but I have always loved the sound of trains. I think I have almost always lived within the sound of a train, including now. There are two lines at the bottom of my hill, one overhead and one with a crossing signal.

I lived for a few years where there were a hospital, a fire station, and a police station nearby. I did not enjoy that.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “The Lounge”